TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

A reading from the First Letter of Eli to the Donkeys....

...and on the 6th day, the heavenly Mr. Six arrived in the small community of Mitchellville where the masses of coaster geeks were awaiting the next coming of fun and thrill not of the evil gravy coaster. He set out to bring forth that which so many yearned for. He planted flags, six of them in the ground before the feet of residents of the small town and proclaimed, "THIS SHALL BE THE PARK KNOWN AS SIX FLAGS AMERICA." From that time forward, there was much riding, much laughter, and the masses were happy. And Mr. Six danced.

Many months and a fortnight later, Mr. Six returned to Mitchellville and saw that the evil powers of Vekoma have overcome the land of Six Flags America by removing two of the flags. At this sight, Mr. Six ceased to dance. Then he encountered people from the lad of Six Flags America and found that they had grown angry and incorrigible. He found thugs and beatnicks and broken coasters which had been shown no love no love by The "Profit" Shapiro. He found food not fit for consumption by donkeys and charred and collapsed buildings while four of the remaining flags struggled in the sky where there was no breeze from lack of coaster movement.

There were outcries from the donkeys. All of them proclaiming, "Mr. Six Mr. Six?!? What shall we do? How shall we gain more flags?!" Mr. Six then dropped to his knees, and wept longingly amidst the donkeys in Mitchellville for he knew not how to restore happiness and goodness to the land that once was Six Flags America....

Here ends the lesson...

We saw the same sort of things in the months prior to GL's closure with hours being cut back,rides not being repaired etc. because management knew it would be a waste of time & money when they were gonna close the place permanently at the end of the 2007 season so I wouldn't be suprised if this were SFA's last season,at least under the SF brand.

^What's sad is that I enjoyed SFA last year, but I have no intention of visiting the place this year. And I imagine I'll go to KD's Haunt, but that park has really slipped in the past few years.

I really hope that SFA doesn't end up the next Astroworld because there is absolutely nothing to do around here except the mall and SFA. If they turn the park into another frickin neighborhood, I might go crazy lol

SFA could become a nice park if SFI would actually take care of it like they do SFMM, SFGADV, SFGAM, or almost any other park in the chain. But after I leave for college, they can destroy it or whatever because I'm getting the hell out of here lol.

^What's sad is that I enjoyed SFA last year, but I have no intention of visiting the place this year. And I imagine I'll go to KD's Haunt, but that park has really slipped in the past few years.

Did you already forget that you DID visit the park this year?? Maybe it was better that you did forget it.

I really hope that SFA doesn't end up the next Astroworld because there is absolutely nothing to do around here except the mall and SFA.

Dude, you live next to the nations capital! Two baseball teams, a football team, a hockey team, a basketball team, tons of shopping, tons of food, tons of water......dude if you can't find anything better to do than to go to SFA in the DC area....wow

^I live in Bowie, MD (about 20-30 min from DC). Gas is way to expensive to drive all the way to DC to entertain myself everyday. SFA is so close I can see Superman's first hill from my house. I normally walk to SFA when I go and ride my bike to the mall. (Bowie Town Center)

Having read the follwoing posts about SFA from all those who have had trips there this year, I am quite happy to see the posts by Robb and Elissa about the park. I used to defend SFA in the same way- I actually ENJOYED the 2Face coaster- and the collection sports many good rides therin. Here's the problem: No love, no park. And it appears that the love is now missing from the park is causing great grief- and I've been a victim of such love.

I posted earlier in this thread about a -miserable- experience at the park- and I'm standing by it- I've not heard ONE iota of apology from the park-

I've been going to SFA/AW/WW since 1991 when the park was 'reborn'- and I've seen the 'highs' and 'lows' of the park and it's environs. Up until 2001/2002 it has always been a good experience, although a bit crowded and not the fastest operators in place, but still a generally good park. It's however disheartening to see the park decline- and in the past few years, so quickly. Rides not operating, broken or unpainted (Sorry, peeling paint DOES NOT count as theming!) nor do I see any real care for the parks's infrastructure.

