TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I don't think so. I know that everything in Coyote Creek (mind eraser,etc) are having the pass holder event (10-11am). I'll be there Saturday or Monday. Looking forward to it.

I wish they would do ert for Superman; that would be something I would mark on my calendar. I was planning to go last weekend which coincidentally was wild one ert, but something came up the night before, so I couldn't make it. But really, ert on Mind Eraser? "Let's go get 12 consecutive migraines! What fun!"

Edit: On opening day I thought I remembered seeing ads for pass holder previews the 17th-18th... I guess that went out the window. I'm curious as to what on earth could possibly delay opening a relocated 10-year-old wild mouse two or more weeks late. I always thought SF wanted to get new attractions running by Memorial Day for, you know, profits. But hey, profits aren't historically their strong suit.

I hear you. I'm a little salty that RC is not going to be open, unless they surprise us. Going to be real mad if every tube on Bonzai Pipelines is not open. I can't get enough of that slide. Lol.,, I also spend way too much time on those flyers. Still trying to get the optimum speed on there. Once I turned the head so perfect that I thought I was going to fly out. I need more perfect turns like that...

Let's all hope that the LOL show is good this weekend. One time I went,....it was great; actually laughed the whole time. Another time I went, I was tempted to walk out.

I would just like to mention that after my visit to SFA this past Sunday, I have very high hopes for this park. I had by far my best visit I can remember. The park was completely dead (longest wait was Barwing as usual, but only 15 mins. All others were essentially walk ons). Even then, every coaster but Batwing and Mind Eraser ran two (yes, TWO) trains, which was a very pleasant surprise. Operations were the best I've seen, Superman was occasionally dispatched before the other train reaches the brakes. The usual suspects had poor operations (Batwing and Mind Eraser). Roar has obviously had some retracking in the first half of the ride and delivered a great first half. Ragin Cajun wasn't open, which was a dissapointment, but certainly didn't ruin my visit.

The park looked beautiful, I must say. The staff were friendly and I rode some rides I normally wouldn't bother due to the minimal crowds, like Shipwreck Falls, which was a pleasant surprise.

The reason I bother to compliment SFA so much is for the first time in about 15 years, it doesn't look like the SFA we all know and hate. It doesn't look like the scum park at the bottom of the chain barely turning a profit before being sold. I can confidently say that Six Flags cares about this park and sees potential. I've never seen the park in such great shape. After removing the height restriction a few years ago, I am very interested to see what Six Flags can do here. A Skyscreamer would work well in the near future, the coaster collection is actually quite well rounded. I actually had a tolerable ride on Mind Eraser for the first time in, well, ever.

I'm not saying that I expect to see $15 million annual investments like Six Flags does mistakenly for other parks (MM/Gadv/Gam recently). However, the park has turned a corner in the past couple years. Some smart decisions could make this a relatively competitive park in five years. It just needs some time and attention.

Not to sound negative, because I'm one of the biggest SFA fanboys out there, but the season is still early. The park has a habit of having great operations until about Memorial Day, but once they move to daily operations, things start to decline. I hope you'll go to the park again later this season to see if the operations are the same. However, what has changed for the permanent is the park up-keep. Everything is painted, there's lots of new landscaping, a lot of the recent additions have been in areas of the park that were neglected and now, with the additions, look fantastic. I think the park is still a few years away from being "there" but I'm cautiously optimistic. A couple more years of additions in the right locations could really complete this transformation.

Not to sound negative, because I'm one of the biggest SFA fanboys out there, but the season is still early. The park has a habit of having great operations until about Memorial Day, but once they move to daily operations, things start to decline. I hope you'll go to the park again later this season to see if the operations are the same. However, what has changed for the permanent is the park up-keep. Everything is painted, there's lots of new landscaping, a lot of the recent additions have been in areas of the park that were neglected and now, with the additions, look fantastic. I think the park is still a few years away from being "there" but I'm cautiously optimistic. A couple more years of additions in the right locations could really complete this transformation.

I absolutely agree, but I was there opening day, ad this was miles better. I have a season pass, so I'll be there plenty. I'm curious to see what Six Flags does to keep improving the park. It is still a ways from being mentioned with parks like SFgadv or even KD, but it is certainly on the right track.

