TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

1.5 days in the park will leave you with plenty of time to do everything. It's a small park with relatively slow operations on all rides except Joker's Jinx, which I freaking love. Wild One is a masterpiece as already said above and Superman is my personal favorite in the park. Batwing will try to kill you so don't say I didn't warn you... Have fun and report back!

Let me tell y'all. I had my reservations about the VR, but those reservations are officially down the toilet. It was pretty damn awesome. Let me chuck some arguments against them right now. I've heard some say that: 'one of the best things about coasters is seeing the scenery and the track',...blah blah blah...lol Though I agree with that, here's the thing. Don't wear them then! Man, by all means don't ride any of the dark ride coasters, or any at night time. You'll really be pissed.

The only real legitimate gripe is going to be the line. They doubled the staff up there, so it wasn't as slow as I thought, but Saturday is going to be a great test. The fitting portion didn't take that long, but will be a hindrance.

For someone who has never ridden, or doesn't have great knowledge of the track, they are in for a treat.

The only complaint I have is that the sound is not loud enough. I'm going back tomorrow for sure. Got 5 rides in today. May go for the same tomorrow.

I don't think anyone was worried about missing out on the scenery at Six Flags America.

I'll say this though, we rode Goliath at La Ronde with and without the VR and we thought the gimmick was sort of cool but we much preferred riding without it. So to each his own... at least at SFA dispatch times are already horrible and crowds are light so it won't mess things up quite as bad there as it will in parks that get more crowded like Six Flags New England.

I rode Superman VR Coaster on Tuesday. Fitting was fast and they had one person checking seatbelts and lapbars and another checking to make sure your VR headset was properly synced. It is kind of cool how the VR is synced with the ride and knows where you are. Having ridden Superman without VR quite a bit, I am very familiar with the lay out. The VR interpretation of the layout is very well done and makes for a great ride.

I agree about the sound not being loud enough. Also, I was little disappointed in the graphics as they weren't as sharp and crystal clear as I would have expected. The graphics reminded me of older video games. For some reason the graphics that appear on the POV that are online are sharper and smoother than what I experienced through the VR headset. One of the park officials talked about changing the VR experience for Haunt or Holiday in the park, and that would be really cool. But usually that is just talk that never materializes due to the $ involved.

I will say VR will be great for someone who is apprehensive about riding a 200ft coaster, because with the VR you don't realize how high up are. While I liked the VR experience overall, after 10 rides + with VR it got kinda of old. So when I go back to SFA not sure if I will opt for VR or not.

Lots of POV videos out there if you search Superman Virtual Reality Coaster @ Six Flags America.

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here. At SFA today, got here around 1:30 and the place is PACKED! I've never seen it so crowded. We had to park in the overflow lot for the overflow lot. The one behind mind eraser. The lot is littered with weeds and debris, I don't think they use this lot often...

Will post another update later.

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here. At SFA today, got here around 1:30 and the place is PACKED! I've never seen it so crowded. We had to park in the overflow lot for the overflow lot. The one behind mind eraser. The lot is littered with weeds and debris, I don't think they use this lot often...

Will post another update later.

Even being a longtime passholder it's been years since I've seen it that full with the exception of Fright Fest.

So far, VR on superman is getting mixed reviews, mostly negative due to long wait times and it not functioning correctly. Looking at comments on Twitter and sfa's Instagram page are showing that the gp are fed and want a new roller coaster and better customer service. This video is not helping much either https://twitter.com/_godofshade/status/741656794209132544

It's called growing pains of a new technology. From working in the tech sector, I can tell you that it happens. Every park that has VR are having the same issues, especially with the lines. It'll more than likely work itself out over time. Glad mine worked perfectly.

Where are the comments on Twitter and Instagram? I do not see them anywhere.

So far, VR on superman is getting mixed reviews, mostly negative due to long wait times and it not functioning correctly. Looking at comments on Twitter and sfa's Instagram page are showing that the gp are fed and want a new roller coaster and better customer service. This video is not helping much either https://twitter.com/_godofshade/status/741656794209132544

The video's probably biased, since who knows if the random guy tried to attack the worker? And also, look at her profile...a slut who really likes coffins...

Exactly. I saw that pic and was like, umm..lol.. can't take it seriously. Also, the VR is getting 'way more' positive reviews. Wait being the only real gripe. I heard a couple of people saying the battery ran out. I'm sure a process will be put in place to better monitor the phones as time goes on.

