TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

quote="KDCOASTERFAN"]

I guess having one of the spoiled parks in your backyard does that to you.

I could care less about SFMM

Even one of the flagship parks attracts less people than Knott's Berry Farm, and that I find funny. I dislike Six flags parks due to the dim-witted attitudes that arise within SFI. They still have that attitude of just building, building, building, and Shapiro said he wouldn't just plop down rides when due land was avialbe . SFI, in my mind, has to be the worse Themepark related company. If they actually pushed themselves, the whole Image of Six flags parks will liven up. If you think I'm just bashing on SFA, I bash on most Sixflags parks.

Well to tell you the truth, me and KDCOASTERFAN would love for SFA to be a park like Great Adventure, Magic Mountain or Great America. All we are asking for is investment and to not go 10 years without adding a major coaster. I don't think any Six Flags parks or theme park in general deserves that kind of neglect. And like we have mentioned, they took coasters away from us and replaced them with nothing. At least when Great Adventure and Great America lost rides they replaced them with other attractions. I'm hoping, that Weber will not be the same way and if there are any people still on the board that think like that; he should replace them.

Shapiro's problem is, he did not know how to run a theme park and neither did Snyder. Snyder's interest in Six Flags was not to make the parks better. It was to make himself richer. Thats why he never made himself the CEO, which I always thought was weird. His interest was tearing down SFA and turning it in to shuttle parking for FED EX Field. The county had it's eye on that and with losing seasons for the Redskins, it never really worked out in his favor, so lets be happy we have Weber. Again, Weber has 40 years of theme park experienced.

Just to give everyone the executive summary of this thread:

Six Flags parks with many coasters = spoiled parks

Cedar Fair parks with many coasters = best amusement parks in the world

The thing is about Cedar Fair that sets them better than Six Flags Inc is that they don't spoil the parks more than the other ones. Both Kings Dominion and Kings Island are set to be pretty much equal to one another. As for their other properties, they try and give them investments. With the way Shapiro was running things for Six Flags Inc, you never knew what ride was going to end up leaving next if you lived near SFA.

I've also noticed that people are not mentioning how bad Shapiro ruined SFA's Fright Fest. He got rid of everything that was attracting people to the park for Fright Fest. Why did he get rid of Brutal Planet, Zombora, and Hall Manor all in the same year?

Can someone tell me when the last post of actual substance about the park was posted? Because I'm really having a hard time finding it.

Thank you!

--Robb

Sorry Rob, we went off into a tangent. It won't happen again.

As for SFA, my employee friend mentioned that SFA may be bringing back some of it's oldie Fright Fest attractions, but it has not been confirmed yet. The only oldie I can see them bringing back is Zombora. Hall Manor's building was destroyed and never rebuilt. Brutal Planet's old building was turned into a maintenance shop back in 2006. They could bring back the haunted-hay ride if they really wanted to. I liked it better when they used the old wooded area near Wild One. The course that they used near Superman years ago was pretty good too. One thing that spiced up the haunted hay-ride was the dinosaur animatronic, but I think it's been destroyed in a lot of equipment being moved around. I don't want to see them do the train ride again because it wasn't scary. If they really wanted to make the train ride better, they would have to really put some good actors back in the woods and have them scare people while they are on the train.

Just to give everyone the executive summary of this thread:

Six Flags parks with many coasters = spoiled parks

Cedar Fair parks with many coasters = best amusement parks in the world

The thing is about Cedar Fair that sets them better than Six Flags Inc is that they don't spoil the parks more than the other ones. Both Kings Dominion and Kings Island are set to be pretty much equal to one another. As for their other properties, they try and give them investments. With the way Shapiro was running things for Six Flags Inc, you never knew what ride was going to end up leaving next if you lived near SFA.

You do realize that CGA's newest coaster is from 2001, right? While pretty much every one of their properties (sans CGA and KBF...I guess kinda MiA too) has gotten some big@$$ coaster within the past couple years. So...

Can someone tell me when the last post of actual substance about the park was posted? Because I'm really having a hard time finding it.

Thank you!

--Robb

You're probably right but this is one of the more entertaining threads around.

To be perfectly honest, the more I read this thread, the more :facepalm: I see... -_-

Are you referring to the whole thread or the posts of one particular dead horse beater?

Getting mugged in DC > Getting mugged at SFA

I'm referring to a collective group of dead horse beaters.

Getting mugged anywhere >>> SFA

Answering a previously asked question a few pages back in this thread with a factual answer: John Winkler became SFA's Park President in the fall of 2008. He had spent much of the past decade at Six Flags Great Adventure as their Park President.

Now for my opinion.

If SFA is never going to amount to anything, why would SFI relocate arguably one of their top Park Presidents to SFA?

Under his watch at SFGAdv he was a part of the Medusa to El Toro era.

There's only so much the GM/president can do on his/her own as corporate has to approve the requests for funding & new attractions.

