TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I see very few reasons to believe why SFA main park would close besides people keep thinking GL. SFA isn't Geauga Lake and SFA isn't a very bad performing park. SFA won't close. I can see why people have negative views on the park but it is a bit of unfair assumptions and talk in this thread. The park is neglected a bit but could this year be the a change for the better?

I think things will be looking up at the park. New management and a slimmer job market (more applicants to draw from) will definitely help out a lot.

I only visited GL once (the season it closed), and it was dead. No lines for anything all day, no crowds, no one buying anything. Apparently this was by and large the case on most days. SFA normally attracts good sized crowds and groups all season and has good in park spending in comparison. So I don't think the comparison to GL is exactly fair or correct. There are a lot of issues (including CP being only an hour down the road) to consider.

It is kind of funny... Everyone seems to be following the rumor that Six Flags is going to turn SFA into nothing more than a Hurricane Harbor. No one has ever provided evidence to backup that claim. The only people I ever hear even mention this are coaster enthusiasts.

In the past, Six Flags America has added rides, shows and attractions. There has been investment in the park, maybe not to the tune of a $20 million coaster but in the past 15 years, Six Flags has added more to Six Flags America than any other company.

- Mind Eraser

- Roar

- Joker's Jinx

- Two Face

- Superman

- Batwing

- Penguin's Blizzard River

- Paradise Island - Hurricane Harbor Transformation

- Tony Hawk Halfpipe

- Insert 2009 attraction

Those bills eventually come due and have to be paid.

There has been investment in the infrastructure:

- New Human Resources Building

- New Lightining/Sound Equipment

- New park wide sound system

- New lockers

- New shows

- Concerts by up and coming artists like Katy Perry, Plain White T's and Raven to name a few.

- The addition of Johnny Rockets.

Perhaps one of the biggest signs of things to come is Six Flags promoting one of their up and coming managers to be Six Flags America's Park President.

There are also very good reasons for Six Flags to stay in Washington, D.C. and invest in Six Flags America. Washington, D.C. is a top tourists destination, between Baltimore and Washington there are nearly 7,000,000 people, there are top colleges and universities in the area including Georgetown, The U.S. Naval Academy and The University of Maryland.

The investment is there. Some of the investment may not be something we can ride or see or even think about being a investment but the investment is being made.

I've provided all of you with facts. Where are your solid facts that Six Flags is/should close Six Flags America. Please don't waste my time with answers like the staff sucks, because that is something that can/will be fixed in due time. Remember the same things (about the bad staff) were being said about Magic Mountain, Great Adventure and New England in years past. Now, you hear lots of praise about the performance of those parks.

Six Flags America has had many owners and no one has ever invested the money in the park to make it a top notch park. Remember, the Washington area is a market Disney wanted to be in at one point. Hopefully, Six Flags will be the company that invests the money to take the park to that next step.

Thank you for stating that airtime! Now I hope that they would understand that I'm not backing the park up cause "I'm a SFA fanboy" (ignore the name lls) But also because the park has potential to be very popular. Everything they said about SFA is going to close, SFA sucks, yada yada yada, but they had NO PROOF!!! They were just talking out of their azzes, or basically saying what they want to happen, which is dumb. Why would you want to close a theme park just because you thought it was bad? Not everyone thinks its a bad park, obviously, thats why people still go there. Just because SFA hasn't gotten a new coaster since Batwing doesnt mean the park is going to fail. They have been getting new slides, upgrades, and everything else airtime mentioned. Plus if SFI were to close SFA, they would have closed it by now, instead of letting the park get ready to make a HUGE announcement for new attractions next year.

I know that what you guys stated earlier are just your opinions and I cannot control them, but whats the point of stating the same thing over and over and over again? And without any proof, or facts, or anything.

Thank you for stating that airtime! Now I hope that they would understand that I'm not backing the park up cause "I'm a SFA fanboy" (ignore the name lls) But also because the park has potential to be very popular. Everything they said about SFA is going to close, SFA sucks, yada yada yada, but they had NO PROOF!!! They were just talking out of their azzes, or basically saying what they want to happen, which is dumb. Why would you want to close a theme park just because you thought it was bad? Not everyone thinks its a bad park, obviously, thats why people still go there. Just because SFA hasn't gotten a new coaster since Batwing doesnt mean the park is going to fail. They have been getting new slides, upgrades, and everything else airtime mentioned. Plus if SFI were to close SFA, they would have closed it by now, instead of letting the park get ready to make a HUGE announcement for new attractions next year.

I know that what you guys stated earlier are just your opinions and I cannot control them, but whats the point of stating the same thing over and over and over again? And without any proof, or facts, or anything.

