TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I don't understand what your saying.

The Six Flags season pass already grants you admission to all the other SF parks. There's no need to create another type of season pass that will grant you entrance to all the parks when the season pass already does that (at a good price to boot).

^ I don't think you understand what they were trying to say. They were saying there could be 2 types of season passes like Cedar Fair - one that is just for a particular park, and one that is for parks chainwide. Sure, the current season pass is already chainwide, so the new pass that would be created would be for just your home park. Thus, the chainwide season pass would be increased in price, while the one park season pass would probably remain around the cost that the season passes currently area.

I hope that helps.

Good riddance. I think he only bought the company to ruin SFA & eliminate the competion from his stadium that's a mile or so up the road from the park.

Are you joking, insane or just not thinking? He could have just bought SFA, and not wasted millions on the whole chain to accomplish this.

As far as the rest of the SFA fanboys asking how this will affect SFA. Hopefully new management understands that now is the time to raise Season Pass Prices chainwide to $120 or so (including at SFA) to increase profit through valued customers and keep out the riff raff.

There is no chance I'm paying over $100 for season passes to any Six Flags park - let alone Six Flags America. Only thing that keeps me coming back to the park every year is the reasonable season passes.

BGT offers season passes for the price of a days admission (or did the last time I was there at least) so I don't think that is the whole story, either.

^ I don't think you understand what they were trying to say. They were saying there could be 2 types of season passes like Cedar Fair - one that is just for a particular park, and one that is for parks chainwide. Sure, the current season pass is already chainwide, so the new pass that would be created would be for just your home park. Thus, the chainwide season pass would be increased in price, while the one park season pass would probably remain around the cost that the season passes currently area.

I hope that helps.

That's exactly what I was saying and I think it would be the best bet for them. Like I said, most people only go to the park closest to them. For all the other people that travel a lot they would probably pay for the chain wide one. To make it more unique they could call the chain wide pass a (Universe Pass). And of course, for all the people who know they are going out of town, they could upgrade their park pass to a (Universe Pass) anytime they wanted. Both passes would allow guests to enter the park 30 minutes before opening and could also grant them (ERT) when the park closes. Sense most people come to Six Flags parks on the weekends, the (ERT) for rides would be on Saturdays and Sundays. It's always good to give guests more benefits with their season pass in order to keep them buying. Not only that, but when a new ride is built, I think it would be cool for the park to hold a season pass holder event where they can come early and ride the ride before it opens to the public. This would only be for people to receive their season pass home in the mail and pay for it on the early process day for season passes.

How does all that sound?

^ I don't think there would be any need for an additional ERT perk. I think that is going a little overboard. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have a $120 season pass for all of the Six Flags parks, just for the parks themselves. That is still a pretty good deal, especially for those who go to a lot of parks. You are right that it makes sense to give guests more benefits, but they are only good if they actually make sense to the company as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there already two types of season passes, the Play Pass and just a regular season pass. The Play Pass is just for one park. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Nevermind I am wrong...

SFA offers season passes and premium season passes - the only difference between them is premium has added benefits and discounts. Other larger parks offer different passes that allow you a few visits over the year rather than unlimited visits, though.

EDIT: Just checked out the "play pass" offered at SFGAdv, it has unlimited visits to all parks as well. The "season pass" includes free tickets for friends and other perks.

Edited by Capitalize

^ I don't think there would be any need for an additional ERT perk. I think that is going a little overboard. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have a $120 season pass for all of the Six Flags parks, just for the parks themselves. That is still a pretty good deal, especially for those who go to a lot of parks. You are right that it makes sense to give guests more benefits, but they are only good if they actually make sense to the company as well.

Exactly. The new owners/board should be trying to make money to continue bringing improvements. The park attendees should not be treated as a charity case. Season Passes should be priced 3 times the cost of a single day admission. If you can't afford a season pass, then don't buy one and just visit the park once each year. If your park is worth it, buy the season pass.

If people start paying $120 for a season pass it would not be unreasonable to expect 10% discounts on food in the park or an expansion of the Funatics program.

I would pay $120 for a pass to ALL Six Flags parks if it was a year I was planning a big trip; but that price would be ridiculous for ONE park unless it included perks like free parking and loads of discounts, I thought in the first place the idea was $120 for a season pass period.

^ The $120 price is what I was implying for all of the parks. However, I just threw that figure out there because it seems to be comperable to what Cedar Fair offers. I would say a $90-100 pass for one park, with a $120-130 pass option for all parks would be fair. Then, offer coupons and discounts for each as it seems fit. There is really no need to offer more than a coupon book. They can also continue to offer a parking pass for one park, or for all parks in addition to the season passes.

I think what needs to be understood here for the most part is that a season pass is designed to bring in extra revenue by having people visit the park frequently throughout the course of the season. That is why you see season pass prices around the cost of 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 visits to a park. However, there is a point that the pass price get so low that it is unreasonable to think that the parks are making additional money on people who use their passes regularly. The same applies for others who see such a low price, and just want to get slightly more than their money's worth. For example, to cover the cost at most of the Six Flags parks, a passholder really only has to visit the park twice over the course of the year. If the price in increased to 3 - 3 1/2 times the cost of a regular admission, that is forcing the pass holders to go 3 or 4 times. That means, presumably, a little extra revenue into the park in terms of in park spending.

Okay, it's time for me to change the subject and tell you all how my trip to Six Flags America on Saturday, May 1, 2010 went. I went up there for the first time in three years to get a season pass (I'm going to need that pass when I visit three other Six Flags parks).

First the good points- ( "Really, there were some good points?")

