TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

[snip, snip] they'll probably close it within a few more seasons at most just like CF was forced to do with GL after SFI ruined it.

Six Flags didn't ruin Geauga Lake. (You ruin parks by taking things out, if you ask me.) Cedar Fair bought it to close it, because they never liked having another park that close to their flagship--and the bigger park that Six Flags had made it into really bothered them

/No, I can't prove it.

//But a lot of us suspected it when they first bought it.

///And it did pretty much play out that way.

As a protest, I've decided to boycot not just Six Flags America, but all Six Flags theme parks in general.

I'm not sure a 1-person "boycott" is really going to faze them much. However, I see nothing wrong with not going to parks that you dislike. I haven't been to any Six Flags in over five years, because I've just had too many disappointing experiences at their parks, and haven't had any desire to go back.

Having said that, I probably will give them another shot this year, because there are some new-ish things that I want to ride. And I may even make it to SFA for the first time this year. I'm a bit nervous about that one, but you've got to see for yourself, right?

Anyway, my point is that you should vote with your wallet. Just don't be so stubborn that you wind up "hurting" yourself.

First of all, I'm not going to say anything negative about Six Flags America, but during the past few years I had high hopes that this park will get off its knees and be a serious park to park-goers and thrill seekers alike. Sadly, each and every year I get disappointed and what's been happening to poor Six Flags America. Instead of having new rides debuting in each new season, Six Flags America has been going in the opposite direction and removing rides without adding any replacements.

So when I heard of Six Flags America's new addition, my eyes popped out with high hopes of maybe something exciting will finally appear at the park and get this park back on its feet. But when the announcement wasn't any new rides, just new shows and entertainment, I was (use your favorite expression here) off! Is this the new improvement: brand new shows?

As a protest, I've decided to boycot not just Six Flags America, but all Six Flags theme parks in general. I do this because I feel that Six Flags in general have been treating Six Flags America like a bastard child. This season (2009) I plan to visit all Cedar Fair parks (especially KIngs Dominion, my home park), plus any other smaller parks (such as Knoebels, Holiday World, and Indiana Beach), but no visits to any Six Flags Park; and I'll continue this boycot until Six Flags America gets the love it desperately needs.

"No regular signature for this post: just me looking mad!!!"

That's why 2007 was my LAST season wasting anymore time & money in this pathetic excuse for an amusement park.Chances are SFA will just go the way of GL,otherwise we'd be seeing SFI planning out new installations to replace the rides that have been removed rather than building makeshift stages or dressing rooms on their pads instead as a cheap coverup.

Whoa, I don't think you should forget about ALL SF parks just because of SFA. You shouldn't blame SF for not giving anything to SFA, it'd be a waste. Whoever's gone there probably isn't coming back even with a new ride. I really think the best thing would be for SF just to sell it. It brings SF down

Wow we seemed to change the subject from "I wonder whats coming into the park for 09", to "SFI is going to shut the park down in a few years"! Wow lets go back to the original subject of guessing/waiting for the Big announcement. You had your time to trash the park 50 pages ago, its getting old.

^^While I think it is fair to defend one's home park (or any park for that matter), I think that everyone has the equal right to trash it all the same. I can appreciate the fact that you are the original poster, but you can't dictate what people talk about on your thread, or on any other for that matter.

And truthfully, the conversation that has gone on over the last few days is still technically on topic--it is in regards to Six Flags America, its status in the Six Flags chain and the quality that is associated with it. From my point of view, the conversation has not taken a turn off the main road.

Again, I think that your passion for the park seems to be typing for you, because if you had read into the conversation that has been going on for the last few days, you would see that it is still on topic. The only place you will ever find "purist" Six Flags America fans congregating (and even then, there will still be the negatives) is on a SFA-focused fansite. Since you've posted on an open forum, you've got to be willing to accept the fact that the response may not be the one you like...

Im just saying that I bumped the thread back up to get everyone's opinion on what they think the Big announcement would be, not to say "the park is going to fail" or some other type spit like that. Im not dictating what you say on the forums, I could care less, I would just like it if the conversation was about ideas on what the park should get, or ideas on what you think the park will get in 09. And if you think im just some die heart SFA park fan, your wrong, I like KD 1000x better than SFA, I just back SFA up cause its down the street from my house and I work there. Yeah if they closed it down I'd be sad but I will just move on wit my life and go to KD more. But whatever feel free 2 say whatever you want, im done

^ I think it says something about the state of the park that even with you trying to steer it into more optimistic territories, it ends up falling back to complaints about the place and the longevity of it. I know your intentions were good with the thread, but the overall mood of the posters in this thread seems to indicate that the most relevant topic of discussion is the park's quality (or lack thereof).