Let me break it down this way: If one takes a look at the 'activity' of the park we might be getting clues to the park's future- so here goes:

1.) Rides: Last major Coaster, 2001. Seven Major coasters, Six operational at any one time, most operated under capacity. Many times single train operation on 'off' days, despite heavy crowds. Low capacity due to operators.

2.) Cleanliness: Generally good. Trash is obvious, but not overflowing. Some areas need a good sweep. Parking lots not maintained very well; trash abounding. Paint is peeling and in many cases needs replacement outside of the park's gates.

3.) Staff: Poor. With the exception of a few (Front gate/security; some shop people) Poor. I've never had such a surly experience as the operators there this season; it's as if customer service training was forgotten along the way. Beyond poor.

4.) Price. Obscene. I've seen parks hike prices through the ceiling as of the past few years, but there is some limit to the levels of cost for simple items: Water, 3.50 plus tax, for example. I will admit that I'm a bit more finicky than most on this respect, but when I'm paying around 20.00 USD for a meal, it had better be worth it. Sorry SFA, missed again.

5.) Infrastructure: Good, Bad, UGLY. The front areas of the park (Main Street, entry gates) are in good shape. Very clean and well attended. Parts of the Southwest Territory need attention (Stucco is cracked/failing; paint needed, etc.) and some rides are -certainly- in need of a good plastic surgeon. (Wild One's platform roof is missing shingles; peeling paint; Jinx has bars falling down from the queue line, lap bars inop on select rows, and 'restricted' with black electrical tape)- It looks awful to see that on every other train; even worse when that ride is one of the 'higher' capacity rides to work with. Pathways and lighting are good.

What does this spell to me: Sale of the park. It is almost inevitable at this point that they're considering it simpy to pay down debt; I can ONLY hope a good family comes along to take over SFA and make it into a decent experience once again. Good transport access, plenty of land to work with and a general re-trenching of the park is necessary to make it a viable alternative park again- as it once was. 2001/2002 were (in my opinon!) the best years of the park when they REALLY hit their stride- and with some love and attention, they could be again.

Let me break it down this way: If one takes a look at the 'activity' of the park we might be getting clues to the park's future- so here goes:

1.) Rides: Last major Coaster, 2001. Seven Major coasters, Six operational at any one time, most operated under capacity. Many times single train operation on 'off' days, despite heavy crowds. Low capacity due to operators.

In my opinion, the park needs new rides, but I don't think they need a major coaster. I wouldn't mind seeing a Spinning Coaster at the park.

4.) Price. Obscene. I've seen parks hike prices through the ceiling as of the past few years, but there is some limit to the levels of cost for simple items: Water, 3.50 plus tax, for example. I will admit that I'm a bit more finicky than most on this respect, but when I'm paying around 20.00 USD for a meal, it had better be worth it. Sorry SFA, missed again.

At this park, I recently noticed the price of a bottle water has dropped to $3.29+tax, better but still expensive. With my Premium Pass, I pass around $2.65 for a bottle of water. Food prices are expensive at any amusement park from what I have been reading. I've been eating a Subway recently inside the park. $8 for a foot long isn't to bad, perhaps a little on the expensive side. Not sure what it is with a chips and a drink.

5.) Infrastructure: Good, Bad, UGLY. The front areas of the park (Main Street, entry gates) are in good shape. Very clean and well attended. Parts of the Southwest Territory need attention (Stucco is cracked/failing; paint needed, etc.) and some rides are -certainly- in need of a good plastic surgeon. (Wild One's platform roof is missing shingles; peeling paint; Jinx has bars falling down from the queue line, lap bars inop on select rows, and 'restricted' with black electrical tape)- It looks awful to see that on every other train; even worse when that ride is one of the 'higher' capacity rides to work with. Pathways and lighting are good.

I was disappointed in the way the Jinx had closed rows on it's trains on opening days. Yes, it looks bad, but what would another park do? Close the ride? I'd rather having a operating coaster with rows in the cars blocked off than a closed coaster.

