TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

In case anyone is interested, I recorded the 2:00 stunt show in the arena (the spring show times are 2, 4:30 and 6).

Decent show . . . not as good as last year's show in my opinion.

Crew didn't introduce themselves at the end . . . . but hey, got to like the new lady in the cast

Would you guys say this site accurately represents SFA's crowds:

http://www.isitpacked.com/2014/01/05/six-flags-america-crowds/

I would say that’s very accurate. Even during the summer months, wait times on the dry side of the park should be less than 20 mins for the Gotham city coasters (with the exception of batwing due to operations) and 10 mins for everything else. I don’t know if it’s me, but fright fest doesn’t get as crowded as it used to be, not complaining though. Maybe they should add something new or make it actually scary lol.

I Visited this park yesterday for about 4 hours and I was pleasantly surprised. Originally I planned on only spending a couple hours in order to get down to Kings Dominion for the last 2 hours of their day, but I found myself having such a good time at SFA, I said Kings Dominion can wait.

The first ride I hit was Roar and I thought it was just too rough. Only rode it the 1 time because I didn't feel like getting a headache. Below average coaster, not enjoyable at all.

The second ride was Wild One, and I liked it. It looked really rough just watching it navigate the track, but not when riding it. It wasn't exactly smooth, but I wouldn't say it was rough either. That helix was awesome, especially in the front row. I rode this 6 or 7 times, I lost count.

Next is Superman Ride of Steel, and I really liked this. I had never seen a POV for this so not knowing what to expect was really cool, and the fact that the layout is so unique just added to how cool this ride is. Those helices (yes I had to look up the plural form of helix) are very forceful and the airtime hills give really good airtime. Plus it felt like a really long ride. It's not the smoothest hyper I've been on, but it's not rough at all either, but that is why I would rank it below Nitro and Diamondback. It's still an above average coaster IMO. Rode this countless times.

Then I headed over to Batwing, which I just rode in order to compare it to Firehawk at Kings Island. I'm not a huge fan of flying coasters and aside from being a little rougher in the back, it's exactly the same as Firehawk. 1 or 2 forceful moments but any enjoyment of the ride was drowned out by screaming teenage girls.

Jokers Jinx was next and I liked it. Obviously I have to compare it to flight of fear, and I think it is a lot better. For one it's outdoors, and secondly but most important is that it doesn't stop the train on the mid course brake run.

I was talked into riding Ragin Cajun and I'm glad I rode it. The second half of that coaster is somewhat intense with the spinning and turning.

I also went on the Wonder Woman tall swing thing, and it was a nice enjoyable ride.

I did not ride their stand up coaster because my nuts had already been squished that day, and I did not ride the SLC because I don't ride SLC's. I take everyone's word for it that they suck.

I will also say that the employees were very friendly even if their operations were so slow. I didn't think it could get any worse than Great Adventure, but I was wrong. Some of the employees didn't even know each others names. Yes it's early in the season, but I would assume there's some kind of training period and it wasn't the first time they met each other.

But overall it was fun, more fun than I was anticipating.

Would you guys say this site accurately represents SFA's crowds:

I guess it's okay, but I always thought this was a better crowd calendar for the dry park at SFA since it's a little more up to date.

Link

The first ride I hit was Roar and I thought it was just too rough. Only rode it the 1 time because I didn't feel like getting a headache. Below average coaster, not enjoyable at all.

It's weird, because when I rode Roar in December during HitP, I thought it was riding amazingly well. It was so much fun! Maybe it was running a tad slower due to the freezing temps, and that made it fun, or maybe it was something else. But I rode it again last Thursday, and I had the same experience as you. It was really quite rough.

and I did not ride the SLC because I don't ride SLC's. I take everyone's word for it that they suck.

I dunno, it's not that bad. I always ride it once when I go, and I don't regret it.

Glad you enjoyed the park though! You can have a great time, if you set your expectations appropriately.

^ I think their Mind Eraser is tied with Canada's Wonderland's for the worst SLC I've ever been on. Unless they add vest restraints or perform a Morey's level retracking, I don't see myself riding it again.

The second ride was Wild One, and I liked it. It looked really rough just watching it navigate the track, but not when riding it. It wasn't exactly smooth, but I wouldn't say it was rough either. That helix was awesome, especially in the front row. I rode this 6 or 7 times, I lost count.

I wish that coaster were still at Paragon. But I'm glad it sounds like the park has maintained it pretty well. It was my most ridden coaster by far at that park when I visited (Superman was down).

Jokers Jinx was next and I liked it. Obviously I have to compare it to flight of fear, and I think it is a lot better. For one it's outdoors, and secondly but most important is that it doesn't stop the train on the mid course brake run.

I would have thought I'd prefer the indoor Flight of Fear coasters, but I prefer Joker's Jinx and Poltergeist solely because of how there's no stoppage at the mid-course break run. Instead of crawling through the second half, you are absolutely hauling.

