TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Option 3 is the only good option. This park needs more good rides open for Holiday in the Park because right now everything good is in the back except for Wild One and the cow ride.

I think corporate is pushing for them to have at least some of Gotham open for HITP (mostly to have some more of the headline coasters open). While it's doubtful that any of Gotham will be open for HITP this year, if the event is successful enough, Gotham would be the most reasonable location to expand the event to in 2017. If that's the case, they would surely open back to at least Superman and any of these options would then be viable.

Option 3 is the only good option. This park needs more good rides open for Holiday in the Park because right now everything good is in the back except for Wild One and the cow ride.

I think corporate is pushing for them to have at least some of Gotham open for HITP (mostly to have some more of the headline coasters open). While it's doubtful that any of Gotham will be open for HITP this year, if the event is successful enough, Gotham would be the most reasonable location to expand the event to in 2017. If that's the case, they would surely open back to at least Superman and any of these options would then be viable.

I still think there is a slim chance that Gotham (really Whistle Stop Park) will be open for HITP; just not any of the rides open (JJ, S:ROS, Batwing).

I still think there is a slim chance that Gotham (really Whistle Stop Park) will be open for HITP; just not any of the rides open (JJ, S:ROS, Batwing).

I don't think that's completely out of the realm of possibility... a lot of games/food options in that general area and it would open the possibility of using Gotham Arena for some sort of HITP show of some sorts... just sort of make a barricade right at Joker's Jinx...

They're not going to be able to staff basically the entire park for this event, especially since they're closing in between Fright Fest and HITP which is going to cost them a lot of employees since everyone is hiring for holiday help at the same time with much more stable hours. It would also be really difficult to decorate back there since it's just an empty field, Joker is expensive to run and loves to stall and Superman is valley-prone too. They have a kids area up front so I really don't see why they'd bother.

Great Adventure had staffing issues, and they want to keep the initial costs low to manage risk since this is a brand new event for them.

I don't think that's completely out of the realm of possibility... a lot of games/food options in that general area and it would open the possibility of using Gotham Arena for some sort of HITP show of some sorts... just sort of make a barricade right at Joker's Jinx...

Exactly. Yes there is one kid's area (Movietown), but seems it would be a waste to not include Whistlestop. We're talking about Christmas here! Plus, they have an entire arena back in Gotham that they could use for a show. Also, for anyone that has a 'set', ride the Sky Coaster in the cold...lol.

They're not going to be able to staff basically the entire park for this event, especially since they're closing in between Fright Fest and HITP which is going to cost them a lot of employees since everyone is hiring for holiday help at the same time with much more stable hours. It would also be really difficult to decorate back there since it's just an empty field, Joker is expensive to run and loves to stall and Superman is valley-prone too. They have a kids area up front so I really don't see why they'd bother.

Great Adventure had staffing issues, and they want to keep the initial costs low to manage risk since this is a brand new event for them.

True, but they have hired a boatload of people from Jamaica and Columbia. Maybe they are getting ahead of the game early.

Though to be honest... I would trade ALL of Gotham being open in exchange for a nicely decorated route along Capital Railways for HITP! I always loved when they used to go all out on the train for Fright Fest and I think they could really make Capital Railways a headline attraction if they can have the train open and decorated well along the route (accompanied with some Christmas music played over the sound system).

Some of the guys at GADV.com figured it out last year. I'm pretty sure it's Feliz Navidad, Most Wonderful Time of the Year,

and this cringe-worthy bull*** that's guaranteed to make your ears bleed.

I'm actually pretty sure those are the only songs they play. Maybe somebody bought them a $5 itunes gift card and that was their music budget.

Ah, so they're finally taking advantage of the new height limits. What's it now? I think the previous was 200 feet.

I don't believe they have a maximum limit... the stipulation is simply that they need special height variance approval anytime they want to build an attraction over 200 feet tall (as opposed to before where they simply could not build anything over 200 feet tall regardless). Anything under 200 feet tall would not need this extra approval but would still have to go through the usual permitting/planning/approval process. Given that SFA has some pretty NIMBY neighbors, I'm not surprised that they didn't go too much above 200 feet for this attraction (as opposed to building the 400' version of this ride). I mean, if they started out too big, it's likely the locals would protest every time in the future that the park wanted to go above 200' and getting future approval would have been much more difficult. I'm sure they'll place this in such a location that it will be seen/heard as minimally as possible from the neighbors (or at least as minimally as possible for A 242' tall tower).

Ah, so they're finally taking advantage of the new height limits. What's it now? I think the previous was 200 feet.

I don't believe they have a maximum limit... the stipulation is simply that they need special height variance approval anytime they want to build an attraction over 200 feet tall (as opposed to before where they simply could not build anything over 200 feet tall regardless). Anything under 200 feet tall would not need this extra approval but would still have to go through the usual permitting/planning/approval process. Given that SFA has some pretty NIMBY neighbors, I'm not surprised that they didn't go too much above 200 feet for this attraction (as opposed to building the 400' version of this ride). I mean, if they started out too big, it's likely the locals would protest every time in the future that the park wanted to go above 200' and getting future approval would have been much more difficult. I'm sure they'll place this in such a location that it will be seen/heard as minimally as possible from the neighbors (or at least as minimally as possible for A 242' tall tower).

Huh. I remember reading a while back (on Screamscape, I think?) that they could now build taller than 200, prior to which they were forbidden to do. I always assumed it was due to their proximity to Andrews.

Edited by StarWars

Huh. I remember reading a while back (on Screamscape, I think?) that they could now build taller than 200, prior to which they were forbidden to do. I always assumed it was due to their proximity to Andrews.

See bottom of Page 3 (as written on the document)/Top of Page 4 (bottom of Page 6/Top of Page 7 overall), Condition 2 to see the original wording of the restriction and the suggested (and later approved) revised wording...

http://www.cityofbowie.org/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/147?fileID=156

Edited by CoasterLover

We are also doing a Six Flags Themed TPR Bag-O-Crap Twitter give-away! See our Twitter feed for details on how to be entered to win this cool Six Flags stuff including a couple of those giant park "wall maps!" Continue to RT our tweets from later today to be entered for a better chance to win! Winner will be picked later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Click:

[twitter]

[/twitter]

CrSdak1VYAAlB1X.jpg

CrSda3yUAAAVJeQ.jpg

CrSdak3VMAAK2HI.jpg