TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Going to the park on 9-4. Will my wife and I need flash passes? Shes never been there and I haven't in years

Probably. I'm pretty sure that's the last day for the water park so it will be crowded.

I'm going that day as well. There is no shot in hell of me buying a flash pass for SFA. I'll take my chances, I think we'll be okay.

Well I've heard that they closed portions of the park at Great Adventure and I was wondering if it was most of the park or not. Also how crowded is it at the other parks and is there a certain temperature that it has to be for the coasters to operate.

Well I've heard that they closed portions of the park at Great Adventure and I was wondering if it was most of the park or not. Also how crowded is it at the other parks and is there a certain temperature that it has to be for the coasters to operate.

They had about half of the park open. The coasters that were running were Nitro, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Dark Knight, Skull Mountain and the kids coaster. Crowds were manageable with family rides being more popular than coasters due to the shifting demographic that a holiday event brings.

The coasters operated every single day of Holiday in the Park and never once did any of them close due to low temperatures. It was an unseasonably warm year, there must be a limit somewhere but we were riding Nitro with Boldikus for 90 minutes straight on January 3rd when it was 29 degrees.

The lights are stunning. They bring in an outside contractor (Oak Island Creative) to do them and they put on a show.

Just a few photos to give you an idea... you should be INCREDIBLY excited for this event. I have no doubt that it'll be the best addition the park has had since Superman.

Oh and this thing... WOW!!!

And here we are riding an 80 MPH hypercoaster at night in January. Boldikus is holding an eagle and my gloves are flashing obnoxiously. My fiance looks like a frostbitten marshmallow.

10665049_10207634403132506_9082570495290779997_n.jpg?oh=324854a28b69bc6de7b94dde88c88abf&oe=58504FC0

Get hyped. Holiday in the Park is complete greatness.

I honestly don't think Superman will be open either. It's just too much of a commitment.

Great Adventure played it conservative in year 1. They need to close parts of the park to manage risk (the more you open and the more people you pay the higher the cost is) and because they're going to be short staffed. I think they'll cut it off at Wild One with the front of the park open and the back closed. If I had to guess I'd say that the best you can hope for is Joker's Jynx to be open and the path cut off at Whistlestop Park and by Riddle me This. At least then they get an upcharge ride out of the deal.

My only hesitation is that the coasters in the back of the park at Six Flags America are infinitely better than the ones in the front, but I don't see a way for them to get back to Superman. Doing so would mean opening up all of the food stands in Gotham City, probably some of the rides over there too, Joker's Jynx and then either opening Whistlestop Park or trying to figure out how to decorate a desolate pathway with no trees and nothing on it next to a closed water ride.

I mean sure they could just not open anything on the way to Superman but I don't see it happening, and it's really hard to decorate back there too.

I think you'll get the front of the park, but you have to admit that's a big improvement over what you had last year. Go to the event, buy things, spend money and if it's successful they just might expand it.

Based on the area of the park you described it seems like it's possible to open the whole park. From the boardwalk to nitro arguably seems about the same size as all of six flags America but the area from the boardwalk to nitro could be shorter than it seems.

They have a much larger base of people to draw from than Six Flags America does. Six Flags America doesn't draw large crowds to the dry park in the summer, winter crowds are usually smaller so if they open the whole park they're really sticking their necks out. Plus, again... they won't have the staff. They're closing for 2 full weeks between Fright Fest and HITP. They're going to lose a lot of staff when they do that, especially since at that same time everyone is hiring for holiday help and they're offering way more than 16 hours (at most) per week with a big gap in November with no work at all. Great Adventure had staffing problems during HITP, SFA will too.

Trust me. It's better that they play this conservatively and make it successful than eat it big time and never do it again.

I don't think that Superman can even run in winter conditions. I know that at Darien Lake, there's about a 40-50 degree limit, or it risks valleying. It crawls over the second hills and bunny hops in even semi-cold conditions. You don't want to risk evacuating a train in snow and wind.

Of course, the B&M's have temp recommendations too, but they are a lot heavier, and have the cold wheels.

I don't think that Superman can even run in winter conditions. I know that at Darien Lake, there's about a 40-50 degree limit, or it risks valleying. It crawls over the second hills and bunny hops in even semi-cold conditions. You don't want to risk evacuating a train in snow and wind.

Of course, the B&M's have temp recommendations too, but they are a lot heavier, and have the cold wheels.

Yeah... you see that post you just made. It describes most parks perfectly. It's very reasonable and well thought out. But here's the problem, Six Flags doesn't care about anything you just said. Like at all.

The limit on a B&M is 40 degrees to start it and then once it gets down to 36 they close them. Dollywood follows this rule incredibly strictly, but Six Flags? During Holiday in the Park last year (the Saturday before Christmas) they ran Nitro when it was in the high 30's with 20 MPH sustained winds, 50 MPH gusts, gale warning, small craft advisory... you name it, we had it. The trains were struggling so much that they were front-loading them and all but the first 4 rows were closed, and the trains were just about stalling out on every hill.

On one run we were boarding the train but instead of sitting down the entire train was turned around watching in amazement to see if the other one would come back. The 2 guys who were checking seats were watching the train and laughing hysterically and the girl at the panel had both hands over her eyes because she couldn't bear to watch any more (I swear I'm not making this up). It stalled out on top of the swooping turn before the helix for a good 2-3 seconds Top-Thrill-Dragster-style before finally rolling forward, creeping to the top of the helix and rolling through the brakes into the bunny hops.