They were running two trains for part of the day on Batwing on Saturday and Monday. Saturday they ran two out of one station for a while and Monday they were running out of both stations. And yes, everything was basically running two trains. JJ, S:ROS, Wild One, Roar, Apocalypse.

I wonder if the train will re-open this year?

Edited by vacoaster09

They were running two trains for part of the day on Batwing on Friday and Sunday. Friday they ran two out of one station for a while and Sunday they were running out of both stations. And yes, everything was basically running two trains. JJ, S:ROS, Wild One, Roar, Apocalypse.

I wonder if the train will re-open this year?

That's strange; I was there from open until around 4 on Sunday, and they ran one train in one station the entire time I was there. Unless they opened the other station (which I had thought was never to be used again) later on Sunday, I only saw one train operation.

What's the lastest on the relocated mouse that's not open yet for some reason? Are they testing it? Is all the track in place?

Trackwork is complete, cars are on the track, and I'm not completely sure if testing has begun. Other than that, which I found out myself just by looking at it for two seconds my last visit, there unfortunately isn't much news. I am just as clueless as anybody as to how on earth this relocated wild mouse isn't ready. It isn't a huge deal, but it is pretty pathetic. Doesn't bode well for the outlook of the company. It may even open AFTER Goliath, a coaster that should take 50x more work.

I haven't been to SFA in 13 yrs, but do they still have those ridiculous OTSRs on Mind Eraser that smell like old sweat???

Wow, that's pretty bad that the ride still carries that smell after 13 years, and yes it smelt awful when I rode it last summer.

Mind eraser smelled fine, and it doesn't seem to bump as much. Here's some more good news: every second (and I think fourth Sunday) they are going to have exclusive ride time for season pass and discover card holders. It will be done for two hours after the park closes. You will have to get a wristband at a booth in the park on the day that they are having it. Also, they will pick several rides to use on those days.

I would just like to mention that after my visit to SFA this past Sunday, I have very high hopes for this park. I had by far my best visit I can remember. The park was completely dead (longest wait was Barwing as usual, but only 15 mins. All others were essentially walk ons). Even then, every coaster but Batwing and Mind Eraser ran two (yes, TWO) trains, which was a very pleasant surprise. Operations were the best I've seen, Superman was occasionally dispatched before the other train reaches the brakes. The usual suspects had poor operations (Batwing and Mind Eraser). Roar has obviously had some retracking in the first half of the ride and delivered a great first half. Ragin Cajun wasn't open, which was a dissapointment, but certainly didn't ruin my visit.

The park looked beautiful, I must say. The staff were friendly and I rode some rides I normally wouldn't bother due to the minimal crowds, like Shipwreck Falls, which was a pleasant surprise.

The reason I bother to compliment SFA so much is for the first time in about 15 years, it doesn't look like the SFA we all know and hate. It doesn't look like the scum park at the bottom of the chain barely turning a profit before being sold. I can confidently say that Six Flags cares about this park and sees potential. I've never seen the park in such great shape. After removing the height restriction a few years ago, I am very interested to see what Six Flags can do here. A Skyscreamer would work well in the near future, the coaster collection is actually quite well rounded. I actually had a tolerable ride on Mind Eraser for the first time in, well, ever.

I'm not saying that I expect to see $15 million annual investments like Six Flags does mistakenly for other parks (MM/Gadv/Gam recently). However, the park has turned a corner in the past couple years. Some smart decisions could make this a relatively competitive park in five years. It just needs some time and attention.

I agree with you big time. I was there on Sunday. I thought there were a lot of people there, especially in the water park. Still, thanks to the two trains, lines went fast. We had a blast. Looking forward to that mixed drink bar at Rajin Cajin. I'm also looking forward to seeing what they do next year.

Earlier this year, SFA had a poll in two places (Facebook and an email survey) asking people what they would like to see next year. The choices were: rollercoaster (regular or extreme), drop tower ride, or swing. Lol, do I have to tell you what I voted for?

