TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Way O/T but concerning turkey legs. Can the industry please find some other food fad? They had their run. But, I rarely see people eating those things anymore, at fairs, carnivals , and even the parks. Gawd those things are an abomination. Went to the State fair and Strawberry Fest here in Fla and while I saw piles upon piles of turkey legs, nary a soul was indulging. (end rant)

Apologies on what I said earlier on Pokemon Go

It was rather crude. Evidently, a lot of people like the game and I get that. And yes, I would I agree that we all have our hobbies.

If anything, I shouldn't be one to talk considering how much time I've "wasted" shooting zombies on a screen. At least with P:go there's exercise and getting out and about etc.

---

But anyways, on the topic of the Firebird conversion, I can't help but to rejoice any time a stand-up gets converted. It seems I am one of the few that actually likes Rougarou a lot. Don't find really find it that rough. Granted, I am tall enough avoid most headbanging.

However, FB was originally a 1990 B&M as Iron Wolf, and I've heard bad things about Vortex at Carowinds (1992), as well as then-Vortex at CGA (1991).

How does now-Patriot at CGA fare?

The layout obviously is quite short and uneventful but it is it a comfortable ride at least?

How does now-Patriot at CGA fare?

The layout obviously is quite short and uneventful but it is it a comfortable ride at least?

Yes, it is comfortable. It rides like your typical B&M Floorless. It's not rough by any means, but like you said, the layout just isn't that good.

I would personally have rather seen these small B&M Stand-Ups removed and replaced with something new and better, but I also appreciate parks trying to breed new life into their classic coasters. It is what it is, and they are certainly better than their stand-up counterparts IMO.

You don't have to PLAY Fortnite to even enjoy the idea. Imagine a Fortnite themed restaurant called "Moisty Mire Cafe"

I love how you felt the need to tell me that name is associated with Fortnite. So you know it's not as big a deal as you're pretending it is. No one has to say "A lovable high-jumping, mushroom-eating plumber character called Mario" because everyone knows Mario. He's the most recognized character across all media.

The Pokemon Go stuff is apropos here. It was a flash in the pan too. I played it a lot for a while, still do occasionally if I'm taking a walk anyway, but I don't go out of my way for it anymore, just don't care that much. Theme parks had a quick cash in and done.

Angry Birds is possibly the only mobile game with staying power. It's been around a while with constant iterations and seems to still be relevant.

The main problem with free to play games is that the developers are incentivized to make them less fun unless you pay up. If the game is really fun as is, people will play for free, so you put all the fun stuff behind paywalls. This has the effect of preventing the sort of connection to that game that you see with full priced games, where the developers have to convince someone there's enough fun content to be worth paying for.

If theme parks are going to cash in on video games, they're going to be leveraging people's emotional connection to the game. Don't confuse microtransactions for emotional connection.

I know I have talked about this before but any chance we finally see new attractions added that aren’t relocated from other parks in a a dry expansion of the park instead of expanding the water park? New roller coasters, and new thrill rides. I know SFA is a small park but perhaps if they bought more land which is highly unlikely I know we can see some new characters introduced. I would like to see a flash roller coaster. More looney tunes attractions too.

I mean, we’ve gotten two new ground up thrill rides in the past few years, so we could probably expect some modestly sized thrilling flats over the next decade or so.

As far as a ground up coaster: I’d say it could happen, but don’t get your hopes up.

Also, glad to see progress on Firebird. I honestly was expecting that they would only have installed a new sign and ripped out some theming, and open the ride in June, so this is a pleasant surprise!

Yes, there is a boat load of land. They own all of the wooded areas around the park.

A lot of the wooded areas can't be used or developed due to environmental laws. That's why a Fortnite based VR attraction would be great! Compact and doesn't need much land development, but would be entertaining!

Six Flags have already tested VR on coasters, a full VR attraction is next logical step!

Yes, there is a boat load of land. They own all of the wooded areas around the park.

A lot of the wooded areas can't be used or developed due to environmental laws. That's why a Fortnite based VR attraction would be great! Compact and doesn't need much land development, but would be entertaining!

Six Flags have already tested VR on coasters, a full VR attraction is next logical step!

dude.

just give it up. . Fortnite isn't gonna happen.

dude.

Shhh...the more we talk about it, the longer we draw it out

The forest east of Six Flags is owned by the State of Maryland Department of Natural Resources because it is partly old growth forest. It is not even open to public access due to rare species.

The attached image shows the land that Six Flags America owns (the areas within the yellow lines). According to Six Flags' filings with the SEC, SFA owns 515 acres with 300 remaining developable acres. With regards to total acres, SFA has the second most total acres of all Six Flags parks behind SFGAdv (2200 acres) and ahead of Great Escape (345 acres). With regards to remaining developable acres, SFA and SFGAdv (456 developable acres) are the only two Six Flags owned properties with >50 remaining developable acres (again, all according to Six Flags' SEC filings).

With regards to usage of remaining land, Six Flags America has strict regulations to noise levels at their property line. As such, unless they are building a show building or something else that would result in no sound increases, they cannot build to their borders and need to be cautious about putting rides that do cause a lot of noise (like coasters, especially launched coasters) too close to the property lines.

Additionally, SFA has a lot of protected wetlands that go right through the center of the property. While it's not impossible to cross or go around these areas, they do present challenges.

The best option (in my opinion) is the land to the south and west in the property (about where the blue placer is on the below map). But connecting this to the rest of the park would be challenging. It would be an ideal place for a separate gate water park (allowing them to incorporate the area of the current water park into the main park) or for some other separate gate attraction (like a shopping area or up-charge park) but I doubt that attendance at SFA is sufficient to justify such an addition.

28619548_10156115593369854_7856425908872723892_o.thumb.jpg.5287a079c65be612caa98cefa2baff33.jpg

dude.

Shhh...the more we talk about it, the longer we draw it out

Which happens first? We forget Fortnight or we get that path from the back of CC to Batman.