TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Was only there once in 2014 but yes policy seemed to be the same - we got rerides on Jokers Jinx and Superman multiple times, though on Superman we had to play musical chairs a few times. The only other coaster we rode more than once was Wild One but that was a few times spread throughout the day. You couldn't pay me to ride any of the other coasters there again. I do want to go back for Supes, JJ and WO, they are all great.

So for me, this park is like "Friday the 13th- Part 52".....you knew it would suck, but had to see it anyway!

I've hit all the major parks on the East Coast, and TOTALLY agree that the VA area and south is the place to be- SFA is more about that fact that I've never been, have a SFGA season pass, and like "Friday the 13th- Part 52".....I know it sucks, but I have to see it anyway!

Trust me- I'm not going out of my way to get there, based upon all the crappy posts I've read- starting with the "bad" crowd that comes here, lousy staff, etc....I think you get the picture!

Don't listen on the bad crowd. Mostly stereotypical. Watch. Had rougher times at other parks.

So for me, this park is like "Friday the 13th- Part 52".....you knew it would suck, but had to see it anyway!

I've hit all the major parks on the East Coast, and TOTALLY agree that the VA area and south is the place to be- SFA is more about that fact that I've never been, have a SFGA season pass, and like "Friday the 13th- Part 52".....I know it sucks, but I have to see it anyway!

Trust me- I'm not going out of my way to get there, based upon all the crappy posts I've read- starting with the "bad" crowd that comes here, lousy staff, etc....I think you get the picture!

Hmm. Don't know. Take it from someone who lives 3 miles away, and came close to swearing off the place back in 2007. Went back in 2012, and was surprised. Had a pass ever since. To give you a heads up, I'm really an objective person. I go multiple places every year. I like the employees at SFA and SFOG more than KD and BG. Not talking about the ops (getting trains out quick) at SFA. They need help. What I can say is that I always 'have a good time there'. I've left KD mad more than once.

A lot of people who do the bashing went to SFA a whopping grand total of one or two times in the last decade or so, then call it crap. I went to SFGAdv for the first time last year and wasn't impressed by the employees, some of the rides, and the slow food lines. Though, I did go during Holiday at the Park. I missed out on the majority of the park. Going to give it another shot this summer.

I'll chime in a bit on this whole thing. Once upon a time I think SFA was deserving of all the bad views towards it. But I must say in the past 3 years I've been visiting the park semi frequently they are not as terrible as many make them out to be anymore. From my visits the staff have been friendlier and friendlier each year, and the park is doing little things around the park to clean up each year and it doesn't seem as run down as my first visit 6 years ago. My typical visit is for 1-3 hours somewhere between 4-6 times a year en route to visit relatives on a Sunday or Monday. Nothing ever has more than a few train wait and I agree that their OPs are slow, but based on my visits I've never seen a reason for them to need to have insanely fast ops. At this point outside of having a weak ride line up, I don't see SFA as that much worse than other Six Flags parks as far as Clientele, customer service, and over all experience goes anymore.

Edited by SuperShawn

I'll chime in a bit on this whole thing. Once upon a time I think SFA was deserving of all the bad views towards it. But I must say in the past 3 years I've been visiting the park semi frequently they are not as terrible as many make them out to be anymore. From my visits the staff have been friendlier and friendlier each year, and the park is doing little things around the park to clean up each year and it doesn't seem as run down as my first visit 6 years ago. My typical visit is for 1-3 hours somewhere between 4-6 times a year en route to visit relatives on a Sunday or Monday. Nothing ever has more than a few train wait and I agree that their OPs are slow, but based on my visits I've never seen a reason for them to need to have insanely fast ops. At this point outside of having a weak ride line up (I usually only ride Wild One, Superman and maybe one other coaster on a visit) , I don't see SFA as that much worse than other Six Flags parks as far as Clientele, customer service, and over all experience goes anymore.

Last sentence says it all, and is accurate.

Does Six Flags America have the same reride policy as SFGAdv?

I don't know, operations have always been so hilariously, mind-numingly terrible that I never had the opportunity to re-ride despite non existent crowds. Well... except on Roar but I wouldn't re-ride Roar if you paid me.

Did you ride it this season yet? Because when I went on it, it was so smooth I could ride it all day long if the operations weren't so slow (and if the stupid girl operating the ride didn't make us sit in the station for 20 minutes because they needed to call maintainence to get another stupid girl's phone from the track, when the right thing to do would be to tell her to come back at the end of the day and get it.) Seriously, that ride is my second favorite coaster in the park!

