TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Another Bizarro clone? Just because SFGAd and SFMM both seem unlikely to give up theirs. Plus, I wouldn't mind another B&M with snappy transitions at all!

The good thing with the clones (especially the Batmans) is that you can NOW get an intense B&M!

Here's a crazy idea, move SFMM's Goliath to SFA

Are you insane? Why would they ever do this?

Goliath is one of the most popular rides at SFMM, SFA already has a hypercoaster that (while far from perfect) is much better than Goliath at SFMM, SFMM has more than enough room to do whatever they want to Colossus already and moving a hypercoaster from California to Maryland would be incredibly expensive.

SFA doesn't need a hypercoaster, they need something unique that they don't have anywhere else in the park... like a tree for example. I'm just hoping for a tree.

How about Time Machine from Freestyle Music Park? Currently it's just collecting dust, and they could get it for much less than a new coaster. I know it's not the best, but it would probably be the second or third best coaster at SFA. Just tossin out ideas.

I was thinking the same thing. All of the coasters from Freestyle would fit really well into SFA. They are just sitting there waiting for someone to buy them.

Here's a crazy idea, move SFMM's Goliath to SFA

Are you insane? Why would they ever do this?

Goliath is one of the most popular rides at SFMM, SFA already has a hypercoaster that (while far from perfect) is much better than Goliath at SFMM, SFMM has more than enough room to do whatever they want to Colossus already and moving a hypercoaster from California to Maryland would be incredibly expensive.

SFA doesn't need a hypercoaster, they need something unique that they don't have anywhere else in the park... like a tree for example. I'm just hoping for a tree.[/quote]

This

But in all seriousness, and I think most of us would agree, I'd rather have SFA focus on rounding out their family ride collection, improving Gotham City, and improving operations before a new coaster is added. A Skyscreamer in 2015 probably would be a good addition.

Does anyone know the reason that SFA chooses to run 1 train on most coasters almost every day of the year? Is this SFA managements' decision, or Six Flags as a company? I've heard they do this to not send out empty trains, and to save money (however that works). But, Gadv runs all trains on most coasters almost every day. On opening day at Gadv, Bizarro was running 3 trains even when it was a walk on until mid afternoon.

Does anyone know the reason that SFA chooses to run 1 train on most coasters almost every day of the year? Is this SFA managements' decision, or Six Flags as a company? I've heard they do this to not send out empty trains, and to save money (however that works). But, Gadv runs all trains on most coasters almost every day. On opening day at Gadv, Bizarro was running 3 trains even when it was a walk on until mid afternoon.

You're saving money by not running the lift hill motors or launch mechanisms, plus even things like drive tires and station gates, as often. Those last two are likely minuscule compared to the first ones, but it all adds up. There's a reason that Joker launches slower than every other Premier spaghetti bowl out there (very expensive to launch a heavy coaster train already, without the extra speed), and there's a reason why Batwing hardly ever uses its second station (half the staff). The place doesn't have the profit margin that the bigger parks like Great Adventure have, so without all those extra people coming through the gates there's no motivation to run 'extra' trains that aren't necessary most days.

You're saving money by not running the lift hill motors or launch mechanisms, plus even things like drive tires and station gates, as often. Those last two are likely minuscule compared to the first ones, but it all adds up. There's a reason that Joker launches slower than every other Premier spaghetti bowl out there (very expensive to launch a heavy coaster train already, without the extra speed), and there's a reason why Batwing hardly ever uses its second station (half the staff). The place doesn't have the profit margin that the bigger parks like Great Adventure have, so without all those extra people coming through the gates there's no motivation to run 'extra' trains that aren't necessary most days.

Well stated. Another good example is most SF parks don't run water rides before or after a certain date.

Corporate doesn't dictate how each parks runs on a day to day basis, but corporate will set profit/revenue goals. It is generally the park president's call how to reach those goals.

I think its a staffing issue.

Does anyone know the reason that SFA chooses to run 1 train on most coasters almost every day of the year?

Absolutely... according to the operations manager of the park

"Well...we think it looks bad when empty ride cars are sent out, so we generally only run one at a time to ensure that every one is full."

No really... I'm not joking.

I think this is the page where this came up initially.

I have spoken with management at a few parks. It does not really cost a park more to actually run a ride with two trains. The lift hill is still going to run weather its two trains or not, its just how many times it runs. Which in reality these mechanisms are designed for the wear and tear.

