TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I think it was a major case of "way too much way too soon".Premier Parks started out buying up small parks like Wild World/Adventure World and did ok,but then somehow bought the SF chain.Admittedly there was a coaster war going on-with parks building B&M and Intamin rides every year and the crowds were eating it all up-but Premier/SF bought & built their way into financial trouble.Just look at all the other parks that had been "flagged" and then sold off or closed:Elitch,Geauga,Astroworld,the parks in Europe...SFA has had tough times,but I think it's fighting its way to success.

Yup, SFA has done well enough. IMO, that's why it wasn't sold like the others. This year, I've never seen the parking lot so full. I think they have underestimated what the crowds are going to be for HITP. I have already heard on other boards that people are going to for go Zoolights this year for HITP. People, including myself, love Zoolights. SFA is going to be crammed without the back section open.

I think they have underestimated what the crowds are going to be for HITP. I have already heard on other boards that people are going to for go Zoolights this year for HITP. People, including myself, love Zoolights. SFA is going to be crammed without the back section open.

What's Zoolights? I'll most certainly be going to HITP both at SFGAdv when I'm up in that area and SFA since it's so close. If SFA's HITP is half as fantastic as GAdv's then it'll be a massive win! The park has steadily improved over the last 5-6 years and I do truly hope they continue the trend.

If that's the case then they'll likely expand it eventually but crowds were generally very manageable at Great Adventure.

Yeah, they were pretty manageable at SGGadv. This is the thing at SFA. The park shows its size when the water park closes. During FF, the second overflow lot is about full. It's pretty crammed around the park with all of the sections open. I can't imagine if we get the same crowds that we have during FF during HITP with an entire (the biggest) section closed. I'll put money down that the HITP crowd will be bigger; knowing this area anyway. One thing is a given. Food lines will be horrendous.

The park shows its size when the water park closes. During FF, the second overflow lot is about full. It's pretty crammed around the park with all of the sections open. I can't imagine if we get the same crowds that we have during FF during HITP with an entire (the biggest) section closed. I'll put money down that the HITP crowd will be bigger; knowing this area anyway. One thing is a given. Food lines will be horrendous.

What nights are FF that full? I wondering if it's even worth it, the park doesn't deal with large crowds well. Wouldn't even consider Saturdays. I did OK on Sundays the last 2 years.

I know BGW's first Christmas Towns were very low-key, but people are getting more used to the idea, and Six Flag's version isn't so much clearly emphasizing eating drinking and generally spending with your loved ones over rides.

Saturday. At least two trains are always running. I wouldn't say that about the families. There is going to be plenty for families. You'll see. Bottom line is that it's a Christmas event in DC. The crowd will be there. Williamsburg is more of a summer/fall place. That's probably why BGW's event wasn't big time at first. Trust me, I go to Williamsburg almost every year. It's always cheaper in the winter. Usually real expensive in the fall.

Hilarious and thanks. I googled it but was thinking it was something the park was offering and not an event at The National Zoo. My search of "Zoolights Six Flags America" did not turn up any relevant results. Go ahead and take away my TPR card for being born and raised in the DC area with no knowledge of Zoolights and having mediocre googling skills on top of it!

Fright fest haunted attractions ratings:

Spider Outbreak: 6/10

Twisted FairyTales: 9/10

Aftermath: 6/10

Voodoo Curse: 8/10

Terror Toy Shop:9.5/10

Haunting of Hall Manor: 4/10. One of fright fest's best mazes, haunting of hall manor, is officially ruined due to 1000 people being let in at once. I went two saturday's in a row and had the same experinece, having my scares ruined because of collisions with other groups.

Haunting of Hall Manor: 4/10. One of fright fest's best mazes, haunting of hall manor, is officially ruined due to 1000 people being let in at once. I went two saturday's in a row and had the same experinece, having my scares ruined because of collisions with other groups.

How do the houses compare to Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens?

