TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

While several people have stated that SFMM and SFGAdv get most of the newer rides to their parks, also take into account all of the rides they have lost over the years. So SFA has lost a lot of rides but the two aforementioned parks have lost a lot more in comparison. All those flat rides Great Adventure added in '99 are pretty much gone.

I've never been to SFA but would like to sometime if I ever get back down in that area again. I get the impression that the park is not in the greatest of areas. By adding big time coasters and such wouldn't that draw the clientele that seem to keep families away?

Yeah those parks have lost more rides than SFA, but they have also gained more rides then SFA. SFA loses rides with no replacements. Which would you rather have; a park that loses rides without replacements, or a park that loses rides but replaces them...

While several people have stated that SFMM and SFGAdv get most of the newer rides to their parks, also take into account all of the rides they have lost over the years. So SFA has lost a lot of rides but the two aforementioned parks have lost a lot more in comparison. All those flat rides Great Adventure added in '99 are pretty much gone.

I've never been to SFA but would like to sometime if I ever get back down in that area again. I get the impression that the park is not in the greatest of areas. By adding big time coasters and such wouldn't that draw the clientele that seem to keep families away?

Yeah those parks have lost more rides than SFA, but they have also gained more rides then SFA. SFA loses rides with no replacements. Which would you rather have; a park that loses rides without replacements, or a park that loses rides but replaces them...

Case in point:Iron eagle.

The park could've replaced it with a new flat,which wouldn't have been too costly but what did they replace it with? a stage of all things!!!SFA doesn't compete with GRADV,both parks are part of the same corporate chain so how can they compete with one another?granted when the park was Adventure World it was in competition with SFGRADV but hasn't been in such a competition ever since the company that once owned AW bought SF from time warner in 98.

^Just because the parent company is the same doesn't mean that SFGAdv and SFA can't compete.

Customer A lives an hour and a half a way from both parks and feels that his/her family can get more for their money by going to SFGAdv over SFA. That's money that's going directly to Great Adventure and contributes to the general performance of that park. They may both have "Six Flags" in their name but they're still separate entities with their own operating budgets.

I've been to both parks and I know that I'm more likely to return to Great Adventure. That's still lost revenue for America.

Did anyone realize how many rides SFA has lost? I got alittle sad reading this on SFAfans.com

http://www.sfafans.com/showthread.php?t=5723

All those rides gone, and in replacement, Thomas Town which is mainly moved rides with 3 actually new rides!! Yayy!!

Good point, but all parks lose rides. Also, does anyone realize how many rides at Six Flags America get little to no ridership on an average summer day that would demand a queue at almost any other park? I seriously can't believe how such a large park can stay operating, with such low attendance and so many rides that cost __ dollars to operate a piece.

^I agree with that point. In the summer I live 50 minutes from SFA (and three hours from SFGAd) and I have visited SFGAd more in the past 3 years than I have visited SFA. That being said I am not a "normal" enthusiast that visits their local park 15 times a year. I couldn't stand visiting any place much more than twice a year....but anyway my money is easily going to SFGAd, and I am a "local."

^Just because the parent company is the same doesn't mean that SFGAdv and SFA can't compete.

Customer A lives an hour and a half a way from both parks and feels that his/her family can get more for their money by going to SFGAdv over SFA. That's money that's going directly to Great Adventure and contributes to the general performance of that park. They may both have "Six Flags" in their name but they're still separate entities with their own operating budgets.

I've been to both parks and I know that I'm more likely to return to Great Adventure. That's still lost revenue for America.

I agree, I would rather take my money to SFGA or heck even drive down to SFOG. I just wish SFI would sell the park so someone else can make it what it deserves to be.

GADV is about 45 minutes away from me, yet i still travel to SFA quite a few times a season. Why? because i have an all around better time at SFA. for one, waterpark is connected to the amusement side. also, SFA actually has non-coaster rides. To me, the only rides that stand out at GADV that bring me back are toro, bizzarro, and GASM (RIP). Batwing absolutely pwns superman, while im not a huge fan of Superman ROS, i feel it is superior to nyquill, wild one is absolutely amazing, and jinx is super fun and re-rideable.

is the park lacking? IMO, the only thing SFA is lacking as of this past season is some sort of theme/scenery in the back section of the park. operations and staff friendliness were pretty solid this season as well.

