TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Granted, PG county is probably the cheapest of the inner DC suburbs to live in, but using a special exemption to get away with paying less than minimum wage feels malicious.

They should really be paying at least state minimum wage, though I think for an expensive place like the DC metro area (even if it's cheap-ish by DC standards), they should be paying somewhere around $15/hr. If Six Flags Great Adventure can do it, I don't see what's stopping SFA.

• Like 3

From the newsletter, a Firebird model!

The Firebird Nanocoaster Is Here!

Ever wish you could just take a coaster home from Six Flags America? When you visit Inferno Gifts or our online merch store, you can! Firebird is NOW AVAILABLE, Maryland's first and only floorless coaster.

This exclusive Nanocoaster is custom-designed and carefully crafted to model each drop, twist, and loop. It's also easy to assemble! Get this and several other thrilling favorites at our online merch store.

* For super authentic design the fire feature is turned off. I will also stand behind you and smack you in the ear.

On 8/8/2021 at 9:17 PM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Completely agree. What a way to treat the people who create your company's value. It's not like the cost of living in the MD suburbs is 2/3 of what it is in DC, either.

You are aware that if they don't want to work at an amusement park, they can go find other work? It's not forced labor.

Yes, and it is the responsibility of governments to align those interests. You definitely want large employers in your town, but you also want those large employers to pay enough that your cost of services goes down. If you have 10,000 residents who all need EBT and Section 8 and heating subsidies and all that, is that employer really benefiting your town? Probably not. That's where minimum wage laws are actually valuable, they essentially privatize those services by shifting how people pay for necessities from government subsidies to their own paycheck.

So when it comes down to large international businesses like this saying "We want an exemption from the law to pay below minimum wage," what they're really saying is "We want the people of this town to pay our employees for us." If you live in that town, you're right to feel that's deeply unfair. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it has more to do with: it's back to school time, the park is losing their student staff, they don't have enough people to operate the entire park, therefore it makes no sense to attempt to staff a ride that is in the far back corner of the park on its own barren pathway as the season is winding down.

12 hours ago, abovethesink said:

It would be pretty funny if they ripped of the Dragon Slayer killing the Dragon marketing campaign from Adventureland and kept teasing a Joker beats Batman reveal that eventually led to a Freespin.

I could see a Freespin going where Penguin's Blizzard River is.

But what I'd also like to see is something replacing Shipwreck Falls (seems to be the trend lately; taking out these Shoot the Chutes rides), maybe a Sky Rocket II. Hey I'm biased towards that idea because Premier Rides is Baltimore based!

Reality is, I should stop smoking that DC area crack because SFA likely isn't getting jack shit for 2022!

I rode Nighthawk once. I rode Batwing once. I went to KI while Firehawk was still running but its removal had been announced. I skipped it. I will not be sad when all of the old Vekoma flyers are removed. I'd be happy to try the new style flyer at least once.

4 hours ago, SharkTums said:

I honestly didn't even realize Batwing was still operating! I kind of assumed all the old Vekoma Flyers were pretty much done for at this point. 

Funny thing is when Batwing is operating; it actually does have a decent sized line. 

However I don't recall the last time two train operations were done (and the other train is a parts donor thing now)

On 8/22/2021 at 8:43 PM, Jason Maier said:

So I saw this today at Six Flags America. Could this be a sign that the park is finally saying "Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo" it with this coaster and it's going to be removed?

For what it's worth, I was at the park yesterday also and it looked like there was a maintenance guy on the platform. He dispatched a train as we were exiting SROS. 

On 8/12/2021 at 8:22 AM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

You are aware that what you just said makes you sound like a d*ck, right?

Aw, did your feelings get hurt little boy?

I don't show up for a job I don't feel I get paid adequately for. I would hope everyone feels that way, if not, shame on them and they deserve less.

39 minutes ago, jconsolmagno said:

Aw, did your feelings get hurt little boy?

I don't show up for a job I don't feel I get paid adequately for. I would hope everyone feels that way, if not, shame on them and they deserve less.

I mean, I agree with you to a point, but you don't have to throw knives! 

• 3 weeks later...

More random thoughts here:

Me personally dropping weight made me have more fun at the park this year because a. I wasn't being stapled into restraints and b. I could actually be shirtless at Hurricane Harbor! (I don't care about being fit/toned; just happy the pounds are down)

Assuming at some point Shipwreck Falls and/or Renegade Rapids get scrapped (seems to be the trend for those types of attractions being removed); what if anything replaces them? My opinion is that the RR plot could be used for an RMC Raptor and the SF plot could be used for a Sky Rocket 2. 

Yes ladies and gentlemen, I know those two ideas have no chance of ever happening (and I should stop using that DC area crack!) 🤣

• Like 1