TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I went to SFGAv last year and operations were superb

Now let me ask you this question...were operations SUPERB, or SUPERB compared to years past?

I ask this, because of all the praise given to MM, I find most of it undeserving. I still go to MM to this day and see employees ignoring people, ride ops screwing around, filthy bathrooms, employees from all departments on phones, and flat out bad operations. The only difference is it's not as bad as it was 3 years ago. So by definiton the park is doing better...but is it at it's BEST? I'd say no. I mean after all, The park has the same corporate model as MM and Gadv, so who can you really blame? The "lazy" employees or the management who neglects to run the park the same way every other park in the chain is being ran?

Well one of the major differences is that SFMM & SFGRADV GET new rides every couple of years so that gives the impression that corporate cares about these parks far more than some of the others.

They are getting Thomas Town next year though. SFA is just alittle late when it comes to new attractions. EX: Tony Hawk's Halfpipe came out a couple years after the first few Tony Hawk coasters. We finally got a Johnny Rockets, 3-point shootout and Coldstone this year. So next year we are getting Thomas Town. SFI tests out new ideas at other parkss before bringing them to SFA. Just wait til 2011, we should have a Dark Knight lol.

What have they heard or seen? I dont understand.

I can't exactly back this up, since I have never been to SFA, but from what I have heard, the park is not the best in the world.

A family goes to SFA. They don't have a lot to do compared to other parks. Like SFMM, it is focused more on thrill rides and not family rides. That is why Thomas Town will be good for the park. But after a family that had went there before Thomas Town comes, I'm sure that family didn't have a lot of fun. So what will make them come back? Thomas Town? Not enough. Plus, the park is in a bad area and gets a bad crowd, putting it even farther away from "family friendly".

"Bad area"? I'd love to know where you're going with this. Nothing says "bad area" more then suburbia! A nice new housing development right across the street sure is terrible. I especially hate all those undeveloped woods around the park, really bad stuff there. Nothing says "bad area" more then the well kept townhouses and shopping center down the road, as well. I mean wow, terrible area!

What a joke. You even just said you have never been there so more or less is just talking out your ars...

Its not in a bad area. Prince Georges County isnt the best area, but its certainly not bad. Everywhere you go you get the people that think there "bad" or think "they go hard" I guess, but they fakin'. PG is the richest African American county in the state and maybe the country, (somebody told me that before and I believe them, but I never researched it) so if you can afford a big house, and can afford to go to a good school ,you are CERTAINLY NOT BAD lol. But, you shouldnt go on what you've heard about the area/park if you've never been. I live here and work at SFA and I know have a different understanding of the area that you've never experienced. (I'm not trying to put you on the spot, or whatever, I'm just saying) Its not like they smacked SFA right down in the middle of Southeast, DC. Its in Bowie, MD. With a name like Bowie, you are deffinantly not bad lol.

while you are correct about PG County being the richest African American county in the state, I believe one big reason why so many people consider SFA and the like to be in a "bad area" can be traced back to the now defunct Capital Centre arena and the now defunct Landover Mall..both of which are close to SFA.

For years many of the old DC retail chains like Hechts for example claimed the mall said the surrounding region was "in a bad area". Hechts I believe Hechts even refused to fully stock that store with its upscale items because of that. of course on the flip side that mall did have problems with management so maybe that "its in a bad area" was just an excuse on the part of Hechts.

Then there was the Cap Center. Before MCI Center ( or whatever it is now ) was built, I remember watching DC TV about how so many people wanted a new arena to be built so they would "feel safe". However to my knowledge I don't recall anyone ever dying at the old Cap Centre. Fights? Drug Use? Sure..that has happened at ALL sports arenas at one time or another. But murders? People disappearing and were never seen again?

The rumors I remember hearing but did those actually happen? Doubt it.

Capital Centre was blown up years ago and a nice new shopping center sits where it was.

I was there for about an hour yesterday morning. I went there basically to just process my Six Flags season pass but I decided to go in to ride. I got all the coasters done in less than an hour. The ride ops were moving at a normal pace, not fast or slow, so no complaint there. And they all seemed to be rather enjoyable compared to my trip last year where they all seemed to not care.

