TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I can appreciate the 3D aspect of Google maps but overall I'm not a fan because when you view it from above it makes the image look like crap. I'd rather just use Lite mode. This sometimes gives you more up-to-date imagery too.

Oh I like that so much better! How do you switch it to lite mode?

Unfortunately you need to follow that specific link. They make it inconvenient to use.

The 3D thing is really cool, but the normal aerial view looks distorted because of it if you don't use Lite Mode. Lite Mode also has more up to date imagery for some places.

I'm glad midnight hours are back for FF. LOL, at July 22nds closing time.

Coastering late at night and cool September/October weather . . . . oh yeah (better than getting scorched in July/August)

edit: Hopefully they'll extend Fright Fest to Halloween Night

Hello all. This is Misterbrow derived from Meister Brau… long story. I found my way here looking for Wonder Woman updates, and so thanks for those. I am a regular reader of Coaster Buzz, Screamscape, and wdwmagic. Six Flags America is our home park as it is less than 15 miles from our door. We moved down here in 2000, but only visited every few years because of experiences that reinforced the negative reputation that still crops up. Being from NY and comparing the size to SF Great Adventure also did not help.

However, my kids finally got over that 48” goal and we graduated from Dutch Wonderland a couple years ago and we could start to enjoy Hershey Park and then gave SFA another shot. The metal detectors at the front gate were at first a turn off but they seem to be effective. And now, sadly, just a part of life. The rethemed Mardi Gras area worked well as an intermediate area (while the music is redundant I like Trombone Shorty), the little one liked the kid areas, and the older one could ride Superman.

So after that we grabbed Gold Passes during a flash sale and went a few more times before our actual passes started the following year. We are close enough to eat lunch and ride a few rides and, since parking is already taken care of, we can head in without cost and be back for dinner. Adding HitP and FF we assured ourselves of three visits plus BAF it is a great deal. I even grabbed the $20 all season all park photo pass which works well to text to those friends we bring in. Hit SFGAdv this year too at no cost.

Rides?

Apocalypse I will ride with no line but is not a favorite

Mind Eraser I ride to remind myself why I tend to skip it

Round up with it’s 51” helps to keep us with the 49” kid out of that area unless we want to ride...

Bumper cars. Cramped and the smell gets kicking in the summer.

? Batwing is a good ride but all the way in the boring back and in the summer I dislike being strapped in and baking

? Capital Railways and Antique cars miss some opportunities to be better

? French Quarter Flyers fit well in this area

? Prop Warehouse can be family fun, until you shoot your wife or kid in the eye. I wish loading the guns was easier.

? Renegade Rapids I skip because I don’t go that way to ride Mind Eraser and hate wet pants when I ride coasters; same for Shipwreck falls.

? Penguin’s Blizzard. The loading area is mind boggling and I swear they put the worst operators there. The ride is OK but the conveyer gets backed up and you can get soaked from the stupid sprinkler.

+ Bourbon Street Fireball is a super loop that we enjoy. The terror is reserved for hoping my zipped pockets keep my phone safe.

+ Flying Carousel basic swings but a good location for one last ride and will be a good training ride for the Lasso

+ Ragin Cajun, again fits that area, the length of the line equals the enjoyment. Walk on and reride or see a long line and be OK to bypass

+ Riddle Me This is a round up that is well placed on that walk and can be a reride when something is broken down or someone has to use the bathroom

+ Joker’s Jinx is a solid launch coaster and usually a short line

+ Superman is a good ride and worth the ride to the park. VR without sound is confusing.

+ ROAR was much better this year and really good in the cold and dark

+ Voodoo Drop at 140’ is just enough

+ Wild One is infinitely rerideable. Rocked in the dark and cold. Love trying to see the Hall house. The Skull Mt. mountain does more for WIld One than Apocalypse.

+ Zydeco Zinger can slide you around making for family fun if you are squishing a family member… or cute stranger.

In general SFA is not a destination park but if you are close or already have a Gold Pass give it a shot. You can spend a chunk of a day, head up the road catch the Bay Sox or have some crabs and be happy. The workers can be hit or miss but then again that is typical in this day and age. It is not Disney World, but, they are the gold standard in customer service. As long as operators snag line jumpers, keep people from restricted areas, get idiots off their phones on the rides, check our restraints, look for a clear platform, and seem to be aware of safety I am fine and that is the norm here. I have been approached numerous times by staff asking if I had any questions and I get a survey after every visit.

FF and HitP were hits and it seems things are moving in the right direction. I look forward to the April opening, thank everyone here, and hope to contribute.

• 2 weeks later...

^Even if it's a Saturday, you could probably get on all the coasters in just a few hours. If you only want to ride the good ones, it would only take 1-2 hours. Kings Dominion being possible in the same day would depend on what you'd want to ride. If you want to do their flat rides and awesome log flume, along with all the coasters, either one full day or two half-days would be right.

Edit: Just saw your plan for KD on the other thread, and the plan you have will work well.

Batwing is in the back of the park and I expect those who make a beeline to the back at opening are mostly going for Superman. Last time I was there early-ish (mid-afternoon) they didn't open Batwing until about 5:30 (7 PM close) and if Roar ran that day, it was before I got there, but that was maybe 7 years ago on a weekday.

I am a little confused as to why after all these years the state of maryland/D.C region has done really absolutely nothing to try fixing this park I mean for pete's sake their have been violent gangs, and a few stabbing incidents that have occured at the park over the last 2 decades. I have never visited the theme park before but defintely heard a couple of terrible events that have gone down inside this very small Six Flags Park just only about 15 minutes from our nation's capital. Big question if this is all true about SFA why is this park still open to the public come summer time and when halloween fright fest rolls around in October? I see hurricane harbor is not doing too bad but other than that should this park just give it up in terms of trying to change for tge better in the near future? Is it really located in a ghetto neighborhood of Washington D.C? I understand it's a dump....rides are breaking down constantly. Is D.C/Baltimore due for a new theme park or what? Why drive 1-2 to Doswell,VA to go to K.D or drive further to go to one of the best parks on the east coast BGW and water country usa water park?