TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I had this crazy thought the other day and its silly but I wanted to share it anyway...

So the park was releasing all of these grim reaper videos about what is leaving the park then 'stun' us all and release they are updating the lazy river.

What if they are secretly making another change in the park and using the lazy river to throw us all off?

I know this sounds completely bonkers but we can all dream right?! lol

Bonkers. But, that is what dreams are for. New trains for ME will appease the dry park people. I think the reaction here to the Lazy River update of disappointment followed by quick admittance that it probably makes sense is good sign. If they continue to make sound logical choices it will be hard to complain.

Yes, new trains on ME would be awesome! I love SLC's but the trains can be rough. Since they already have new trains on the one at New England maybe they will eventually put them on ours and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's (worst SLC I've ridden) too.

We bounced in to redeem our gold pass upgrades on Saturday. The oldest met up with friends and their family. I wanted to see how the younger daughter reacted to FF. My knee/leg is still mending. I rode the teacups, but it was great to hear the sounds of a lift hill again. Overall it was pretty crowded by nightfall. With the warmer weather the yellow jackets were in full effect and threat of getting stung was scarier than anything else.

+ Redeeming the passes was quick and easy. It was like the early season WO crew.

- I wanted to clothesline those screaming/running/pushing when they encountered bugs or a costumed character

I hope the permit filed earlier in rumor season to pour piers in the arena were to move the stage closer. I couldn't see any concrete work done.

20171021_184624.thumb.jpg.2813e4bd428f5c4c187778fc7a79ddb0.jpg

Red fountain water was a nice touch

20171021_183900.thumb.jpg.2fb7e648b169519155362015e533e16d.jpg

Mostly the same decorations around as last year.

20171021_175246.jpg.746f31168c8eb439e2c8cbb823438192.jpg

Stunt show remains underrated.

20171021_172833.thumb.jpg.d77271c69716cf03c7636ab6e26ec530.jpg

Tried ordering the fruit salad instead of fries, they were out. Guy in front of me was Asian and there were language issues. He had scanned his 2018 pass to get in and then tried to use his 2017 card with dining which got kicked out by the register. Painful. Guy in front of him ordered the Lasso Burger and was just in awe how sad it was. My burger literally had lettuce. Singular.

728639279_20171021_175030(1).thumb.jpg.49b917cd506aaa6ff6ba2115a6aed811.jpg

Moving Awakening into the arena is an awesome idea. 3,000 people as opposed to cramming a couple hundred around the little stage behind Chop Stix is a no brainer. However, it was too far away and the sound quality was too poor to decipher the story.

Screenshot_20171022-193915.thumb.jpg.c0a4fc94be3325d31ecb625e6d39c7f5.jpg

VIP seating just compounds a bad situation

20171021_181413.thumb.jpg.a0b21391220fa9c496ec0d226cf4ff98.jpg

At one point I counted 50 staff / security in the arena. These three perched up over the sound booth made me think six flags actually had some forethought here.

Thanks Coasterlover. The info on and pictures of the old land is rather rare.

If they really wanted to charge for a FF VIP thing it would be midnight flashlight tour around the old house followed by a spin on WO, ya know, to tempt the spirits. Could you imagine doing a lap around the house and then getting stuck on the ride?

Hmmm . . . . midnight tour around Hall Manor (with a story to boot) and WO. Heck yeah, I'd give it a go (would you?)

If they really wanted to charge for a FF VIP thing it would be midnight flashlight tour around the old house...

I won't say "never", but the house is in REALLY bad shape... I'm PRETTY sure that the park has actually received permission to bulldoze/clear the property, but for whatever reason hasn't yet (possibly due to cost, possibly because they have no reason to [no plans to build in that area], possibly because the "ruins" make good backdrop for the Hall Manor trail.

We bounced in to redeem our gold pass upgrades on Saturday. The oldest met up with friends and their family. I wanted to see how the younger daughter reacted to FF. My knee/leg is still mending. I rode the teacups, but it was great to hear the sounds of a lift hill again. Overall it was pretty crowded by nightfall. With the warmer weather the yellow jackets were in full effect and threat of getting stung was scarier than anything else.

+ Redeeming the passes was quick and easy. It was like the early season WO crew.

- I wanted to clothesline those screaming/running/pushing when they encountered bugs or a costumed character

I hope the permit filed earlier in rumor season to pour piers in the arena were to move the stage closer. I couldn't see any concrete work done.

Great report! I wish I could get into the spirit of FF at any SF park, its just not scary and the general public ruin it as you mentioned above. However, I will definitely always go for night rides on the coasters, especially Superman.

I thought it was neat they were running Wonder Woman backwards.

If they really wanted to charge for a FF VIP thing it would be midnight flashlight tour around the old house...

I won't say "never", but the house is in REALLY bad shape... I'm PRETTY sure that the park has actually received permission to bulldoze/clear the property, but for whatever reason hasn't yet (possibly due to cost, possibly because they have no reason to [no plans to build in that area], possibly because the "ruins" make good backdrop for the Hall Manor trail.

Can't bulldoze. It's protected state property.

Can't bulldoze. It's protected state property.

I was not aware of that . . .

And so far, I've found not much knowledge about Hall Manor . . . . maybe Eleanor is the only one who knows it's secrets

Ok this is all new to me. Where exactly is this historical house on the SF property?

Long time ago . . . . the Hall family had their estate on what eventually became Six Flags America.

The daughter, Eleanor died at the age of 5 and her ghost is said to haunt SFA to this day. And over the years, the Hall Manor has really fallen apart.

As to why Hall Manor is protected by the State of Maryland, I do not know.

http://www.landscope.org/map/#minLong=-76.82041&maxLong=-76.7266&minLat=38.89707&maxLat=38.92332&level=14&baseMap=satellite&themes=Custom&title=MD%20-%20Conservation%20Lands&drawingID=0&layers=102c0366851e4d4c9c6c604ba724c03d-20-1

This map shows the land east as DNR owned land. I do not see anything listed where the house is. It is not on an historic registry. I don't see anything about the Six Flags land being protected.

Ok this is all new to me. Where exactly is this historical house on the SF property?

It's north of Wild One's lift hill & helix-you can even see it on Google sky-view maps.

As far as the house's historic status,from what I've heard (not from the Dippin Dots Guy)is that NOTHING can be done to it:it cannot be renovated(like if it had landmark status;I think the Wildlife Preserve/Wild World people actually wanted to use the building-but that's another story) and it cannot be torn down-it has to rot away under it's own power.

https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?mapId=7ad17cc9-b808-4ff8-a2f9-a99909164466

Nothing on the Historic Registry. What would be its designation?

I am working on another project that has me talking to the historic society in Anne Arundel County. I'll try to remember to ask them if they know.

Did the Dippin Dots guy know the Lazy River was being upgraded?

• 2 weeks later...

Nevermind. A little more digging turned this up:

Holiday in the Park also features more than two dozen thrilling rides such as the Flying Carousel, Voo Doo Drop, the Cyclone, Carousel and Tea Cups. Children can enjoy pint-sized thrills in Looney Tunes Movie Town. Coaster fans can challenge world-class rides like the Wild One, ROAR, Mind Eraser, Apocalypse and Ragin Cajun, weather permitting.

I would be down for a few marathon rides on Wild One and Roar. I have yet to ride Apocalypse or Ragin Cajun.....Not in too crazy of a hurry for those credits though. SFA despite being close to me is a park I have only visited once in 2008 (I used to live in the no-coaster no-mans land that is Southwest Virginia). Looking forward to a return trip in the coming years. Bummer the only coasters added were a B&M Stand-up and old school zamperla spinner.