TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I'm going to the park for the first time tomorrow. I'm there for an ACE event with Superman ERT. There is apparently supposed to be a VR "Demo" for the event. I'm not sure if this means the VR will be an option during the ERT, if they will give us the headsets without riding it, or if it will be limited to a few people, or what. Is anyone going tomorrow, and does anyone have any tips? I'll post a written, non-photo trip report probably on Sunday to tell everyone how it was and what the deal is with the VR demo. If I get a chance to try it, I'll report on how it was!

I'm going to the park for the first time tomorrow. I'm there for an ACE event with Superman ERT. There is apparently supposed to be a VR "Demo" for the event. I'm not sure if this means the VR will be an option during the ERT, if they will give us the headsets without riding it, or if it will be limited to a few people, or what. Is anyone going tomorrow, and does anyone have any tips? I'll post a written, non-photo trip report probably on Sunday to tell everyone how it was and what the deal is with the VR demo. If I get a chance to try it, I'll report on how it was!

I will be there aswell. I am very excited to try out the newly refurbished trains on Superman (maybe with VR headsets?) and to see if Roar is running any better after some retracking over the offseason. It should be a great day!

Roar is running better than it has in a LONG time. You will notice that Superman runs smoother, and does not lose some of its punch in the second helix. Others that have come with me confirm this, as I wasn't sure if it were just me.

That's great news! Have you tried out Chop Six and if so how was the food?

Yup. The first day, the noodles were TOO salty. The second time I tried it, it was way better. The teriyaki chicken was great. The orange chicken left a little to be desired. Maybe it'll be better next time. The steamed rice was good. I'm going to try the fried rice next time. Still haven't tried the cheesecake egg roll.

I may have expected too much with the orange chicken. I'm used to big chunks of chicken from my Chinese place. These are a little on the small end and a little over-fried. Hopefully they will square it away soon. I'll tell you what was good; the steak sandwich at Gator McGee's!

I took my first trip to Six Flags America yesterday, and I was very surprised! The park looked very nice and clean, and the employees were very polite and nice. The park was empty because of the weather, so the one-train operations didn't affect anything. I was there for the Jeepers it's Spring event, so I saw some presentations, a backstage tour of Superman, and Superman ERT at night! Here are the rides I did:

Batwing x 2, front and second-to-last rows - This ride is very smooth for a Vekoma! It was like Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFGAd, but more fun in my opinion! On my second ride, there was some kind of power-outage I think, so I was stuck on the ride for 20 minutes. But it was still fun!

Wild one x 5, front row three times, and back row twice - WOW! What an awesome ride! It's running really smoothly and fast, and there are some KILLER moments of airtime! This is by far the best ride in the park, and also the laterals and helix are awesome!!! Classic ride.

Ragin' Cajun x 1 - Just a regular spinning mouse. It's okay, but it's certainly no Exterminator.

Voodoo Drop x 1 - Good drop tower! A lot of fun.

French Quarter Flyers x 1 - It didn't snap because it's a Larson, but all flyers are still fun!

Superman: Ride of Steel x 7 second row five times, back two rows once each. - The trains are pretty bad. The leg/ankle restraints are painful, there is not enough leg room, and the lap bar is a bit uncomfortable. The seat belts are also too short. My dad couldn't ride because he couldn't get the seat belt on, even though the lap bar fit fine on him! I was almost rejected for being too fat on the second ride because of the seat belt, even though I can easily fit on literally every other ride, including the infamous Superman/Bizarro trains at SFNE. But I could get on fine. The ride is fast and fun with a lot of airtime, and the big helices are awesome! I eventually found a good way to sit in the train. You keep your feet on your toes, not flat on the ground, then you move your feet to the edge of the leg restraints, so there is less pressure in one spot. So yeah, the night ERT was awesome and I got to ride four times in a row at one point without getting off. This is probably my third favorite ride in the park.

Joker's Jinx x 2 front row and second-to-last row - Fun coaster! It's not that intense, but it is just really fun. It has to be re-painted though!

Riddle Me This x 1 - I'm a big fan of round-up rides, so this was so adorable! It's just a mini round-up, but it still has some good forces! I think this ride would be good at other small parks like this. And I could easily see one of these at a park like Quassy. This ride is just so cute I want to cuddle with it!

