TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
Or just melt that awful Apocalypse into the ground.

Agreed. SFA has to realize that Apocalypse has not been a success by any means at this point. The GP are well aware that this coaster is absolutely garbage. My last visit earlier this month, which was a completely dead FF Saturday, Apocalypse had between 2 and 4 people per train, when Superman had about a 15 minute wait. SFA desperately needs a new coaster to call their own, and it doesn't have to be 300 feet tall or $30 million, just something smooth, new, and their own.

Or just melt that awful Apocalypse into the ground.

Agreed. SFA has to realize that Apocalypse has not been a success by any means at this point. The GP are well aware that this coaster is absolutely garbage. My last visit earlier this month, which was a completely dead FF Saturday, Apocalypse had between 2 and 4 people per train, when Superman had about a 15 minute wait. SFA desperately needs a new coaster to call their own, and it doesn't have to be 300 feet tall or $30 million, just something smooth, new, and their own.

Its a shame because the theming for Apocalypse is tremendous (for SFA at least). I mean, I would have honestly preferred SFA to have just plopped Iron Wolf down (well, my real preference is to scrap it) and save that theming and those fire effects for another installation or a retheme for something in the park.

Quite a few people in the park yesterday. Apocalypse actually had people down the stairs and around the bottom. Line for JJ was ridiculous.

Did you notice if security was higher than it has been over the last few weeks of increased security? I heard on the local (northern VA) news that they are somehow expecting backlash/retaliation from the incident a few weeks back.

Also, it is good to hear the park still gets crowds on occasion. I have heard the attendance has been increasing over the past two or three years, but Six Flags for some reason refuses to release how much. I wonder if attendance is anywhere near 1 million by now.

PLENTY of security, but not so much where it is excessive. Plenty of families there last night. The person that stated that retaliation would take place 'backed off of his comments' , according to the Post. I found out that Homeland Security even got in on it after he made the comments. They found zilch. Wouldn't b surprised if SF sued him.

I'm now a SF "member" and have been to SFA twice in the last 2 months. Like it a lot -- it wouldn't stand up to as many repeat visits like KD does, but it's a nice enough park with a some good rides. I don't know it has any "small park charm" but they've kept some small park funkiness.

Was surprised to find my favorites coasters there are now the woodies. Roar I always loved from the first ride, is now a bit washboarded and found the back didn't give the extra airtime that normally does on woodies. Rode 4 times last visit. Found the front row ride, towards the end, somehow reminded me of the first time I drove go-carts on a track. The Wild One is also a nice change of pace over the KD woodies.

The mazes at Fright Fest I found good. Mainly, they did a better job of sending you through in small groups than KD (especially this year). The park not being too busy is essential to that, no maze is so much greater that it's worth waiting for an hour or more. The mazes (not the shows) do cost $12 extra, which may also help cut the crowd.

I used to really like SLCs, didn't seem that bothered by a bit of headbanging, although SFA's wasn't the best. First visit I felt like my ears were burning after 2 rides. A hat helped the second visit, but the shoulder cup restraint started hurting on the 2nd ride. I still think this could be a very good coaster with better restraints (or getting back my youth).

Batwing I'm not crazy for, but was laughing my head off by the end. One thing I noticed, trying to support yourself by the handles makes you feel less secure, not more.... Superman isn't I305 but is still a lot of fun and one of the darkest coasters at night. Ragin Cajun I still haven't ridden due to lack of time. Did ride the Penguin's River which spins about 100 MPH , won't do that again. I was sorry to see Renegade Rapids was closed already for the season, I find that one of their more unusual rides. Looks like your regular water roulette ride but instead more like real white water rafting.

So, so far I'm satisfied with my pass purchase. Hopefully I'll be able to get fuller use of it and get to more than one SF park.

It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of this park but we visited for about 2 hours yesterday on the way home from Kings Dominion and I'll give credit where credit is due... the new area is a lot better than I expected.

When we got to the park we went right to Ragin Cajun as we needed the credit and the new area is actually pretty nice. The station and "theming" for the coaster itself looks like it was painted by a 6 year old but somehow it sort of worked. The ride itself is a lot of fun and I love it's paint job. It adds a ton of life to what used to be the second ugliest part of the park after Gotham City (which is still some kind of sick joke).

After the ride we headed to Hurricane's and got some Hurricanes since we needed them to get us through our Six Flags America experience. The new bar is really nice, the drinks are very good and the souvenir cups are pretty awesome too. I'm a big fan of Hurricane's and was kind of jealous that Great Adventure doesn't have a place like this.

After we left the bar we rode the flyers and while you can snap them we were a little spoiled by the ones at Kings Dominion the day before. Finally we headed back to Superman for a back seat ride and while they were running one train the ride ops were a lot of fun and they were pretty quick at loading and unloading it. The ride itself was awesome as usual. Unfortunately after that we had to leave as we had a long drive ahead of us.

So the park is still kind of a dump but it's improving. Every single coaster was running one train except for Wild One, the mouse obviously and possibly Mind Eraser since we never made it over there and I can't say for sure. Everything in Gotham City looks terrible and needs a paint job but the new area is nice and it's obvious that the park is trying to improve... they have a long way to go but I appreciate the effort. I was actually kind of impressed.

I never thought I'd see the day where SFA would get credit from you! Awesome! You hear that SFA, you are indeed improving!

8801781.gif

I agree the painted theming on the boards around the ride can be laughable but it's clear the young crowd the park is marketing this ride to despite the unfortunately high height restriction. It has definitely been a hit with guest. I am still curious about that 3 person rule. My group had to split up all 4 of us weren't allowed to ride together. Do other early reverchon spinners limit this as well?

