TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

In my opinion, Six Flags America doesn't scream for another major addition. Sure it would please all the thrill seekers, but for the amount of people that come to the park, what they got seems enough.

I tried following along with all the posts in this thread, but it isn't easy. Am I the only one who thinks a Tony Hawk addition would be better than a Mega-Coaster?

I say, don't touch the rides the park already has and start adding more rides into the park. SFA will NEVER pay the money to enclose Joker's Jinx, and thats not even necessary. Plus, its cool to see the ride speed through that jumbled track.

I prefer the ride outside too. I enjoy Joker's Jinx much more than the flight of fears. Not to mention no block trims, so you fly through the second half.

We need a major coaster, point, blank, period. And Tony Hawk is not the answer.

I think out of all the parks in the chain, we have been very patient for nearly a decade.

The problem is, the park doesn't get enough traffic to make it worth investing a lot of money into. It doesn't make sense to put a 20 million dollar beemer in a park thats never busy. It almost seems like SF is just giving up with trying to compete with KD and Busch.

And WHY are poeple avoiding SFA in favor of KD & BGW? it's because KD & BGW ACTUALLY GET NEW RIDES instead of just removing them one after another,I had hopes for the park from 98 to 2007 & bought a pass every year but after they made the decision to install yet ANOTHER waterslide (which they didn't really need) over installing a major ride that was needed in the ride side of the park I gave up & started going to KD instead.All SFI ever cares about are GRAM,MM,OT & GRADV at the expense of the other parks which is WHY they've lost money & will continue to loose even more until they figure out that it takes more than just major investments in four parks when you've got a chain consisting of 19 parks at the present time.

The only attempt made( & I use the term lightly here) at getting a ride installed in the ride park was when UT was sent here,funny thing though that it was shipped to SFA from SFAW BROKEN & unrepairable,which I believe was intentionally done since they've wanted the park to fail.

The only way for the park to s urvive is for SF to sell it & for it to go back to it's pre-SF roots as a smaller local amusement park rather than remain in the hands of those in charge of it now because sooner or later they WILL probably just close it to gain access to the assets for redistribution to their big 4 spoiled parks when they no longer can afford to purchase brand new rides for them.

People were "avoiding" SFA even before the ride removals and when they were adding one of the world's only flying coasters just a year after adding an Intamin hyper. The park has always had an image problem, not a ride problem, that image problem is finally recently starting to be fixed. Further than that, it is quite comical to me that finally in the past couple seasons, and apparently/hopefully next season, the park is receiving new attractions and upgrades to the ride side and the attitude of most locals is it isn't good enough because it isn't EXACTLY what they wanted. As other have said, get over it and be happy that SF seems to finally be investing in the park in a worth while manner. Any kind of investment is a GOOD thing. It may not be the multi-million dollar coaster an enthusiast's wet dreams are made off, but at least its something - and that is better than what we've seen for the past decade.

As much as SFA desperately needs a new ride of some sort to the actual park, is it just me that thinks a simple way to make the park look way better would be to simply add some trees around the park? I mean one of the main reasons I dislike SFA is because of the lack of shade and barren look of the place. It would look SO much better with a few more trees here and there near the midways, rides, and other areas. A new ride doesn't hurt either though.

They already have a mega coaster in S:ROS

Yea, but that mega coaster is now 10 years old and people are not really thrilled with it anymore. What's the crime of adding another thrill ride to the park? Everyone knows loads of people will start coming back if it's good. If they keep adding small things then they will only get small crowds. I'm telling you this from what I see. Adding another small addition is going to drive more people away and give Kings Dominion the edge of receiving more people for 2011. We just had a huge family addition, which was Thomas Land. So why not add a coaster for 2011. Then in 2012 we can add another family addition and then follow it up the next year with replacing Tower of Doom with a few flats in it's place and then building a huge drop tower ride in Gotham City. Drop Towers are much cheaper than coasters.

Now let's talk about improving Fright Fest. I got some real good ideas.

