TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

You can't blame it on opening day. Both of my visits to SFA were in the fall, both pretty nice sunny days with moderate to almost non-existent crowds, and while the operations weren't exactly abysmal, they certainly weren't anything to write home about. There was just never any sense of hustle. Its not an issue if there's no wait to begin with (if I just walked right on, who cares if I have to wait another 2-3 minutes to dispatch?) but the lax crews would certainly be an issue on a crowded day, though it seems like that never even happens here.

We usually go during Fright Fest and they still usually run one train on every coaster except Mind Eraser (yay) and Wild One. I'd imagine when you factor in normal opening day slowness, load times should really be something to marvel at.

I've heard generally positive reviews about the changes to the park over the last few years and will definitely re-visit at some point in the future. I was definitely one of the negative people about this park a while back - but that is because the TPR Trip that visited the park had a less than stellar visit. It wasn't about African American clientele or anything stupid like that. It was the fact that the employees were generally pretty rude, rides kept breaking down, nobody seemed to care about anything, etc... The PR people at the park were great and did what they could, but when the trip met at lunch, we decided we'd rather leave early and get to the next hotel than stay any longer.

As I said - I've heard that they have done a good job turning that around and I look forward to another visit in the future.

What i am trying to ask is what does the future hold for the park in the near future? On the dry side of the park not the water park(hurricane harbor). Is their any room to have an expansion to add a couple new roller coasters and thrill rides or no? SFA could use a new flume ride since skull mountain is gone/typhoon sea coaster like I was mentioning before. Where could they expand on the dry side of the park if SFA will even do this in the coming years. Like the next few years what type of progress do you think SFA will focus on the water park or dry side of the park? That is why i was saying Washington D.C could use a new theme park if SFA cannot expand anymore if their is no more room where they can buy land. K.D and BGW is too far for D.C residents to travel to...they need something in a good driving distance like at least 30 minutes or less. No talks of building a new theme park in the D.C region I guess people are sticking with Six Flags America. I am talking top of the line roller coasters...a floorless coaster, a woodie like El Toro at SFGADV, a giga coaster like Mako at SeaWorld Orlando, why can't SFA have these type of rides? Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster something really fast and high way way up.

I visited the park for the first time last summer and it was pretty bad. Maybe I was spoiled after visiting SFGAdv and SFNE beforehand, but the park was not impressive at all. Operations were atrocious (VR Superman was ), and the rides were either mediocre or complete sh** (looking at you, Apocalypse). I really have no desire to ever go back unless they had some huge new coaster.

If the park has made lots of improvement over the years, I can't imagine how I would have felt about it back then...

The park is still pretty crappy. I was pleasantly surprised when I first visited in 2014 after all the terrible reviews I had read, but when visiting this past fall? We noticed rusty holes on the front Jokers Jinx trains, black dirt stains on the restraints and headrests on multiple coasters, rusty everything, much needed paint jobs on just about everything from stations to game booths, food stands, etc. My buddy who I was with - and is a relative newby to this hobby having only been to a handful of parks (CP, Dorney, GreatAdv, Hershey) and is not on any forums or in clubs so his opinion hasn't been tainted by anyone telling him the place was bad for any reason - couldn't stop talking about how gross the place was all day. Just saying.

Just thought about the new augmented reality VR. Wonder if it is in response to the belly aching about 'coasters are not supposed to be ridden that way' (see the landscape, turns, etc). Of course, it must have been lost on them that the headsets were not mandatory...lol.. Now, if only they can do something about the loading times.

Just thought about the new augmented reality VR. Wonder if it is in response to the belly aching about 'coasters are not supposed to be ridden that way' (see the landscape, turns, etc). Of course, it must have been lost on them that the headsets were not mandatory...lol.. Now, if only they can do something about the loading times.

I don't think they will be that bad considering Mind Eraser never has a line. But maybe they could do VR train and a non-VR trains considering they have two trains.

Mind Eraser getting VR now. Worlds first mixed reality coaster. LOL, yeah right. Looking forward to giving it a go though. Also looking forward to Superman's line actually moving again. Remember, sit in the first two rows, or your ears will be boxed.

http://iondc.com/pdf/SFA17_ACE_CoasterTour.pdf

Sure . . what the hell, I'll give VR Mind Eraser a go.

And I've sat in rows other than the first two on Superman (and yeah, the line actually moving will be a plus, I wonder what the hours for VR on that will be?) and never had issues with my ears afterwards.

I am talking top of the line roller coasters...a floorless coaster, a woodie like El Toro at SFGADV, a giga coaster like Mako at SeaWorld Orlando, why can't SFA have these type of rides? Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster something really fast and high way way up.

Those days seem to be long gone for Six Flags in general at this point. Hope it changes but no park has added anything like that in a really long time. Unless I'm forgetting something the last hypercoaster added was Goliath at SFOG. That was 2006 and cost 20 million. Not sure what Mako cost but it's also a 200ft. hyper and nothing like that has gone in.

