TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Bummer the old Wild World slides are closed. I liked those. Well, I guess they have the equal elsewhere in the water park now.

Halfpipe looks fun. It'd be worth a go.

CoasterLover, can I get a copy of the 1st panarama shot and/or the closeup pic of the THH sign for my desktop? I like those shots, but can't save them from the link above.

Bummer the old Wild World slides are closed. I liked those. Well, I guess they have the equal elsewhere in the water park now.

Halfpipe looks fun. It'd be worth a go.

CoasterLover, can I get a copy of the 1st panarama shot and/or the closeup pic of the THH sign for my desktop? I like those shots, but can't save them from the link above.

You may have to become a member at SFAFANS first in order to DL & save the pics to your desktop for use as wallpaper.I'm a member over there & actually met up with the webmaster Airtime at the park last season but since I'm thoroughly disgusted with the way the park is being run,and treated by SFI havn't been posting lately over there.

I'd been a passholder there since 98 & the park was running well back then but in recent years I've seen it go downhill to the point where I just don't feel like I'm getting a good value anymore for my money so I've taken a break this year in the hopes that by 2009 things may start to improve there.

Even though the park has some issues to work out , I'm willing to give it the benefit of a doubt. But I still go there sometimes twice during the season. Went there a couple of weeks ago,everything was running,except for Two Face. Even Skull Mtn. was running. One good thing,though,they did some rehab work on Roar,which was smooth for once...

Two Face most likely isn't going to open until the end of this month, early next month, or even the end of August They are still getting pieces and everything straight with that ride because of the "tragedy" that happened last year on Fright Fest.

"Hey Ya!!!

That's my normal greeting whenever I begin my post at SFAFANS, but I haven't been much of a fan this season, although I did enjoy parts from the last couple of seasons I've been there as a pass holder. When Six Flags America announced the Tony Hawk's Half-pipe waterslide, I was thinking "That's good that SFA is getting something new, but it's not good enough for me to return there - I've gotten a bad case of SFA fatigue and perhaps a season or two off would do me some good"

By the way, according to the photo, it looks like they placed the Half-pipe ride in front of the four Rainbow slides and read some comments that those slides "are being left to rot". Is that correct: the Rainbow slides are closed?

Well, maybe next season SFA would announce some additions that would whet my appetite and force me to exclaim out loud "I GOTTA BE THERE THIS SEASON!!! or maybe it will be the same old same old.

when i went to Six Flags America it was when Batwing was brand new. frankly speaking i loved the Superman, Batwing, and Roar. I also really liked Joker's Jinx. when i was there it was relatively busy. the thing is though the park is bit stretched out far. its got space to grow - which is always a good thing.

Wow MD must have a very lax test for becoming a life guard. Thank god I’m a good swimmer.

I mean I have seen larger life guards before but not like that!

Honest question, how less ghetto is SFA nowadays. I have avoided that park since my last visit in like 2000. Every visit at least 1 small group fight, could still watch drug sales, etc. Is it any better or still thug ville?

wtf.jpg.d03c79db4b2fcb3674f2983c336bc583.jpg

I hope I never drown at this park!!!

^I thought that was SFoG as they had a shooting there last year, or was that SFA again?

I'm not surprised that something like this happened as I knew it was bound to happen(not to such a large scale though), but I have to wonder why you'd want to shoplift from a Six Flags park. Yeah they sometimes have some nice clothing, but the rest they sell is usually just crap.

Superman's red train is finally on the transfer track!

I meant to take a picture of that yesterday. There were six mechanics by the transfer track (some under, some on) and two of them were pushing the train forward. Not sure what the purpose was, but they were actually moving it a little!

Honest question, how less ghetto is SFA nowadays. I have avoided that park since my last visit in like 2000. Every visit at least 1 small group fight, could still watch drug sales, etc. Is it any better or still thug ville?

LOL! You think SFA is ghetto?!?! LOL

SFA is not ghetto at all, if you think its ghetto, then you don't know ghetto! Yeah there are still drug dealers, but thats not the park's fault, I mean sure they could at least try to do something about it, but you just get over it after a while. I havent seen a fight there in about 4 years, there are play fights all the time though. I guess it has gotten better since 2000, but I never thought it was "thug ville" lol

I must say I do pretty much hate SFA. It just angers me that a park with quite a bit of potential, (Less than an hour away from the Nation's Capital) is SO neglected by SFI. I was surprised back a few years ago when SFI dumped some of their parks from their line up that they kept SFA, and I really thought they would make an effort to fix it up. It is true that when people say that they haven't improved the park they forget to mention that just 2 years ago they gave our water park a nice little face lift/paint job. But the problem is, like someone stated earlier, the Mid-Atlantic region is extremely competitive. (Luckily I live right in the middle of it all ) To the north of DC you have Hershey, Dorney, SFGAdv, Kennywood, and to the south you have Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens. With 5 of those 6 opening a new coaster this year or last year, SFA NEEDS to keep up if they want to stay in business. I will tell you one thing though, it will be pretty tough for SFI to close it down cause even though the park is some crap, everyone in the DC Metro area loves themselves some SFA....

(Only because they don't feel like driving 2 hours to go some place else...)

i was only there when Batwing was new, and the only problem i had with the park was they couldn't seem to keep the rides running all the time. I overall had an enjoyable experience though. Batwing still stands as my favorite flying coaster, and Superman Ride of Steel and Roar made it to my top ten.

yeah Roar is a coaster people near-universally deslike/hate and i actually loved it.