Yea, but that mega coaster is now 10 years old and people are not really thrilled with it anymore. What's the crime of adding another thrill ride to the park? Everyone knows loads of people will start coming back if it's good. If they keep adding small things then they will only get small crowds. I'm telling you this from what I see. Adding another small addition is going to drive more people away and give Kings Dominion the edge of receiving more people for 2011. We just had a huge family addition, which was Thomas Land. So why not add a coaster for 2011. Then in 2012 we can add another family addition and then follow it up the next year with replacing Tower of Doom with a few flats in it's place and then building a huge drop tower ride in Gotham City. Drop Towers are much cheaper than coasters.

They need a new coaster desperately right now since they lost 2face as well as some thrilling flats.I agree how on earth do they expect to compete with KD when over the past two years they've installed a floorless(thanks to GL) & now a giga that are both partly responsible for the huge increase in attendance at KD.

For those who say the park doesn't need a new coaster let me ask tou this:Why then does SFGRAM or GRADV need a coaster every time they're given a new attraction when that's all they've gotten for the most part over the past decade? what makes them more deserving than us? They don't need a new coaster to keep or bring in the crowds if,as so many fan boys of these particular parks say they already have high attendance rates....if attendance levels alone are the determining criteria for wether or not a park gets a new ride well then many of the parks in the SF chain may as well just close down alltogether because as I & SFA Regular have pointed out no new attractions = no new guests & very few repeat guests.

I'm sorry but it pretty much all comes down to attendance, if the attendance isn't there neither will a coaster be. Parks like SFGADV gets coaster more cause the attendance is there and the park is very profitable!

Once again I have to agree with KDCOASTERFAN. How do they expect for the attendance to increase if they don't invest anything in the park. Great Adventure and Magic Mountain get high attendance because they keep dumping all the coasters in those two parks. So your theory on attendance is more of the company always favoriting those parks off of tradition. As for closing the small parks as KD mentioned, I would not close them. Instead if I were the GM's I would get together, put up some money, get investors and buy the smaller parks from Six Flags Inc. Then turn around and sell them to a good caring company like (Merlin Entertainment Group). Now Six Flags Inc would be free to spoil their main money makers with no problems and the smaller parks would be a good care with a new company, then giving Six Flags Inc some real competition. Again, me and KDCOASTERFAN have pointed out that you have to spend money in order to make money. Cedar Fair makes big investments in unique thrill rides and they get a lot from it. They are the ones proving that high prices thrill rides do pay off in the future. They give the park a bigger variety for guests to chose from, and most guests will come if the park has a big variety. When they were investing rides in Six Flags America, they were getting big crowds. They stopped investing, and people stopped coming.

Merlin Entertainment could really give Six Flags Inc, a run for their money if they bought a lot of the smaller parks from them. And to tell you the truth, it would rule if Merlin bought the smaller parks and then signed a deal with 20th Century Fox for movie attractions. With Six Flags America having so much land, there is no telling what a company like Merlin Entertainment Group could do.

Went today for the very first time & my immediate thought of the park was concrete jungle.

After being impressed at the entrance area we went straight down the back.

After riding S:ROS once & sweating i went for a drink & smething to wipe my sweat.

Asked for a napkin at the 3 nearest food stalls. None had any at all.

The nearest toilet & refill station for my Six Flags cup were both far away. Plenty of other drinks available though.

Several rides broke down early in the day. S:ROS, Batwing, 3 water rides & The Wild One all within the first hour or so.

The Wild one remained closed all day.

After i got over these facts & the extreme heat i actually enjoyed the most of the parks ride selection.

Practically walk on to every ride all day, lots of half full rides all day, including S:ROS

Hadn't seen a park with this many good/decent rides in summer desserted since i went to Geauga Lake.

Roar was alot rougher than the one in SoCal but still rideable.

I know Thomas Land is new there, but its the worst example i've seen by far in terms of actual Thomas representation. I would hope that isn't the finished product.

I really liked reriding an Intamin Mega over & over without having to leave the station, but other than that the park didn't inspire me to return again.

More coasters would be great, but no point in my eyes until they fix some [way cheaper] cosmetic issues of the park.

I'd rather drive further to BGW or KD even with a Six Flags season pass.

Went today for the very first time & my immediate thought of the park was concrete jungle.

After riding S:ROS once & sweating i went for a drink & smething to wipe my sweat.

