TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

^The Ferris Wheel mentioned in the Master Plan is NOT Around the World in 80 days.

ATWIED was added in 1993 along with a package of other flats that include Shipwreck Falls, Falling Star, Cyclone (Scrambler), and the Great Race (Antique Cars).

Ah ok, I didn't realize it opened back in the early 90's. In the past I had always seen the ferris wheel grouped in with the items from the master plan that were actually completed.

I love how everyone complains for nearly a decade, "we need something! ANYTHING!" Then rumors start/continue for a spinning coaster and people are going to start to have gripes with it.

I would be entirely happy with a Tony Hawk Big Spin coaster at SFA; why? Its what I figured they would eventually receive, if Six Flags continued to operate the park at least. There are no other spinning coasters at the other regional parks close by. Its a relatively small expense and appeals to a large audience. And finally, the park hasn't received anything at all for a freaking decade so take what you can get.

Why do we need one of those. We already have a Tony Hawk water slide. Why don't they give is a (B&M)? Our park could really use one. It's debatable if the park will do well this summer, because a lot of SFA local attendance is getting fed up with the lack of coasters. Now I'm not trying to go on a coaster rant, but we really need one. Most of Maryland's locals have been going to Kings Dominion and are not really concerned about going to SFA this season. Sense we just got a huge family addition this year, why not give us a new coaster? That would help get more people interested in the park again, and then they could add another family addition in 2012.

Something like Batman: The Ride would work well here. It's a decent B&M; not too big and not too small. And it would be new to SFA's attendance. How much longer do we have to go before we receive a real coaster?

A. This would be a coaster, a moderate sized one but still a coaster.

B. Why would a park that already owns an inverted coaster receive a second inverted coaster? Let alone a multi-million dollar design that already exists at most of the other area parks (BTR @ SFGAdv, Alpie @ BGW, and Great Bear @ HP)?

^ Well, I mean, La Ronde now has 2 inverts, even if the Vekoma was a relocation. But I agree with you.

I think any kind of additions to this park are welcome at this point. A spinning coaster like a Tony Hawk is normally a crowd pleaser, and it is at a fairly budget price, which is good for a park and a company that are floundering right now. The price tags on the larger coasters are just too much at this point, and the return just isn't big enough at this time for a park like this.

Good point on La Ronde, but I think that was more a result of the ride being available to go somewhere and they figured the investment to rebuild would be best suited there. I can't imagine they would have bought a brand new SLC for La Ronde; but who knows, crazy stuff happens.

I think the addition of any new attraction to the ride side of things would be a great investment on the park's side. If they want to add a new family spinning coaster, more power to them. If they want to add a 300+ ft Intamin rocket coaster I'm down for that too. Thomas Town is going to be a great addition to the park, and I really hope this marks a turning point for them.

Beggars can't be chooser's folks.

Why do we need one of those. We already have a Tony Hawk water slide.

The coaster doesn't neccesarily have to be themed to Tony Hawk.

Why don't they give is a (B&M)? Our park could really use one.

I'd say price tag for starters.

What kind of cookie cutter B&M would you put at SFA?

The region that SFA sits in (VA, NJ, PA) is already saturated with B&M hypers, Inverts, and floorless coasters. A stand up? That fad has come and gone! If anything I'd like to see a traditional looper like Kumba but I really don't think SFA will be going in that direction for a long time. Perfect seque for my next point.

It's debatable if the park will do well this summer, because a lot of SFA local attendance is getting fed up with the lack of coasters. Now I'm not trying to go on a coaster rant, but we really need one. Most of Maryland's locals have been going to Kings Dominion and are not really concerned about going to SFA this season.

Debatable?

Over the latter half of the past decade, the industry in the States started to trend to focus on families.

Adding family attractions to the parks brings more income to the park that the coaster crowd, the teens, the young adults, the college students simply don't have.

Parks are a business and businesses operate to make money. Simple economics.

I've schooled you many times in this thread about why parks continue to stay the course on family attractions.

Sense we just got a huge family addition this year, why not give us a new coaster? That would help get more people interested in the park again, and then they could add another family addition in 2012.

Something like Batman: The Ride would work well here. It's a decent B&M; not too big and not too small. And it would be new to SFA's attendance. How much longer do we have to go before we receive a real coaster?

So in the first part of this post, you gripe that we might get a Tony Hawk spinning clone and in the very same post your are questioning why don't they add a coaster? How many personalities do you have?

If you've ever been to SFNE, the Tony Hawk up there always has a line and is VERY popular with the general public.

Not to mention that this coaster fits the "tween" market that Shapiro stated the park would receive in the future...until he was axed today.

As Capitalize already mentioned, a spinning coaster would be a unique addition to the market. A Big Spin isn't intense enough that families won't ride. It's like a Tilt-A-Whirl on track!