I am talking top of the line roller coasters...a floorless coaster, a woodie like El Toro at SFGADV, a giga coaster like Mako at SeaWorld Orlando, why can't SFA have these type of rides? Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster something really fast and high way way up.

Those days seem to be long gone for Six Flags in general at this point. Hope it changes but no park has added anything like that in a really long time. Unless I'm forgetting something the last hypercoaster added was Goliath at SFOG. That was 2006 and cost 20 million. Not sure what Mako cost but it's also a 200ft. hyper and nothing like that has gone in.

I always laugh when people make these comments. The free spending days where SF would build big coasters and multiple "pricey" coasters in a yr, is long gone. The 2000's are a fond memory, when they would add Tatsu, El Toro, Goliath(OG), Goliath(LR) all in the same year. That's what got them into bankruptcy, going overboard. They have gone overboard in the opposite direction however. The only concern appears to be EBIDTA and the massive bonuses they have linked to the EBIDTA targets. The conference call made it crystal clear the current low end structure is being doubles down on and capital expenditures as % of revenue will likely be reduced. It' already impossible to build big coasters with a 75M ride expenditure and give all parks something new. The only saving grace may be that several companies are clearly focusing on developing low cost coasters like S&S, Skyline, Mack, etc..

From Screamscape:

2018- Launched Coaster - Rumor - (3/14/17) So what does 2018 have in store for Six Flags America? Unfortunately as the park is slowly getting a reputation for getting a lot of "hand me down" rides from other Six Flags parks, our rumor lies along those lines. In this case, our source tells us that a current whisper going around is that the park may be planning to receive a launched coaster to be removed from one of the other Six Flags parks for 2018.

The interesting thing is that back in January, we had also heard a rumor that Six Flags Great America may be considering retiring their own V2: Vertical Velocity (Intamin Impulse) coaster and that it would be sent off to another Six Flags park if they opt to close it down early in the later half of this season.

Just something to think about, but in the meantime, if anyone spots any unusual survey markings around Six Flags America when it opens for the season, please do report them in to us.

Wonder Woman this year and an Intamin Impulse next year? While not a Fury 330 it is two more rides for us. Add it in back in Gotham and open that up for FF and HitP. VR on Mind Eraser and change the cars so your googles or ears don't get knocked off... give away a hot dog for riding Apocalypse... just keep falling forward.

Imo, I'd be pretty pissed if we got V2. First, it would be the 3rd coaster from Great America. Secondly, the layout on Intamin Impulse coasters is so uninspiring. It has nothing going for it. It's literally a series of five or so launches up a vertical spike. I pray that, if it is indeed a launch coaster, it is Zaturn or Kanonen.

Imo, I'd be pretty pissed if we got V2. First, it would be the 3rd coaster from Great America. Secondly, the layout on Intamin Impulse coasters is so uninspiring. It has nothing going for it. It's literally a series of five or so launches up a vertical spike. I pray that, if it is indeed a launch coaster, it is Zaturn or Kanonen.

You display the attitude of an entitled and ungrateful enthusiast.

If they do end up getting V2 from SFGAm, my only hope is that they fix whatever issue caused them to turn off the holding brake on the one tower. It's a small thing, but those couple seconds of being held up there make a difference.

I think an Intamin impulse would be great for this park. They are great rides. Its something with a small footprint, a nice thrill, some good forces, and I think it would be a hit w/ the locals. Who cares if its a hand-me-down from another SF park? Only entitled enthusiasts, that's who.

I think an Intamin impulse would be great for this park. They are great rides. Its something with a small footprint, a nice thrill, some good forces, and I think it would be a hit w/ the locals. Who cares if its a hand-me-down from another SF park? Only entitled enthusiasts, that's who.

Yes, it'll be a hit with everyone. Though Tempesto is a little different, the line is normally massive for that ride. Wonder where they will put it IF they bring it here? Gotham is best choice. Everywhere else is cramped. Other than Gotham, maybe use Sky Escaper's old location, but would have to move a couple of things.

Note that one hand me down, Ragin Freaking Cajin, has the longest line in the park most days. Even had to put a misting system in to keep people cool...lol

^ Well RC is a nice looking family ride in a nice new(er) section of the park. Shouldn't be a surprise that it does well.

Even had to put a misting system in to keep people cool...lol

God forbid this park plant a tree or two.

The impulse could virtually go anywhere, they really have a super thin and no-too-long footprint. Gotham would seem obvious but there are a bunch of places they could put it due to its size/layout. I'm stoked for them to get this. It wouldn't necessarily get me back down there on its own, but I'd love to have it to ride if I were to visit SFA again at some point.

edit: and YES please fix the holding brake. One of the best parts of Possessed.

The size of the footprint is a little misleading. I think it'll need more space than we think. The ride itself, ride queues, etc. There are some compact areas outside of Gotham. Well, unless they squeeze it in a corner somewhere.

Hey, I've spotted a tree at SFA before. If it's still there, I'll report back on Apr. 1.