The nearest toilet & refill station for my Six Flags cup were both far away. Plenty of other drinks available though.

Several rides broke down early in the day. S:ROS, Batwing, 3 water rides & The Wild One all within the first hour or so.

After i got over these facts & the extreme heat i actually enjoyed the most of the parks ride selection.

Practically walk on to every ride all day, lots of half full rides all day, including S:ROS

Hadn't seen a park with this many good/decent rides in summer desserted since i went to Geauga Lake.

I know Thomas Land is new there, but its the worst example i've seen by far in terms of actual Thomas representation. I would hope that isn't the finished product.

I really liked reriding an Intamin Mega over & over without having to leave the station, but other than that the park didn't inspire me to return again.

More coasters would be great, but no point in my eyes until they fix some [way cheaper] cosmetic issues of the park.

Well KDCOASTERFAN, it looks like we got another person to agree with us. Thank you for pointing that out. With the company choosing not to invest in it anymore, it doesn't have a wide variety of rides to choose from. It wouldn't have been as bad if the previous management with Mark Shapiro did not get rid of Two-Face and Iron Eagle and replaced them with nothing. It really hurt us a lot when we experienced Mark Shapiro giving Six Flags New England a ride revamp and leaving our Superman the way it is. Common now, we needed that more than Six Flags New England did, and what hurts the most is that they used the picture of our Superman in the online article. Another thing that just blew me was when (Chang) was being transfered to Great America. We were rumored to get it, but once again they decided to skip over us. Another thing that just did not make sense was the decision not to relocate SFNO's Batman: The Ride inside Six Flags America. Our park GM at the time was SFNO's GM. He really wanted to see his Batman: The Ride get put inside the park he was currently managing. So why did they neglect the place again when the shoe fits the right foot? Something is just not adding up????

How much longer is this coaster neglect going to be thrown against Six Flags America?

KDCOASTERFAN, help me out.

Edited by SFA Regular

As much as SFA desperately needs a new ride of some sort to the actual park, is it just me that thinks a simple way to make the park look way better would be to simply add some trees around the park? I mean one of the main reasons I dislike SFA is because of the lack of shade and barren look of the place. It would look SO much better with a few more trees here and there near the midways, rides, and other areas. A new ride doesn't hurt either though.

The older and more developed areas of the park aren't too bad, but Gotham City is awful with the lack of shade. There are some trees but they are still quite young and small.

The issue there is its not practical to bring in large, older trees for shade. Unfortunately it will just take a while for the landscape to mature and the young trees to grow.

They need a new coaster desperately right now since they lost 2face as well as some thrilling flats.I agree how on earth do they expect to compete with KD when over the past two years they've installed a floorless(thanks to GL) & now a giga that are both partly responsible for the huge increase in attendance at KD.

For those who say the park doesn't need a new coaster let me ask tou this:Why then does SFGRAM or GRADV need a coaster every time they're given a new attraction when that's all they've gotten for the most part over the past decade? what makes them more deserving than us? They don't need a new coaster to keep or bring in the crowds if,as so many fan boys of these particular parks say they already have high attendance rates....if attendance levels alone are the determining criteria for wether or not a park gets a new ride well then many of the parks in the SF chain may as well just close down alltogether because as I & SFA Regular have pointed out no new attractions = no new guests & very few repeat guests.

You keep emphasizing what YOU want and what will bring YOU to the park. Thomas Town is a good addition to the park, stop acting like it doesn't count for anything or doesn't matter because its not a super sweet coaster or flat ride and therefore not of interest to YOU and the few coaster enthusiast who live in the DMV area.

SFGADV received the bulk of its new rides during the past ownership - the one that ran the company into the ground. Dark Knight was the last new coaster added and the only one under the newer management, other than that they received a re-painted Medusa with stupid audio and theming sprinkled in. Is that really SO much better than the rumored spinner SFA will receive?

Quite frankly, SFA was a bad park with bad operations and a terrible reputation that a lot of people in the area wanted nothing to do with (and still want nothing to do with). Does throwing a flat ride in one year and a decent sized coaster the next really change anyone's mind if some potential guests are literally afraid of being mugged in the parking lot? Not really, especially when HP, KD, and BGE are all in the area and building rides of their own every season. Also, if SFA continued adding more new rides every season for the past decade when the maintenance department could barely keep their EXISTING rides in working order on a regular basis - what is the point? "Sweet! A new flat ride! Too bad its closed 50% of the day and half the rides in the park didn't open today."

