TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Skyliner at Lakemont Park.

Really? I thought Lakemont was a hell hole but actually thought Skyliner was a smooth, fun ride. Maybe they recently re-tracked it?

As far as Roar I think it has a cool layout but it's like riding a shopping cart with square wheels down a rocky cliff while holding a jackhammer. If they re-tracked it it would probably be a lot of fun... and with 7 minute dispatches and one train operation I would expect wear and tear to be minimal.

I did not like how you hit the bottom of the hill so "hard". It hurt my back.

They better not touch Wild One!!

And this is me just thinking, but hypothetically speaking lets say that they are in fact removing Roar. Normally when an attraction is removed, a new one is often put in its place. So heres what I'm getting at. I read somewhere that Six Flags America owns A LOT of land, and most of it is unused. So why on earth would they remove a coaster so that they could put something new in its place? They have the land to find room for a new ride. If they're removing Roar, it must be because of Roar, not because they need the land for a new ride.

I can't see Six Flags spending the money on giving Roar the RMC treatment. Wishful thinking would be that the coaster goes and the park finally gets a new (long overdue) coaster. Perhaps a Euro-Fighter, something along the lines of Dare Devil Dive at SFOG. The more likely scenario though would be Roar being removed and that lot sitting dormant for the next 10 years.

Wonder if Six Flags is thinking of putting Wild One under the knife in a year or two for the RMC redo?...was thinking of ROAR, but I doubt RMC would redo a GCI just yet.

Absolutely not.

Six Flags sucks at a lot of things but they do seem to take decent care (for a corporate chain) of their classic wood coasters. The wood coasters that have received the the Iron Horse treatment have all been mediocre to flat out awful rides that enthusiasts only pretended to like after it was announced that they were closing but before that the rides always had short lines and very few people liked them (though I can't speak for Medusa as I don't know much about it).

They better not touch Wild One!!

Agreed. Wild One is fine the way it is.

As for Roar, I never had a problem with the ride, its a bit rough but I've been on worse. The first drop is great too. However, would I be sad if it does get torn down, not really. If Six Flags can replace it with a better attraction that will grab attention and bring more guests to the park then more power to them. This park needs an original coaster.

Obviously just speculation and musings on my part here, but since Goliath (SFGAm) was a sort of a prototype for a compact, non-converted, inverting woodie, maybe ROAR will get replaced with something quite similar, maybe even a (smaller - due to the height clause they signed) clone of Goliath. Would certainly bring some attention to the park. First all new RMC on the east coast.

Edited by boldikus

Obviously just speculation and musings on my part here, but since Goliath (SFGAm) was a sort of a prototype for a compact, non-converted, inverting woodie, maybe ROAR will get replaced with something quite similar, maybe even a (smaller - due to the height clause they signed) clone of Goliath. Would certainly bring some attention to the park. First all new RMC on the east coast.

I believe they're aloud to build rides over 200 feet tall now

I believe they're aloud to build rides over 200 feet tall now

I was referring to the clause SF signed with RMC to NOT build an inverting woodie at that height (or over it) for a certain period of time. This is so that SFGAm can continue to claim it as a record breaker for a certain period of time. I don't have a reference or link right now but I've read about this happening in a few different places. (Maybe on here somewhere?)

edit: http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80553658/

"Anyone who likes amusement parks knows that there's a bit of an arms race out there, and any claim to a world record paints a big bull's-eye on the side of a ride for someone else to target. Goliath will be holding onto its claims for a while: Rocky Mountain has the patent, and its next project is a smaller wooden coaster at Kolmarden Wildlife Park in Sweden. (Grubb also acknowledged he signed a noncompete agreement with Great America not to top it for a good while.)"

I often wonder if this also happened when El Toro was built as I think its INSANE that no other U.S. park has built an Intamin woodie in almost 10 years after the success of Toro.

^ I agree. I have never ridden an RMC but speaking on behalf of El Toro, Intamin knew what the hell it was doing with pre-fab wooden coasters. I would love too see another one built in the states, it would provide some nice competition for RMC. It seems Intamin didn't have to use the inversion gimmick on their woodies.

With the lack of lines this park usually has, a large coaster isn't necessary. Eurofighter would be awesome. I loved DDD at SFOG.

Its amazing how well Wild One is taken care of but Roar is in terrible shape. Wild one is one of my favorite coasters ever.

anyone notice this post on SFA's Facebook page?

Six Flags America

AHHHHHH! Don’t miss your last chance to ROAR this summer! Save up to $21 with Coke. Details: http://www.sixflags.com/coke

Hmmmmmmmm

After reading the post again, "Roar" is another word for scream. The post doesn't say, "Don't miss your last chance to [Ride] Roar this summer!" So I don't suspect anything happening to Roar anytime soon.

Wonder if Six Flags is thinking of putting Wild One under the knife in a year or two for the RMC redo?...was thinking of ROAR, but I doubt RMC would redo a GCI just yet.

Absolutely not.

Six Flags sucks at a lot of things but they do seem to take decent care (for a corporate chain) of their classic wood coasters. The wood coasters that have received the the Iron Horse treatment have all been mediocre to flat out awful rides that enthusiasts only pretended to like after it was announced that they were closing but before that the rides always had short lines and very few people liked them (though I can't speak for Medusa as I don't know much about it).

I nearly spit out my coffee when I read this. Of all the nice things you can say about Six Flags, taking care of their woodies is absolutely not one of them, in this or any parallel reality.

Absolutely not.

I nearly spit out my coffee when I read this. Of all the nice things you can say about Six Flags, taking care of their woodies is absolutely not one of them, in this or any parallel reality.

Six Flags puts their money where they think they can get a good return. Roar ha had some retracking, but the second half is still terrible. Six Flags has thrown much more money on rides like El Toro in terms of maintenance because it is what makes them more money. I wouldn't say Six Flags is bad at taking care of woodies, rather they take care where needed. If they took better care or wooden coasters like Roar and Rolling Thunder, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Yes, the rides tools a beating, but only because Six Flas didn't see them as priorities, where as rides like El Toro have been treated differently.

I wouldn't say Six Flags is bad at taking care of woodies, rather they take care where needed.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that they literally don't know how to take care of woodies, like they want to but they're too stupid ("Hank! You put the track on upside down again!"). I'm just saying that as far as their track record with maintaining woodies, they're literally the worst. Like, no chain has more examples of rides left to rot then they do. And you can't say it's somehow ok because they're only tearing down rides that are rough and terrible, how do you think they got rough and terrible in the first place?