I visited SFA three times last season (spring and summer), and was pleasantly surprised by the place--good mix of coasters (especially Wild One) and decent operations (with the exception of Batwing). they even bent over backwards to get the Skull Mountain flume ride running when I was there (it was fun).

But opening day this season did not bode well--bad ops, breakdowns, security issues, staff that spent more time goofing off than doing their jobs.

I hope things improve. SFA does have a lot of space and potential.

LOL! You think SFA is ghetto?!?! LOL

SFA is not ghetto at all, if you think its ghetto, then you don't know ghetto! Yeah there are still drug dealers, but thats not the park's fault, I mean sure they could at least try to do something about it, but you just get over it after a while. I havent seen a fight there in about 4 years, there are play fights all the time though. I guess it has gotten better since 2000, but I never thought it was "thug ville" lol

I guess I should rephrase that. When you were around 6-8 the elements in the park were ghetto. And yes it used to be bad. The park was cute, had a crummy navigation and layout but was cute.

The park was always known back then as a gang park, and during the transaction to the SF name they did try really hard in cleaning it up at first and get familys to actually come to the park.

But I know for myself personally I got tired of the violent issues more so then the drug trades (In which they didn’t even try to be discreet about). Just don’t make eye contact, and leave before dark and you are fine. Problem they had a lot of people who use to go into the park were drunk or drugged up.

My personal favorite memory was a couple in front of us up ahead walking when a group of I guess gang members for no reason swung at the guy, then tossed the woman to the ground.. Great Park! That really big security guard that use to always be in the park came running in. That was also my one of my final visits.

Violent outbreaks and guests being forcefully removed was not uncommon, not to mention guest who refused to get off the rides and employees who were to scared to do anything about it, parking lot you knew to really keep an eye on your surroundings, etc.

Glad to hear the violence issue seems to be tamed although.

SFA seemed like a park with much possibilities in which were never achieved. One day I will give it a shot again maybe.

SFA is just a park with a lot of potential. If SFI just fixed up the park a little and added a new big attraction, SFA would be a whole lot better. They have a nice coaster line up already in my opinion. And no the park isn't "ghetto". I've seen worse at other parks.

Two Face most likely isn't going to open until the end of this month, early next month, or even the end of August They are still getting pieces and everything straight with that ride because of the "tragedy" that happened last year on Fright Fest.

It just sounds like they don't even want to open it again like they are doing at Great America for Space Shuttle America. This ride will not open today is what they put by it. Maybe, they are thinking about a mouse coaster next year. That ride was working fine at Kings Island. I really wish these parks would hire more real cops, and not just park police.

For those people that stold something, they should be arrested. They did the crime. If you let them off easy, they will think they can do it again.

Superman's red train is finally on the transfer track!

That's nice to see! SFA is my home park. Or ex-home park I guess. Superman lines are no fun in with a one train wait.

I was just there at the beginning of May and luckily there were no lines, but almost everything had one train operation, and I really don't enjoy the whole locker business. I understand it though 'cause my friends had a ride operator at Skull Mountain give another person their bag. Yeah it was terrible.

I find it amusing all the people calling SFA "ghetto". I suppose if you're not from the area if might seem that way, but I kind of enjoy the way SFA is. Makes me feel at home, haha.

I bought a 2008 SFA season pass on the last day of the season last year, but have not had the time or energy to go to the park at all this year.

Anyway, it is really funny how pretty much all SFA locals see two train opperation on any coaster as a big accomplishment.

I just don't have any reason to absolutely love SFA or hate it, as almost everyone else seems to do.....

I went to SFA last summer around April/May and it was fine. The entrance was nice and all the rides were running. I do admit that it shouldn't take 15min to dispatch a train for Batwing seeing how Kings Island can do it in 5min or less.

I saw no gangs, drug deals, or fights... but I was only there from about 11am until 3pm. In that time I got multiple rides on Wild One, Roar, Jokers Jinx and Superman.

Superman had one train operation which caused the line to be about 20min for the front and 10min for the back... did I mention that there was NOBODY at the park?

Jokers Jinx, TwoFace, Mind Eraser, Wild One, and Roar were walk-ons the entire day. I even got to sit in the FRONT seat of Jokers Jinx three times in a row because there was no one else in the queue.

The ride selection was good, especially Wild One and Roar.

Now, for my A+ story towards SFA

The last coaster we had to ride at the park was Roar. We walked up the queue to find out that it had been closed down because of a mechanical issue. It had been closed for 10min they said. All the ride ops were sitting out on benches in front of the ride. Now, they were cursing and joking around... but who doesn't these days?

We got into a conversation and they asked why I was visiting the park. I said I was on a roller coaster tour on the east coast with my friend. I told them I keep track of the rides I have ridden, they laughed and called me a dork, I smiled and said "I know".

I asked them how bad the mechanical issue was with the ride. They said they had no idea, that it had been breaking down for the past week and had been closed more than open.

Damn, just my luck, right? Well, something happened then that I did not expect to happen. The head ride op (Thank you if you're reading this!) called the mechanics on this radio and told them "There's a guy and his friend here that traveled from Florida to ride our rides, can you get over here and fix it?" I heard a "10-4" from the other side.

A few minutes later 3 mechanics walk up to the coaster. Within 15min, the ride was fixed.

I was not expecting that from SFA after all the negative reviews I read about the park. But to me, it was a great park with a good selection of rides. I'd go back.