Likewise, I hope the gotham gets a refresh similar to how SFMM's refreshed theirs. Should be called DC comics... a justice league sally ride would be great between superman and batwing (especially with it's metropolis tie in).

I enjoy Hurricane's ... it really is a great hang out spot. I just wish they served some food as well like hot wings and I am hoping for a spot that will at least sell beignets.

I am still curious about that 3 person rule. My group had to split up all 4 of us weren't allowed to ride together. Do other early reverchon spinners limit this as well?

I've never heard of this before. I've ridden Kennywood's Exterminator many, many times with all four seats filled. I've seen others all run with four people in a car, too. I'm not sure why Six Flags would limit it.

Likewise, I hope the gotham gets a refresh similar to how SFMM's refreshed theirs. Should be called DC comics... a justice league sally ride would be great between superman and batwing (especially with it's metropolis tie in).

I enjoy Hurricane's ... it really is a great hang out spot. I just wish they served some food as well like hot wings and I am hoping for a spot that will at least sell beignets.

Is there any talk of putting a bathroom further back in Gotham City? It seems ridiculous that if you're at Batwing you have to walk all the way up near the Round Up to use a bathroom (the placement of Batwing is just so ridiculous). The back of the park really needs some bathrooms and shade... plus like you mentioned anything to break up the long, boring pathway system they have back there would be a very welcome addition.

^THIS!

I wouldn't be surprised if people have taken the L and just started Peeing off in the grass somewhere due to the awfully long walk to the restroom. I am sure if a ride like Justice League gets put back there it would allow the park to throw some extra money to install bathrooms or something.

I left Apocalypse out of my mini-review ... first ride took front row right, no headbanging. Rerode back left, banged a bit. Last ride 2nd row right, came out of that corkscrew and bam! Dizzy and headachy for 15 minutes. Don't know if I'll try and figure it out or just avoid it. Nice floorless layout but unfortunately has standup trains stuck on it. Doesn't have a proper standup-specific layout like Shockwave. but I'm serious ...

I left Apocalypse out of my mini-review ... first ride took front row right, no headbanging. Rerode back left, banged a bit. Last ride 2nd row right, came out of that corkscrew and bam! Dizzy and headachy for 15 minutes. Don't know if I'll try and figure it out or just avoid it. Nice floorless layout but unfortunately has standup trains stuck on it. Doesn't have a proper standup-specific layout like Shockwave. but I'm serious ...

I've had a few *decent* rides on Apocalypse (by stand up coaster standards), but the majority of the time, the coaster is approaching unrideable. If the coaster didn't *look* nice, or wasn't in a very central location, I'm sure it would have the lowest ridership in the park. There's a reason a major park like SFGam removed a B&M with some history behind it (the first one). I'd actually rather ride Ragin Cajun most days at this point.

I am still curious about that 3 person rule. My group had to split up all 4 of us weren't allowed to ride together. Do other early reverchon spinners limit this as well?

I've never heard of this before. I've ridden Kennywood's Exterminator many, many times with all four seats filled. I've seen others all run with four people in a car, too. I'm not sure why Six Flags would limit it.

So Kennywood's was built around the same time or was it later? does it have the same restraints with 2 lap bars. I know some have 4 individual lap bars. If Kennywood in fact runs theirs with 4 people to this day I am so curious as to why six flags doesn't.

Kennywood's was built in 1999, whereas SFA's was built in 2004 (when Reverchon was bought out by Zamperla). They both have the same style of trains. I rode it last year with three of my friends, and we were all in the same car. In fact, when the ride has a huge line, they make sure to fill up as many cars as possible (it was not uncommon to see it with 4 hour lines back in the day).

I might be possibly the only rider who actually liked riding Apocalypse, in fact, during my last visit during FrightFest I rode it twice: once early in the day and the second time at night. I also rode Superman during the day. When I was standing in line to enter one of the haunted mazes I was telling a crowd that I planned on visiting all the haunts, plus ride two coasters at night.

One of them replied, "I bet one of them will be Superman!"

"Nope," I replied. "It's going to be Apocalypse and the Wild One."

"Oh come on, Superman's more fun at night!" the man retorted.

"I have no qualms against Superman," I answered. "But the restraints were hurting me and I couldn't enjoy that ride. Apocalypse may be rougher, but I can handle their restraints. Superman's restraints were cutting into my ankles and I recently injured them, making them sore. All the other coasters don't have restraints that binds the ankles like Superman does."

I'm sure that next season, my ankles should be at 100% and I'll be able to ride and enjoy Superman once more.

Made it out to the park for closing day yesterday. Despite the cold (dipping down in the low 40's by closing), we had a really fun last day. Managed all the haunted houses in about one hour. They were okay, nothing special, but a nice break from the coasters. Worth the $12 in my book.

We rode, in order, Joker's Jinx, Superman, Batwing, Voodoo Drop, Wild One, did the haunted houses, then finished up the season with a front row night ride on Superman. It obviously didn't compare in the least, but is reminded me of my night rides in the last row of Millennium Force back in August. Those rides were really something special. Superman was running fairly well, I must say.

All in all, I'd say Six Flags America has really turned it around the last few years, with 2014 being the biggest improvement. The park is still miles behind the top-tier parks, including the nearby Six Flags park, Great Adventure, but if they can improve operations and manage their clientele, all the basics will have been covered. Then it's time to see if Six Flags is ready to take a leap and make a legitimate investment in Six Flags America. The recent additions are greatly needed, but realistically are nowhere near spectacular, and are designed to keep costs down. And Apocalypse sucks.