GADV is about 45 minutes away from me, yet i still travel to SFA quite a few times a season. Why? because i have an all around better time at SFA. for one, waterpark is connected to the amusement side. also, SFA actually has non-coaster rides. To me, the only rides that stand out at GADV that bring me back are toro, bizzarro, and GASM (RIP). Batwing absolutely pwns superman, while im not a huge fan of Superman ROS, i feel it is superior to nyquill, wild one is absolutely amazing, and jinx is super fun and re-rideable.

is the park lacking? IMO, the only thing SFA is lacking as of this past season is some sort of theme/scenery in the back section of the park. operations and staff friendliness were pretty solid this season as well.

SFA water park is dull and boring IMO. Probably because I have been going there for so many years. SFA does not have that many more flats then SFGA IMO too, just about 4 more.

Now I do not count water slides and kiddie rides.

SFA Flats:

-Skycoaster (have to pay)

-Sonora Speedway (have to pay)

-Tower of Doom

-Falling Star

-Cyclone

-Penguin's Blizzard River

-Capitol Railways

-Carousel

-Coyote Creek Crazy Cars

-Flying Carousel

-Great Race Antique Cars

-High Seas

-Pirates Flight

-Renegade Rapids

-Riddle Me This

-Shipwreck Falls

-Tea Cups

-Rodeo

SFGA Flats:

-Dare Devil Dive (have to pay)

-erUPtion (have to pay)

-The Twsiter

-Big Wheel

-Carousel

-Congo Rapids

-Dream Street Skyway

-Enchanted Teacups

-Fantasy Fling

-Great American Road Race

-Jolly Roger

-Parachute Training Center

-Rockwall (have to pay)

-The Buccaneer

Did anyone realize how many rides SFA has lost? I got alittle sad reading this on SFAfans.com

All those rides gone, and in replacement, Thomas Town which is mainly moved rides with 3 actually new rides!! Yayy!!

Good point, but all parks lose rides. Also, does anyone realize how many rides at Six Flags America get little to no ridership on an average summer day that would demand a queue at almost any other park? I seriously can't believe how such a large park can stay operating, with such low attendance and so many rides that cost __ dollars to operate a piece.

^I agree with that point. In the summer I live 50 minutes from SFA (and three hours from SFGAd) and I have visited SFGAd more in the past 3 years than I have visited SFA. That being said I am not a "normal" enthusiast that visits their local park 15 times a year. I couldn't stand visiting any place much more than twice a year....but anyway my money is easily going to SFGAd, and I am a "local."

Yeah but ten or eleven years ago the park was much busier than now...simply put,when the new rides stopped coming so did the people especially when they had KD to go to as an alternate choice & they were busy adding new rides on a yearly basis.

First... I'm the one that created that thread on sfafans.com.

Second, let's correct something... Every ride in Thomas Town is new with exception of two, Sodor's Carnival use to be Around The World in 80 Days and Bertie the Bus is partially new. Bertie has new bus shell on it but the rest of the ride is the old Daffy's Movie Town Tour

Third... To be completely fair I created a second article on sfafans.com that describes how far the park has come in the past five years. Read that article here:

http://www.sfafans.com/showthread.php?t=5729

Fourth.... From what I've been hearing Thomas Town has been a success for the park.

KDCOASTERFAN How do you know how busy the park is? When is the last time you stepped foot in it?

^How is the park doing this year compared to other years? I'm hearing several people say it hasn't been even as busy as usual? Or could it just be people that like to be the parks "doomsday clock keepers"? But, I know the one time I went this year it was actually pretty packed!

It all depends on when you go. I can't speak much about weekdays since I work but I can tell you overall the park is pretty busy on weekends with Thomas Town being one of the busier areas of the park. Lines out of the queue for Thomas, Harold, Cranky (Cranky gives a pretty decent ride even for adults) and Sodor's Carnival on weekends. Thomas Town was designed so that kids and adults can ride together. Which is something the park sorely needed. With the hot summer Washington/Baltimore had, the waterpark was a big hit. Overall, I think the park had a great summer.

Yeah but ten or eleven years ago the park was much busier than now...simply put,when the new rides stopped coming so did the people especially when they had KD to go to as an alternate choice & they were busy adding new rides on a yearly basis.