What's the lastest on the relocated mouse that's not open yet for some reason? Are they testing it? Is all the track in place?

Trackwork is complete, cars are on the track, and I'm not completely sure if testing has begun. Other than that, which I found out myself just by looking at it for two seconds my last visit, there unfortunately isn't much news. I am just as clueless as anybody as to how on earth this relocated wild mouse isn't ready. It isn't a huge deal, but it is pretty pathetic. Doesn't bode well for the outlook of the company. It may even open AFTER Goliath, a coaster that should take 50x more work.

Yet there isn't as much complaining about the slow opening of Ragin' Cajun. Go figure.

...Earlier this year, SFA had a poll in two places (Facebook and an email survey) asking people what they would like to see next year. The choices were: rollercoaster (regular or extreme), drop tower ride, or swing. Lol, do I have to tell you what I voted for?

If it were up to me, I'd put money on a Star Flyer Swing. Not a record breaker but at least 200ft.

Oddly, the most recent pictures I've seen for Ragin Cajun show an essentially completed ride, but no station or queue. Makes me think the station will be minimal (unless they have something prefabricated coming in in a couple larger pieces) which is a bit disappointing seeing the station the ride used to have at SFGAm. Hopefully, it all comes together in the next couple weeks. The park gets a LOT of it's business through the waterpark. Seeing a new water park attraction as the main attraction every third year or even every other year would not be unheard of. Seeing as the park just got approval to build over 200' and used a SkyScreamer as a potential reason as to why they may want to build over 200', I'd think a SkyScreamer would be right in line after two coasters in three years. If that does happen in 2015, a new water park attraction is almost certain in 2016 (a mat-racer seems the most likely). Wild One celebrates it's 100th "birthday" (since it originally opened as Giant Coaster at Paragon Park) in 2017. I've heard rumors of a Rocky Mountain treatment, but honestly, I would DESPISE that idea! Wild One is a fantastic classic wooden coaster that is running in near perfect condition. If they want to do other improvements like restoring the original turnaround or improving the blocking, that's fine, but do not add inversions and whatnot. If they want to build a new, smaller Rocky Mountain coaster (like Outlaw Run), I'd be all for that, but don't change Wild One!

Oddly, the most recent pictures I've seen for Ragin Cajun show an essentially completed ride, but no station or queue. Makes me think the station will be minimal (unless they have something prefabricated coming in in a couple larger pieces) which is a bit disappointing seeing the station the ride used to have at SFGAm. Hopefully, it all comes together in the next couple weeks. The park gets a LOT of it's business through the waterpark. Seeing a new water park attraction as the main attraction every third year or even every other year would not be unheard of. Seeing as the park just got approval to build over 200' and used a SkyScreamer as a potential reason as to why they may want to build over 200', I'd think a SkyScreamer would be right in line after two coasters in three years. If that does happen in 2015, a new water park attraction is almost certain in 2016 (a mat-racer seems the most likely). Wild One celebrates it's 100th "birthday" (since it originally opened as Giant Coaster at Paragon Park) in 2017. I've heard rumors of a Rocky Mountain treatment, but honestly, I would DESPISE that idea! Wild One is a fantastic classic wooden coaster that is running in near perfect condition. If they want to do other improvements like restoring the original turnaround or improving the blocking, that's fine, but do not add inversions and whatnot. If they want to build a new, smaller Rocky Mountain coaster (like Outlaw Run), I'd be all for that, but don't change Wild One!

I agree. I think a Skyscreamer is most likely for 2015, and it would make sense to finally have something taller than Superman, maybe the same height as Gadv's- around 240 ft. After that, a waterpark addition is a good bet in 2016. As for Wild One, I don't see a huge project on that- maybe a little retracking and paint. Roar would be an interesting layout for RMC to work with, I think, but they did some retracking in the offseason on the first half. The second half is still very jarring.

Outside of this, SFA is still lacking in B&M's. Another relocation before 2018 probably isn't out of the question. I would much rather have a new coaster, especially from RMC, but I don't personally think Six Flags is ready to invest so heavily in the dry park. To my knowledge, the theme park still has very low attendance, but I don't know any exact figures.