TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

So, I guess Roar is much worse than when I last rode it. Does anyone know how much it would cost for them to re-track it?

You're missing the point here. That same money could be going to enclose Joker's Jinx, or turn Gotham City Arena into an indoor Wild Mouse coaster. Priorities are key.

-I had my worst ride ever on Roar. Normally i love this ride, no matter where I sit, but this time, everyone in my group of five people said that it was the most painful coaster we'd ever been on. We all thought Mind Eraser was smoother, and that's saying something. Roar was so bad that I now have a large bruise on my back from being jostled around so much

I felt the exact same way minus the giant bruise. It's really aggressive for a GCI and that type of layout is not meant to be taken aggressively. Hersheypark invested in Millennium Flyers and I'm sure that Roar can't be too far from it, since PTC trains are a lot harsher on the track and structure than Millennium Flyers are.

So, I guess Roar is much worse than when I last rode it. Does anyone know how much it would cost for them to re-track it?

You're missing the point here. That same money could be going to enclose Joker's Jinx, or turn Gotham City Arena into an indoor Wild Mouse coaster. Priorities are key.

Oh, I know. I'd definitely choose a new ride over re-tracking. I was just curious as to how much re-tracking would cost them if they wanted to go that route. I think enclosing Joker's Jinx would be cool, but like re-tracking Roar, it would not be a priority at all. A Wild Mouse would be awesome. A spinner may be even better. Perhaps an indoor air-conditioned ride/simulator (like Curse of DarKastle or Europe in the Air at BGW) would be a good addition, although it would probably be too much money.

So what makes you think enclosing Joker's Jinx is a "priority"?

I say, don't touch the rides the park already has and start adding more rides into the park. SFA will NEVER pay the money to enclose Joker's Jinx, and thats not even necessary. Plus, its cool to see the ride speed through that jumbled track.

Also, turning Gotham Arena into a Wild Mouse would be unnecessary as well. There is a huge plot of land where Two Face and Looney Tunes Trucking Company (now Diesel Derby in Thomas Town) used to be. That is the ideal spot for a new attraction. Can easily hold a Tony Hawk style wild mouse.

I really hope you are joking since you didn't use any smileys.

This has been hacked out over the past thirty pages of this thread...

Can we PLEASE not go down this path again?

• 4 weeks later...
Health authorities in Maryland issued a warning after a visitor at Six Flags America was bitten by a rabid fox.

The Prince George's County Health Department was searching for anyone who might have come into contact with the animal.

"Because rabies is a highly transmittable and treatable disease, the Health Department is taking all measures to locate any individuals that may have come in contact with this infected fox or any other infected animal," Dr. Donald Shell, a county health official, said in a press release.

The fox was captured and tested positive for rabies.

The health department did not give any specifics about the visitor who was bitten at the amusement park. But the department did say that person, as well as two others who tried to scare the fox away, had to undergo post-rabies vaccination treatment.

Link

Holy Cats!!! First the park had troubles with rides being taken out, and now they are plague with rabid foxes?

Well, my friend and I were there on Saturday and we had a great time. I'm glad I didn't see any foxes because I once got bitten by a rabid dog and those rabid shots aren't any fun.

I did see the area in which the latest coaster will (hopefully) be built. It appears that the building (that stood next to the old Two-Face coaster) that housed some games has been closed and I think will be demolished so the whole area can be used for the next coaster.

I finally got to visit Thomas Town and found out I can go on many of the rides they offer. And I believe that Six Flags America has the most train rides than any other park (with three train rides).

The following is what I feel the park should do next.

I feel that the Rock Wall that is located in Cyclone's old spot should be moved to Coyote Creek (where Tilt-a-Whirl once was, now converted into a smoking area) and have some new exciting flat ride in its place (such as a Frisbee or a Disc-O). Plus, I do know that the Tango ride (Rocking Tug) up in Six Flags Great Adventure is closed, so why not moved that ride to Six Flags America and put it near the Roar? And after seeing the condition and decay of the old Rainbow Falls, I hope the park would either tear it out or put something in its place.

Well, those are my comments and thoughts.

"Lay your head on me and I'll help you dream about amusement parks."

We need a major coaster, point, blank, period. And Tony Hawk is not the answer.

I think out of all the parks in the chain, we have been very patient for nearly a decade.

I'd say be grateful. I'd rather see them get THBS instead of nothing at all. Just because SFA has been waiting a decade doesn't mean they should get something bigger.

Quite honestly, THBS coasters are pretty fun. I've ridden the one at SFFT, SFStL, and SFDK and all three of them were extremely popular with that families.