What it comes down to is SF has probably sat back and examined the park over time to decide just what potential it has given its terrible reputation, infrastructure, and management. Thankfully they have apparently turned the ship around enough that they now feel the park has greater potential staying open as an amusement park rather than simply being razed and having the land sold ala Astroworld.

I think some people here are being extremely naive about all of this and need to appreciate what is going right.

Well KDCOASTERFAN, it looks like we got another person to agree with us. Thank you for pointing that out. With the company choosing not to invest in it anymore, it doesn't have a wide variety of rides to choose from. It wouldn't have been as bad if the previous management with Mark Shapiro did not get rid of Two-Face and Iron Eagle and replaced them with nothing. It really hurt us a lot when we experienced Mark Shapiro giving Six Flags New England a ride revamp and leaving our Superman the way it is. Common now, we needed that more than Six Flags New England did, and what hurts the most is that they used the picture of our Superman in the online article. Another thing that just blew me was when (Chang) was being transfered to Great America. We were rumored to get it, but once again they decided to skip over us. Another thing that just did not make sense was the decision not to relocate SFNO's Batman: The Ride inside Six Flags America. Our park GM at the time was SFNO's GM. He really wanted to see his Batman: The Ride get put inside the park he was currently managing. So why did they neglect the place again when the shoe fits the right foot? Something is just not adding up????

How much longer is this coaster neglect going to be thrown against Six Flags America?

KDCOASTERFAN, help me out.

Agree with you? Try reading this last line again - "More coasters would be great, but no point in my eyes until they fix some [way cheaper] cosmetic issues of the park. I'd rather drive further to BGW or KD even with a Six Flags season pass."

No one is saying SFA building a new 500 foot 10 inversion B&M dive machine wouldn't be swell, but constantly griping about it not being added over the past 10 years is asinine considering the other issues at hand.

Coasters aren't the only thing that draw in attendance.

Image problem is a BIG thing and something that is being worked on by the park.

While that may be true then WHY is it that other parks in the chain seem to be following the exact opposite of this by adding coaster after coaster & all the fanboys are saying "ohh SFMM or SFGRADV needs it more than SFA"?

Honestly when Shapiro started removing rides that were addmitedly problematic but not taking the time or money to replace them that's when this park's days have become numbered.It sends the message that corporate has given up on the park & feels that no matter what new attraction they install would not be enough to lure once loyal customers in the region back from their competition which has more in the way of rides to offer their guests.

While that may be true then WHY is it that other parks in the chain seem to be following the exact opposite of this by adding coaster after coaster & all the fanboys are saying "ohh SFMM or SFGRADV needs it more than SFA"?

Honestly when Shapiro started removing rides that were addmitedly problematic but not taking the time or money to replace them that's when this park's days have become numbered.It sends the message that corporate has given up on the park & feels that no matter what new attraction they install would not be enough to lure once loyal customers in the region back from their competition which has more in the way of rides to offer their guests.

I have to say that KDCOASTERFAN is on a role in this discussion. That's all I hear these Six Flags fan boys talk about is SFMM and SFGRADV. And he is also right about competition like BGE and KD luring in people with roller coasters. If SFI would put Great Adventure and Magic Mountain on hold for a second and invest 3 major thrill attractions in SFA, they would be surprised how many people end up coming back to the park. They won't ever know unless they try. Removing rides and replacing them with nothing is definitely not the right route to go. They remove our rides and don't replace them, but yet though they will remove Deja Vu and replace it with Buccaneer Battle and then 3 years later, they make plans to install a relocated coaster to make up for it.

Yet again, I point out another example of neglect towards SFA.

Yeah, nothing says "days are numbered" like a brand new themed area featuring several new and refurbished attractions, and a new major attraction supposedly coming next season. They certainly have "given up" on the park.

Maybe they finally improved the parks infrastructure and operations to a point that tossing in new million+ dollar attractions makes sense and isn't a waste of time and money?

