TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

^I haven't visited SFA yet, but if you leave after 3:30 PM, count on it taking you one and a half to two hours to get from the park through Baltimore. From Baltimore, I believe Hershey is between 60 and 90 minutes, but you may hit traffic from the Pennsylvania commuters on I-83. I commute the opposite direction each day (from DC to Baltimore in the morning, Baltimore to DC in the evening) and the people commuting from Baltimore have it much worse than I do. I would seriously try to leave Six Flags before 4:00 PM. I would also recommend downloading Waze (a smartphone app) if you don't already have it, as it does better than Google Maps with giving you the fastest routes.

Edited by The Yeti

I want to be at Hersheypark by 7:30 Monday night. The distance between the 2 parks is 126 miles. At about what time should I leave SFA?

That's a tough one. The drive should be a little less than two and a half hours without traffic, but you're leaving DC during rush hour - and it's going to be the first rush hour where the Metro on that side of town is completely closed. If I were you, I would leave at 4pm to be safe - that should get you ahead of at least the Beltway traffic, and hopefully some of the 95 traffic as well.

Side note on your drive - 95 gets congestion as you approach MD 200 (the exit with all the toll signs as you come up to it). Stick to the right when you see signs for 200 and 198 - the two lanes that branch off actually dump back into 95 and will jump you past about two miles of traffic!

^^-- I wouldn't be surprised if I could leave at 7:30 and make that in 2 hours, but to get there at 7:30 might be best to leave before 2:00 to save your sanity. Maybe stop to eat after getting through the worst of it. Would also avoid some afternoon heat.

Stay at least long enough to decide whose advice to take on this park, someone who doesn't like it or someone who rides every coaster (although Batwing is in question, very disorienting). Do skip Penguin's River (spinning) and Fireball if you have any tendency to get sick. Ragin Cajun has the exact right amount of spinning, decent if not too slow to get on.

Ragin Cajun has the exact right amount of spinning, decent if not too slow to get on.

Ragin' Cajun was almost my favorite ride in the park when I rode it at Six Flags Great America, so I'm guessing there's a decent chance that it WOULD be my favorite ride at SFA if I went there!

Stay at least long enough to decide whose advice to take on this park, someone who doesn't like it or someone who rides every coaster (although Batwing is in question, very disorienting). Do skip Penguin's River (spinning) and Fireball if you have any tendency to get sick. Ragin Cajun has the exact right amount of spinning, decent if not too slow to get on.

+1

but why ? one will be free to go to a park and try to enjoy it as he sees fit?

Because the Baltmore Inner Harbor rules and Six Flags America sucks.

Lol,..not really. I go to both quite a bit. I'll go to SFA any day over the harbor. I do agree with the crabs and beer thumbs up though.

I'll be making my first visit to the park on Monday, and I can't wait to ride the wooden coasters, especially Wild One. I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I want to be at Hersheypark by 7:30 Monday night. The distance between the 2 parks is 126 miles. At about what time should I leave SFA?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for a first-time visitor?

If anyone would like to meet up for some rides, please let me know. Thanks.

If you aren't doing the water parks, this would be easy on a Monday. Get there when it opens, ride everything twice (not Apocalypse), get the shows under your belt (you will miss block party which is too bad: it only goes at 6pm), and eat. You will be hurting getting to PA anytime after 3-330. The Metro crap has jacked up the roads worst than they already were.

If u are doing the water park, you will really be pushing it.

Lol,..not really. I go to both quite a bit. I'll go to SFA any day over the harbor. I do agree with the crabs and beer thumbs up though.

Yeah, but you're spoiled. If you're just visiting then eating Maryland crab is a big deal. Nothing compares to the way they do it in Maryland / Baltimore. I stand by my crabs (could be in the form of a crab cake) and beer suggestion.

Oh and to the original poster... remember to put Old Bay on everything. It's a Maryland tradition. And try a Natty Boh. It sucks but we love it anyway.

Oh and to the original poster... remember to put Old Bay on everything. It's a Maryland tradition.

Born and raised in Maryland, can confirm. Sometimes we even put old bay on our old bay (On a side note, old bay dry rub wings are the best)

Oh and to the original poster... remember to put Old Bay on everything. It's a Maryland tradition.

Born and raised in Maryland, can confirm. Sometimes we even put old bay on our old bay (On a side note, old bay dry rub wings are the best)

Old Bay seasoning on burgers is where it's at!

Lol.,,,yup

Yeah, but you're spoiled. If you're just visiting then eating Maryland crab is a big deal. Nothing compares to the way they do it in Maryland / Baltimore. I stand by my crabs (could be in the form of a crab cake) and beer suggestion.

Oh and to the original poster... remember to put Old Bay on everything. It's a Maryland tradition. And try a Natty Boh. It sucks but we love it anyway.

Yup, I'll give you that. Very spoiled. There is this crab place called "My Place" that just opened by my house. Gets fresh crab everyday. Hmm, it's great.

Rode Apocalypse for the first time last week...so painful I thought Shockwave at KD was much more enjoyable in my opinion. Also, while I did opt out on the VR on S:ROS, I was getting slightly frustrated just because of how much longer the process takes to dispatch a train as opposed to without it. Now with one train operations along with that, a small line turns into a long wait.

• 2 weeks later...

We're visiting the park today for the first time. Finding it hard to really enjoy after a couple days at Great Adventure. Couldn't ride Superman unfortunately. Even with a 38" waist the lap belts were a good 4-5" too short. Really wanted to try the VR experience.