Answering a previously asked question a few pages back in this thread with a factual answer: John Winkler became SFA's Park President in the fall of 2008. He had spent much of the past decade at Six Flags Great Adventure as their Park President.

Now for my opinion.

If SFA is never going to amount to anything, why would SFI relocate arguably one of their top Park Presidents to SFA?

There's only so much the GM/president can do on his/her own as corporate has to approve the requests for funding & new attractions.

Your right KDCOASTERFAN. I think that was the problem before when we had the GM before Terry Prather came. I forgot his name, but people always said that he wasn't a good GM due to all the ride break downs. For all we know, he could have been doing his all to make sure that the rides worked good. If corporate is not funding the park to get parts, what more can he do. Not only that but I kind of liked the GM that we had before Terry Prather. He made sure that security guards sat at most of the rides through out the day so that people did not line cut. I wish they would bring that back.

Now for my opinion.

Your right KDCOASTERFAN. I think that was the problem before when we had the GM before Terry Prather came. I forgot his name, but people always said that he wasn't a good GM due to all the ride break downs. For all we know, he could have been doing his all to make sure that the rides worked good. If corporate is not funding the park to get parts, what more can he do. Not only that but I kind of liked the GM that we had before Terry Prather. He made sure that security guards sat at most of the rides through out the day so that people did not line cut. I wish they would bring that back.

IIRC Janet Porter was the park's GM prior to Prather coming in & she was there since the AW days.

I wish they would have let her stay as GM. We would have had someone that was familiar with the park. Better yet, she probably would have convinced Shapiro to let Brutal Planet stay as a Fright Fest attraction. Terry Prather was our GM the year that Shapiro took it away, so of course he didn't know the value that it was for SFA's Fright Fest. Same thing goes for Two-Face and Iron Eagle. Shapiro has nobody to explain to him how valuable those rides were to the park.

Iron Eagle was closed the entire day during at least 75% of my visits to SFA... Two Face was regularly a walk on the entire summer I worked on it and was also closed half the time. There's a reason why those rides are gone and why there's practically none of them in existence elsewhere in the world.

On that note - are there any rotoshakes still in operation?

If anything I was more mad when Sky Escaper was removed since other parks have managed to continue keep their's running just fine over the years.

I wish they would have let her stay as GM. We would have had someone that was familiar with the park. Better yet, she probably would have convinced Shapiro to let Brutal Planet stay as a Fright Fest attraction. Terry Prather was our GM the year that Shapiro took it away, so of course he didn't know the value that it was for SFA's Fright Fest. Same thing goes for Two-Face and Iron Eagle. Shapiro has nobody to explain to him how valuable those rides were to the park.

Iron eagle became a maintenance nightmare simply due to it's over complicated mechanical systems,even KBF had problems with their roto-shake getting stuck mid cycle & removed it & put a top spin in it's place.

Its too bad, rotoshakes were insane rides, I loved the roll over beginning, mid-cycle pause at the top and the grand finale hanging upside down for a few seconds... Such an awesome ride. The beginning was always hilarious, you could hear everyone's change fall out of their pockets and smack the ground during the first couple roll overs. I have to say as much as I miss Iron Eagle (when it was actually open), SFA has done a pretty good job lately keeping the stage that took its place filled with bands that liven up the atmosphere in that area a bit.

This is my first post just wanted to say hi to everyone as sfa is my home park.

Anyone know if the tony hawk spin coaster is a definite replace for two face????

Now i've seen a lot of trash talk about SFA and how its a crumby park with lots of problems and it seems that everyone one's answer to make the park great is a new giga coaster. Personally yes i think it's time for a new coaster, but it is not the only problem with the park. First when i go a park i get much enjoyment from the overall experience not just the rides. So to me theaming, enthusiastic staff, food/restaurants and shows are a big part of what makes a great park. To start out with the last couple of years the park has seemed run down and tired. Jokers jinx and mind eraser are good examples of this. Also only a few of the park employees have been doing the high fives most of the ride operators make me feel I'm an inconvience to them. Next what happened to the batman show, the others are great and enjoy taking a break from the crowd to watch em. Now the biggest problem i have with sfa is one, the rides are always breaking down through out the day, i go to the park atleast every other week and every time atleast one or two of the coasters have been shutdown. The next big problem i have is the general public themselves, most of the patrons there are rude, pushy, and have no respect for anyone this results in trash just thrown on the ground, cutting lines, and fights breaking out. If they could just fix some of these issues i think we would have a great park.

NOt to mention all six flags nickle and dime you to death ( dollar one time use lockers)

Edited by mdcoaster14

^Nope. Still just a rumor.

With GASM closing for the arrival of chang it would be great to fix her up a little and move it down to us. I think a classic arrow would be great addition to the park and could bring in coaster enthusiast from across the country so they can ride one of the original mega coasters. I know it's not going to happen and probably not as cost effective as just scrapping it. A woodie to rival EL Toro would be nice to, i know with the price of steel sky rocketing a lot of new additions to parks are going to be wood. But El Toro proves woodies are not dead.