TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Went down from Jersey to go to this park yesterday to meet up with some other enthusiasts. Only 1 of the 3 ended up showing up but we still managed to spend 8.5 hours in this park (shocking I know). Here's my reviews of the coasters and some flats there:

Roar- better than I expected it to be. We found it amazing the vast difference of a ride experience it is from back to front. In the back it was smooth but not as much airtime where in the front it was much rougher but at least it had a little airtime.

Apocalypse- the worst big coaster in the park imo. I hate Green Lantern in GAdv and this was basically the same. Lots of headbanging.

Mind Eraser- pretty much what I expected though I prefer the one in SFNE.

Great Chase- yes I credit whored this and felt like I was going to hurt my leg on the turns. Just imagine having 2 guys over 6'0 riding in the same car on this.

Rajin' Cajun- first spinning mouse and I have to say it surprised me. It's much more fun than a regular mouse imo. Just wish they'd start the spinning earlier than they do. Also they don't let more than 3 people over 52 inches in a car so be careful groups.

Joker's Jinx- probably the most disappointing coaster here. I was expecting better from this. After the initial jolt the launch is pretty tame. Also the first half is very weak. On the bright side the next to last turn and final corkscrew are much stronger so at least this finishes on a good note. This was also the one ride I didn't even think about putting my hands up.

Wild One- pretty much what I expected. An above average woodie that is borderline top 10 for me. Has a nice sense of roughness where it has a little to make the ride more exciting but it won't bother you.

Superman: ROS- was also a little disappointed in this. I expected the airtime to be better than Bizarro but it wasn't even close. This will only be the second hyper or bigger that failed to make my top 10 of the 6 I've ridden. The other being Millennium Force.

Batwing- surprise of the day here. This ride had the worst operations but it's a very exciting ride. This was my first Vekoma Flyer and with riding Superman and Manta already, this had my curiousity. Being flipped around few times was interesting and the restraints are so loose once you flip it adds an intimidating factor being in a flying position. This is honestly in contention for best coaster in the park for me.

Zydeco Zinger- honestly much tamer than I thought it'd be. Nothing really memorable here.

Voodoo- great drop tower. First Intamin one for me too and it proved to be the next best thing to ARM. Ride is short but the drop is pretty powerful. Probably the one world class ride this park has and was my favorite ride in the park.

Rodeo- was not prepared for this ride. This thing is wicked. It had more force than most coasters in the park and I'd have to say it's a hidden gem. Make sure you ride this if you have the stomach for it.

Overall nice day at the park. Not as terrible as I expected. Me and my friend both agreed that the coaster lineup mostly has nothing terrible (except Apocalypse) but really has nothing that stands out and makes it worth going out of the way for. I think it's a nice stop if you have a little time or are in the area though. A lot of station waits on a Saturday is a nice bonus.

This seems to be the general consensus about SFA. Nothing special, but nothing that ruins your visit. I'm curious - what made you come in thinking S:RoS would have better airtime than Bizarro? Bizarro is consistently ranked higher than SFA's Superman, add on the fact that it's an out of place clone intended to interact with water that isn't present.

On a side note, I may be the only one that doesn't get the love for Wild One. IMO, it's too rough in the valleys and has next to zero airtime. Maybe I caught it on a bad ride, every ride.

^It was mostly because people said Bizarro's restraints are terrible (which I can defend). I thought maybe if Superman's restraints were better being an Intamin hyper, I'd get great airtime on the hills. Unfortunately the ride just doesn't have that kind of pacing.

As for Wild One I'm not crazy about it and it's not as good as Dash or Phoenix but it's in the top half of woodies I've ridden simply because it's not extremely rough and it does have air which is a good combination for me.

Not as terrible as I expected.

That's actually the park motto... "Six Flags America: Not as Terrible as You'd Expect"

"Fuji Q: As Terrible as You'd Expect."

"Mt. Olympus: More Terrible than You Deserve."