Rodeo x 1 - This is like a mini break dance! It was surprisingly fun and forceful. Cool ride!

Roar x 3 front row every time - Another hidden gem! The re-tracking has helped a lot, since it feels like a brand-new coaster! It really feels like it was built this season! There are a few good airtime moments, the twisty turns are just so much fun, and I love the tunnel section! It's not intense at all by any means, but it is just super fun and addicting! This was my second favorite ride in the park.

So I had a great visit! Never in a million years would I expect a Six Flags park to take such good care of their wooden coasters. In fact, I thought the two woodies were the best rides in the park! This park has a bad reputation, but I didn't find it "ghetto" or "crappy" at all! The operations left a LOT to be desired, but the park was empty so it didn't matter! I wouldn't plan on going back anytime soon because it's a little bit far from my house and it's kind of small and I did everything I wanted to ride. But I had a great time! Hell, the trip was worth it for Wild One alone! Also, DO NOT MISS ROAR IT IS SO SMOOTH!

I took my first trip to Six Flags America yesterday, and I was very surprised! The park looked very nice and clean, and the employees were very polite and nice. The park was empty because of the weather, so the one-train operations didn't affect anything. I was there for the Jeepers it's Spring event, so I saw some presentations, a backstage tour of Superman, and Superman ERT at night!

Did they have the VR running on Superman? Wild One and Superman are hands down the best rides in the park! Everyone is always so surprised Wild One packs a great punch since it's unassuming. Joker's Jinx has a fun launch and usually the best operations in the park. I wasn't planning on heading over there until the fall but hearing that Roar is running so well has me rethinking that... The park used to have, um, a seedier crowd and really was run down. (Putting that lightly!!) They've made a huge turnaround in appearances and workers the last 4-5 years and the type of visitors attending has improved with that. I definitely feel safe being there these days and their water park is awesome! Glad you had a great time

No, VR was not running, but we got to test both VR experiences like The New Revolution and the Superman experience. Rick said that they expect VR to open the first or second week of June. Also, Roar and Superman were definitely running better this year then they did last year.

I took my first trip to Six Flags America yesterday, and I was very surprised! The park looked very nice and clean, and the employees were very polite and nice. The park was empty because of the weather, so the one-train operations didn't affect anything. I was there for the Jeepers it's Spring event, so I saw some presentations, a backstage tour of Superman, and Superman ERT at night! Here are the rides I did:

Batwing x 2, front and second-to-last rows - This ride is very smooth for a Vekoma! It was like Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFGAd, but more fun in my opinion! On my second ride, there was some kind of power-outage I think, so I was stuck on the ride for 20 minutes. But it was still fun!

Wild one x 5, front row three times, and back row twice - WOW! What an awesome ride! It's running really smoothly and fast, and there are some KILLER moments of airtime! This is by far the best ride in the park, and also the laterals and helix are awesome!!! Classic ride.

Ragin' Cajun x 1 - Just a regular spinning mouse. It's okay, but it's certainly no Exterminator.

Voodoo Drop x 1 - Good drop tower! A lot of fun.

French Quarter Flyers x 1 - It didn't snap because it's a Larson, but all flyers are still fun!

Superman: Ride of Steel x 7 second row five times, back two rows once each. - The trains are pretty bad. The leg/ankle restraints are painful, there is not enough leg room, and the lap bar is a bit uncomfortable. The seat belts are also too short. My dad couldn't ride because he couldn't get the seat belt on, even though the lap bar fit fine on him! I was almost rejected for being too fat on the second ride because of the seat belt, even though I can easily fit on literally every other ride, including the infamous Superman/Bizarro trains at SFNE. But I could get on fine. The ride is fast and fun with a lot of airtime, and the big helices are awesome! I eventually found a good way to sit in the train. You keep your feet on your toes, not flat on the ground, then you move your feet to the edge of the leg restraints, so there is less pressure in one spot. So yeah, the night ERT was awesome and I got to ride four times in a row at one point without getting off. This is probably my third favorite ride in the park.