^ I think their Mind Eraser is tied with Canada's Wonderland's for the worst SLC I've ever been on. Unless they add vest restraints or perform a Morey's level retracking, I don't see myself riding it again.

I take it you haven't ridden T3? The other SLCs I dislike (all but Great Nor'Easter) are about the same to me in their badness--some are surely even rougher than others, but I don't keep track. Those restraints absolutely kill T3.

^^ I actually have ridden T3 with the new restraints and thought it was ok. The ride was among the worst of SLCs with regards to how it tracked, but the restraints did remove all headbanging.

Most people don't seem to share my opinion that it's enjoyable though.

I often enjoy Mind Eraser, but only recommend it if you're there with a hat and/or hood for protection (or helmet). That is the time.

Generally, the best approach to eliminate head banging is to literally pull yourself forward and hold your head in front of the restraints. The movement is mostly side to side, so if there's nothing to bang onto, there's no real problem.

For me, the issue with the headbangers is just the antiquated designs that hurt the whole body and make the ride unpleasant. B&M, RMC, and other new age smooth coasters aren't just superior because of the superior restraints, but its mostly because the transitions and the contraction are far superior. B&M loopers generally have hard OTSR's that would cause head banging, but the rides are smooth enough that it prevents it. Even if a coaster like the Great American Scream Machine (SFGadv) or the original Steel Phantom had lapbars, you would still feel the jerkiness of the ride and the uncomfortableness of the transitions.

It's weird, because when I rode Roar in December during HitP, I thought it was riding amazingly well. It was so much fun! Maybe it was running a tad slower due to the freezing temps, and that made it fun, or maybe it was something else. But I rode it again last Thursday, and I had the same experience as you. It was really quite rough.

I had that same experience with Thunderhead at Dollywoood. One day it was pretty darn smooth and then the next it was rough as hell.

and I did not ride the SLC because I don't ride SLC's. I take everyone's word for it that they suck.

I dunno, it's not that bad. I always ride it once when I go, and I don't regret it.

I might ride the one at Michigan's Adventure. I hear that one is one of the better SLC's.

Glad you enjoyed the park though! You can have a great time, if you set your expectations appropriately.

Yep, absolutely. I wouldn't mind at all if that were my home park.

There's no such thing as a good SLC.

Great Nor'Easter is outstanding now. I'm also a big fan of Mind Eraser (or whatever) at SFNE with these new trains. Thunderhawk at Michigan's Adventure is solid too.

All the other ones I've ridden have been pure sh*t.

Being off from from school and still rehabbing my nasty knee (June dislocation with multiple fractures...) injury we headed in last Friday about 1045 with a unique approach.

First coaster ride since our SFGE, SFNE, LC, Quassy, SFGAd loop... APOCALYPSE. Yes, bee line to the standing coaster, know the trick to not squish my nuts, first row, empty train, slow, know the layout and could brace my head, no pressure on the injury. Hoo-ray. Not the best, but 10 months not on a coaster- it was great. People in the ques so reride in the second row. Reride on APOCALYPSE! You know when people there is no such thing as bad pizza, you still had pizza. The extra people onboard must have increased the speed, couldn't prevent the head banging even on a slow ride. There is bad pizza.

Since I couldn't get into WWLOT last year I could finally got to ride. The wind was kicking enough to make it good. Couldn't pick out the Washington Monument. Good addition but doesn't hold a candle to SFNE.

Big kid met up with friends and hit Superman. Reported the same old with reride opportunities. Met up with the family and rerode WWLOT with no line.

Riddler- which seems to be missing parts, paint, and making noises.

Food service continues to be a disaster. Lengthy wait, orders wrong, and credit machines down and not telling people. Saw a guy have a meltdown as he finally got to wait and pay his $87 tab to be told, "We can't take credit cards." He informed them accurately that they needed to get their S*** together and that they SU****!

Hopped on VooDoo drop with no wait. Still a decent quick ride. Ragin Cajin with the bar not on the legs- with just the big kid and myself it is the ideal spin rate. I don't know what they did to that coaster last year but that thing packs some punch anymore.

BIG BLACK clouds started rolling in. We hopped in the Fliers hoping to catch a good wind burst.

Extra theming for Mardis Gras. A band was setting up. They were giving our beads. New temporary New Orleans food stalls set up. Snagged some raspberry beignets as my snack and headed out. Cold Stones is now a coffee and ice cream place. Home by 230 and it started raining.

Gator and Mardis Gras dancers were at the entrance for pictures. I can see the Mardi Gras thing in spring being a keeper especially with the extra food booths. Figure MG in spring, summer day, FF, HITP: four trips=value. Discover card / gold pass entry lanes are now signed as "membership".

I don't know you can send people flying through the air numerous times quicker than putting a semi-thawed frozen burger patty already "cooked" and dumped in bucket onto a bun. Seriously a pie chart of my time in the park was mostly waiting for a burger. I might be tempted to hit Chop Six next time.