Edited by cfc

Finally planning a day trip with my bro-in-law to this park, we are going within the next few weeks. It really seems to get a bad rap from everyone but its the closest SF park to me besides SFGAdv and I'd like to get at least one ride on all the coasters at SFA, most notably S:ROS.

Seems from what Ive read here and elsewhere I can get most if not all of the coasters in on one day, is that fair to assume? If we decide on a weekend day could I assume it will be less crowded on a Sunday (similar to SFGAdv)? And does the park get crowded enough on weekends to warrant splurging on a FP (keep in mind I'm used to dealing with SFGAdv crowds)? Any preferred plan of attack to get the most in with the least amount of waits (i.e. start in the back @ Batwing and work our way around)? Thanks!

Finally planning a day trip with my bro-in-law to this park, we are going within the next few weeks. It really seems to get a bad rap from everyone but its the closest SF park to me besides SFGAdv and I'd like to get at least one ride on all the coasters at SFA, most notably S:ROS.

Seems from what Ive read here and elsewhere I can get most if not all of the coasters in on one day, is that fair to assume? If we decide on a weekend day could I assume it will be less crowded on a Sunday (similar to SFGAdv)? And does the park get crowded enough on weekends to warrant splurging on a FP (keep in mind I'm used to dealing with SFGAdv crowds)? Any preferred plan of attack to get the most in with the least amount of waits (i.e. start in the back @ Batwing and work our way around)? Thanks!

A Flash Pass is NEVER needed at SFA. Especially on a weekday, your plan of attack does not matter. Keep in mind, however, that Batwing does not open until noon, similar to Bizarro at Gadv. Outside of this, you should have no issues riding everything plus re-rides in about 3 hours. I would recommend getting to Batwing a few minutes before noon to be at the front of the line- the only reason is slow dispatches and one train operations on Batwing are common.

Ok so I'm going to sfa this Thursday and I'm really excited because I get really excited whenever I think about roller coasters. But I have a question. The only reason we are going is because I got that free six flags ticket from ace. My membership expired in April, but I got it renewed about a week ago. The problem is, they haven't sent me the new card yet, but they've sent an email confirming my account. If I don't get the card by the time I leave, can I print the email and show it to them as confirmation of me being a member? Or do I have to have the actual ace card...?

And one more thing, can you use both the free ticket AND the half price ticket? Cause that would also be cool.

So I hope you all know something about this. I just realized that yall might not know a lot about this. But oh well. I'm going to six flags!

^What would be the one for SFMM?

We add in crappy kiddie coasters just to get the title of "The Amusument Park With Most Roller Coasters" even though half of them are awful and they often park down. We also have horrible staff members.

Serious. I have never been there but I read on the SFMM TPR Thread is negative, negative, negative...

Weekday or weekend (including) saturday the park is not as busy as SFGAdv... In my opinion you do not need a FP unless you care to visit the water park and get one some of the slides. I actually really think Bonzai Pipelines is awesome... I just rode it for the first time two weeks ago. Lines in the water park are longer but your FP will work in both the water and dry park. IN the dry park I don't think you will see much need. I also agree that you don't really need a plan of attack but I would suggest getting to batwing slightly before 12 noon on weekends. The park has 2 trains running on everything during weekends... the only toss up is Batwing... Sometimes they have both and sometimes they have one. I've seen them start with 2 on batwing or add the 2nd later on and sometimes if they have 2 on... later on in the day when i revisit it has one removed (maybe they were having issues?).

Yeah that park has a bad rap but as more people visit I see it improving....most reviews I have read, including my own opinion, all pretty much say that park is not as bad as you would think it would be based on the negative bashing it gets. I actually enjoy the park!!! ... my only bad experiences have been with food places in the park.

Ok so I'm going to sfa this Thursday and I'm really excited because I get really excited whenever I think about roller coasters. But I have a question. The only reason we are going is because I got that free six flags ticket from ace. My membership expired in April, but I got it renewed about a week ago. The problem is, they haven't sent me the new card yet, but they've sent an email confirming my account. If I don't get the card by the time I leave, can I print the email and show it to them as confirmation of me being a member? Or do I have to have the actual ace card...?