Joker's Jinx x 2 front row and second-to-last row - Fun coaster! It's not that intense, but it is just really fun. It has to be re-painted though!

Riddle Me This x 1 - I'm a big fan of round-up rides, so this was so adorable! It's just a mini round-up, but it still has some good forces! I think this ride would be good at other small parks like this. And I could easily see one of these at a park like Quassy. This ride is just so cute I want to cuddle with it!

Rodeo x 1 - This is like a mini break dance! It was surprisingly fun and forceful. Cool ride!

Roar x 3 front row every time - Another hidden gem! The re-tracking has helped a lot, since it feels like a brand-new coaster! It really feels like it was built this season! There are a few good airtime moments, the twisty turns are just so much fun, and I love the tunnel section! It's not intense at all by any means, but it is just super fun and addicting! This was my second favorite ride in the park.

So I had a great visit! Never in a million years would I expect a Six Flags park to take such good care of their wooden coasters. In fact, I thought the two woodies were the best rides in the park! This park has a bad reputation, but I didn't find it "ghetto" or "crappy" at all! The operations left a LOT to be desired, but the park was empty so it didn't matter! I wouldn't plan on going back anytime soon because it's a little bit far from my house and it's kind of small and I did everything I wanted to ride. But I had a great time! Hell, the trip was worth it for Wild One alone! Also, DO NOT MISS ROAR IT IS SO SMOOTH!

Excellent. This is what me and a couple of others have been saying for a while. Lol,..told you about Roar and Superman. They run like new. I agree on the Superman trains. They did some retracting on Wild Ones helix; makes a great difference in an already awesome part.

I hear you on Voodoo drop. It gets criticized for being to small, and rightfully so. Though, I think it's one of the more intense drops that I have felt.

Oh yeah, ops always needs help here. Hopefully, it'll come together as the year goes on. Already looking forward to the water park.

Never bothered to take the 3 hour drive south- perhaps it would be worth a quick visit at some point this year.......

Come on down. You will not be mad.

I was pretty pissed...

In all seriousness if you've gone that far just drive a little further and go to King's Dominion.

Never bothered to take the 3 hour drive south- perhaps it would be worth a quick visit at some point this year.......

I don't think SFA is worth a special trip or a 3 hour drive! If you were heading down I-95 south anyway (like to KD or BGW), it is worth a stopover to ride Superman, Wild One, and even Roar! On a non-crowded day you can ride all of the coasters in a couple of hours.

I will agree Superman and Roar are vastly improved this year! I used to hate Roar and hadn't ridden it in a few years. I gave it another try this past weekend and was presently surprised! Superman was giving greats rides as well! I will go back and ride Superman with the VR this summer and I will probably check out Holiday in the Park in December. So I guess Six Flags is doing something right, because even though this park is 30 minutes from my house, in a typically year I would maybe go there once. This year I might hit the park 3 times!

I love this park! It has come such a long way in the past 5 years. However, I am also partial because its my home park. If you can get past the ghetto guest and crappy staff its not a bad park at the heart of it. For being such a small park they have a lot of coasters. Superman is still the big hitter at the park - the typical guests still talk about it like its new. Silly guest never been to parks in other states lol Wild One is such a great coaster! Even after they butchered it when they put in the now defunct Skull Mountain. The double down and the helix are the best parts in my opinion. Roar is such a fun coaster. Yes, its kinda rough but I do not mind. For being the age it is the Mind Eraser still runs pretty well. If only they would get the trains the one in Wildwood has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Batwing is a fun coaster when its running right and the line is not long due to one train operation and it breaking every five minutes. Their spinning mouse is not the best but its a fun family coaster that was desperately needed in this park.

What could potentially help this park is finding and holding onto staff that actually wants to work there. I know its hard being right outside the bad parts of DC. Also, they need to fill a lot of the holes that have been created when taking out flats - we lost the Tilt A Whirl, Iron Eagle, Enterprise, Flying Bobs, Krypton Comet (Chaos), Octopus, and Skull Mountain (Apocalypses filled its place). They also should really do a over haul of the river rapids ride. I still ride it every year and it NEVER soaks me. Sometimes, I barely get wet at all. It needs waterfalls and things like that.