Now I hope that they would understand that I'm not backing the park up cause "I'm a SFA fanboy" (ignore the name lls)

Fanboy? Nah, I don't see it. I think you're safe.

^^So you had nothing else to say from that huge paragraph but that one little sintence. Can someone say, you do too much?

^And you are one of the people I was talking about that talk out of there azz without proof or anything backing up what you say. now THAT is sad. And I just said something about that.

Plus you cant just say that the announcement is not going to be huge just because people think the park is getting a speed slide. They still havent announced it yet and when they do it WILL be huge, like they said it would be.

^^What is wrong with you!?!?

You keep yelling at people because of their opinions and that they're not supplying 'facts'. But what have you provided? Your opinion. And yours is in the minority so get used to some abuse, that's just how the world works.

I've had mostly good experiences at SFA, but I have to agree from my most recent visits it seems to be going quite downhill.

^^So you had nothing else to say from that huge paragraph but that one little sintence. Can someone say, you do too much?

^And you are one of the people I was talking about that talk out of there azz without proof or anything backing up what you say. now THAT is sad. And I just said something about that.

Plus you cant just say that the announcement is not going to be huge just because people think the park is getting a speed slide. They still havent announced it yet and when they do it WILL be huge, like they said it would be.

I find it absolutely hilarious that you didn't read my multi-paragraph response, and yet you lambaste another well known user for replying as simply (though in a more eye-friendly form) as you do every time. Can someone say you ignore all that you disagree with?

Plus, you can just say the announcement is not going to be huge, considering the paperwork states that it is merely another speed slide. Maybe you've become so conditioned to accept mediocre attractions/additions (and again, I'm looking at this based on my experience at the park) that this is just the greatest thing you've seen the park get, but I find that pretty hard to believe, if not a little pathetic. Six Flags America may have potential, but minor additions like a speed slide (regardless of how tall, fast or large it is) can't make this park turn around. Whether or not you give the park's lamp posts a devoted spit shine when you visit doesn't make a difference either--your adament fanhood won't make something small become big.

I figure you'll learn eventually that just because you want something to be something its not, won't make it so. I would love for Seaworld Orlando's Journey to Atlantis to be an Intamin Aquatrax, but it doesn't work that way. I'm sure Hard Rock Park and Cypress Gardens' management teams wanted more than anything for their parks to succeed, but it just wasn't so--and there is nothing they could change about it. You can't make a speed slide become a gatebuster attraction (at least not that I could possibly imagine), especially for a park whose main concerns and issues lay attached to the amusement park section and not the waterpark.

If you figure out a way to magically change things, please let me know, because I really would love it if Journey to Atlantis could become an Aquatrax coaster. While you're at it, could you also figure out how to change your posting style? Thanks.

^^^ i coulda sworn i spelled it right but i didnt really pay attention, unlike u

^^aint nobody yelling, im just simply stating what is the truth, not my opinion, i can back my arguments up. It may look like im yelling, but im not even talking lol

For once I can finally agree with you... You aren't talking. You aren't yelling. You're ignoring the rules of grammar and of spelling (I'm so proud that I was able to borrow part of MrMorgan's Spain Trip poem).

You can't back up your arguements. You can't spell. You can't state the truth without knowing the real truth.

Please notice that none of your posts on this thread have been without error in spelling or grammar. The use of nonexistant words like "coulda," "aint," "im," and "azz" are completely wrong, and are a nuisance to read. Your posts are a headache to all who have to interpret them, and the people that have actually taken the time to respond politely and intelligently have been shot down by your blatently offensive attacks because you don't like their answers. Trying to read your posts has been like reading phonetics with shards of glass in my eyes--a true pain.

As I said before, if you aren't willing to accept others' opinions, or at least respect them, then I recommend that you go find another forum where all of the fanboys can go frolick in grammarless fields of pointlessness.

You really need to read this thread, because you misrepresent all other TPR members within your age range. I think that the members (and mods) have been more than fair with you on this thread, and yet you continue to yell, bash, scream and go on the offensive without just cause.

o and someone can close this thread or whatever but i give up on trying to change people's opinion's on SFA so do whatever you like, just don't insult me or you'll get a pm like my new bestfriend jedimaster

for now on, I'M going to just comment on other people's threads and try not to make everyone so angry

once again I apologize. even to you bestfriend jedimaster

^^Again...are you kidding?!?!

Look at those two posts. That is what everyone is criticizing. How do you expect to even try and get a point across when it's nearly impossible to read your posts.

Here's a few helpful suggestions:

O does not equal Oh

I is always capitalized

Best Friend is two separate words

And if you are representative of the workers and patrons of SFA, well, no wonder the park is in trouble!!!

sharktums, at this point all of you are just egging him on. I wouldn't bother anymore.

