TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Here's my TR from today!Note that I had very limited time, and I managed to do all this in less than 2 hours!

Six Flags America Ride Count:

ROAR! : x1

Apocalypse: x1

Wild One: x1

Superman Ride Of Steel: x1

We arrived at the park on the way back from VA for a very quick stop. I decided to go on ROAR! since it's clone at SFDK is being RMC'd so I'd know the layout firsthand.The park was pretty empty so there was no line at all. Aside from the PTC's and the ride ops not allowing you to push down your own lapbar, I saw nothing that was *that* bad about it. It had some speed, some decent airtime, and great lats. Overall: 6.25/10 Dispatches: Slow

After that it was time to experience some history by going on Apocalypse, B&M's first coaster. The trains were really different,but everything else was largely the same. The ride op put my restraint too tight so it was painful on my collerbone. It's not *too rough* with not that much headbanging, and the positive g's aren't enough to really hurt your feet/legs like the newer ones. The corkscrew and S-hill were atrocious though (for B&M's standards at least) Overall: 6.5/10 Dispatches: Very slow

I was taking a liking to wooden coasters so we went on Wild One next. No line at all, and it had some pretty good airtime. The double up/down were a bit forceless though. The lats were crazy, and the unusual seat divider on PTC's were really useful. Overall: 5/10 Dispatches: Very slow

I was running out of time and I knew I had to get my ride on Superman: Ride of Steel, the main reason I came. It was only a station wait but the 15 minute dispatches combined with the 1 train ops made it 45 minutes. Since I was already late, I just rode the row with the shortest wait which was the third row. This ride is severely underrated. The first drop was actually great, the helixes had a great of mix of positives and laterels. The first airtime hill didn't have too much air, but every airtime hill after that delivered ejector air. The straightway didn't detract from the ride at all, but didn't really add much to it. It felt sort of pointless. Overall: 8/10 Dispatches: Ridiculously slow

After that we headed out, stopping by the bridge over the giant flume, getting soaked despite only being on the stairs. This park has a really nice, friendly environment, and though the park was empty I feel that a great, knockout coaster will bring this park back to glory

The park itself is very hidden and doesn't have a lot showing you that there is a park nearby, unlike Kings Dominion where you can see it right off I-95 which is a much superior advertisement.

I don't think there's anything on the highway, at least coming from the south, but there used to be back when they were more crowded and less good (coincidence?). Once you exit there's a sign you're going the right way, which at first is like thanks for nothing, but after about 10 minutes of driving that sign becomes a real good thing.

If SFA Roar does get the Millennium Flyers from SFDK I wonder how much, if at all, it would improve the ride? When the put them on Gwazi it did not improve that coaster at all (or so I've read, as I did not experience it with the flyers).

^I actually thought that they helped Gwazi (and Wildcat) quite a bit, at least at first. They're not a miracle cure, and it's up to the park to keep up with their off-season maintenance - I think that's where Six Flags actually does a good job with Roar, so I think those Flyers could really work out well for a few years.

^I actually thought that they helped Gwazi (and Wildcat) quite a bit, at least at first. They're not a miracle cure, and it's up to the park to keep up with their off-season maintenance - I think that's where Six Flags actually does a good job with Roar, so I think those Flyers could really work out well for a few years.

Six Flags really has worked miracles with Roar over the past few offseasons. This year, it's been genuinely enjoyable for more than half the rides I've had on it. I think Millennium Flyers plus a little bit more retracking in a few spots would be perfect.

While we're talking new trains, how about some for Superman and Mind Eraser? Both of those could be far better with newer trains/restraint systems.

Six Flags really has worked miracles with Roar over the past few offseasons. This year, it's been genuinely enjoyable for more than half the rides I've had on it. I think Millennium Flyers plus a little bit more retracking in a few spots would be perfect.

While we're talking new trains, how about some for Superman and Mind Eraser? Both of those could be far better with newer trains/restraint systems.

I agree with this, especially with mind eraser.

My impression is Millenium Flyers make all rows equal. The wheel seats are gone, but the non-wheel seats are actually slightly worse, because the row behind you doesn't take most of the punishment. The real thing to do with them is use them before the track is damaged by PTCs.

As to Roar, love it.