Do they run only one train on Saturdays too? I would hope they'd step up to 2-trains once the lines get beyond 15-20 min.

(As someone who will be at the park Saturday, I really hope they don't do that...I don't want to have to buy a flash pass because they won't run more than 1 train.)

On a Saturday, I would expect 2 trains on up to three of the coasters, in all likelihood. Wild One and Superman, occasionally Mind Eraser will CONSIDER running 2 on Saturdays/busier days. I've never seen Batwing run 2, which is unfortunate, as it has the lowest hourly capacity and longest lines. I wouldn't imagine you'd need a flash pass. You can easily get 2 rides on every coaster without one on the busiest days of the year. I did the last Saturday of 2013 FF.

(As someone who will be at the park Saturday, I really hope they don't do that...I don't want to have to buy a flash pass because they won't run more than 1 train.)

I would be shocked if you ever needed to buy a Flash Pass to accomplish everything at SFA in a single trip, and that goes for any day of the year.

I would be shocked if you ever needed to buy a Flash Pass to accomplish everything at SFA in a single trip, and that goes for any day of the year.

True, but we may still do it to get through everything a few times by 2PM or so and then go do some touristy things in the city.

True, but we may still do it to get through everything a few times by 2PM or so and then go do some touristy things in the city.

It wouldn't save you any time until 1. All walk ons until then.

^ & ^^, thanks!

I've been to the park twice before (and ridden the clones of SROS, JJ, ME, Batwing elsewhere), but my buddy hasn't. Personally, I'd be fine hitting SROS, Wild One, and JJ as many times as possible, and then maybe getting one lap in on everything else.

I figure if we beeline for SROS, we'd be able to get a number of rides in on it before the crowds show up, but then we'd probably be screwed for anything else. I would not be bothered in the least if we didn't get to Mind Eraser (or Batwing, for that matter) as I'm not a huge fan of those. What's the best touring plan given all of the above?

I may be leaning towards hitting Wild One first (quite possibly with a re-ride), then RC, Apocalypse, and Roar before heading towards the back of the park. I would expect to be able to hit all four of these within the first 30-45 min or so with normal ride operations.

Then a lap on JJ before heading to SROS and re-riding as many times as possible before the wait gets too long. If the line isn't obnoxious and we're feeling up to it, maybe a lap on Batwing before heading back towards the front of the park, hitting JJ and then Wild One another time or two each, crowd permitting.

Thoughts?

Also, how is Roar running these days? Last time I was at the park it felt like the track was just torn to shreds.

Also,

Honestly, it's April so you won't have waits beyond 15 minutes, with the exception of Batwing if you put it off beyond the first hour of your day. You could easily do Apocalypse on your way back to Superman, follow up your 2-3 rides there with one on Batwing, then Joker on your way back up to the other three. The longest I've ever waited for Wild One is one set of switchbacks, and it won't take you more than 15 minutes to do that. Usually, I can get on within five (well, ten, since we're talking about SFA operations here).

Do they run only one train on Saturdays too? I would hope they'd step up to 2-trains once the lines get beyond 15-20 min.

Yes, they do sometimes. It all depends on the crowds. I went to the park about 5 times the past two season - all on Saturdays and SROS never had two trains. I have not been this year because I moved away from MD so maybe things have changed.

If you get there when they open you won't need Flash Pass. You can literally get all credits in less then 3 hours. Then use the rest of your time for re-rides.

Edited by alilstronger

it amazes me that the 3-4 times I have been to SFA, that with batman batwing always having like a 45min to hr line, ive never seen them run 2 trains. all theme parks should open up with min 2 train operations, they can always take them off later. just terrible park management

Yes, they do sometimes. It all depends on the crowds. I went to the park about 5 times the past two season - all on Saturdays and SROS never had two trains. I have not been this year because I moved away from MD so maybe things have changed.

If you get there when they open you won't need Flash Pass. You can literally get all credits in less then 3 hours. Then use the rest of your time for re-rides.

Gets even better during water park time. When it is open, there is barely a 5 minute wait. Great!

it amazes me that the 3-4 times I have been to SFA, that with batman batwing always having like a 45min to hr line, ive never seen them run 2 trains. all theme parks should open up with min 2 train operations, they can always take them off later. just terrible park management

They have not ran two trains in years on that. The double station was a great idea in theory and when it first opened they used both. This park just does not have the guest numbers for them to used two.