TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

^That's what I was wondering. Seems like maybe we could pony up the cash for the extra electricity and run the thing at design speed, not in cost-saver mode.

What's interesting is that when I was there earlier this year, they were launching both trains but only loading one. Think of all the electricity they were wasting launching empty trains.

That's insane. Almost as insane as Roar's "DO NOT TOUCH YOUR RESTRAINTS" policy, and also the brilliant idea of strapping the woodies' seat belts around the lapbar in empty seats. Roar has the worst operations of any ride I've been on.

Do not touch your restraints? WHAT? During the ride or during loading? Either way, it's pretty stupid.

During loading they tell you over and over not to pull down your lapbar, and that an operator will do it for you. The only thing I can think is that it's so they can more easily check the seatbelt before it gets squashed under the bar, but it's definitely not making things better. I've clocked 4+ minute dispatches. Not cycles, dispatches.

4 min? I've clocked them at an average of 1:45. Must have gotten lucky on those days.

That's what I was wondering. Seems like maybe we could pony up the cash for the extra electricity and run the thing at design speed, not in cost-saver mode.

^Is that really what the park has been doing and does anyone have proof?

If so, does anyone know if the FoF's at the Cedar Fair parks have also been "power-neutered"? I know that FoF at KD seemed to crawl through the 2nd half, but I thought that was just due to the heavy brake in the mid-course run. The launch still seemed pretty intense at the beginning to me.

Wonder what would happen if this would have happened on FoF? Do they evac equipment inside the building (or have room for it), or would they have to remove part of the building in order to access the riders?

Joker's Jinx has a slowed launch but no MCBR, the two Flight of Fear twins have the fast launch but killer MCBR, and Poltergeist at SFFT has the fast launch and no MCBR.

Also, Flight of Fear has a huge crane system built into the roof to rescue the trains in case this happens. I'm not sure if it can be used to get riders down, but I think there's room at the base for a truck to drive in and do the same thing they did today with Joker.

The FoF MCBR (at least at KI) used to add effect to the ride (a bit of creepy music used to play in the building), but that no longer works. They should play a scream (alien invasion) or some other short, creepy audio effect as the train plows through the straight section of track without any braking. Besides, that MCBR is useless because I haven't seen 3 trains in a long time, if ever (they sort of need it, though.) They really should rethink FoF.

That's insane. Almost as insane as Roar's "DO NOT TOUCH YOUR RESTRAINTS" policy, and also the brilliant idea of strapping the woodies' seat belts around the lapbar in empty seats. Roar has the worst operations of any ride I've been on.

There is a reason for that. Unless it has retractable seatbelts (like CF has on their wooden coasters) then a belts in empty seats can slip under the seats, and on PTC trains that means in certain row they can actually get tangled in the wheels, which generally results in a crushed buckle and a belt covered in grease, meaning a new seatbelt must be installed.

I know it's normal for JJ but I mean it's pretty odd it would valley in the middle of it's layout. Most launch coasters have their highest hill first so that as long as the train clears the first hill, it makes it through the rest of the layout no problem. Interesting choice by Premier there.

^Maybe Kings Island removed the music effect for Flight of Fear after Cedar Fair bought out the Paramount parks!

FoF was originally Paramount-licensed, but the license to use Outer Limits theming expired a while before the buyout. My first trip to KI (2008) was the first year that the names were non-Paramount. I was not tall enough to ride FoF until 2009, and I remember music at some point that isn't there anymore. It probably wasn't licensed, but was seen as unimportant enough to not be used.

Funny story, my brother made his first trip to SFA yesterday (Sunday) and it was somewhat of a bummer for his group because of Joker's Jinx's breakdown; Superman, Batwing and Apocalypse were all closed as a result and neither Superman nor Batwing reopened before he left. However, his group complained and even spoke with management. His friends certainly made a viable argument because they each got a free meal and flash passes for the day, and I can't think of any park that ever offers retribution for rides being closed. I guess customer service isn't completely lost at Six Flags!

I know it's normal for JJ but I mean it's pretty odd it would valley in the middle of it's layout. Most launch coasters have their highest hill first so that as long as the train clears the first hill, it makes it through the rest of the layout no problem. Interesting choice by Premier there.

That's what I thought too. I believe that's why intamin lsm coasters like ispeed or the one in turkey crawl through the top hat.

I normally don't consider riders being stuck in an upright position on a coaster to be major news but in this case I feel terrible for anyone involved. I couldn't imagine the horror of having to spend 4.5 hours at Six Flags America.

By the way this may be a dumb question but since the ride seems to get stuck there a decent amount is it at all feasible for them to install a catwalk like they did on the cobra roll of most boomerang coasters?

That's what I was wondering. Seems like maybe we could pony up the cash for the extra electricity and run the thing at design speed, not in cost-saver mode.

^Is that really what the park has been doing and does anyone have proof?

If so, does anyone know if the FoF's at the Cedar Fair parks have also been "power-neutered"? I know that FoF at KD seemed to crawl through the 2nd half, but I thought that was just due to the heavy brake in the mid-course run. The launch still seemed pretty intense at the beginning to me.

Wonder what would happen if this would have happened on FoF? Do they evac equipment inside the building (or have room for it), or would they have to remove part of the building in order to access the riders?

Joker's Jinx has a slowed launch but no MCBR, the two Flight of Fear twins have the fast launch but killer MCBR, and Poltergeist at SFFT has the fast launch and no MCBR.

Also, Flight of Fear has a huge crane system built into the roof to rescue the trains in case this happens. I'm not sure if it can be used to get riders down, but I think there's room at the base for a truck to drive in and do the same thing they did today with Joker.

Very interesting...guess I need to go SFFT to ride Poltergeist then!

Holy crap! And you're telling me that SF neutered the ride to be cheap? Come on! Did Premier approve a slow launch?

FoF honestly shouldn't have the MCBR Think about it - Fast launch+MCBR=The most expensive ride cycle, but one of the tamest too.