Hello everyone, just to introduce myself my name is mcuster08 and I'm from MD. Lived in MD my whole life. I've considered all the mid-atlantic parks to be my home parks (SFA, SFGAD, KD, BGW, HP) as they are all within a 3 hour drive of where I live. But SFA is by far the closest. I've been going there since I got into roller coasters in 2000 (I'm 26 now). So SFA, despite the bad rap that it usually gets, holds a lot of nostalgia for me. My friend, who isn't an enthusiast but lets me drag him to parks, and I decided to take a trip to SFA because I had a BAFF that was expiring (probably why crowds were so large). No huge rush, as we had done everything except to new Superman VR before, so it was mostly just having fun.

I mentioned earlier, we got to the park around 1:30 and it was SUPER crowded, we parked halfway down the 3rd parking lot. My friend called it Narnia. So we walked from Narnia to the front gate, took us about 10 minutes to get in once we got in line. We went straight to Superman. Line was in the first 2 rows of switchbacks and out the entrance, but we weren't in any rush, so we got in line. Stood in line for about 20 min and only 2 trains were sent. We still wanted to have fun, so we decided to bail. That line was probably upwards of 3 hours at the rate it was going, which wasn't worth it to us.

We went to Batwing, waited maybe 5 min for a middle row. It's one of the only roller coasters (along with Skyrush) that legitimately scares me. That feeling when you flip over and all you see is ground is one of the scariest moments on a roller coaster for me. A little more rattly than last year, but still a good ride.

Then we wanted to ride Joker's Jinx, but it had broken down, so we went to Wild One instead. A lot of people on here agree, it may be one of the oldest coasters in the world, but it STILL packs a punch. We waited 5 min for the front row. Airtime is definitely more intense in the front. Such an underrated ride. Just the right amount of rattle for an older woodie. Probably my 3rd favorite woodie behind El Toro and Lightning Racer. I just hope they paint it for its 100th next year...it looks super sad.

From there, took a relaxing ride on the flyers. Always good. From there, did Apocalypse. Waited 10 min for the front seat. I actually like this ride. I don't find it all that rough or uncomfortable, but I am shorter and skinnier (5'7" 140 lbs) so I might fit better than most enthusiasts . Love the theming and music. I'd put it in the upper tier of rides at SFA. If they build more rides with the same care they took with Apocalypse, SFA would become even more competitive in this already competitive market.

From there we went to the waterpark. Absolute mob scene. The slides didn't have too much of a wait though. Waited 20 min for Tornado, 10 for Bahama Blast and 10 for Bonzai Pipelines. There were just WAY too many people on the midway, you had to jostle through the crowds to get anywhere. Although it was a perfect day for a waterpark as it was upwards of 90+ degrees F. Good little waterpark, but should probably get another expansion soon, or maybe a second entrance somewhere to alleviate the crowds. I don't know where they would put it? Coyote Creek maybe?

Now it was getting time to leave, so we went back to Superman to see if the line had shortened, and, it was even longer. The entire queue was almost full...I don't even wanna know what kind of wait time that was. As good of a ride it is, it's not worth longer than an hour wait.

Instead, we saw the Joker was launching so we did that . Waited about 15 min. The girl on the mic was super annoying. I've ridden it with operators that are hilarious, but this girl just needed to shut up and launch the trains. It was super intense at the end, moreso than last year. Pleasant surprise.

Skipped Ragin Cajun because of the line. Roar was closed for the day and Mind Eraser is pure garbage so we skipped those. Headed out to Ruby Tuesday and ate dinner on the way out. Overall, a pretty good day just coastering with no real agenda. Will have to go back early in the morning for Superman. I hope they get the kinks with the VR figured out.

Overall, I know SFA gets a bad rap for being run-down and having bad operations. And it does, but it's not as bad as it was years ago. The layout may be idiotic and there's no shade, but it's getting better every year. And though each of the rides may not be stellar, they are all just ok, except for Mind Eraser. Bulldoze that thing and get a B&M. It is totally possible to have fun at this park and though it's not worth making a special trip for, if you're in DC, it's worth a few hours of your day.

I'll be making my first visit to the park on Monday, and I can't wait to ride the wooden coasters, especially Wild One. I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I want to be at Hersheypark by 7:30 Monday night. The distance between the 2 parks is 126 miles. At about what time should I leave SFA?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for a first-time visitor?

If anyone would like to meet up for some rides, please let me know. Thanks.