1) I like the new concept: the high five from the ride attendants.

2) The Wild One coaster still runs great.

3) The Cyclone looks good being placed in the old Octopus spot.

4) The Typhoon Sea Coaster, despite being open later in the day, has become a decent ride with the elements inside.

5) The Great Race is back to its normal glory with enough cars and allowing single drivers once again.

6) And for the first time in ages, you can now ride the Capitol Railroad (back then, it was only if you were part of a picnic group or during Fright Fest.

And now, the bad points - ( "No surprises there!")

1) I can no longer ride the Superman ("Why did they have to shrink those seat belts. I mean, you gotta be a supermodel to be able to fit in those tight restraints!").

2) I saw several rides break down ("No surprises there. Even if Six Flags America had a simple walk-through attraction, I bet even that attraction would break down), but after some time and a quick reboot, the rides were back in business.

3) No Single Riders for the Cyclone. ("What? No single riders for the Cyclone. Are they afraid I'll fall off?) Still, I did manage to ride that ride twice in a row with a partner or two.

4) And despite the good time I had at that park, I wish the park could add some more rides. ("I know they are still building the Thomas Train Area, but I'm not a kid.)

Well, that's my report. I'm planning to return to that park with a friend using the "Bring a friend for free" coupon.

"After a long post like that, you need me to rest upon."

Any updates on Thomas Town, this is the only reason we are going this year. We may go in Oct with the ACE group, but I want to take my son to Thomas Town.

http://www.sfafans.com/showthread.php?t=5378

Theres a bunch of pics showing all the work going into Thomas Town. It doesn't look like much right now, but in a few more weeks, this section will look great!

Any updates on Thomas Town, this is the only reason we are going this year. We may go in Oct with the ACE group, but I want to take my son to Thomas Town.

Some pics from last weekend below. Last I heard, they are still pushing for a Memorial Day weekend opening. Still seems possible as pretty much all the foundations are in and the rides should go up fast (the gravel pathway is the route the Thomas Train will take). Enjoy!

IMG_2439.JPG.e22df6e9c46b06d70344cf1aded047e1.JPG

Tidmouth Shed

IMG_2444.JPG.1389ef06536683a5efe172fe94663ca1.JPG

Thomas Train Station

IMG_2409.JPG.df7f984bc5089276792947a3714ed1ad.JPG

Backside of Thomas Town w/ new retaining wall.

IMG_2410.JPG.d51f91c1ba84a7ac64b275839b8c0acb.JPG

Rides ready to be installed

IMG_2447.JPG.30d0013e6409d2e31ef8033ffbfb36a7.JPG

Electrical Work

IMG_2451.JPG.10e2934c5e33c1fd21e046bef989e6f8.JPG

Joker's Jinx entrance (from inside Thomas Town)

IMG_2454.JPG.8ce656abdfdf404c4854ad0d91fbadbf.JPG

Parts of Thomas Station waiting to be installed

IMG_2448.JPG.d2bf07aea25ca3bb73d5dea0a2420cf4.JPG

South end of Thomas Town

IMG_2445.JPG.cc44b4256dbea35e38accf01a27adfdc.JPG

The foundation for the Cranky freefall ride is there in the foreground

I'm hoping they buffer some of the noise coming from Joker's Jinx right next door. Seems a little loud for a nice kids' area if you ask me!

Oh, has anybody gotten any Funatics rewards yet? I've been to SFA twice and SFGAdv once, and I haven't gotten a single one yet.

I don't really think there is anything they can do about the noise from Joker's Jinx. As I said before, the only way to dimer the noise is to enclose the ride, but everyone on here seems to hate that idea.

Even then you can still hear the noise. And it really wouldn't be that long of a distance from Joker's Jinx to Thomas Land. You would still hear the noise. We will see how people react to it when it opens up on Memorial Day. I just think after a while it will get annoying when they are running two trains on Joker's Jinx and every three minutes you have to sit in listen to it run through the cycle, and then get your conversation out before the next train starts. That's kind of how it is when your sitting right next to the ride eating Dip N' Dots.

Even then you can still hear the noise. And it really wouldn't be that long of a distance from Joker's Jinx to Thomas Land. You would still hear the noise. We will see how people react to it when it opens up on Memorial Day. I just think after a while it will get annoying when they are running two trains on Joker's Jinx and every three minutes you have to sit in listen to it run through the cycle, and then get your conversation out before the next train starts. That's kind of how it is when your sitting right next to the ride eating Dip N' Dots.

And it is not like this near almost every B&M coaster? It's really not that big of a deal... I'm sure most parkgoers aren't going to flip out over the sound of a LIM that only lasts for a few seconds.

The LIM is nothing. It's the noise that it makes when it's going through the spaghetti bowl. And yes, if your that close to the ride you will hear it and it will flood out your conversation if you don't talk loud enough. This is why I say the next ride renovation should be (Joker's Jinx). If you ask me, I would have liked to have seen them stuck some flat rides in where Thomas Town is, rather than installing a kiddie area that does't match the theme of Gotham.

Or better yet, they could have used that land to create a new show arena for a new BATMAN show. This would have replace Batman Thrill spectacular, and also could have possibly been used as space a rather BIG haunted house maze for Fright Fest.

If it pays off for the park, then I guess you can't get mad at it. But if it turns into something that people don't really use, then it will be another bad investment and make the park look bad.

Joker's Jinx was a loud coaster, but it really wasn't much of a problem when I was at SFA. I went to SFFT about once a week for 7 years and I never had a problem with Poltergeist either.

Noise is what people expect at amusement parks.