TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

^^Agreed. It seems to me that it would be relatively cheap at this point to convert Roar, because the designs have already been drafted for SFDK. There are some minor differences, but most of the design should be the same - and an RMC makeover on the cheap is exactly the kind of 'new' coaster (not from scratch, but not another relocation) that SFA could invest in.

^ Roar is pretty rough, its one of my lowest rated woodies and one of my least favorite in that park, which is saying something considering it shares the park with Apocalypse and Mine Eraser. Not to mention there is a 98 year old amazing woodie right next to it. I would absolutely welcome an RMC overhaul for Roar.

I wonder if it does get RMC if it will be a clone of The Joker, or if SF will have RMC do a different layout with it? I'm sure a clone would be the route they would take, but it would be cool to see what else RMC could do to it.

Regardless this park absolutely needs something big in 2017. If what they built in 2014 is the best they can do for a "major" investment then Six Flags needs to part ways because they're seriously limiting the park's potential. As a whole it's way better than it was in 2010 or so but they've spent no money at all and attendance hasn't picked up to show any considerable results (from what I've observed/heard).

I hope the rumors of a Wild One refurbishment are true, but in addition to something more significant, or in 2018 for its 100th anniversary, not 100th year, after a new coatser in '17.

^^-- they certainly ought to; I think it could actually work at getting some interest in the park. I overheard some people joking about SFA and they said something like they'd changed the park name 10 times since they got any new rides .

Roar is my favorite coaster in the park by a small margin. It's definitely the most unique ~rideable thing they have compared to anything at KD or BGW. It does have a few horribly rough spots near the beginning and otherwise could do with maybe 6 inches more height at the top of the lift hill all else equal, to push it a little more out of control and you out of your seat.

Looking at making a final visit of the year on Sunday. I'm not renewing my pass next year so I'll probably stay until closing with some friends, arriving early afternoon.

Have they been running two trains on most coasters? Are the houses worth waiting/paying for? Speaking of, how much are the houses this year for season pass holders?

I did them last year and they were okay at best... I'm assuming they're basically the same this year, sans the one new house.

If you've gone to Fright Fest this year let me know how thought it was.

Looking at making a final visit of the year on Sunday. I'm not renewing my pass next year so I'll probably stay until closing with some friends, arriving early afternoon.

Have they been running two trains on most coasters? Are the houses worth waiting/paying for? Speaking of, how much are the houses this year for season pass holders?

I did them last year and they were okay at best... I'm assuming they're basically the same this year, sans the one new house.

If you've gone to Fright Fest this year let me know how thought it was.

Pg. 473 of this thread has a pretty lengthy review of many of the houses and scare zones. Check it out.

Just got back from the park for its closing day. Didn't end up doing any of the houses because we could tell it was going to be busy and we didn't feel like staying late enough to finish all the houses. Since I've never really left my opinion on all the coasters I'll put my ride count down below.

All in all, a pretty good, quick visit and the park looked good, other than operations.

Roar (1x): The parts that have been recently retracked are bearable, but the rest of the ride shuffles a lot and isn't enjoyable. The parts that are bearable are pretty uneventful and the ride completely lacks in the airtime department. It's good enough for one ride per visit but definitely would benefit from either a major overhaul/reprofiling or a full out I-box conversion. This ride needs it.

Overall, 3/10.

Apocalypse (1x): The ride is very visually appealing and was obviously meant to be the big kick to try to get this park back into shape. Well... that didn't work. The ride sucks and there's nothing I could say that hasn't already been beaten to death. Even after learning how to ride defensively and position the seat properly, some headbanging is inevitable. I wish Six Flags would consider floorless trains but it garners as much a line as any other coaster in the same general category at the park so I don't see it happening.

Overall, 3/10.

Mind Eraser (0x today): There's a reason we didn't ride this one today. In fact, I didn't even point the ride out to the rest of our party. The layout is really fun which is almost unfortunate because the ride is just so, so horrible. New trains could save this ride (I'll be giving T3 a shot next June) but as it is this ride is the worst in the park.

Overall, 2/10.

Wild One (1x): While it could use some work in some places and a fresh coat of paint, this is definitely one of the better classic wooden coasters in the Six Flags chain, and certainly the better of the two woodies in the park. There's quite a bit of nice floater airtime to be had here, and while it's no El Toro, it's a respectable ride with a surprisingly intense helix.

Overall, 7/10.

Joker's Jinx (1x): The launch isn't extremely forceful on this version compared to Flight of Fear, but it's a coaster with inversions and no head banging, which is definitely a plus at this park. The launch is over-the-top loud in the tunnel, but not in a good way like B&M's are. There are a few fun, forceful transitions in the second half of the layout which benefits from the lack of a mid-course, and the corkscrew in pretty snappy. The track could use some paint though.