Here is Screamscape's latest update on Six Flags America:

2009 - New Waterslides - In Planning - (2/2/09) According to page 7 of this document you can see that Six Flags America is requesting permission to build two new waterslide attractions with a hearing to be held on 2/19/09. The only odd thing is that it says “Two New Water Park Attractions known as Tony Hawk Halfpipe and Speed Slide”, which is odd since the park opened the Tony Hawk Halfpipe last year. Either way it looks like the focus is on the waterpark for 2009.

A speed slide is definitely welcomed for HH. Now, hopefully the county can zone lifeguards into the area. The park ran 50-80% downtime on its lazy river and old kiddie pool for most of the summer last year because of staffing shortages.

The bickering on this board is very interesting. I suggest giving the park a chance this year. SF has positioned some of its top managers into the park, and while battling a tightening budget and limited resources, they managed to get some capital approved.

This is definitely good news!

^^While I think it is fair to defend one's home park (or any park for that matter), I think that everyone has the equal right to trash it all the same. I can appreciate the fact that you are the original poster, but you can't dictate what people talk about on your thread, or on any other for that matter.

And truthfully, the conversation that has gone on over the last few days is still technically on topic--it is in regards to Six Flags America, its status in the Six Flags chain and the quality that is associated with it. From my point of view, the conversation has not taken a turn off the main road.

Again, I think that your passion for the park seems to be typing for you, because if you had read into the conversation that has been going on for the last few days, you would see that it is still on topic. The only place you will ever find "purist" Six Flags America fans congregating (and even then, there will still be the negatives) is on a SFA-focused fansite. Since you've posted on an open forum, you've got to be willing to accept the fact that the response may not be the one you like...

I understand your point, and I like discussing the park's issues when its an honest look at the problems. But I feel like (and said this pages ago) every time this thread gets bumped with anything worth talking about the same few people or a random person will come in just to say "that place should be closed", "that place sucks", "what a dump", etc. If you want to talk about actual problems, then that is great, talk about the issues and have a discussion.

I'm glad to see the park getting something. The water park is a big draw for the park, and in these economic times I'd take ANY addition over no addition. As others have said, SF is moving good leadership to the park, so hopefully this will be a good summer for them and will lead to even better things in the future.

Also, in reality, as far as the DC area goes SFA I feel like might finally be coming out on top in terms of the KD/SFA draw with new attractions. I think many people are more interested in a neat new water slide then a ferris wheel and flat ride, especially when those hot and humid summer days hit.

^Many on this thread have in fact discussed the few positives compared to the negatives for this park. The discussion has been ongoing throughout the thread, despite the few unsupported statements. I agree that someone should at least give a little bit of justification when they post an opinion, but that is that is entirely their prerogative.

I know that I as well as Ben, Brent and several others have discussed the park earlire in this thread (based on our single visit this past Summer) and each of us gave reasons as to why we felt the park fell short.

It may not be pleasant or ideal, but anyone has the right to praise or slam a park, ride or show. Like I said before, you can't expect everyone to support their claims everytime they state them. I guess all that you can do is overlook the blanket statements in favor of the ones with content and a reasonable arguement.

A waterslide!? I guess we got our hopes for nothing. It looks like I won't be stopping by SFA this year.

That could be the permits for the slides already built,remember when they added tornado the permits weren't filed until AFTER the ride was built.Still I wouldn't doubt it if they're taking the old "let's just put another cheapo slide in" route as it saves them the money needed to continue to pay for SFMM's & other favored park's new toys for 2010 & beyond.

The fact that the focus has been soley on the water park side for a better half of the decade says to my that they're really considering following CF's example with GL.Naturally more people are drawn to the water park side with new slides every two years while the ride side has been pretty much left to rot with NO new rides added in what is it now? SIX years & the precious few rides the park has are being removed one after the other leaving guests with the impression that SFI just doesn't care about the place anymore.

I see very few reasons to believe why SFA main park would close besides people keep thinking GL. SFA isn't Geauga Lake and SFA isn't a very bad performing park. SFA won't close. I can see why people have negative views on the park but it is a bit of unfair assumptions and talk in this thread. The park is neglected a bit but could this year be the a change for the better?