I say, don't touch the rides the park already has and start adding more rides into the park. SFA will NEVER pay the money to enclose Joker's Jinx, and thats not even necessary. Plus, its cool to see the ride speed through that jumbled track.

I prefer the ride outside too. I enjoy Joker's Jinx much more than the flight of fears. Not to mention no block trims, so you fly through the second half.

I think out of all the parks in the chain, we have been very patient for nearly a decade.

The problem is, the park doesn't get enough traffic to make it worth investing a lot of money into. It doesn't make sense to put a 20 million dollar beemer in a park thats never busy. It almost seems like SF is just giving up with trying to compete with KD and Busch.

And WHY are poeple avoiding SFA in favor of KD & BGW? it's because KD & BGW ACTUALLY GET NEW RIDES instead of just removing them one after another,I had hopes for the park from 98 to 2007 & bought a pass every year but after they made the decision to install yet ANOTHER waterslide (which they didn't really need) over installing a major ride that was needed in the ride side of the park I gave up & started going to KD instead.All SFI ever cares about are GRAM,MM,OT & GRADV at the expense of the other parks which is WHY they've lost money & will continue to loose even more until they figure out that it takes more than just major investments in four parks when you've got a chain consisting of 19 parks at the present time.

The only attempt made( & I use the term lightly here) at getting a ride installed in the ride park was when UT was sent here,funny thing though that it was shipped to SFA from SFAW BROKEN & unrepairable,which I believe was intentionally done since they've wanted the park to fail.

The only way for the park to s urvive is for SF to sell it & for it to go back to it's pre-SF roots as a smaller local amusement park rather than remain in the hands of those in charge of it now because sooner or later they WILL probably just close it to gain access to the assets for redistribution to their big 4 spoiled parks when they no longer can afford to purchase brand new rides for them.

I prefer the ride outside too. I enjoy Joker's Jinx much more than the flight of fears. Not to mention no block trims, so you fly through the second half.

The problem is, the park doesn't get enough traffic to make it worth investing a lot of money into. It doesn't make sense to put a 20 million dollar beemer in a park thats never busy. It almost seems like SF is just giving up with trying to compete with KD and Busch.

And WHY are poeple avoiding SFA in favor of KD & BGW? it's because KD & BGW ACTUALLY GET NEW RIDES instead of just removing them one after another,I had hopes for the park from 98 to 2007 & bought a pass every year but after they made the decision to install yet ANOTHER waterslide (which they didn't really need) over installing a major ride that was needed in the ride side of the park I gave up & started going to KD instead.All SFI ever cares about are GRAM,MM,OT & GRADV at the expense of the other parks which is WHY they've lost money & will continue to loose even more until they figure out that it takes more than just major investments in four parks when you've got a chain consisting of 19 parks at the present time.

The only attempt made( & I use the term lightly here) at getting a ride installed in the ride park was when UT was sent here,funny thing though that it was shipped to SFA from SFAW BROKEN & unrepairable,which I believe was intentionally done since they've wanted the park to fail.

The only way for the park to s urvive is for SF to sell it & for it to go back to it's pre-SF roots as a smaller local amusement park rather than remain in the hands of those in charge of it now because sooner or later they WILL probably just close it to gain access to the assets for redistribution to their big 4 spoiled parks when they no longer can afford to purchase brand new rides for them.

KD, so you agree with what I have been saying?

I really agree with what you just said. It takes more than just them investing in 4 major parks, at the expense of others. And I also agree with you, as to why people are avoiding Six Flags America and riding up to Kings Dominion. They add new stuff every year and it gets more fun each time you go back. Like I've told people time after time; you have to spend money to make money. Both Paramounts and Cedar Fair spent money on the park and look what happens. They end up getting an over load of people coming into/leaving the park on weekdays, weekends and holidays. Six Flags adds nothing, and they get nothing.

Now on to the future. A in park source told me that corporate has been in the park a couple of times now. This source is an employee that I know, and he told me that the new CEO, Alexander Weber came to the park in the recent week that just passed. Could Alexander Weber be getting a good look at the park to give him an idea on what to add for Fright Fest and 2011. In my opinion, I'm thinking that all the Fright Fest are going to become better because Alexander Weber operated all the Paramounts Parks. Their theme has always been more teen and along the lines of Cedar Fair, so could the Fright Fest attractions become scarier for 2010? For SFA's concern they need to because Kings Dominion's version of Fright Fest is completely shutting down SFA's. They have like 9 scary haunted attractions and they are all free with park admission. Six Flags America on the other hand has gone completely family friendly and charged people five dollars for a haunted train ride that was not even good. The audio was distorted and riders were not really scared by the actors. A lot of people drove up to Kings Dominion and participated in their attractions, which completely blew me out of my mind when I saw how good the actors were.