Overall, 6.5/10.

Batwing (1x): I usually ride this once a visit, and that ride was delayed to the evening due to some technical difficulties in the afternoon. That was probably the best thing that happened today because with the absurdly slow one train operations it was almost pitch black by the time out train rolled out. It delivered a smoother ride than usual today and the loop is up there with the pretzel loop on its B&M counterpart. Sans for some pathetic capacity and sketchy restraints, I enjoy this ride.

Overall, 6.5/10.

Superman (2x): I've said it before and I'll say it again, this ride is huge waste of potential from an awesome Intamin Megacoaster. Despite that, it's still a pretty good ride. The drop is okay in the back (which is where I always ride) but underwhelming anywhere else. The first airtime hill is mediocre anywhere on the train, and both helices serve the purpose of going fast and turning around. Nothing else. I'm still baffled by the straightaway (I get it at Darien Lake but here...), though it leads into an above average ejector hill. The final bunny hops are very good, stronger air than the B&M hyper finales. Even though it's my favorite ride in the park, the ride is still a stupid waste of track for half of the ride and compared to Millennium Force (which I'm a big fan of) it's just so underwhelming and hard to believe they're from the same year. It's good that it's at this park because it makes the other mediocre coasters worth riding once. Imagine if New England's superhero coaster were at this park. Everything else would look like, well, what it is. Lol

Overall, 7.5/10.

Ragin Cajun (0x today): The rest of my group didn't feel like riding anything spinning, so we skipped out on this one. It's pretty straightforward, but I enjoy this ride. The spinning (in my opinion) isn't too ridiculous to make me sick, and it was definitely something the park needed. It always has some sort of line so you can tell it was a good move to take it from Great America. I can't really rate it because it's not trying to be a thrilling coaster, but purely based on enjoyment...

Overall, 5/10.

We also ride the flyers once (they thought I was crazy for wanting to ride this but their minds were blown over how much fun there are), and skipped the drop pole (I have a hard time calling this a drop "tower", sorry). Bourbon Street Fireball makes me feel nauseous sometimes so I don't bother riding it anymore so we skipped that as well.

I'm not renewing my pass for 2016 because I've pretty much enjoyed what the park has as much as possible and I don't really care about a new water structure, but the park is making strides and I've had a lot of good memories going to this park the last four years. As a side note, this was the first time I've ever had to park in the second lot which was almost full. I didn't even know this park had a third lot, but I really hope they'd run two trains if it ever gets that full.

image.thumb.jpg.3db67cd730d3f18b8cfcfa77dc40f31e.jpg

Waiting for round two on Superman

image.thumb.jpg.c5b840468cae5e326813481a835f9d30.jpg

The park had more Fright Fest props than I remember last year. This one was especially cool and weird.

Apocalypse (1x): The ride is very visually appealing and was obviously meant to be the big kick to try to get this park back into shape. Well... that didn't work. The ride sucks and there's nothing I could say that hasn't already been beaten to death. Even after learning how to ride defensively and position the seat properly, some headbanging is inevitable. I wish Six Flags would consider floorless trains but it garners as much a line as any other coaster in the same general category at the park so I don't see it happening.

Overall, 3/10.

Mind Eraser (0x today): There's a reason we didn't ride this one today. In fact, I didn't even point the ride out to the rest of our party. The layout is really fun which is almost unfortunate because the ride is just so, so horrible. New trains could save this ride (I'll be giving T3 a shot next June) but as it is this ride is the worst in the park.

Overall, 2/10.

Superman (2x): I've said it before and I'll say it again, this ride is huge waste of potential from an awesome Intamin Megacoaster. Despite that, it's still a pretty good ride. The drop is okay in the back (which is where I always ride) but underwhelming anywhere else. The first airtime hill is mediocre anywhere on the train, and both helices serve the purpose of going fast and turning around. Nothing else. I'm still baffled by the straightaway (I get it at Darien Lake but here...), though it leads into an above average ejector hill. The final bunny hops are very good, stronger air than the B&M hyper finales. Even though it's my favorite ride in the park, the ride is still a stupid waste of track for half of the ride and compared to Millennium Force (which I'm a big fan of) it's just so underwhelming and hard to believe they're from the same year. It's good that it's at this park because it makes the other mediocre coasters worth riding once. Imagine if New England's superhero coaster were at this park. Everything else would look like, well, what it is. Lol

Overall, 7.5/10.

I think SFA would be better if they sold Apocalypse for scrap and used the money to buy new trains for Mind Eraser and reprofiling S:ROS's mid-section;I myself have always loved the ride,but if they replaced the first helix and that pointless straightaway,it could out-do Apollo's Chariot.

• 2 weeks later...