They won't ever know unless they try. Removing rides and replacing them with nothing is definitely not the right route to go. They remove our rides and don't replace them...

Boy I guess its a good thing that they've added Thomas Town this year and will probably be adding another attraction next season.

You guys would probably be happier if the park was just shut down sometime in the past ten or so years, then you wouldn't have to deal with them only adding a Thomas Town and (likely) medium sized coaster in back to back years, now. Well, at least KDCOASTERFAN would as it would finally validate his "SFA doomsday! The end is near!" talk that he's been going on about for years now.

Edited by Capitalize

I have to say that KDCOASTERFAN is on a role in this discussion. That's all I hear these Six Flags fan boys talk about is SFMM and SFGRADV. And he is also right about competition like BGE and KD luring in people with roller coasters. If SFI would put Great Adventure and Magic Mountain on hold for a second and invest 3 major thrill attractions in SFA, they would be surprised how many people end up coming back to the park. They won't ever know unless they try. Removing rides and replacing them with nothing is definitely not the right route to go. They remove our rides and don't replace them, but yet though they will remove Deja Vu and replace it with Buccaneer Battle and then 3 years later, they make plans to install a relocated coaster to make up for it.

Why should they invest in a park that has two huge rivals in the south when they can easily spend their money in markets where it will be better received?

There is also the huge problem of public opinion of the park. If you ask any of my friends what park they'd want to visit, most of them would drive up to Hershey before even thinking about SFA. It has a terrible reputation in NOVA, don't know about Maryland. They have to get over their reputation first, and quite frankly the employees I've encountered aren't helping.

The last time I went to the park was in mid-June. I had a few hours to kill after training there so I went ahead and hopped in the park to get a feel for operations and what it was going to be like. Myself and my friends walked over to Mind Eraser because it was fairly close to the entrance. There was no wait, two train operation. First off the employees were slow. Slow to the point where the other train had been sitting in the sun under the brake run for about 5 minutes before they sent the next train. We had to wait two cycles to get on - which took approximately 15-20 minutes. With no line. With two trains. Next, they were rude. My friend Autumn asked one of the ride ops where she should put her stuff, a fairly simple question (one that should be easily and politely answered considering we just finished training). One of the ops looked at her and asked her if she was retarded, then pointed to the cubbys. After riding the ride, we got to sit on the brake run for somewhere around 5-6 minutes, then finally got off. Approximate total time for riding a "walk on" - 30 minutes. This is unacceptable.

We made our way up to Gotham city to ride Superman which was also a walk on, and was running one train. The ride ops here were somewhat better, and were fairly quick about getting people on and off the ride. It was fairly remarkable how much of a difference there was between locations in the park. But of course, nothing could be perfect and the attendants were once again rude when it came to answering any questions - such as when we were getting off the ride someone had asked where the nearest bathroom was. The op responded with "How should I know? I just run the rides." Not even offering to help find someone who would be able to direct them.

At this point I decided to take my leave, from both the park and the company. I went back to HR, told my supervisor about what I'd seen. They took names and locations, but I doubt anything was done other than a slap on the wrist. I told them I would not be working for a company who treats guests so rudely and I left. Was this the nicest thing to do? Probably not. But after working my ass off last summer and being as polite to guests as possible then coming here and seeing this? They have a lot more work to do before they can be considered even remotely close to the level that even KD, let alone BGE provide.

You know if I would have been talked to like that when asked where the bathrooms were, I would have gone to immediately get a supervisor, walked back to them and asked them where the bathrooms were again.

That is such a shame that the park has a hard time getting decent people to work there. Sounds like SFA has got a bad case of the "AstroWorld".

I recall in my earlier days I got into several arguments with employees at AstroWorld because of their $h1t eating attitudes. Maybe SFA will get lucky and get torn down too!

In any case.....SFA isn't getting anything HUGE for a very long time. Get over it already!

You know if I would have been talked to like that when asked where the bathrooms were, I would have gone to immediately get a supervisor, walked back to them and asked them where the bathrooms were again.

That is such a shame that the park has a hard time getting decent people to work there. Sounds like SFA has got a bad case of the "AstroWorld".