I'm sorry. I must have forgotten Kings Dominion is adding amazing new rides EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Let's look, shall we?

2010: Intimidator 305(KD), Thomad Town(SFA)

2009: El Dorado and Americana (KD, Americana has TERRIBLE capacity), Nothing(SFA)

2008: Dominator (KD), Tony Hawk's Halfpipe Slide (SFA)

2007: Waterworks Overhaul (KD), Nothing (SFA)

2006: Backlot Stunt Coaster, FoF shut down until Mid-August. Go Karts added for additional fee (KD), Nothing (SFA)

2005: The Crypt (KD), Hurricaine Harbor Overhaul, 3 New Slides (SFA)

2004: Scooby Doo & The Haunted Mansion (KD), Nothing (SFA)

2003: Drop Tower & Spongebob 3-D (KD), Penguin's Blizzard River (SFA)

2002: Ricochet and Triple Spin (KD), Nothing (SFA)

2001: Hypersonic XLC (KD), Batwing & Skycoaster (SFA)

2000: Pipeline Peak (KD), S:ROS (SFA)

So let's review. SFA recieved 2 new Coasters, KD recieved 5 Coasters, one of which was removed. Of those 4/5 Additions to KD, one, maybe 2 are truely Great Coasters. Of the two added to SFA, S:ROS is a Great Coaster, and I personally enjoy batwing.

Kings Dominion added 1 ride which required an additional fee, as did SFA.

Kings Dominion added 6 flats, 7 if you include Drop Tower. SFA added/relocated 5 Flat Rides, and Penguin's Blizzard River.

Kings Dominion lost Hypersonic XLC, along with Diamond Falls. SFA Lost Two Face: The Flip Side, and 8 Flat Rides, several of which were simply re-located to Thomas Town.

Both parks significantly expanded their waterpark.

Yes, SFA may not recieve additions at the same rate as KD, but when you look at the past ten years, how many of King's Dominion's additions have been "amazing" additions?

^They don't have to be "amazing" or big additions,the fact that KD made them while SFA has taken more of that same time period off is the major difference....the last true thrill ride that SFA added that wasn't a waterpark addition was PBR back in 03.I just don't see this park surviving much longer without a new influx of major rides.

The last time I visited was in summer,07 but when the announcement was made for THHP as the new for 08 waterpark attraction that's when I'd had enough of waiting for things to happen,I'd still like to see the park make a change for the better & begin adding new rides again,as do a lot of people(I read their posts on the SFA FB page daily) then I may consider buying a pseason pass again but until the folks at corporate figure out that a large part of the problem with this park is a lack of new attractions & get off of this SFMM,SFGRADV,SFGRAM kick that they've been stuck in for the good part of the past decade then things aren't going to improve & my chances of coming back are next to none.

With the exception of 2007, Six Flags America has recieved a new addition every other year. A major addition? No. But nevertheless, they have recieved additions to the park. So, hopefully next year we can get a moderate sized roller coaster (maybe a wild mouse?)

And second, I don't understand your logic... You'll come back when Six Flags adds a major addition, but it doesn't necessarily have to be good?

I personally feel a small, compact, family coaster, something like a Wild Mouse, or the "Pandemonium" coasters Six Flags embraced for the past five or so years, would be a nice fit for the park.

But if you are looking for a "major addition" year after year, you obviously need to continue having an orgasm over KD "continuing to add rides on a yearly basis. sp0ng3b0b 3-d! Suck-it SFA!!!!111!!1!"

Not only will he not go back until a new addition to the park is made, he refuses to go at all just to see how the new management team has improved the park. IMHO, Six Flags America is worth visiting at least once a year if you can get a $20 deal to get into the park.

Not only will he not go back until a new addition to the park is made, he refuses to go at all just to see how the new management team has improved the park. IMHO, Six Flags America is worth visiting at least once a year if you can get a $20 deal to get into the park.

I agree with you. It is a park to go to for the day with a bunch of friends and have a good time.

Fright Fest starts next weekend! Here's the list of attractions:

Honestly, two mazes, a train ride, and a show or two? I know it's only Six Flags America but even they can do better than this. Most of this event seems geared towards kids, which I find somewhat dissapointing .