And one more thing, can you use both the free ticket AND the half price ticket? Cause that would also be cool.

So I hope you all know something about this. I just realized that yall might not know a lot about this. But oh well. I'm going to six flags!

I recommend you call the park and speak with someone who deals with tickets... I am sure they will advise you... its better to know for sure than to assume. It could turn out to be something you have to work out with ACE and not the park.

SFA is always getting a bad rap for what I see, no reason. My experience there was very pleasant, getting multiple rides on everything besides Mind Eraser which was closed all day (Didn't lose any sleep over that). My question is, and I know SFA isn't atop of Six Flag's treatment list, when will they get a new original coaster?

SFA is always getting a bad rap for what I see, no reason. My experience there was very pleasant, getting multiple rides on everything besides Mind Eraser which was closed all day (Didn't lose any sleep over that). My question is, and I know SFA isn't atop of Six Flag's treatment list, when will they get a new original coaster?

I agree. Now that the height restriction has been lifted, they may get an original ride soon. According to a manager I talked to at the park, they have seen record numbers so far this year. It may help them.

I agree. Now that the height restriction has been lifted, they may get an original ride soon. According to a manager I talked to at the park, they have seen record numbers so far this year. It may help them.

How I see it is that they have a giant sidewalk with cracks from here to Minnesota and they park needs to fill those cracks before they can build a skyscraper.

They don't need a new coaster anytime soon. They need a dark ride and a log flume and some inverting flats and a re-modeled Looney Tunes Movie Town and a new water slide or two all before they need a new coaster (IMHO at least)...

SFA will get a dark ride when hell freezes over. I agree with the park needing a new water ride (not in the water park) especially since they removed a pretty decent one for Apocalypse. I also concur a few flats wouldn't hurt either.

Keep in mind, SFA does have three water rides not in the water park, which is a very solid water park, I might add.

SFA will more than likely get a Skyscreamer in 2015, which i think will be a welcomed addition. They need something in the thrilling flat rides department. Outside of this, I don't think a new coaster is as far away as you may think. I'm not saying it'll come in 2015 or 2016, but I don't think they'll be completely ignored in the future like they were from '02 until '12 in terms of coasters.

Keep in mind, SFA does have three water rides not in the water park, which is a very solid water park, I might add.

SFA will more than likely get a Skyscreamer in 2015, which i think will be a welcomed addition. They need something in the thrilling flat rides department. Outside of this, I don't think a new coaster is as far away as you may think. I'm not saying it'll come in 2015 or 2016, but I don't think they'll be completely ignored in the future like they were from '02 until '12 in terms of coasters.

They NEEED something that goes higher than superman. They need that sky screamer, they need a lot of flat rides, and then they need a really big coaster. Sometime along the way, they need a new water slide for the water park, but like in 2016-17-18 they need that star attraction that's going to have to compete with all of sfa competitor parks (bgw, kd, hp, sfga). What they DONT need anytime soon is a dark ride. Like what even. No. People aren't going to flock to an amusement park for a decent dark ride. You know six flags is not going to pour money into a dark ride like universal or Disney is. And if it isn't as good as universal, I'm not going to make that three hour car ride up to sfa to go on a mediocre dark ride. Thank you, I'm done now.

They NEEED something that goes higher than superman. They need that sky screamer, they need a lot of flat rides, and then they need a really big coaster. Sometime along the way, they need a new water slide for the water park, but like in 2016-17-18 they need that star attraction that's going to have to compete with all of sfa competitor parks (bgw, kd, hp, sfga). What they DONT need anytime soon is a dark ride. Like what even. No. People aren't going to flock to an amusement park for a decent dark ride. You know six flags is not going to pour money into a dark ride like universal or Disney is. And if it isn't as good as universal, I'm not going to make that three hour car ride up to sfa to go on a mediocre dark ride. Thank you, I'm done now.

Be careful, you'll upset the dark ride fans...