My one complaint from yesterday was walking down the path to Wild One where you go through 4-6 game booths. Everyone was open and each employee was on their mic talking loud as fast as they could which was annoying. It felt like they were doing it just to compete with each other on who can talk the loudest. The park was dead and no one was there to play. When I walked through that area it was 4 people total.

The noise I can deal with, but after I got past them one of them yelled out that I was a loser for not playing. That part was uncalled for.

Anyway, I don't plan on going back this year, I just wanted to get my pass for the other parks.

every park I go to has the game booth ops trying to get people over to play... Some more aggressive then others I guess.

A family goes to SFA. They don't have a lot to do compared to other parks. Like SFMM, it is focused more on thrill rides and not family rides. That is why Thomas Town will be good for the park. But after a family that had went there before Thomas Town comes, I'm sure that family didn't have a lot of fun. So what will make them come back? Thomas Town? Not enough. Plus, the park is in a bad area and gets a bad crowd, putting it even farther away from "family friendly".

Let's rearrange something here...

A family goes to SFMM. They don't have a lot to do compared to other parks. Like Every other park in the chain, it is focused more on thrill rides and not family rides. That is why Thomas Town will be good for the park. But after a family that had went there before Thomas Town comes, I'm sure that family didn't have a lot of fun. So what will make them come back? Thomas Town? Not enough. Plus, the park is in a bad area and gets a bad crowd, putting it even farther away from "family friendly".

Let's try this now...

A family goes to SFGAd. They don't have a lot to do compared to other parks. Like every other park in the chain, it is focused more on thrill rides and not family rides. That is why Wiggles World will be good for the park. But after a family that had went there before Wiggles World comes, I'm sure that family didn't have a lot of fun. So what will make them come back? Wiggles World? Not enough. Plus, the park is in a bad area and gets a bad crowd, putting it even farther away from "family friendly".

I just think that all the critizism SFA gets, other parks have identical or similar problems, yet get praise. I don't find it fair to a park like SFA that mostly ALL of Six Flags' parks suffer the same problems, the ones with tons of coasters however, get a better reputation. I'm not saying the park can't use improvements or that it's not at the bottom of the totum pole, but it's not like it's a horrible park that the chain forgot about. It has more similarities to it's bigger cousins than differences

I think SFA biggest problem is maintenance and capacity, having worked and attended the park for ages now I typically come up with explanations why these areas are so bad for the park. But based on what Shapiro said while visiting the park hopefully things will improve.

I can't see people calling SFA's guests worse then any other. Most parks I go to I see more cutting in lines and more general rudeness by guests then I do on most days at SFA. Especially parks like SFGAdv come to mind. I love the park but absolutely despise the guests, every time I go there I almost get in fights with people over cutting in lines and such. I think a lot of that goes without notice in the enthusiast circles because many who go there go for the flash passes and don't see very much of that.

• 2 months later...
^I clarified that with them. They specifically said it was a safety problem, not mechanical.

I was at the park yesterday (sunday). Doubt very much it was a safety problem. I'd have to go with yet another superman chain break, or lift motor issue. Was the train on the lift? yes. one thing that has been failed to be mentioned thus far is that there was a crane on site. The crane was removing the chain and gears at the top of the lift. by the end of the day, 2 ribbon looking pieces of cloth appeared to be hanging down from where the gears had been.

If it had been a "safety violation," i doubt a train would be sitting on top of the parks largest lighting rod during summer storm season. No. They would be sitting on the transfer track, and in the station.

Maybe this has something to do with an attempt to make the ride more reliable, and not break down in 20 min intervals? Does anyone know what the reliability of SFNE and DL's supermans are like?

P.S. Guest Relations at SFA are the people that told me I could not use my SFMM season parking pass at their park...so i wouldnt take their word for much haha

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2009/03/30/story4.html

This came out over two months ago, but the information is still pretty good... I'm surprised the article had any info at all about Thomas Town, let alone that Thomas Town would be getting 10 new attractions (mind you this article came out about a week or two before the park opened for the 2009 season), but more interestingly, the following two quotes...

