TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Here's the press release...

https://www.sixflags.com/america/newsroom/apocalypse-ends-six-flags-america

THE APOCALYPSE ENDS AT SIX FLAGS AMERICA

UPPER MARLBORO, MD — August 16, 2018 — Six Flags America, DC’s Thrill Capital, today announced that its stand-up coaster, Apocalypse: The Last Stand will close forever on Saturday, September 8, 2018.

Apocalypse has reigned as the only stand-up roller coaster in Maryland and since its 2012 debut, has given more than 1.6 million rides. Set among thematic elements that included a plane crash, fiery explosions and macabre zombies, the coaster features two high-speed inversions and numerous twists, turns and drops.

“Our wheels are always turning when it comes to new and innovative thrills and attractions to bring to the park,” says Park President Rick Howarth. “The end is near but saying good-bye to Apocalypse will allow us to bring an all-new thrilling experience to our guests in 2019.”

Guests will be able to say their final farewells to Apocalypse on September 8 with special ride times offered to Gold Plus, Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Elite Members and members of American Coaster Enthusiasts.

This line - “Our wheels are always turning when it comes to new and innovative thrills and attractions to bring to the park,” says Park President Rick Howarth

Where are these new innovative thrills and attractions in this park? That is the part that sticks out to me the most.

I know six flags likes to be cheap, but this is not a good idea. The layout already sucks, so just adding floorless trains will make it slightly average. I bet you that you will still bang your head after the corkscrew. The GP aren’t stupid and I do think it will be mixed feelings when they find out it’s not actually a new ride, but happy there is no more standing.

Also, if they’re gonna add floorless change, they will have to retheme it if they are saying it’s a new ride. The area that it’s in (Chesapeake) is a very vague theme, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this is some random theme, like Firebird.

Overall, a rmc raptor would be a great choice in its spot and I hope that happens instead.

https://www.sixflags.com/america/newsroom/apocalypse-ends-six-flags-america

THE APOCALYPSE ENDS AT SIX FLAGS AMERICA

UPPER MARLBORO, MD — August 16, 2018 — Six Flags America, DC’s Thrill Capital, today announced that its stand-up coaster, Apocalypse: The Last Stand will close forever on Saturday, September 8, 2018.

Apocalypse has reigned as the only stand-up roller coaster in Maryland and since its 2012 debut, has given more than 1.6 million rides. Set among thematic elements that included a plane crash, fiery explosions and macabre zombies, the coaster features two high-speed inversions and numerous twists, turns and drops.

“Our wheels are always turning when it comes to new and innovative thrills and attractions to bring to the park,” says Park President Rick Howarth. “The end is near but saying good-bye to Apocalypse will allow us to bring an all-new thrilling experience to our guests in 2019.”

Guests will be able to say their final farewells to Apocalypse on September 8 with special ride times offered to Gold Plus, Platinum, Diamond and Diamond Elite Members and members of American Coaster Enthusiasts.

I actually shot some footage on it when we were there a couple of weeks ago. While I never found the ride as bad as most people make it out to be, it's also not "good." The view from the top of the lift, however is actually the best part of the ride! So many coasters in this one shot!

apocalypse.thumb.jpg.927a557707ebe8e5c8b45488a48f4e7f.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

My bold prediction: its not getting floorless trains, its just getting scrapped.

I'm with you on this one.

I don't feel like the floorless conversion will be "worth it." I'm still hoping they demolish that POS and put in an RMC Raptor or similar. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it's was simply being demolished for good, why would they close it well before the season ends? I personally don't really see the merit of spending a ton of cash for new trains, but closing it in Sept seems suspicious

They plan on using the space for a new attraction?

(I'm not on a the Raptor train, but maybe a flat or something?)

I do hope they don’t just completely scrap the ride for good, simply as it’s B&M’s first coaster (not that anyone besides coaster enthusiasts would care about that at all), though if the do scrap it that won’t be the end of the world.

I do hope they don’t just completely scrap the ride for good, simply as it’s B&M’s first coaster (not that anyone besides coaster enthusiasts would care about that at all), though if the do scrap it that won’t be the end of the world.

That was B&M's first coaster?? Well, that explains the

My how far they have come since then.

"Not that anyone besides coaster enthusiasts would care" pretty much sums up exactly why if it does get scrapped for good, no one will really miss it.

I mean, just being honest here, it was never a "great" ride to begin with. It's not like when Universal ripped out Dueling Dragons and you're all "WTF ARE YOU DOING THAT RIDE IS FANTASTIC!!!" this is a ride that most people will skip because, well... it's "Iron Wolf."

I sure won't miss it and I'm willing to bet most "coaster enthusiasts" wouldn't either.

I remember getting off the ride on a recent trip and hearing a local say “we just rode the worst ride in the park”. I think it says a lot when the locals hate it over rides like Mind Eraser and Roar. I’m not so sure converting it to a floorless train would help. I say take it down and put a package of flat rides.

That was B&M's first coaster?? Well, that explains the

My how far they have come since then.

I am old enough (and lucky enough I guess) to have ridden it its first year at SFGAm, and it was not rough at all when it first opened. It was awful by the time it left in 2011.

I am old enough (and lucky enough I guess) to have ridden it its first year at SFGAm, and it was not rough at all when it first opened. It was awful by the time it left in 2011.

While I didn't ride it opening year I did ride it in June of 1992 and it was plenty rough by then. I sometimes wonder if we just "remember" things differently over the years. I mean, in 1990 when it opened, while I'm sure it may have been smoother than it is now, I highly doubt it was butter smooth and also probably MUCH smoother than other rides in the park like Shockwave. And then as the years go on, you ride other coasters that are even smoother and what once seemed pretty smooth to you years ago, now seems much rougher based on what you're used to.

Sorry if this was already posted. Received this in an email from SFA a few minutes ago.

Biggest Announcement, Biggest Sale of the Year on August 30

Mark your calendar -- Thursday, August​ 30 is going to be the biggest, most important day of your year! That is when Six Flags America is going to announce an incredible, UNBELIEVABLE new attraction for the 2019 season.

To celebrate, we'll also be hosting the Labor Day Flash Sale -- our biggest, best sale of the year on 2019 Season Passes, Memberships, and Season Dining Passes. We will never have a bigger sale on 2019 Passes!

"Not that anyone besides coaster enthusiasts would care" pretty much sums up exactly why if it does get scrapped for good, no one will really miss it.

I mean, just being honest here, it was never a "great" ride to begin with. It's not like when Universal ripped out Dueling Dragons and you're all "WTF ARE YOU DOING THAT RIDE IS FANTASTIC!!!" this is a ride that most people will skip because, well... it's "Iron Wolf."

I sure won't miss it and I'm willing to bet most "coaster enthusiasts" wouldn't either.

I didn't even bother getting on it when we were there a couple of weeks ago. it's the one (operating) coaster at SFA that I didn't go on.

as I mentioned the other day: I had ridden Georgia Scorcher a week earlier and was super pleasantly surprised by how smooth that was -- so didn't feel the need to get on something I had heard was absolutely awful. It's going away, and I missed my one chance to ride it? I'm OK with that