I recall in my earlier days I got into several arguments with employees at AstroWorld because of their $h1t eating attitudes. Maybe SFA will get lucky and get torn down too!

In any case.....SFA isn't getting anything HUGE for a very long time. Get over it already!

There is some new hope with Alexander Weber being our CEO now. If Shapiro was still secured, I would not be posting on here right now. I did mention that a park source told me that corporate came in to have a look at the place. He told me that Alexander Weber came to the park with some of the other members on the board. I'm thinking, that it's possible they were planning for some new additions on Fright Fest.

There is some new hope with Alexander Weber being our CEO now. If Shapiro was still secured, I would not be posting on here right now. I did mention that a park source told me that corporate came in to have a look at the place. He told me that Alexander Weber came to the park with some of the other members on the board. I'm thinking, that it's possible they were planning for some new additions on Fright Fest.

Either that......or they were looking for the best place to run the bulldozers through first. LOL

j/j

I definitely want to see all the Six Flags parks succeed but I know one thing they'll have to do is get rid of some of those horrible employees.

^I don't think age plays that big of a factor in how the employees act.

I moreso think its just the nature of the beast. Minimum wage employees are going to give you a minimum effort. Sure you may find a diamond in the rough every now and then that gives you 110% because they geniunely like what they do, but such staffing is so few and far between you are more likely than not going to come across rude, immature, and inappropriate employees. This is not a problem not exclusive to SFA. The guest service I got from SFA wasn't as bad as I expected, granted I went in went in with low expectations. Rude employees can be caught at Gadv, MM, and even Disney every now and then. It happens.

I just think if Six Flags does not want to properly take care of this place, then why should they continue to operate it? This park was a regional park as it was, and even after the effort that Sixflags put into it, it will always just be a cheap mini destination. And why do you think other parks get spoiled? They're profit makers in the chain, so of course they will have more opprutunities for new additions. SFA just needs to get thier act together. Period.

And he is also right about competition like BGE and KD luring in people with roller coasters.

Uh, Busch Gardens doesn't lure people in with roller coasters. The coasters help but that is not what brings the attendance in. Like everyone else has told you, they are more things to a park than coasters.

I just think if Six Flags does not want to properly take care of this place, then why should they continue to operate it? This park was a regional park as it was, and even after the effort that Sixflags put into it, it will always just be a cheap mini destination. And why do you think other parks get spoiled? They're profit makers in the chain, so of course they will have more opprutunities for new additions. SFA just needs to get thier act together. Period.

The reason why I think other parks get spoiled is because I already laid down that fact. Why in the world did they remove rides from SFA and not replace them with anything? But yet though, they remove Deja Vu from Great America and 3 years later they make plans to relocate another thrill ride in that park. Not to mention as soon as they lost Deja Vu, a water attraction took it's place. But with SFA, once it's gone, it bites the dust and is replaced with nothing. This park experienced this with both Iron Eagle and Two-Face.

Shapiro had his chance to make the park better and he actually made it worst. Thomas Land was his first big step to improve things but why did it take him 4 years to do it, while other parks got the royal treatment faster than you can blink a eye. He made the decision to get rid of our Brutal Planet haunted house because it did not fit the family theme for his new version of Fright Fest. Did he not understand that, Brutal Planet was SFA's Fright Fest main attraction that brought people to our park??? So when people come back and see that it's not there anymore, we get the biased comments from other fanboys like "Well, you see the park isn't making money, so why should they give SFA a new ride"? The main reasons I have mentioned are the reasons why we are doing so bad. So I don't understand why people always say that it's SFA fault, when evidence shows that corporate has done very little on their part to help us.

Examples start with SFNO's GM not even getting the respect from Shapiro/Corporate to get the Batman: The Ride from his former park installed in the park he was currently working in at the time. I remember speaking to Terry Prather about this and he said he was trying his hardest to convince corporate to get it installed here at SFA, but as you can see they gave the man the cold shoulder.

^^

They sent B:TR to a park that needed an inverted. SFA already had that Vekoma Hang and Bang so maybe that's why they gave him the cold shoulder???? I guess they just felt it would have more impact going to SFFT.

Edited by ArizonaGuy