Well with the company now having the former CEO of Paramounts Parks, I think more coasters will be built. And like it said before, the family rides aren't bad. They are actually good, but I think it should be an every other year kind of thing if you know what I mean. The way Kings Dominion does it, they would get a new coaster every other year. Therefore it stays fair between people who like thrill rides and people who like family rides. Whats so wrong with that kind of plan? I think it works better in the long run.

I hope the new CEO takes a good look at SFA and takes notice that we just got a huge family addition, and decides to install a new thrill ride for 2011. That would be a very smart move. Not only that, but I hope he improves Fright Fest and takes a much more serious look into ride renovations.

Why do we need one of those. We already have a Tony Hawk water slide.

Because they have absolutely nothing in common except for the name.

Well with the company now having the former CEO of Paramounts Parks, I think more coasters will be built. And like it said before, the family rides aren't bad. They are actually good, but I think it should be an every other year kind of thing if you know what I mean. The way Kings Dominion does it, they would get a new coaster every other year. Therefore it stays fair between people who like thrill rides and people who like family rides. Whats so wrong with that kind of plan? I think it works better in the long run.

The problem is that Cedar Fair is heading down the same road Six Flags did. They also came upon a unique opoerunity to relocate a B&M and the family rides for little money.

Good point you bring up (Nitro Fan). If the CEO take a your of the parks, what ideas do you think he will have for ours?

I think you should just save him the time and money and send him an e-mail about how to fix SFA.

I would if I knew how to get in contact with him. It's not like he post his email online for millions of stock holders and park employees to see. But if you know it, please tell me and I will email him and how to fix most of the parks with both family additions and thrill installations.

I would if I knew how to get in contact with him. It's not like he post his email online for millions of stock holders and park employees to see. But if you know it, please tell me and I will email him and how to fix most of the parks with both family additions and thrill installations.

Because you know better than he does, right?

No, I have to say I don't. I do't have 40 years in theme park operations, like Mr. Alexander does. Please don't start thinking that I'm a hypocrit, because I do offer much respect to the people who are making things happen now. I just think, I know how to make park more up beat. Let's take SFA for exmaple, sense we are in the parks thread. The park is decent but could be a lot better in recent years. If they are not going to add a new coaster to it, which was easily for seen by Shapiro's future idea thinking, they could atleast improve other things that are already in the park. One improvement, starts with more Fright Fest attractions. We all know that SFA's Fright Fest in recent years has not been good and based on this past year, it really did not stand alone from going to the park on a regular operating day. Let's just say it could have been better. If their not going to rebuild haunted houses, then why not add temporary effects to the rides to make them stand different from riding them on a regular operating day?

Examples:

1) Roar could have been given temporary tunnels with fog and strobe lights in them.

2) Haunted Hay-Ride could have been re-introduced.

3) Two-Face's old spot could have been used for a temporary haunted maze.

4) Haunted train could have been a lot more scarier, rather than the humorous Michael Jackson "Thriller" dance that was seen in it.

So yes, I will say that my ideas would get more people up beat about joining SFA during Fright Fest and very dull summer days where you are sitting in the house with nothing to do.

No, I have to say I don't. I do't have 40 years in theme park operations, like Mr. Alexander does. Please don't start thinking that I'm a hypocrit, .

Don't worry, I already think you are a hypocrite.

because I do offer much respect to the people who are making things happen now. I just think, I know how to make park more up beat. Let's take SFA for exmaple, sense we are in the parks thread. The park is decent but could be a lot better in recent years. If they are not going to add a new coaster to it, which was easily for seen by Shapiro's future idea thinking, they could atleast improve other things that are already in the park. One improvement, starts with more Fright Fest attractions. We all know that SFA's Fright Fest in recent years has not been good and based on this past year, it really did not stand alone from going to the park on a regular operating day. Let's just say it could have been better. If their not going to rebuild haunted houses, then why not add temporary effects to the rides to make them stand different from riding them on a regular operating day? .

SFA publicly PRIDES itself on having a family-friendly Fright Fest.

If you don't like it go to King's Dominion, go to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Florida, go to Busch Gardens Tampa or any of the other parks that cater to the older kids/adults very well.

SFA is PACKED during Fright Fest as it is.

Why should a park that advertises a family friendly event that IS drawing large crowds weekend after weekend after weekend spend additional money for more effects? If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Listen, I know I've been picking on you a lot over the past couple of days.

I have the same passion for SFA as you do.

I grew up around Wild World, Adventure World, SFA. I want this park to succeed and make changes for the positive.

But unlike you I have realistic expectations for the park.

I've come to realize that SFA will never be Magic Mountain or Great Adventure. And I'm fine with that.

I like the direction SFA is moving in as there have been lots of improvement to not only their guest services, but also improvements to the infrastructure of the park and basic off season improvements that were being neglected under Burke and company.