Lol, really? When we went, only about 8 at a time went in at around 3-4 minute intervals which was plenty. Hall Manor is a 10, period. Go Friday or Sunday night; maybe better luck. I agree 100% with the other ratings.

I went Friday and Eleanor/Hall Manor was the opposite, the line moved very slow. I got put in the back of a group whose leader was afraid of everything and had 3 girls which got the majority of the attention, so once again it kind of fizzled for me. I don't blame them for sending more people in through when it's crowded, it's not nearly as good but if the wait is ridiculous the experience can't possibly live up to that.

I found the mazes had decent but not great sets, enthusiastic but not that effective of actors. Kings Dominion is better, but not so much different that it changes the nature of them, highly random and variable, "performance art". And better when not overcrowded.

Elsewhere Friday, crowds were light with it being Friday and rained earlier, some sprinkling later. The other main line was Superman VR -- everything running one train -- not long but slow. OMG so not ready for prime time. I tried it and it ruined my ride. The Velcro holding the washable pads is wearing out and it still doesn't work right yet. I put it on and really grainy but I could look around. The ride started moving and ... nothing changed. View angle changed as the coaster turned but I never left the station. An informal poll showed 2 out 6 or 7 worked. On a later ride, it took 5 minutes to get 2 riders satisfied theirs was working, holding up the entire train, and I'll bet at least one actually didn't work still. It would have been interesting to see but this is not a working system. Further, it's not a good ride to not be able to see what is happening, don't even think about sitting in the back rows if you want to try the VR, I had to rely on memory and bracing myself and it still hurt. Should have just pulled off the headset but was afraid of losing it and I wasn't sure it was broken until I was over the lift. If you find yourself looking at a back door, it crashed.

Saw today that SFA is doing that announcement about the train being dispatched in 30 seconds. It worked too. People didn't fool around when getting in their seats. Roar train before me left in about 52 seconds; mine left in 47. Wild One around the same times. Keep it going! The food lines even moved faster today. At Chop Six, someone was going through the line taking dining passes for quicker checkout. Worked.

I see that the rides are getting the Christmas treatment too. I like the different color schemes for different areas. Green and purple for Mardi Gras, red and blue for the middle, etc.

20161023_165444.thumb.jpg.8f901d42c427cf18563d84a4317430bf.jpg

I'm passing through the park on Friday night to process my dirt cheap Six Flags gold pass. How does season pass processing work at Six Flags America? Can I get there early and get the pass processed before the park opens at 5pm? I tried looking around on the six flags site, and calling but found no answers. Thanks.

Trip Last Saturday for FrightFst! Had a good time. Did all the mazes! Lines weren't too bad 4 a Saturday.

IMG_2442.thumb.JPG.a476339e3c355755ad178e7ef30e992d.JPG

FF exclusive menu options? I'll pass. I wouldn't trust SF with Country Fryed Steak, Leave dat for Cracker Barrel!

IMG_2464.thumb.JPG.b6d66e457084dd8892df1c51031b5b51.JPG

Pretty sky! Pretty tower!

IMG_2504.thumb.JPG.9dc3f8ecdf253a16aac4dad8e2a75867.JPG

Some creepy bull skeleton monstrosity, he roared at ppl as he strolled by!

IMG_2109.thumb.JPG.5166a672208dff6a7af89276df9d1c52.JPG

This show was AWESOME! Def go see it if you have the chance. They said it was for kids but not really. Costumes were cool and lots of innuendo that flew over kids head. 2nd best SF show (behind the old batman stnt show!)

IMG_2108.thumb.JPG.00d8694ce75f3688b9890c780817fcb5.JPG

Dinner at the chinese place and this was my fortune! food was so good too! orange chicken & rice yummm

I'm passing through the park on Friday night to process my dirt cheap Six Flags gold pass. How does season pass processing work at Six Flags America? Can I get there early and get the pass processed before the park opens at 5pm? I tried looking around on the six flags site, and calling but found no answers. Thanks.

Last I looked, the pass processing place will be open about 30 minutes before the park opens.