What does this spell to me: Sale of the park. It is almost inevitable at this point that they're considering it simpy to pay down debt; I can ONLY hope a good family comes along to take over SFA and make it into a decent experience once again. Good transport access, plenty of land to work with and a general re-trenching of the park is necessary to make it a viable alternative park again- as it once was. 2001/2002 were (in my opinon!) the best years of the park when they REALLY hit their stride- and with some love and attention, they could be again.

SF would be making a big mistake by selling the park to another amusement park operator. I believe the numbers are 7 million people within a 50 mile radius of the park. More people live within a hours drive of SFA than SFNE. Within 2 hours drive the numers are reversed. Those numbers are in one of the the Annual Stock Reports. If they do sell the park, it is going to be for good. They don't want another amusement park competing with Great Adventure. You really should want SF to keep the park open. Closing the park would almost mean higher prices on everything at BGE, KD, HP and probably SFGdv.

If corporate really cared about the park then they'd do something to fix the broken seats on JJ & invest in the park as a whole with new rides & attractions.Qeerrudie is right,SFA hit it's peak in 01 when corporate HAD the revenue to afford upkeep & improvements to the park but since then it's been downhill all the way with the place getting worse every year.

I'm sure they don't want competition for SFGRADV,that's why they won't sell to another operator(I mentioned this in a post a while back) so the only other alternative for SFI with regards to SFA is to follow CF's example with GL.Perhaps Snyder & Shapiro watched closely what CF did with GL & they figure that it's an easy way to get out of running a park they no longer care about so I don't see SFA being around too much longer unfortunately.

I first started going to the park back in the mid to late 90's when premier was in the process of turning things around from the old WW days,perhaps had they NEVER purchased SF from Time Warner in 98 then SFA & many of the other neglected parks in the SF chain as itstands today would've gotten the improvements that were needed for their respective sizes?

Can someone please throw this park a new ride. A Tony Hwaks Big Spin.... Something for God's sake. I hope the park gets sold. Im never going to spend my money there anyway, why when SFGadv is 25 minutes away. The best case scenario is it closes and SFI distributes the rides to other SF parks that need them like The Great Escape and SFDK.

^I doubt they would close it because the people who said that SFA is neglected because SFI doesn't want any competition for SFGADV made alot of since. Just think about it, two parks from the same company about 2-3 hours away from each other, there are about 4 other major parks in that area, plus the other smaller parks in that area, I would want most of them to go to the biggest/most popular out of the two (SFGADV) but keep the prices of everything at SFA high so that the other parks would lower their prices. That's SFI game plan.

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom to get a "new" hyper coaster in 2010!

Six Flags Over Texas Flys into thrills in 2010 with a Flying coaster!

...need I say more? Six Flags doesn't have to sell this park to get rid of it, just never open it and ship the rides off to other properties. From the sounds of things to come, this may be a reality just beyond the horizon

I'm sure they don't want competition for SFGRADV,that's why they won't sell to another operator

A seasonal park with a New York market competing with a Washington DC market?

SFA should be sold, its a bad park, with a bad reputation among the people in the area, and in a bad location. Washington could potentially be a market for a very good park but SFA is NOT that park and never will be.

I honestly don't think that this park needs anything...it really doesn't matter whether Six flags throws money at it or lets it rot, the local public will still go there no matter what. I don't think Six Flags expects anyone out of state to visit or visit and have a good time. The park always has a bunch of people in it. There is rarely a slow day. So Six Flags is spending the bare minimal on the park knowing that they will still have people lined up to get inside.

^Just because there's a ton of people in a park doesn't always mean they're bringing in the big bucks. You have to look at who's coming in, for how long, what they're doing while they're there, etc. Magic Mountain was in the same boat a few years ago. Coaster after coaster kept the turnstiles spining, but they were still loosing money. X, Deja Vu, Goliath, & Riddler's Revenge all had 2+ hour waits, but there was no money coming in.