Alexander Weber, please help us.

^I was pissed when a rumor started swirling around that SFGAm's Shockwave would come to SFA when that was removed for Superman and I would be just as pissed if they decided to send SFGAdv's GASM our way... besides, what SFA really needs right now is a "tween" sized coaster (like a mouse or a spinner) and some dark rides... not some huge multilooping coaster.

This is a question for SFA regulars, if Six Flags was to send GASM to your park would you take that as a good addition or would you be pissed about the fact that your getting a twenty year old ride?

I'm not a regular but I live about an hour from the park so it's not that hard for me to make a couple visits per year. I'd actually be quite pleased. It's exactly what SFA needs. GASM wouldn't cost a lot to build and maintain (Arrows are pretty reliable), it's really marketable (giant looping coaster!), and SFA doesn't have a standard Sit Down Looping coaster. Although Tony Hawk's Big Spin would be a decent choice as well, GASM is better because they don't have to spend millions to have something brand-new manufactured and constructed. GASM just has to be shipped, painted, and rebuilt (which would be cheaper than a new coaster and it makes it much easier since GASM's been built before so they know what to do/not to do construction-wise)

Most of the locals want a big coaster, and thats what the parks needs the most. Each time Six Flags America doesn't get a big ride and Kings Dominion does, the locals in the area sit back and ask " Why wont they install another coaster in here"? So the most they ever do there is just spend half a day at the water park and leave the dry side of the park alone. One big coaster won't hurt the place. Just install a big coaster for 2011 and then back it up the following year with a family ride. Has anyone seen the new (Sky Rocket) coaster at Kennywood? Premier Rides built it and it looks pretty decent. If not that, I think it would be cool to have something like (Hollywood Rip Rocket) built at SFA with the same kind of theme. Let MTV sponsor it and give it a name like (MTV's Music Surfer). Use the same genre's of music, but different songs for each genre. People would love it and the park would finally have something unique to market and appeal towards guests on the ride side of the park. If not that, built another wooden coaster like The Voyage where you have a series of tunnels that you go through. Wikipedia says that The Voyage at Holiday World only cost $6,500,000. That ride is pretty decent for just $6,500,000.

^I was pissed when a rumor started swirling around that SFGAm's Shockwave would come to SFA when that was removed for Superman and I would be just as pissed if they decided to send SFGAdv's GASM our way... besides, what SFA really needs right now is a "tween" sized coaster (like a mouse or a spinner) and some dark rides... not some huge multilooping coaster.

well, gasm can compete with anaconda...if was 10 years ago lol

This is a question for SFA regulars, if Six Flags was to send GASM to your park would you take that as a good addition or would you be pissed about the fact that your getting a twenty year old ride?

I'm not a regular but I live about an hour from the park so it's not that hard for me to make a couple visits per year. I'd actually be quite pleased. It's exactly what SFA needs. GASM wouldn't cost a lot to build and maintain (Arrows are pretty reliable), it's really marketable (giant looping coaster!), and SFA doesn't have a standard Sit Down Looping coaster. Although Tony Hawk's Big Spin would be a decent choice as well, GASM is better because they don't have to spend millions to have something brand-new manufactured and constructed. GASM just has to be shipped, painted, and rebuilt (which would be cheaper than a new coaster and it makes it much easier since GASM's been built before so they know what to do/not to do construction-wise)

Uhh remember what happened with ultra twister Brad? That ride was working fine at SFAW & was sent to SFA but somehow they conveniently "damaged" it beyond repair by the time it arrived at the park & has been sitting in a field behind Batwing for 4 years now.I'd suspect though that GASM will end up just like shockwave did:recycled into about a million beer cans since there's a reason why GRADV is removing it after all when if the rumors of chang going there are true then they'd have plenty of other places in that park to put it.

Uhh remember what happened with ultra twister Brad? That ride was working fine at SFAW & was sent to SFA but somehow they conveniently "damaged" it beyond repair by the time it arrived at the park & has been sitting in a field behind Batwing for 4 years now.I'd suspect though that GASM will end up just like shockwave did:recycled into about a million beer cans since there's a reason why GRADV is removing it after all when if the rumors of chang going there are true then they'd have plenty of other places in that park to put it.

Great America took care in taking Shockwave down, as they also tried to sell Shockwave before scrapping it for good. Another major problem with Ultra Twister is that major parts could not be made for it. S&S purchased Arrow and took over their spare parts production, so parts are easily obtained for GASM and it's not like it breaks pieces constantly.