So what did they do? Check the train, clear and dispatch. Once the wheels warmed up it ran great but early in the day it ran insanely slow. It got down into the high 20's that night and it was running like Nitro again but early in the day Six Flags was pushing it to the absolute limit. We also saw them run Kingda Ka and Bizarro in New England in the 30's during Fright Fest. They'll run them until they won't run any more... and then what that happens they'll send maintenance into the woods to run all the way up the spiral steps on the midcourse where the train stopped like 10 times in one day (probably because it was in the 20's) to clear it or they'll (literally) bring out a huge mallet to bang on the brake run for awhile when the ride faults on the lift when it's below freezing.

They don't care... like at all. And if it valleys then they have a cherry picker for that. Until then, keep calm and dispatch on. They're so awesome.

^I knew that they were running Nitro in that kind of weather, but I had no idea that they were letting trains crawl over hills like that. I actually respect Six Flags a little more for actually keeping the rides running, rather than disappointing people and shutting them down.

The only reason why I mentioned about Superman is because the Intamins tend to be more picky. I believe that Darien has a slightly different panel than the other two, and it will throw a fault if the train returns too slowly. Then it won't let any trains dispatch until it can speed up. Sometimes a light drizzle can shut it down for hours.

But the B&M's also track speed on the brake run from what I have heard, so maybe Six Flags just found a way around it. It wouldn't be the first time they jerry rigged something to run different (that's not always a bad thing either)

^^ Reading that got me totally stoked for HITP again. I never would have imagined I would have enjoyed riding a hypercoaster repeatedly in below freezing temperatures. The sense of adventure is truly greater when everyone is collectively rooting for trains to make it all the way through the course.

I honestly don't think Superman will be open either. It's just too much of a commitment.

Great Adventure played it conservative in year 1. They need to close parts of the park to manage risk (the more you open and the more people you pay the higher the cost is) and because they're going to be short staffed. I think they'll cut it off at Wild One with the front of the park open and the back closed. If I had to guess I'd say that the best you can hope for is Joker's Jynx to be open and the path cut off at Whistlestop Park and by Riddle me This. At least then they get an upcharge ride out of the deal.

My only hesitation is that the coasters in the back of the park at Six Flags America are infinitely better than the ones in the front, but I don't see a way for them to get back to Superman. Doing so would mean opening up all of the food stands in Gotham City, probably some of the rides over there too, Joker's Jynx and then either opening Whistlestop Park or trying to figure out how to decorate a desolate pathway with no trees and nothing on it next to a closed water ride.

I mean sure they could just not open anything on the way to Superman but I don't see it happening, and it's really hard to decorate back there too.

I think you'll get the front of the park, but you have to admit that's a big improvement over what you had last year. Go to the event, buy things, spend money and if it's successful they just might expand it.

I think Whistlestop will be open, being that it is a kids area. I loved the event at SFGAdv. I'm looking forward to this.

As of about June, word I was hearing from management around the park was to NOT expect anything north of Wild One (I.e. Gotham and Whistle Stop)... at least not this year. As for decorations, apparently SFA's entertainment staff has been envisioning and day dreaming a Holiday event for quite some time now. It's only been recently that they got the green light from corporate, but as for having a plan of what they WANT to do, those have been in the works for several years... It will all be up to how much capital corporate gives them to work with...

Hi to all, me and my family going to travel to U.S.A next month, we are staying for 3 weeks in Baltimore and what to visit some touristic attractions there, Im thinking about Six Flags America in Upper Marlboro.

I want to know if some of you know where can I find information for guests with disabilities? or if you had a similar experience on a park.

Thanks a lot!

I think Whistlestop will be open, being that it is a kids area. I loved the event at SFGAdv. I'm looking forward to this.

See, I don't think so because they already have Loony Toons Movie Town in the front of the park. If it weren't for that I'd agree with you.

Hi to all, me and my family going to travel to U.S.A next month, we are staying for 3 weeks in Baltimore and what to visit some touristic attractions there, Im thinking about Six Flags America in Upper Marlboro.

I want to know if some of you know where can I find information for guests with disabilities? or if you had a similar experience on a park.

Thanks a lot!

Sure, here you go. And here's some more great information.

... okay fine, here. but the first 2 links are way better.

Edited by coasterbill

Thanks a lot!

Well first off Sean I am very happy you are interested in Six Flags Anerica as we don't get a lot of attention. So on the website I'm pretty sure there is some information about guest with disabilities. If not you can always call the park. You can also visit guest services when you arrive in the park and they can assist you. I have visited the park with a family member who has a disability. They gave that person a pass to use at some of the rides. Based on the disability However there will be some rides that person can't get on. If you don't view six flags as a viable option I would be glad to show you other attractions in the area.

I'm interested to see what HITP brings to this place. As others have said, pretty much all of the star attractions are in the back of the park.

Thanks a lot!

See, I don't think so because they already have Loony Toons Movie Town in the front of the park. If it weren't for that I'd agree with you.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a looot! this is exactly what I was looking for!!! bucause I just found the one of the main page but didnt resolve my question. This great