TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Just to elaborate, I've ridden Apocalypse about a dozen times between 2013 and 2014. A few of those have been in the front, once or twice in row 6 or 7, and the rest between 2 and 5. The last few rows pretty much suck all the time, no matter the weather/what have you. Row 7 on a bad day is a solid .2/10. That's *point* 2, not 2/10. I'm not exaggerating.

I've had a couple (mostly in the summer) tolerable rides in the front two rows, but the corkscrew is still riddled with head banging. The rest of the ride is slow, relatively forceless (other than for a split second in the loop), and extremely uneventful. These rides I'd give it a 4/10.

The other *normal* rides (front/middle rows, normal headbanging frequencies per usual) are where you can truly judge the ride. The ride is as described above, but rougher. 3/10, in my book.

On the *good* rides, Apocalypse is almost out of the bottom third of the coasters I've ridden (around 35-40 in total). On the *bad* rides, well...

It's worse than Mind Eraser, the park's brutal SLC. That smells like sweat fused with vomit as the neck restraints try to mangle you.

So yeah, sounds like fun!

How does this sound?

2016: Gotham City revamp with ride improvements and some new flats (sky screamer)

2017: Celebration of wild ones 100th birthday with some rmc retracking or Iron Roar

2018: Removal of Minderaser for a major coaster or a new coaster behind roar to connect Gotham city and coyote creek

i love that coaster as is but oh god iron horse wild one would be the best thing ever. just make the drop a bit higher/steeper and just iron horse the rest of the course with minimal changes to the track layout and it would be incredible.

I wish they'd spend multiple years just improving Gotham City. The front of the park is really starting to improve but once you pass under Wild One you enter the ugliest area of any corporate park I've ever seen. That area needs some serious help in the form of trees, theming and restrooms.

I understand that this isn't ever going to happen but it's desperately needed.

My thoughts exactly. My first time ever visit in september was at first was, this looks like a really nice park, I wonder why everybody rags on it ? The parking lot looks really good, and the front part of the park is really nice with all the trees etc. Then we crossed Wild One and WTF ? What happened ? Come on, how expensive are adding trees compared to adding a new kiddie ride ? For the price, a few trees does not cost that much. My thought with the kids area back there reminded me of a warped Hansel and Grettal area, where you lure the kids in and then cook them in the hot basking sun. Oh Yum, BABY back ribs and rump roast fo dinner tonite ! Oh , if you need to pee, well, third bush to the left !

How does this sound?

2016: Gotham City revamp with ride improvements and some new flats (sky screamer)

2017: Celebration of wild ones 100th birthday with some rmc retracking or Iron Roar

2018: Removal of Minderaser for a major coaster or a new coaster behind roar to connect Gotham city and coyote creek

Yes, yes, YES! Unless SFOG is re-tracking their cyclone soon, I will finally be near an RMC!

My thoughts exactly. My first time ever visit in september was at first was, this looks like a really nice park, I wonder why everybody rags on it ? The parking lot looks really good, and the front part of the park is really nice with all the trees etc. Then we crossed Wild One and WTF ? What happened ? Come on, how expensive are adding trees compared to adding a new kiddie ride ? For the price, a few trees does not cost that much. My thought with the kids area back there reminded me of a warped Hansel and Grettal area, where you lure the kids in and then cook them in the hot basking sun. Oh Yum, BABY back ribs and rump roast fo dinner tonite ! Oh , if you need to pee, well, third bush to the left !

LMAO!!!!! Best SFA post (err... roast!)

I see new trees have been planted... but they are small and are going to take years to grow in. Whereas they should kick in the extra money to purchase more mature trees that actually have some sorta fully developed canopy. Even if just 10 per year... over 5 years that would be 50 well developed trees to reinstate some natural beauty!

I must say that I agree with your assessment 10000%! I took a trip there for the first time on Friday and the park was dead. Everything was a walkon and I rode everything multiple times in under 2 hours.When I first got there I thought the park looked great and I couldn't see what all of the fuss was about but as soon as I stepped into Gotham it's almost like you're in a different park. The front of the park seems saturated with shops and people and the Gotham area was a ghost town. I thought about peeing in the bushes but it was too cold for that. I might be in the minority but I thought Batwing was a piece of crap! Overall not a bad evening.

If SFA were to get rid of a coaster then it would be between minderaser and batwing. (I wish apocalypse could leave but it's considered "new" and I like the theming)

I actually didn't think Apocalypse was that bad but I didn't go into it expecting much either. Plus I braced myself for the headbanging. It was just another credit. Batsh*t was the one that I expected a little more out of.

Honestly, they could really improve the place if they scrapped Batwing, spruced up Gotham City, and then added a great coaster and a collection of flats behind Superman in Batwing's spot and that empty field.

The problem is, Batwing is the only coaster (besides occasionally Superman) that ever garners any sort of queue on a normal operating day (excluding Fright Fest Saturdays). This is likely due to the poor capacity combined with constant one train operations and pathetic loading times. I would be very surprised if Batwing does over 350-400 pph. That said, it is still a draw for the park as the nearest flying coaster is at Great Adventure and it ups the coaster count, which we all know is Six Flags' main priority, even at parks like SFA where it rally doesn't make a difference.

What I'm trying to say is that I think Batwing would be one of the last coasters to go if one were in fact leaving. I'd be all for burning down Mind Eraser of Apocalypse though.

If SFA were to get rid of a coaster then it would be between minderaser and batwing. (I wish apocalypse could leave but it's considered "new" and I like the theming)

I actually didn't think Apocalypse was that bad but I didn't go into it expecting much either. Plus I braced myself for the headbanging. It was just another credit. Batsh*t was the one that I expected a little more out of.

I for one like Batwing. I honestly do not see the problem with it. Every time people get off, they are grinning ear to ear.

Honestly, they could really improve the place if they scrapped Batwing, spruced up Gotham City, and then added a great coaster and a collection of flats behind Superman in Batwing's spot and that empty field.

The park would look a lot better if they scrapped Batwing, hid the old path to it and just made Superman the back of the park. Unfortunately Batwing is a big draw so this would never happen but it just looks ridiculous and it makes the path layout a complete train wreck.

SFA management was at Baltimore Pride a few years ago and I sat and talked to them for a bit. They have not added bathrooms back there because it has something to do with plumbing back there. This is also why no food stands have been built back there. They completely understand that the area is called Gotham City and Superman is back there. They completely acknowledged this looks bad on them as a park but they have to make due with what they have they said. They keep Batwing because yes it is a draw for them, they admitted it has issues and the operations are not up to par but its a money maker so they keep it.

They also admitted that yes, they keep taking flats out but would not say if they are looking at bringing more unique. As we see they are slowly bringing in some with the addition of the flyers this year and the ring of fire next year. They kept stating their focus at the time was infrastructure within the employees and current park as it was.

I ask them about Mind Eraser getting trains like the one in Jersey and they said at the time there were no plans to bring in new trains. Which makes sense - new trains cost a whole lot of money and we all know that SF Inc does not seem to like to spend too much on this park.

^ I remember you and I discussed this when we visited the park a few years ago. I hate to tell Six Flags, but a new bathroom by Batwing IS an infrastructure improvement. A new water line only takes two to three weeks at most to install, and the building construction wouldn't be a large investment. It's something they could do fairly easily that will bring customer satisfaction. A new water line would also encourage other new investments in that area in the future.