Appreciate the info, need the motivation! RoaR is one of the more unique rides there, compared to KD anyway.

While not the greatest park in the world, I think some people exagerate on how bad it actually is. We have been there a few times, and never had a bad time.

My thoughts, along with many others exactly.

I actually think locals overhype the park because they're judging it against itself and see it improving. They're 100% right, the park is improving but it's still terrible compared to other parks. I actually think non-locals are more objective because they're not judging the park against it's own reputation and seeing improvements (and they are improving so hats off to them), they're judging it against other parks in the area like Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens which completely blow this park to hell despite those improvements.

And I don't mean to go out of my way to hate on the park but if someone asks about visiting and you don't set their expectations accordingly you're almost being mean because these poor people will show up expecting a respectable amusement park and instead they'll have to spend the day at Six Flags America.

While not the greatest park in the world, I think some people exagerate on how bad it actually is. We have been there a few times, and never had a bad time.

My thoughts, along with many others exactly.

I actually think locals overhype the park because they're judging it against itself and see it improving. They're 100% right, the park is improving but it's still terrible compared to other parks. I actually think non-locals are more objective because they're not judging the park against it's own reputation and seeing improvements (and they are improving so hats off to them), they're judging it against other parks in the area like Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens which completely blow this park to hell despite those improvements.

And I don't mean to go out of my way to hate on the park but if someone asks about visiting and you don't set their expectations accordingly you're almost being mean because these poor people will show up expecting a respectable amusement park and instead they'll have to spend the day at Six Flags America.

SFA is in no way a terrible park compared to KD or BGW. Sure it isn't as good, but people that go there are still generally going to have a pretty good time.

SFA is in no way a terrible park compared to KD or BGW.

You can't be serious? Yes... yes it is. I mean... Busch Gardens Williamsburg? The most beautiful park in the country? The park with great rides, amazing atmosphere and great natural landscaping? Yes... a park with a bunch of crappy clones where they don't do any cosmetic maintenance ever in an open field with no theming or atmosphere to speak of is terrible compared to that park. And Kings Dominion puts it to shame too. Come on, if you don't think BGW blows SFA to hell then you're delusional. You're beyond delusional...

I generally find many of the comments about the people that work at the park and the people go to park are just covert racist ways to say there are too many black people at the park. Just my opinion.

Who's complaining about the clientele or the staff? I actually think the staff and the clientele are both fine at this park. The staff is probably even a step up from Great Adventure. I've complained about operations but that's because the park insists on running one train on everything and understaffing the rides. Your post it totally out of line.

Not liking terrible amusement parks doesn't make you a racist. What's wrong with you?

SFA is in no way a terrible park compared to KD or BGW.

You can't be serious? Yes... yes it is. I mean... Busch Gardens Williamsburg? The most beautiful park in the country? The park with great rides, amazing atmosphere and great natural landscaping? Yes... a park with a bunch of crappy clones where they don't do any cosmetic maintenance ever in an open field with no theming or atmosphere to speak of is terrible compared to that park. And Kings Dominion puts it to shame too. Come on, if you don't think BGW blows SFA to hell then you're delusional. You're beyond delusional...

I'm just saying that even though it's not that good it isn't terrible. Even though both KD and BGW are good enough to be in the top 10 parks in the US doesn't mean six flags America is bad. On a scale Kings Dominion might rank "Amazing" but sfa would probably rank "okay" and not terrible...

I don't know that I'd call Kings Dominion one of the top 10 parks in the U.S. but at least you acknowledge that the two parks aren't comparable at all. I don't care if you classify it as terrible or not. Personally I'd put it a step above Jolly Roger in Ocean City and Conneaut Lake and Lakemont so it could be worse

I always liked SFA when I went, it's such a convenient location in the metro area. The real shame is corporate isn't doing a ton more to bring it up to par and really capitalize on that; but SFA isn't a bad park, especially if you're there for coasters. Its collection blows VF out of the water for sure, clones and all. And the front half of the park is beautiful, the back needs a lot of work. But I'm sure it will get there in increments.

Personally I can't wait to see what they do for Holiday in the Park. If anyone can polish up this turd it's the guys from Oak Island Creative who they contract to do the lights.

By the time they're done with it I might actually like the place.

