TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I dunno...

#1: They don't wear the same uniforms as the other SF parks that I have been to in 2008.

#2: No Q-Bots

#3: Ride Ops do not appear to have the same training as the other SF parks. If they do, then the trainer sucks.

I did find #1 very interesting, when I visited SFGAdv and saw their neon shirts I was confused as to why SFA still had blue uni's. That said I prefer the blue ones...

There is no reason for the park to use QBot. QBot works well for the parks like SFGAdv because all major rides have an hour+ line. SFA has 15 minute or less lines for everything except Batwing and occasionally SROS. You would not see many people willing to spend the extra cash on 90% of the days the park is open for a QBot.

Having gone through the training on numerous rides at SFA and visited other SF parks it seems to me the standard operating procedure are for the most the same. The only large difference I ever notice is the attendants on the load side have to check heights because they rarely have enough staff to put someone at the entrance to rides. (except of course the rides that require a locker, getting that extra locket money is crucial. ) All I can really think is that all the high school kids that were working at the park all summer and had the operation/spiels/etc. down pat have returned to school so the park has unfamiliar people op'ing/attending rides.

I think it's really easy to defend the park when you are a local, but I think you really need to try to look at the park as an outsiders perspective.

I hadn't visited the park since I lived in the Baltimore area and I found the park to be in a serious state of disrepair.

The entire experience "felt" like the park was about to either be sold or closed.

I'm not sure how exactly to discribe why I felt that way, but that was my gut feeling. It would seem as though corporate is ignorning this park and has not gotten the same "love" that all the other Six Flags parks have received since Shaprio took over.

IMO, the park no longer fits into the model that they have created for Six Flags.

As a smaller regional park, I think it would work just fine. But as a Six Flags park under the new management's vision, it doesn't even come close to cutting it.

--Robb

I think locals don't feel that way (in terms of it closing soon) because in all honesty it just is what it is, its been the same general way for so many years now you just get used to mediocrity year after year.

To say the least SFA is seriously neglected. I am in all honesty very pissed as a stock holder in the chain because to me they just keep squandering opportunity after opportunity to improve the place. They could have easily sent SFNE's Dark Knight down to SFA, and it would have been a fine attraction for the park, a well themed family ride that would generate some interest in the park in the DC area, but instead they're going to send it all the way down to Mexico as rumors indicate?

Another thing to consider is that the park has done a lot since the Shapiro takeover, but a lot of that has happened under the radar. For example, the park added a completely new park wide sound system and a very large new HR building... both things that could easily be overlooked by someone not familiar with the park. For people who visit day in and day out, a lot of smaller changes have happened that are easy to notice (new sound systems/lighting in most of the shows, a ton of new signage in the park and in the parking lot, a lot of new paint in various areas around the park, modifications to improve a lot of the current food venues and theaters), however, I'll agree that there is a LONG way to go.

Can it be done? Of course, but you have to remember that SFA was in much worse shape when they received it than a park like SFOG, SFDK, or SFGAdv was. For a lot of those parks, employees were the only real issue... SFA's issues went down to the foundation (I know for a fact that this year a fair amount of capital went ito repairing/replacing airconditioning/heating units on some of the buildings).

As a local, I agree that my opinion is biased, but also, as a local, I'm happy to say that changes have occurred at SFA. However, I think the current focus is on getting the infrastructure of the park fixed before moving to more surface level matters and that means you might have to wait another year or so for these infrastructure upgrades to be complete before they can completely focus on the surface level issues...

Just my thoughts...

Though SFA is my "home" Six Flags, I never had a reason to go until I attended the Behemoth/Flyer trip and "learned to stop worrying and love wooden coasters." I made the two-hour drive up after work last Thursday, not the least of which to score a season pass to make my weekend trip to SFGAd a little cheaper (season passes are $50 at SFA, $99 at SFGAd).

This place, to me, was downright scary; I didn't feel entirely safe walking alone (though maybe that was just my overactive imagination). A lot of rides were closed, and with the exception of those attending that evening's Flo Rida concert, the park was nearly deserted. That said, I did more or less get two hours of ERT on Wild One and Roar, which were the two coasters I specifically went to ride.

I had mixed experiences with the staff. The woman at the parking gate informed me, without looking up, "$15 if you wanna park" and seemed very put out when I handed her my money instead of driving my car off Six Flags property and going someplace to die. But the ride ops on Roar were great, joking with the crowd and high-fiving riders on the way out of the station even while spending at least two of my five rides trying, in English and pantomime, to explain to a non-English-speaking woman why she couldn't dive over the railing to look for her son's missing hat.

Is this a nice park, ride-wise? Yeah. Is it a Six Flags park? In name and Warner Bros. licensing only. Unfortunately, I suspect Dave's "Condoland" prediction is pretty prescient. Once the housing crisis levels off, so will SFA.

Okay.. I see what is going on here... TPR was there the day of th Flo Ryda concert. As I read through each of these posts, I began to wonder if that was the day TPR was there and now Printersdevil confirmed it. The way he described it has not been my experience at the park this season. I haven't felt unsafe in the park all season, there has been plenty of security around.