Also, I can't explain what happened on your trip to Six Flags America last summer, I wish I could but I can't. However, I think people should give the new park management a chance to prove themselves before writing the park off for good. Come back to the park in 2010, I think you will see a big difference. I'm hearing a lot of talk about some good things and I think that will be what the announcement is about.

Time will tell how the new managment does, although I wouldn't rely on them alone. I have been at a couple different jobs where "new management" was brought in, and nothing really changed, as the poor characteristics continue to influence the way things are in the store. Granted the has been the noticable improvement at SFMM with Jay taking the helm, and it could happen as well at SFA, but I would have to wait and see how it is through a good portion of the season before I went back.

-Gary T.

I actually visited SFA three times in 2007--once for a TPR meet, once to meet some friends who were visiting the area, and once more with another friend on an informal "Mid-Atlantic Tour." Each visit in 2007 was a lot of fun, and I even give the park staff credit for busting it's butt to open the problem-plagued Skull Island water ride (it was fun). While the park had a few operational issues during those visits, it seemed to me that they were on the right track.

That being said, my one visit in 2008 was to a rather dispiritied place--lackadaisical staff, broken-down rides, problems with the Fast Pass for Superman (as in the staff had no idea what to do with them), and even an ugly incident in the Superman queue. Much of what I heard from others that year was pretty bad.

I hope that SFA turns themselves around. They have good selection of coasters and some potential. But time will tell.

sharktums, at this point all of you are just egging him on. I wouldn't bother anymore.

Also, I can't explain what happened on your trip to Six Flags America last summer, I wish I could but I can't. However, I think people should give the new park management a chance to prove themselves before writing the park off for good. Come back to the park in 2010, I think you will see a big difference. I'm hearing a lot of talk about some good things and I think that will be what the announcement is about.

I would like to believe you airtime, but as an old member of your site and others, I can claim that you've been saying that since 2005. Why would 2009 (or 2010 as you said) be any different?

Personally, I am not going to waste any of my slim savings on the park as of now, after a horrible visit last year (and a few in the past).

Ok everybody I sincerely apologize for acting really stupid earlier, it was fun at first, then got out of control. I swear that it will not happen again, But I would also like to say that I've been trying to make sure that I write like I'm in school on these forums, but I guess I had my mind on myspace and wrote like I was on that website. It will never happen again, I really wish someone would close this thread though so we can forget about this. Also, on a serious note, why did everyone make such a big deal about me spelling sentence incorrectly 1 time? Everyone makes mistakes, we are all human. I do not mean to cause so much drama and stuff like that so please just except my apology and please no more ganging up on poor little SFAfan#1 lol Again, I apologize for everything.

I would like to believe you airtime, but as an old member of your site and others, I can claim that you've been saying that since 2005. Why would 2009 (or 2010 as you said) be any different?

Funny... You should bring that up. Lots of people root for lots of different things. Example... You might have a favorite sports team that really sucked last year. This year, a few acquisitions have been made and you think this is the year they will go to the show and win the prize. Then suddenly something happens, the team folds and things were no better the year before.

I have said things will be better. One person pointed to the fact they had a good time on three different occasions in 2007. I can point to the fact the park had three different managers last year and that could have led to some of the problems. If someone would have told me SFA was going to have three different managers in 2008, I would have said this will be a rebuilding year. I will not deny I'm a fan of the park. I have a good time when I'm there. I don't let little trivial things bother me like having to stand in a queue for 10 minutes, especially when I know the wait for a coaster at other amusement parks int the area would be 1 -2 hours long.

Why do I think this year will be different and 2010 will be a good year? Because I see Six Flags actually showing some interest in the park. Corporate was in the park at the end of last season. A new water park manager, a new Park President, a new PR Manager are among the management changes at the park. The new Park President was a former GM at Great Adventure where he was credited with turning around the parks operations. He has roots in Six Flags that date back to Great America and Astroworld. I've heard The new Ride Maintenance Director/Manager has roots back to Great America. I have more reason for optimism now than I ever have before. Not to mention the economy may provide the park with some quality employees. I see 2009 as a rebuilding year and 2010 will be the year everyone should look at. John Winkler spoke at the ACE Event in October. He was pretty emphatic that things were going to change.

Oh.. Wood Dragon... you know anyone is always allowed to stop by my site and post their opinion.

Does Joker's Jinx have a MCBR? From what I remember seeing, it didn't look like it had one. How does it shape up to Flight of Fear?

Because that has the MCBR....on hard. Though it does give some serious hang time on the corkscrew.

Oh, and I'm looking foreword to Poltergeist at SFFT!

-JZ