TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Anybody have any updates on Ragin Cajun construction?

I'm curious and like to see for myself, but since it's going in Two Face's old spot it'll be hard to get a good view from outside the park. Opening day is on April 5th and I might make a visit and check it out.

Anybody have any updates on Ragin Cajun construction?

From what I've heard, there's not much to see. Site clearing had started before the end of the 2013 season. The coaster is on-site, it's sitting just on the opposite side of the fence of where it will go. It's a portable model, so it will go up pretty fast. The bulk of the construction time will be before vertical construction even starts. The park does have a YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter page and they have been trying to get more people to like/favorite each of those by posting some content on just one or two of those sites at a time (SFNE has been posting ton of photos of their construction on Twitter that they aren't posting on FaceBook).

^Okay I'll give you that one, but I feel like I'm in the dark with the rest of the Six Flags parks. Usually I find out through some coaster blog or even members on TPR.

I'll never get the obsession enthusiasts have with ride construction. I'm interested in the original announcements, I want to know when construction stats, I want to know when construction ends and I want to know when the ride opens.

^ I am very much the same way about construction as well. Over on the Kings Island thread, it felt like every single piece was documented when it was placed. However, an occasional update every month or so wouldn't hurt so that curious people, enthusiasts or not, have a look at what's happening. That being said, a wild mouse does not need a webcam or a daily (or even weekly) recap of construction.

^Okay I'll give you that one, but I feel like I'm in the dark with the rest of the Six Flags parks. Usually I find out through some coaster blog or even members on TPR.

I'll never get the obsession enthusiasts have with ride construction. I'm interested in the original announcements, I want to know when construction stats, I want to know when construction ends and I want to know when the ride opens.

I completely agree. I have never understood why people like looking at dirt and half-constructed coasters.

Maybe it is because I cannot build anything other than Ikea Furniture.

I'm not obsessed with construction, I just like knowing whats going on at the parks. So it'd make me feel better knowing that ragin Cajun has track in place and they've topped off the lift, ect. And speaking of construction, SFA has posted a video for Ragin' Cajun, and briefly in the video, they have show 2 construction pics of ragin cajun. track is on site! link to the video is below.

It's funny, I used to be like several recent posters and didn't care or understand the hype about construction updates. But for a while now I've enjoyed tracking a few projects here and there. I'm not sure if it's the aesthetics, the sense of a mystery being slowly solved when we don't know all the details beforehand, or just a way to kill a few minutes a day during the off-season. Could be all of those or none, but it's something I've come around to enjoy a bit.

I'm excited about any and all construction projects, and want to see a lot of updates. I love Coasters, I love Parks, and construction is the process of making the Parks better! Plus, its fun to watch construction and read updates during the off season. I figured all Coaster Enthusiasts loved the construction process.

^^ No I'm not referencing a Web cam. I'm just saying that little updates are nice. I didn't even expect a webcam for Goliath. My point is, I like construction updates, and several Parks keep it very limited. I have not heard anything for SFA. I know its just a relocated Ride, but its still a big deal for the Park. That's all I'm saying.

In today's social media age it is kind of dumb NOT to be updating guests on a marketable capital addition, IMO. It's a great way to keep your guests interested and can help convince them to buy season passes, plan a visit, etc. Granted there may be nothing really to update at this point, but if there is they are missing out on a very cheap and easy form of advertising.

I'm more curious to see how the whole "Mardi Gras" theme of the area comes together. Lord knows that side of the park needed some sprucing up, and a Reverchon Spinning Mouse definitely beats the bare expanse of concrete where Two-Face used to stand.

...Ragin Cajun has track in place and they've topped off the lift, ect.

Out of curiosity, I've wondered- do construction people go through with the whole flag thing when they top off the majestic lift hills of Mouse Coasters/RollerSkaters etc. or would hypoxia and other dangers of the sort rule that out?

Some pictures from yesterday...

Go here for some more photographs!

1.jpg.45840f22fdd5a242488d5f62ad79a8c7.jpg

Shipwreck Falls looks a bit worn...as everything else in the park does I suppose.

2.jpg.2eb4a0e80edcc456cc3b0dc01c3ae0d8.jpg

Anyway, off to Mardi Gras...

3.jpg.bbfabe2da6f5d3827145f82622050682.jpg

There won't be any fooling today, unfortunately.

4.jpg.2a7ee161f72b31b00ef443bcf4ee2b1f.jpg

This is the pad where French Quarter Flyers will sit. They cut out all the trees and green, for a "more open" look. I was told some small bushes and shrubbery will be placed back in this spot, but I wouldn't put my money on it. (this is the spot across from Johnny Rockets)

5.jpg.2b7bbd40eb2e5ad742c2fb4429d2f772.jpg

Walking around the corner...

6.jpg.9e45dadd7e653afdd0bf167ec08df182.jpg

7.jpg.0bccdb9766940cb0474958be3f85cf05.jpg

Back side of the FQF pad.

8.jpg.53164e0b6d417f212d4f86b5abb081a4.jpg

The level of theming and detail is just astounding.

9.jpg.b4e460a0269ac723bd514986c31b26cc.jpg

11.jpg.ee308b9ce14a98910760bc9123254beb.jpg

This is where Ragin Cajun is going in. No vertical construction yet.

12.jpg.553f5e3d0e02701ed3d9e056ed506c47.jpg

13.jpg.4adc785c266bb43331155c347d9cf242.jpg

14.jpg.d0ed4bef4f94514368674e7161a6eeda.jpg

Hmm...wonder what that could be for.

15.jpg.2972a85117c389325bbc284211f971cf.jpg

Senora Speedway has been renamed the Big Easy Speedway. The cars will be the same, but they will have a very different look, supposedly.

16.jpg.88fceff179f2cb8dd52d725e33f2ede4.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.f792677b6f1657f9606c0926e44115f9.jpg

Tower of Doom will be renamed Voodoo Drop. None of the reps knew the color it's being painted, so I assume it's staying the same.

18.jpg.832e63b0321f2d2752340fd8a9a3151f.jpg

This thing is missing from the top, however.

19.jpg.14f9cc420b73c6bde021f81dc7e951ef.jpg

Falling Star has been renamed Zydeco Zinger and has received a fresh coat of purple paint.

20.jpg.73ac237e0564f2fc4e62f168a9e21777.jpg

21.jpg.e392891b5a324e0aa555d6b33ecf98ac.jpg

Joker is getting a fresh new layer of dark purple paint on the supports. The difference isn't quite so apparent because of the sun's location in this picture, but trust me, it looks pretty fab in person.

22.jpg.5c81e074b474ae97dc6929e432a3b1b0.jpg

Seems Joker is shedding its old paint all over the place, and I'm so big of a geek I grabbed a piece and took it home with me.

That's all, thanks for reading.

Edited by zachclarke2