I feel like you are trying to fight an uphill battle. I believe you really think a lot of what you post is really going to happen. Once you realize you are living in a fantasy world, you won't be disappointed.

Operating a seasonal amusement park is not like playing Rollercoaster Tycoon.

I noticed the Screamscape post says the "Tony Hawk Big Spin" coaster could be near Roar. I have an idea where it can go, although it would require the removal of a ride. I always that a pirate-themed wild-mouse type roller coaster (or a spinner in this case) could be squeezed in the area where Shipwreck Falls is. Then, if Six Flags felt inclined, they could build a bigger, better Shipwreck Falls in Hurricane Harbor. Looking at aerial photos, I think a fun layout could be created in this spot. Here's something I whipped up in Google Maps to show what I meant. It's rough, but it give the basic idea.

Edited by StarWars

(JEA), I could care less if you were picking on me. It's the internet in my opinion, so I don't take comments that serious. And how do you know it will never be a Magic Mountain? People probably said the same thing about Hershey when he was going threw many of his failures. But look at the place now. Tones of people go there and it turned out to be good park. And, I do go to Kings Dominion for Halloween and I am very impressed with how they do things. Hopefully Mr. Weber can do the same thing with most Six Flags parks, including SFA. SFA has tones of land that it could use to become a Maryland must see attraction. I sure hope you know that Six Flags America, currently is not a top listed attraction for Maryland as Universal or Disney would be for Orlando.

I hope that part of his plans includes putting the parks in the map to become a must see regional destination for tourist in the area. SFA would be a good accomplishment if he could put this place on the map for the Washington D.C. area. Think of how many people would be packing the parks.

I haven't been to SFA since 2006, but when I did Roar was the roughest I think I've ever experienced. The roughness seemed to get worse over the years, but 2006 was the worst for me. Has anyone been on Roar recently, and if so, how does it run?

I haven't been to SFA since 2006, but when I did Roar was the roughest I think I've ever experienced. The roughness seemed to get worse over the years, but 2006 was the worst for me. Has anyone been on Roar recently, and if so, how does it run?

Pretty much the same as usual. It's your average wooden coaster. Not too big and not too small. Although, I wish they would have completed the tunnel, rather than just doing half of it.

^^I rode Roar back in April and thought it ran pretty well, although I have no previous rides on it to compare. I rode both in the front and the back and found it to be a decent ride, not too rough, and just a middle of the road GCI design. It also had a pretty healthy amount of track work if I remember correctly.

^I believe the tunnel was left open because of fire code. If they enclosed it completely, they would have had to install a sprinkler system. I also believe it's the same reason the tunnel disappeared on Thunder Road.

Steve, imo Roar has become increasingly rough over the past few years.

Many of the fanboys had hoped that Roar would improve after some off-season maintenance was performed and sections of track were replaced. I post on the SFAFans forum as well and most of the posters there say they can see a difference. I can't.

For me, after the fly by of the on-ride photo the rest of the ride is unbearable.

Hurler at KD and Predator at DL are worse imo. Roar isn't far from them.

Roar's tunnel was never completed because of the fire code and the original plans did not call for it.

Re: Spinning Coaster placement.

The reason that the Rainbow slides haven't been ripped out yet though they've been defunct for years is some sort of environmental protection regulation. There is a small stream that runs very near those slides. The bridge just past Main Street towards the Theater crosses over the stream. I have heard that if the park were to rip out the slides without replacing the slides with an attraction, the park would be unable to use that plot of land for future use.

With Around the World in Eighty Days being ripped out and moved into Thomas Town, there is a nice little plot of land between the two attractions. With Tony Hawk's Half Pipe located directly next to the Rainbow slides, placing a Tony Hawk coaster next to the half pipe would be a nice tie in to one another.

Not to mention that the park could place a Tony Hawk based gift shop at the ride's exit to sell items for this particular brand.

Roar was running on a new level of rough when I visited two weeks ago. I have heard such great things about that ride, but the only one made happy by my ride on that coaster was my credit count(which is still mediocre) and my chiropractor.

I'm not going to waste my time responding right now, because I think everyone else is doing a fantastic job at this point. However, I just have to say, this is by far the most entertaining thread on the site right now.

I agree. It's been a long time sense the park last received an addition this big, so why not talk about it. And maybe I am being a little to over the heard about Tony Hawk. I change what I say. It would make a great addition to add it in SFA.

I hope the new CEO takes a good look at SFA and takes notice that we just got a huge family addition, and decides to install a new thrill ride for 2011. That would be a very smart move. Not only that, but I hope he improves Fright Fest and takes a much more serious look into ride renovations.

I agree that the way other chains balanced building thrill rides and family rides is probably the best plan and brings in the largest number of guests. But this year the park is adding Thomas Town - a nice addition for the smallest little kids and their families. Next year they add a moderate sized coaster that all guests can enjoy. Sounds good to me.