Locals will tell you that the park is improving and it is, but they're judging it against it's own horrible reputation. If you're judging it against basically any other major park in existence it's still terrible.

Go to King's Dominion and/or Busch Gardens and hit it for a few hours on the way back. If you make a special trip you'll be pretty pissed.

Locals will tell you that the park is improving and it is, but they're judging it against it's own horrible reputation. If you're judging it against basically any other major park in existence it's still terrible.

Go to King's Dominion and/or Busch Gardens and hit it for a few hours on the way back. If you make a special trip you'll be pretty pissed.

Its really not though....

I made a trip down there last year for a SFA, KD, Busch trip and I was very impressed with SFA.

-The roller coaster selection is pretty good.

-Superman, Batwing, Wild one and Joker's Jinx were awesome

-Rajun Cajun and mind eraser were just okay

- The only terrible one being Apocalypse

Roar wasn't even open and with the responses I have been hearing about it this year, I missed out.

The park appearance was very nice, main street, western area and New Orleans being very clean, updated a nice for a six flags park. Gotham could use some work but even that wasn't bad.

The employees were the best Six Flags employees that I've ever seen. They were all friendly, funny and upbeat. I had been hearing that they've been improving but wasn't expecting them to be as good as they actually were.

They also have a very nice selection of flats for a park their size and an AWESOME water park.

Don't be scared away by him, Six Flags America is nowhere near terrible. I would recommend a stop if you were in the area or on the way to KD and Busch.

Don't be scared away by him, Six Flags America is nowhere near terrible. I would recommend a stop if you were in the area or on the way to KD and Busch.

This is exactly what I just said.

Also Mind Eraser, Roar and Gotham City's appearance are all horrendous. Come on now... let me know one themed or unthemed area in any park in America uglier than Gotham City at SFA. Besides everything at Lakemont Park and Conneaut Lake I'm struggling, and those parks don't have nearly the budget that Six Flags has. I'm pretty sure both parks have a combined maintenance budget of eight dollars.

This is exactly what I just said.

Also Mind Eraser, Roar and Gotham City's appearance are all horrendous. Come on now... let me know one themed or unthemed area in any park in America uglier than Gotham City at SFA. Besides everything at Lakemont Park and Conneaut Lake I'm struggling, and those parks don't have nearly the budget that Six Flags has. I'm pretty sure both parks have a combined maintenance budget of eight dollars.

I think Lakemont might actually be nicer than SFA's Gotham City! But the rest of the park looks pretty good, with decent facades, good landscaping, and a little theming here and there. But you can still tell it's a Six Flags park.

Does Six Flags America have the same reride policy as SFGAdv?

I don't know, operations have always been so hilariously, mind-numingly terrible that I never had the opportunity to re-ride despite non existent crowds. Well... except on Roar but I wouldn't re-ride Roar if you paid me.

So for me, this park is like "Friday the 13th- Part 52".....you knew it would suck, but had to see it anyway!

I've hit all the major parks on the East Coast, and TOTALLY agree that the VA area and south is the place to be- SFA is more about that fact that I've never been, have a SFGA season pass, and like "Friday the 13th- Part 52".....I know it sucks, but I have to see it anyway!

Trust me- I'm not going out of my way to get there, based upon all the crappy posts I've read- starting with the "bad" crowd that comes here, lousy staff, etc....I think you get the picture!

Does Six Flags America have the same reride policy as SFGAdv?

I don't know, operations have always been so hilariously, mind-numingly terrible that I never had the opportunity to re-ride despite non existent crowds. Well... except on Roar but I wouldn't re-ride Roar if you paid me.

Did you ride it this season yet? Because when I went on it, it was so smooth I could ride it all day long if the operations weren't so slow (and if the stupid girl operating the ride didn't make us sit in the station for 20 minutes because they needed to call maintainence to get another stupid girl's phone from the track, when the right thing to do would be to tell her to come back at the end of the day and get it.) Seriously, that ride is my second favorite coaster in the park!

No, I rode it 2 years ago and my experience was so bad I don't think I'd ever give it another chance. Gwazi was the only wood coaster I've ever ridden that was even close to being that bad. I think I actually preferred Son of Beast.