TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

It is definitely not a fake video. The guy who took it typically posts completely unrelated videos that haven’t previously gotten a lot of views (not to say his videos aren’t good). This one blew up and currently has 3.1 M views on TikTok. Regardless, he posted a version without sound where you can hear “We’re gonna get someone do not worry we are going to get you off” coming from the ride operator. I downloaded it and it is here for those who don’t have TT. The user who posted is big216teezy.

Regardless, sounds like it should be an isolated issue. Still, doesn’t look great...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disownedpear said:

Any engineers here know how close this thing was to catastrophic failure? Because it looks mighty close to me.

Married to an engineer. 

Turns out it’s not even close to catastrophic failure. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Superbatboy said:

How often are these things inspected? Geez

I think once a year in Maryland, might be different for a new ride though. The inspectors do make recommendations, such as moving a control panel so guests can't press it, or improving clearances. 

It definitely needs to be closed until they can figure it out. I agree with people who are saying it's something with the motor based on the sound and the way the one leg is bouncing. The sound matches with a motor turning at least to my ears but then again I'm not an engineer and suck with anything mechanical.

Oh good lord people this is a mountain out of a mole hill.  Look at Xcelerator's top hat after a train launches.  This ride was probably improperly run (off-balance most likely) for a cycle and the structure needs to calm itself down between cycles.

• Confused 1

^Are you kidding this is hot breaking Six Flags America action! 🤪

https://patch.com/maryland/bowie/six-flags-ride-shuts-down-video-shows-structure-shaking-report

Park PR confirmed the ride is closed for inspection. I am an engineer myself, and I can’t tell you how close this was to reaching a critical stress point because I don’t have any specific information about the ride. I don’t work for Zamperla! I can tell you that is not a normal amount of deflection expected in a typical ride cycle though, and if it were this ride wouldn’t last very long. Within a factor of safety? Sure. Comparing it to regular operating track sway on Xcelerator?.... No.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Any idea on what the park might get for 2022?

I realize that none of these ideas will likely happen; but stranger shit has happened before!

1. Roar finally gets the Iron Horse treatment 
2. Shipwreck Falls gets dismantled (seems to be a trend lately of Shoot the Chutes rides going away)
3. Penguin's Blizzard River gets taken out in favor of an RMC Raptor

I agree that Blizzard River is ugly and sucks, but here are the queue times for the last week. It has great uptime and it's reasonably popular. Is there any actual reason that everyone wants this gone other than the fact that they don't personally like it? I agree that I'd love to see it die but I don't know if there's any reason to expect that it will.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.ad09b5f6b092b352a00ebc7e099b759d.jpg

Attempt 5 of the season to ride Harley Quinn as successful. I am not accustomed to this park being packed, I prefer the ghost town vibe and riding everything , lunch, snack and out in under 2 and a half hours. Three hours for HQ and a burger was extreme.

Johnny Rocket's can be just as entertaining as the stunt show. One person cooking and one person taking orders, a rainbow of every color shirt manager just overwhelmed.  At one point four managers and three workers. By the way, all of the  attention to cleanliness has gone out the window now that COVID is apparently completely over.

HQ holds 40 people and WTF every cycle had 20 of them wearing Crocs or slides storing and putting them back on and another 5 that got on the ride and then expect the op to take them off and store them like they be Cinderella. Slooooooooow loading.

Vaping , pants down below boxers, wandering restricted areas, and way too much sloppy boob spillage on bikini tops in the dry park all on the rise.

All that said, HQ is a nice addition and gives some interest to that area. Along with WW two solid adds . As far as what's next?  New trains and name on Mind Eraser would be the best we could hope for. 

1 hour ago, MisterBrow said:

pants down below boxers

Oh heavens no.

But seriously the vaping has been a real issue, most employees are getting paid below minimum wage and could simply care less. Never seen people vape on the actual rides till this year. Someone was vaping down the drop of Superman...

On 8/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, disownedpear said:

Oh heavens no.

But seriously the vaping has been a real issue, most employees are getting paid below minimum wage and could simply care less. Never seen people vape on the actual rides till this year. Someone was vaping down the drop of Superman...

Heavens yes. What is funny is that so many guys wear the the boxers that Amazon lists as the "best seller".  It's like, I have those!"

• Haha 1

^ not really sure. . . the Federal minimum wage is only $7.25 an hour - so a lot of States have that (such as Texas).

but in Maryland (where SFA is), the Minimum Wage is $11.75 as of January. . .

so it's not as great as the states that are $12 and up to $15 - but it's better than many other States.

^ that IS still better than many States that pay less.   (the story is from 7 years ago, but I guess that exemption is still in place if the standard employee at SFA makes $9/50)

(tho it does appear that the Texas SF parks seem to average ~$12 an hour, well over minimum wage - for standard ride op/service employees)

8 hours ago, disownedpear said:

The state's that pay less often have a lower cost of living though, a lot of SFA's workers are from DC which has the 3rd highest cost of living in the country. It's not right, and the states that pay less aren't right either. 

Completely agree. What a way to treat the people who create your company's value. It's not like the cost of living in the MD suburbs is 2/3 of what it is in DC, either.

• Like 1