The funny thing is SFA would really only have to do a few minimal things to shake this reputation it has for being terrible (which I don't agree with - we had a fine time while we were there, tho I DO understand some of the gripes).

- RMC Roar. Either this or a custom-something-awesome. Out of 10 coasters they have only 3 that are good/great. The last major thing they put in they themed like gangbusters and its one of the worst coasters ever (do I dare mention its name?). Also, the last couple additions were relocations which doesn't help its reputation among enthusiasts - I know the GP could give a sh*t about this. But they need a new marquee coaster - Superman is 15+ yrs old, yes?

- New trains for Mind Eraser. I mean, I'd have no problem if they just scrapped it entirely for something else but they could improve the ride experience greatly by just getting the newer trains like Nor'easter at Morey's has.

- I had no issues with the staff - which since we're on the topic I noticed most staff were about 90% African American, if not more. I personally have absolutely no problem with that and in fact had completely positive interactions with all of the ops/staff but let's face it a good chunk of Americans are racist pieces of sh*t so no doubt this has an effect on peoples perception of the place. Maybe try hiring a wider mix of backgrounds? This is probably somehow illegal/discriminatory so I don't know how they'd really address this but it's most definitely something I noticed during my day at the park, and I'm sure if I was a racist piece of sh*t it would bother the hell out of me and lead me to either not return or tell all my racist friends not to go. Sucks it has to be that way but people are assholes.

- Plant some f*cking trees in the back of the park. It's just a giant open field after you pass Wild One with almost no shade whatsoever. The complaints about the lack of trees and bathrooms in Gotham are 100% accurate and warranted. It does not feel like a themepark back there - more like a local carnival set up on a high school football field.

Yeah Gotham is really the biggest problem with the park and its amplified by the fact that the best coasters in the park (minus Wild One) are all back there so it's where you spend the majority of your time. It's hilariously ugly back there.

^Bathrooms in Gotham City would be a MAJOR upgrade. I'd hate to be there if I had to piss on a busy day where the crowds are unmanageable and if it was hard to get around! As for RMC coming in, I really don't see that happening anytime soon. First of all, the park wouldn't receive an addition that large, and second of all, after all the work that has been done on Roar and the success it has had so far this season, it seems like the park is doing everything they can to NOT bring in RMC.

And if anyone tries to RMC Wild One, they're dead!

Who's complaining about the clientele or the staff? I actually think the staff and the clientele are both fine at this park. The staff is probably even a step up from Great Adventure. I've complained about operations but that's because the park insists on running one train on everything and understaffing the rides. Your post it totally out of line.

Not liking terrible amusement parks doesn't make you a racist. What's wrong with you?

To be clear my comment was a general comment. I did not expressly say anything you said was racist. I would never level an accusation like that on a message board against someone I've never met. Coasterbill I apologize that my generalized comment upset you and/or if you thought I was calling you a racist; again I was not.

I do wonder what people mean when they make reference to guest at the park. I'll give two examples

1. The Park Index page. I am not sure what makes the guest awful.

Cons

• Awful operations--and sometimes guests to match.

• Little shade from the blazing-hot summer sun.

Source: http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/park.php?pageid=45

2. A comment from this message board. I am not sure what "bad" means.

Again I said many, never said the totality, I stand by what I said. I have never called anyone out of their name and I have made no accusation that anyone was a racist.

To be clear my comment was a general comment. I did not expressly say anything you said was racist. I would never level an accusation like that on a message board against someone I've never met. Coasterbill I apologize that my generalized comment upset you and/or if you thought I was calling you a racist; again I was not.

I do wonder what people mean when they make reference to guest at the park. I'll give two examples

1. The Park Index page. I am not sure what makes the guest awful.

Cons

• Awful operations--and sometimes guests to match.

• Little shade from the blazing-hot summer sun.

Source: http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/park.php?pageid=45

2. A comment from this message board. I am not sure what "bad" means.

Again I said many, never said the totality, I stand by what I said. I have never called anyone out of their name and I have made no accusation that anyone was a racist.

Nothing to read into- "bad" was referring to various boards/news reports I've come across. I've never been to this park, so cannot speak to the diversity of who is hired and who goes there....a quick Google search, and what comes up right away are things like:

1) "The teen was punched twice and fell to the ground in the parking lot, striking his head on the concrete, family members said. They proceeded to beat him as he fell back and cracked his skull and was unconscious, they continued to beat him."