Begin Rant-

Sea World San Antonio and Six Flags Fiesta Texas are within minutes of each other. So are Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Great America. Six Flags Magic Mountain also has it's hands full with Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Studios as local competitors. I can all but guarentee that not a single one of these parks steal any signifigence from the other. Unless SFA was sold to a company that was willing to beef up the park, and invest millions upon millions of dollars to compete with GADV, Six Flags could wash their hands of this park and never have to worry about it again. Cedar Fair will never invest in a park to outshine Cedar Point. Universal or Disney wouldn't take it because the transformation from sub par thrill to fun for all ages would be to great. There aren't any other operators that could compete financially with SFGADv. Sell the damn thing!

-End Rant.

I'm sure they don't want competition for SFGRADV,that's why they won't sell to another operator

A seasonal park with a New York market competing with a Washington DC market?

SFA should be sold, its a bad park, with a bad reputation among the people in the area, and in a bad location. Washington could potentially be a market for a very good park but SFA is NOT that park and never will be.

Not quite, Upper Marlboro is actually one of the nicer parts of the outer Baltimore area, driving to SFA you pass some luxury apartments and nice neighborhoods. SFA has a lot of potentiol and it's really a beautiful park with nice scenery, the only part of the park that isn't nice is Gotham City, which can be cleaned up easily. The bad track record isn't specifically just the park, it's Six Flags low maintenance requirements and the fact that the funding from Corporate to the park isn't that much. Look at Darien Lake, I went in 2002 under Six Flags and the place really was gross (although ROS was running better), then went last year and it was much cleaner, staff was nicer, and overall a better experiance. So yes, it shold be sold, but not for the reasons you stated.

^Just because there's a ton of people in a park doesn't always mean they're bringing in the big bucks. You have to look at who's coming in, for how long, what they're doing while they're there, etc. Magic Mountain was in the same boat a few years ago. Coaster after coaster kept the turnstiles spining, but they were still loosing money. X, Deja Vu, Goliath, & Riddler's Revenge all had 2+ hour waits, but there was no money coming in.

I've never been to Magic Mountain and I'm not going to pretend to know Six Flags plan for SFA or MM. I'm just saying what I see at the park. I always see it packed with lines around the food stands, games, and tube and locker rentals in the water park. I also see Six Flags not maintaining a lot of areas in the park. I also see them adding very little.

Begin Rant-

Sea World San Antonio and Six Flags Fiesta Texas are within minutes of each other. So are Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Great America. Six Flags Magic Mountain also has it's hands full with Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Studios as local competitors. I can all but guarentee that not a single one of these parks steal any signifigence from the other. Unless SFA was sold to a company that was willing to beef up the park, and invest millions upon millions of dollars to compete with GADV, Six Flags could wash their hands of this park and never have to worry about it again. Cedar Fair will never invest in a park to outshine Cedar Point. Universal or Disney wouldn't take it because the transformation from sub par thrill to fun for all ages would be to great. There aren't any other operators that could compete financially with SFGADv. Sell the damn thing!

-End Rant.

Here is my point, close the park and where do the million + people the park attract go? Great Adventure or Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens. Kings Dominion, Busch Gardnes or even Hershey Park. Sell the park and Great Adventure adds another competitor.

It's a possibility (I've learned to never say never) but I think there is a outside chance, I also think the park can be improved with some investment.

^Well I don't want to come off as being misunderdtood. My problem isn't directly with te park and how it's ran or anything. I'm just in opposition to Mark Shapiro and his lack to take care of the smaller parks, and continued neglect thereof. It doesn't seem to me like enough corporate attention is paid to this park to rectfy it's dismal state. Keeping it open as a like chain to avoid stolen visitorship seems like a cheap shot, and those one million + deserve better than that, and the park deserves better than that. Chances are, If corporate has gotten around to changing all these other parks for the better, why are they waiting til the last minute to even start with SFA? Odds are, they'll never get around to it.