I'm sure you mean a show or FIVE, which is how many shows there are: Blood Moon Rising, Monster Mash Bash, Frightmares, Magic of the Night, Mr. Six Spooktacular. I know lots of people seem to think that the money and manpower to do things in the park for Fright Fest is unlimited, but that's ignorance, and not going to actually SEE the attractions before passing judgement is even MORE ignorance. You should go to see the stunt show and ride the train. Trust me, you'll enjoy it.

I'm sure you mean a show or FIVE, which is how many shows there are: Blood Moon Rising, Monster Mash Bash, Frightmares, Magic of the Night, Mr. Six Spooktacular. I know lots of people seem to think that the money and manpower to do things in the park for Fright Fest is unlimited, but that's ignorance, and not going to actually SEE the attractions before passing judgement is even MORE ignorance. You should go to see the stunt show and ride the train. Trust me, you'll enjoy it.

I did, the train was really good! I got scared towards the end of the "woods" and screamed so loud I think the entire park heard it

Okay so I have a few minutes (PSATs SUCK) so let me type up the TR:

First things first, I love the decorations. There isn't a place in the park (with the exception of Thomas Town) that lacks a pumpkin, or a cleaverly placed gravestone, or some eerie cobwebs. Onto the one ride I did ride, SROS, that was running incredibly well in my opinion. Now, onto the "Fright Fest" activities:

Magic of the Night: 4/10. The large majority of his tricks were easily recognizable, really nothing special. However, he was certainly great with the audience.

Circus of Lost Souls: 7/10. Don't get me wrong, this ride was GREAT! What wasn't great, was that it broke down for over an hour and a half. The story was also somewhat hard to follow. Something about a demented circus, rednecks, and hypnotism. The train ride was pretty neat, but not too terrifying. The Freak Show was... pretty freaky. The Trail of Terror was pretty good/scary. I have now deduced from a combination of logic, memories of the maze, and nightmares that nothing is more horrifying than a clown chasing after you with a chain-saw.

Scare Actors: 9/10. Unlike other parks with "Scare-Zones" Six Flags has a handful of seemingly random Scare Actors. Some are better than others, but the best was an actor dressed up in wierd black Harry-Potter Esque robes. He wound sit on a rock or some sort and than literally pounce and slide on the ground. It was pretty funny to see people freak out when he screamed... from right by their feet.

Well, the train being broken killed most of our night, so no Bride of Terror for me . But what I did experience was really good. It was certainly a lot more than I was expecting from Six Flags tbh.

SFMM is getting three coasters next season... Seriously, could Six Flags just do the DC area a favor and sell the park to someone who will actually make investments into it? It would be nice to have a decent park that is worth visiting more than once every few seasons less than an hour away. I've made excuses for the park and Six Flags Inc. but this is just plain ridiculous.

SFMM is getting three coasters next season... Seriously, could Six Flags just do the DC area a favor and sell the park to someone who will actually make investments into it? It would be nice to have a decent park that is worth visiting more than once every few seasons less than an hour away. I've made excuses for the park and Six Flags Inc. but this is just plain ridiculous.

Well, isn't the Superman ride just a 'reverse' of what it is now? So it's actually only 2 new coasters.. and one of them is a kiddie coaster right? So pretty much just the Zacspin is new for 'adults'. I get what you are saying though. At least you don't have to drive 2 hours just to get to a park

Yeah I heard about it through FB this morning & WHY am I not suprised?Sure the rehab on S:TE is just turning a car around to run in reverse but still that takes money...money that would've been better off being invested in one of the other parks like SFA that havn't seen any new thrill rides for the teen/adult market in quite some time.

I'd like to see the park be sold to an operator that would invest in it but SFI won't consider that as if they did sell to another park operator & said operator made the needed investments to improve the park it would become a threat to SFGRADV.SFI can get away with giving the park the shaft year after year because they simply market SFGRADV with their season pass promotions.

Prior to SFI running the park Premiere parks had to keep investing in Adventure world (as SFA was then known) because SFGRADV was a rival park in the regional market along with HP,KD & BGW but now that SFI owns both parks they no longer need to invest in the Maryland facility when they can make more of a profit off of SFGRADV.