Despite the numbers and the recession, Shapiro said attendance was up 3 percent and revenue was up 5 percent at Six Flags America.
Based on the paragraph that precedes this sentence, I'm assuming the attendance comment is in regard to 2008... pretty good considering the park only added a waterslide in 2008 and still saw reasonably good increases in both attendance and revenue.

“This park [in Largo] has more opportunity for us than most of our parks,” Shapiro said.
A good quote for anyone still doubting the future of the park...

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2009/03/30/story4.html

This came out over two months ago, but the information is still pretty good... I'm surprised the article had any info at all about Thomas Town, let alone that Thomas Town would be getting 10 new attractions (mind you this article came out about a week or two before the park opened for the 2009 season), but more interestingly, the following two quotes...

Despite the numbers and the recession, Shapiro said attendance was up 3 percent and revenue was up 5 percent at Six Flags America.
Based on the paragraph that precedes this sentence, I'm assuming the attendance comment is in regard to 2008... pretty good considering the park only added a waterslide in 2008 and still saw reasonably good increases in both attendance and revenue.

“This park [in Largo] has more opportunity for us than most of our parks,” Shapiro said.
A good quote for anyone still doubting the future of the park...

With regards to that last quote by Shapiro then why is it "business as usual" at the park? I want the park to succeed,but at the same time won't be returning until I see major changes both in operations & new ride installations.

^Actually, a LOT of reports seem to be coming in through TRs across the net that the park is running noticably better than in previous years... mind you, still not to the level of some of the compitition, but noticably better. Add in the fact that the park is still lined up to build the biggest Thomas Town in the chain and I'd say it's anything BUT buisness as usual.

And I agree with you there, but you cannot expect the park to become Cedar Point/BGE/Disney-esque overnight... I'm just saying they are heading in the right direction... I guess I'm just trying to be the "glass half full" guy as opposed to the "glass half empty" type.

I went to the park yesterday for the second time this season after work (from 7 until closing one hour later - at 8).

First thing I noticed was a new big video billboard thing right by the entrance. I didn't stop long enough to see what all they were putting up there, but I imagine commercials and such. Still kind of neat.

I got on Wild One, Cyclone (scrambler), Jokers Jinx, SROS, and Batwing in the hour I was there. The operators at SROS were probably among the best I have seen in who knows how long. Working fast and entertaining the guests. There were no lines but all the coasters except Batwing were running both trains.

In general I'd say the employees were even better during this trip then my first trip a month ago or so. It seems management has done a good job getting the employees to do a great job this season based on what I've seen.

• 2 months later...

I agree.

The great thing about SFA this season is that the new Park President, John Winkler, has made some pretty drastic and quick changes to the park.

John was previously at Great Adventure for much of the past decade and he was at Great America before that.

He's brought a new culture to the park and those of us who live locally and go often have seen the difference.

I love SFA and I know I'm probably one of few people in the coaster community that loves this park. I spent many a summer days there as a child at Wild World and Adventure World.

I'm not the SFA Fanboy that defends the park no matter what.

If I see something that not right or out of place, I'll give an unbiased report about it.

I really think Chang is headed for SFA despite what all the early rumors report.

Yeah I agree that not too many kids visit SFA, but with Thomas Town, Looney Toons, and parts of Hurricane Harbor, the park should expect a lot more familes to come since there is a lot more to do now. I wouldn't say its a bummer though. I'm just glad we're finally getting some love!

I also think Chang might end up at SFA only because the park is supposed to get a new STEEL coaster for 2011, Chang won't be built until 2011, the park has plenty of room, and they even had an approval from the state to build a Stand-up coaster since 2001 when Batwing was built. Maybe Chang could be SFA's Bizzaro!

I think SFA is definitely changing for the better. My visit this year was very enjoyable and I was very impressed by the positive and friendly attitude of the employees. The Thomas Town should help bring the families back and hopefully the park will keep delivering a positive guest experience. Add me to the list of people that think Chang is going to end up here in 2011.

The park still needs some work. I would like to see SFA fix Roar as the ride is in terrible shape. They need to speed up the evac procedure on Batwing. We were stuck on the brake run in the sun for 26 minutes before they got us out of the train and it was very uncomfortable. One more thing, they should put a box over Superman's first helix with some lights and fog.