I can't believe that you guys are afraid to walk around SFA!! I never feel threatened for my life at any theme park (except when a bunch of scary-looking people stared at me at The Adventure Dome in Vegas) probably I only go there to ride the rides and not judge the appearance f the park.

^It wasn't being scared to walk around. It was the staff almost running us over in the golf carts. Oh and some people receiving threats from using the Flashpasses.

I'll say the evil golf cart people almost ran me over at least 5 times. Anyone that was there can confirm that. Plus when they would weave in and out of people, they kept losing stuff on their cart. Between that and the ride ops encouraging people to boo us for using Flashpasses, I'd say that the park was pretty bad.

Edit: Oh wait, being run over would make me scared to walk around.

The Superman: ROS queue line is a cess pool. We witnessed someone getting arrested on opening day for groping a bunch of underaged cheerleaders. It really was a bad situation as the poor/shocked/bawling cheerleader had to be brought out by her parents with security as the other guy was being led out of the station in the other direction. After two bad visits on two separate occasions in that park, I plan on never visiting it again. I honestly never feel very safe in that park.

My favorite SFA memory was of Mind Eraser's crew. The ride was being stacked for such long periods that someone actually came into the station so overheated from sitting on the brake run that they had to call a medical crew to take the guest away.

It just baffles me that I keep hearing so many bad things about this park when all of the other SF parks have gotten so much better. Six Flags has made so much progress in bringing their parks up to quality standards, they really either need to sell the park off or pour some major funds into it to make a noticeable difference.

The Superman: ROS queue line is a cess pool. We witnessed someone getting arrested on opening day for groping a bunch of underaged cheerleaders. It really was a bad situation as the poor/shocked/bawling cheerleader had to be brought out by her parents with security as the other guy was being led out of the station in the other direction. After two bad visits on two separate occasions in that park, I plan on never visiting it again. I honestly never feel very safe in that park.

Wow! Never heard about that, but, I did hear about the one of Valley Fair. Are you never going there again?

Swimace, I think we all will agree the ride ops need to step it up. I think they are improving but only time will tell.

^It wasn't being scared to walk around. It was the staff almost running us over in the golf carts. Oh and some people receiving threats from using the Flashpasses.

I'll say the evil golf cart people almost ran me over at least 5 times. Anyone that was there can confirm that. Plus when they would weave in and out of people, they kept losing stuff on their cart. Between that and the ride ops encouraging people to boo us for using Flashpasses, I'd say that the park was pretty bad.

Edit: Oh wait, being run over would make me scared to walk around.

I was there that same day you guys were there and I noticed that crazy golf cart riding around the park blasting music and giving yall reasons to call the park ghetto, but that is the only "ghetto" thing I have ever witnessed at the park. I also saw alot of managers walking around that day and it seemed like they didn't care that those people were driving that thing like that.

Nobody waiting in line likes it when they've waited a good amount of time and as soon as they think they are about to ride, some person with a flashpass takes their seat and makes them wait longer. Not saying that it was a long wait, but that irritates me also.

I guess whenever TPR plans a visit to SFA, all of the crazy people make sure that they can keep SFA's bad rep a bad one. And from the looks of it, even the park managers want to keep that bad rep.

I dunno...

I think the park itself has great potential. There are some bits that seem to indicate that SF is getting ready to sell it or close it.

#1: They don't wear the same uniforms as the other SF parks that I have been to in 2008.

They're the same uniforms, only they are not that obnoxious yellow color. I'm still not sure why they would only wear the blue uniform for one year... seems a terrible waste of money, or a very unfair expense for the employees... I believe SFA is not the only park that kept the blue uniforms from last season...

Ok... If the employees are having to buy them, then I can surrender that. Speaking as a stock holder though, I would personally like to see some consistency across the brand. If that means that the company need to buy at least 2 or 3 shirts for the employees, then so be it. The fact that SFA (and apparently some others) are allowed to use the same uniforms again when there is a major change seems to indicate that there some issues between the park and the brand. It tells me that SFA is less of a priority than some others. I seem to remember someone with some information on SF numbers as a whole saying that SFA has remained profitable year after year for sometime. Why then the lack of corporate oversight?

#2: No Q-Bots

The same can be said for half the other parks in the chain... including both California parks, SFKK, SFM, and Great Escape...

Is there a reason? After some little bits and pieces of information regarding the Q-Bots, I know that it is quite an expensive system to install. This brings me back to consistency across the brand. If the parks were operated as franchises, I probably wouldn't bring consistancy up as a point since franchises are allowed a certain amount of levity in what they offer their customers.

#3: Ride Ops do not appear to have the same training as the other SF parks. If they do, then the trainer sucks.

Apparently you've never been to La Ronde...

Nope. Haven't been there. I would be interested in your thoughts on this park in a private message as I scour TPR for some posts about the property.