If it's a nice day with no threat for rain, the lines can be long, especially the Bonzai Pipelines. Can u get at least one slide per slide by 5? Maybe, but you may need more time if you want to do 'every' slide (all 6 on Bonzai, all 4 on Zoomazon Falls, both sharks, etc). Too me, no slide over there should be missed. I like them all, and they never get old. Well, the one in the pool (lazy river pool) can be missed. I'm looking forward to your comments on Bonzai and the shark slides! Try your best not to let go of the tube In the reef runner. There are some turns in there where it feels like that you are going to go upside down, but will not! To get your best (more fun) ride on the big purple/green slide that sits 4 people, sit so you are going backwards; good times. Sucks carrying the raft up the stairs though.

If you want to crap your pants, Tornado , Bonzai, and maybe the Orange shark slide is your poison Have a good time. I love the water park. I actually may be there Sunday too. If I were you I would do it first. When the park first opens, lines are not that bad for the first hour or so.

One word of caution on Bonzai. I think it's the Orange slide that has some kind of ripple in the middle. You'll get a slight hit on the back of the head. It shouldn't hurt really, but it'll be a surprise. Also, 'HOLD' your nose closed! You'll see what I mean. Have fun watching people walk back down the stairs once they see people drop down the tubes.

Thanks again for the words of advice--our visit Sunday went very smoothly. We had no problem processing the SP for a friend under the name of the purchaser, if you were wondering, and got the other two in for $30 each.

We got into the water park first thing at 11, and quickly rode Tornado, the Shark slides, Bonzai, Zoomazon Falls, Halfpipe, as well as the two slides past Tornado (don't remembee the names off the top of my head). Our favoties were Tornado and the slides nearby. I enjoyed Bonzai (and didn't wait at all), but it was just so short and jarring that it wasn't quite as fun as the others IMO.

Overall, we really enjoyed the waterpark. I would consider going back this summer on a day as hot as Sunday (100 degrees), but I'm not in a huge rush to get back. If the 2016 expansion includes a new slide or slide complex I'll definitely go back next summer, though the cleared area doesn't look big enough for a kiddie area and a major addition.

After this, we decided to ride some of the coasters for a couple hours. Since they had never been, we rode Wild One, Superman, Jokers Jinx, and Mind Eraser (we were nearby after riding the Rapids, not my choice). We also waited on the bridge of Shipwreck falls because the line was probably almost 30 minutes long which is insane for a shoot the chutes ride.

Most of the coasters had station waits or shorter which wasn't bad at all for a Sunday. Superman was only running one train which is questionable for a Sunday with a line just outside the station, though.

A fun visit overall and the park looked very clean and moderately busy, though more concentrated in the water park. I'm excited to see the 2016 additions and I hope I'm not disappointed after a small investment for 2015.

Has your guys' Superman been running a little rough this year as well? At Darien Lake, I think that this year the ride has felt a little bumpier and rattily; although I usually ride in the back. Seeing that these were the first Intamin hypercoasters built, the trains could either use major refurb, or new ones altogether.

If anything, I would like to see the trains go away with the current restraints, as my legs always bash against the side brackets.

Has your guys' Superman been running a little rough this year as well? At Darien Lake, I think that this year the ride has felt a little bumpier and rattily; although I usually ride in the back. Seeing that these were the first Intamin hypercoasters built, the trains could either use major refurb, or new ones altogether.

If anything, I would like to see the trains go away with the current restraints, as my legs always bash against the side brackets.

Ive ridden Superman twice this season and it was honestly pretty good. Although this was my first time riding it since 2013. However I feel like superman is starting to creep up the lifthill very slow now.

Ive ridden Superman twice this season and it was honestly pretty good. Although this was my first time riding it since 2013. However I feel like superman is starting to creep up the lifthill very slow now.

They actually sped up the lift chain considerably around Fright Fest 2014, and I believe it is still running at that faster speed. Even still it's an old Intamin hyper and the lift is still nowhere near the speed of their modern cable lifts. It used to be far worse though.

In 2011, we had a chain issue that put the ride down for the last leg of the season. This was the same year that the rider was ejected. So we were out of our star attraction for basically the whole year.

The part that failed was custom and took a long time to manufacture, so its possible that SFA is trying to put as little stress as possible on their chain until they can get a backup or replace it altogether in the offseason.

Hopefully along with the waterpark expansion, sfa decides to put in a new flat ride or some retheming or improvements to the sections in the park. I would even like to see Joker's Jinx backwards (if thats possible).