2) "Is it true that Six Flags in Largo is a ghetto park? Somebody told me not to go there. Thanks. Yes Six Flags is ghetto. There are lots of gang type people there. They cut in line, and generally make for a threatening unfriendly environment. They curse. You will hear profanity all day long."

3) "The 15-year-old Prince George’s County boy critically injured after fights erupted at Six Flags America on Saturday night may have been the victim of a brawl partly organized by teens on Twitter."

Perhaps these are isolated incidents that make the headlines in the news, thus shed bad light on this park, however- that's the reputation it seems to have gained.

I will go on record that "bad" clientele was to summarize what I've read- not intended to stir the pot/offend anyone. My initial post on the forum stated that I was enlighten to hear positives about this SF park....and that I may make a trip there to check it out. Let's leave it at that, and move on- as I don't want to get pulled down into anything else that is being posted, especially if some comments are being interpreted as racist. TY

No, I rode it 2 years ago and my experience was so bad I don't think I'd ever give it another chance. Gwazi was the only wood coaster I've ever ridden that was even close to being that bad. I think I actually preferred Son of Beast.

I rode Roar in the 2015 season and it was a very bad woodie (that's saying it nicely), but it was a totally different experience in 2016. When you get back to the park ( hopefully before they RMC it ) I would give Roar another chance. Coasters are just like us, they change.

The funny thing is SFA would really only have to do a few minimal things to shake this reputation it has for being terrible (which I don't agree with - we had a fine time while we were there, tho I DO understand some of the gripes).

- RMC Roar. Either this or a custom-something-awesome. Out of 10 coasters they have only 3 that are good/great. The last major thing they put in they themed like gangbusters and its one of the worst coasters ever (do I dare mention its name?). Also, the last couple additions were relocations which doesn't help its reputation among enthusiasts - I know the GP could give a sh*t about this. But they need a new marquee coaster - Superman is 15+ yrs old, yes?

- New trains for Mind Eraser. I mean, I'd have no problem if they just scrapped it entirely for something else but they could improve the ride experience greatly by just getting the newer trains like Nor'easter at Morey's has.

- I had no issues with the staff - which since we're on the topic I noticed most staff were about 90% African American, if not more. I personally have absolutely no problem with that and in fact had completely positive interactions with all of the ops/staff but let's face it a good chunk of Americans are racist pieces of sh*t so no doubt this has an effect on peoples perception of the place. Maybe try hiring a wider mix of backgrounds? This is probably somehow illegal/discriminatory so I don't know how they'd really address this but it's most definitely something I noticed during my day at the park, and I'm sure if I was a racist piece of sh*t it would bother the hell out of me and lead me to either not return or tell all my racist friends not to go. Sucks it has to be that way but people are assholes.

- Plant some f*cking trees in the back of the park. It's just a giant open field after you pass Wild One with almost no shade whatsoever. The complaints about the lack of trees and bathrooms in Gotham are 100% accurate and warranted. It does not feel like a themepark back there - more like a local carnival set up on a high school football field.

I remember when you went. You gave it a honest, AND, accurate assessment. In my opinion, anyone who calls the park 'bad', has forgotten what the experience is all about. Yes, I consider myself an enthusiast, but not just coasters. I'm getting all the damn SFMM and SFGAdv credits this year!! Hold me to it!!! I'm even going hard and doing the marathon Wild One celebration (ride 99 times in a row: I've already signed up)

Anyway, I take everything into consideration. Water park if a park has one, coaster selection, employees (big one), shows, etc. In my opinion, not including Apocalypse (the ride needs to experience the Apocalypse, and be destroyed), the coasters are 'fun'. Roar and Superman are an extra hoot this year! Take Gotham out of the mix for a second. I do not care what anyone says, SFA theming sections tops KD. I see a lot of, well Gothams theming is bad, but hear very little about the rest of the park's sections which are great. Looking forward to when they square away Gotham, and the trees they just planted get a little more height.

Back to the staff. I could have sat around for 30 minutes listening to the guy running the game to win a cape. He was hilarious. A great many of the staff are like him. Fun times. Let's not forget the unprecedented Brass Ring 3 time nominee and winning entertainment staff/shows.

An earlier post stated that most of the people boosting/liking the park live close. That's both accurate and inaccurate. I've seen many posts about how folks traveled to DC and visited SFA, "and was surprised",etc, etc. Their trip advisor score has definitely went up.

BTW, is there any SF park that gets out food quick? SFA hired a pro this year to run food ops. Only time will tell.