The spirit of my original post though is that SFA seems to be getting less corporate attention than the other SF properties that I have visited. It all adds up to a couple of questions: Is SF planning to sell it or close it? Do they simply have a crap local president at SFA? As a new stock holder in the company, I plan on listening closely to the webcasts and participating in stock holder town hall meetings so that I can gain a better understanding of what is going on. Admittedly, like so many others, I don't know 100% or even 50% of what is going on. You can rest assured that if I am going to be pumping my own, hard earned money into something as major as a stock investment, I will be seeking to understand more of what the corporate strategy is.

SFA was doing ok until the end of 2001 going in to 2002,when Burke & Co. got it in their heads to focus a majority of the cap ex budget year after year on SFMM,SFGRAM & SFGRADV & as a result the smaller parks in the chain(mainly the former premier properties) fell by the wayside getting passed over year after year for much needed rides in favor of the larger parks.

Okay.. I see what is going on here... TPR was there the day of th Flo Ryda concert. As I read through each of these posts, I began to wonder if that was the day TPR was there and now Printersdevil confirmed it. The way he described it has not been my experience at the park this season. I haven't felt unsafe in the park all season, there has been plenty of security around.

BZZT! Try again.

Flo Ryda has nothing to do with the coasters not performing as they should be or the ride op crews being terrible.

The park needs some visible support from corporate and without it I don't see it lasting very long as a Six Flags property.

Airtime, my suggestion to you is to stop being so defensive and actually listen to what people have to say. It's obvious you're justifying every criticism that has been made and there really isn't any excuse, enough though you would like to think there is. Citing Valleyfair as a comparison is not a valid argument. Trust me, neither SFA or Valleyfair should be a benchmark for ANYTHING.

--Robb

And just to make Robb's post clear...we were NOT there the day of the Flo Rida concert.

I used to be one of SFA's biggist defenders as in all of my visits between 2001-2005 I never had one of those 'typical' SFA days that you always heard about. Even last year when we went back for the first time in a couple of years we had a pretty good visit.

This year was just terrible. That park should be deflagged fast, if Six Flags is serious about improving their image.

And just to make Robb's post clear...we were NOT there the day of the Flo Rida concert.

I used to be one of SFA's biggist defenders as in all of my visits between 2001-2005 I never had one of those 'typical' SFA days that you always heard about. Even last year when we went back for the first time in a couple of years we had a pretty good visit.

This year was just terrible. That park should be deflagged fast, if Six Flags is serious about improving their image.

Lmao, SFA= One Flag! Less Flags Less Fun, More Rip-Off!

BZZT! Try again.

Flo Ryda has nothing to do with the coasters not performing as they should be or the ride op crews being terrible.

I never said it did.

Airtime, my suggestion to you is to stop being so defensive and actually listen to what people have to say. It's obvious you're justifying every criticism that has been made and there really isn't any excuse, enough though you would like to think there is.

I've heard it enough times. On site, after site, after site.... I'm tired of hearing how dumpy the place looks, the ride ops are horrible and park operations stink. I wouldn't defend the park if I didn't think the park wasn't trying to improve. To maintain my loyalty to the park, they have to improve and they have. Yes, the park needs to paint the rides and buildings. Yes, the ride ops can be slow and lazy and I get frustrated when I show up to ride Superman at 10:30 on a Sunday morning and find it isn't ready to open with the rest of the park. What I don't know is why this is happening? Did corporate cut back the parks hours so they could pad the books before a investor's conference call? Are parts being held up in customs? Was there a complaint to the state about the safety of the ride that is being investigated? Did three ride ops go out on Saturday night and call out the next day? Did the park fire an employee for violating safety protocols? Did the ride get struck by lighting the night before?

Citing Valleyfair as a comparison is not a valid argument. Trust me, neither SFA or Valleyfair should be a benchmark for ANYTHING.

I wasn't comparing Valleyfair operations to SFA operations. I was comparing two similar crimes.

What I really don't understand is , how I can go to this park, time and time again all summer long (to the point my wife gets upset about it) and not encounter a fight, girls yelling profanity at me, and never witness a ride op booing anyone because they have Flash Passes. Yet, TPR shows up and all of this stuff happens in a day.

In summary... Yes, the park needs some work. Perhaps if SFMM was left to rot and the money dumped into SFA instead we wouldn't be having this conversation. IMHO, they are improving and when I walk into the park I overlook the ride ops knowing I will get more rides on Superman and Wild One in one hour than someone that drove 2.5 hours to stand in line at Kings Dominion.

Though SFA is my "home" Six Flags, I never had a reason to go until I attended the Behemoth/Flyer trip and "learned to stop worrying and love wooden coasters." I made the two-hour drive up after work last Thursday, not the least of which to score a season pass to make my weekend trip to SFGAd a little cheaper (season passes are $50 at SFA, $99 at SFGAd).

Wow, TPR has changed your life

I bought a Six Flags America season pass on the last day of the season last year, and have been to SFNE, SFGAd twice, and SFOG this year, and never SFA. Just have no real reason to go, until now, because I have to see if it is as bad as it was the day TPR went. I'll probably go the last day of the season to get another 50 dollar pass.