TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Happy to see SFA getting some more updates and rides! The park has really transformed in the last 3 or so years but DT is right, it still does have a bad reputation with the local folks. I think that will change but it'll take some time and people will need to be convinced to go there and see the changes for themselves. Hersheypark, SFGAdv, Kings Dominion, and BGW are all within a reasonable driving distance of DC and have tv/radio ads on all the time here so people seem to go to those parks instead. A ride is a ride and I'm glad SFA is getting some new additions!

• 2 weeks later...
Is SFA close to a Metro station? I can take the Metro from Reagan airport to my hotel and everywhere thing else I want to see, but not sure about a station near SFA.

There may be a bus terminal close, but the train doesn't go out that way.

http://www.wmata.com/index.cfm?forcedesktop=1

Just input Six Flags for your destination. It is really helpful.

Yeah, you'll have to take a Metrobus to the stop that's right out front (which I'm sure also has a stop at the Branch Avenue or maybe Largo stops on the Metro), and then walk through the parking lot to get to the entrance. You're essentially going to get dropped off at the same place they have people drop their kids off up front, and then walking the sidewalk back to the park!

Is SFA close to a Metro station? I can take the Metro from Reagan airport to my hotel and everywhere thing else I want to see, but not sure about a station near SFA.

Yes there is. What you will have to do is take the BLUE line metro train out to Largo Town Center or Addison Road Metro and catch the bus. The bus picks up from both locations. The bus you need to take is the C29. See the bus schedule here at: wmata.com/bus/timetables/md/c2129.pdf

Please note that right now the park is only open on weekends and so make sure you look at that Saturday or Sunday schedule because the busses don't run as late on the weekend as they do during the weekdays. I believe that last bus leaving the park is at 7:30 PM so don't miss the bus or else you will have to get a cab to take you to the metro train station. If you use the smart trip card (which is the metro card that you load money onto), the bus only costs $1.60 each way. The cost of the train ride will depend on what station you are starting from.

Once at the park I suggest you walk up to the front gate via the parking lot exit because there is a side walk. You will also likely see many park employees in the highlighter shirts talking the bus and walking in as well so you can just follow them towards the front gate.

Please note that right now the park is only open on weekends and so make sure you look at that Saturday or Sunday schedule because the busses don't run as late on the weekend as they do during the weekdays. I believe that last bus leaving the park is at 7:30 PM so don't miss the bus or else you will have to get a cab to take you to the metro train station. If you use the smart trip card (which is the metro card that you load money onto), the bus only costs $1.60 each way. The cost of the train ride will depend on what station you are starting from.

If you use a SmartTrip, isn't the transfer to a bus from the train free so long as it's made within an hour of you leaving the station?

^

Transfers

Metro riders can take advantage of free bus-to-bus transfers within a two-hour time period and discounted transfers between rail and bus by using a SmarTrip® card. Customers who use a SmarTrip® card instead of cash receive a 20¢ discount on bus fares, so it saves riders money too.

Metrobus to Metrobus: Bus-to-bus transfers with a SmarTrip® card are valid for free, unlimited Metrobus connections (including round trips) within a two-hour period.

Metrobus to Metrorail. Metrobus riders who transfer to the Metrorail system will receive a discount of 50¢ if they use a SmarTrip® card.

Metrorail to Metrobus: Metrorail riders who transfer to Metrobus will receive a discount of 50¢ if they use a SmarTrip® card.

http://www.wmata.com/fares/metrobus.cfm

Has anyone been to the SFA Halloween event? I'm on the fence about going so any feedback would be great. Are there any standouts in the region that I should travel to instead?

In our area of the world, I think KD does the best, followed closely by BG. Hershey just kinda uses it as an excuse to stay open.

SFA's event is pretty weak, except for their maze Backwood Bloodshed. Small groups walk along a narrow dirt path in the dark woods in the back of the park, and it's still one of the best mazes I've done anywhere simply because of the atmosphere. I believe it's an upcharge. They also have an indoor maze that was decent over by Roar, and the teacups are always a blast at Halloween. The rest is a bit bland, but they try (one of their "mazes" is basically a path in the park that's blocked off and has some obstacles, actors, and a fog machine or two). And the rides are open in the dark, which doesn't happen very often for SFA over the summer.

My family and I really enjoy the shows and entertainment at SFA Fright Fest, and we attend every year because we have season passes. But if you're more interested in scare mazes and in-your-face frights, yeah, there are better places to go within the region, most of which have already been named.

SFA's Fright Fest is NOT worth it. If you want to go through GOOD haunted attractions go to The Haunted Mill in PA, Halloween Park in PA, Bennetts Curse in MD, and Frightland in DE.

Don't forget Jason's Woods......PA

When I went to Jason's Woods I thought it was terrible. I did love Creepy Woods in MD. I love the slide part because you never see that.

For flat out scares, there are certainly some better options, but this region is jam packed with some of the best haunted attractions in the nation. Unfortunately, being a theme park, SFA can't/doesn't go as hard core as some of these stand alone attractions, but they are leaps and bounds better than they were a few years ago. This year, they'll have two indoor mazes, an outdoor maze, an outdoor/through the woods path type attraction, and multiple "scare zones" along with several shows (including a fantastic magician). The big plus for SFA (in comparison to the stand alone haunted attractions) is that you get the rides in addition to the scares and that you can get all of the additional scares at SFA for just $10 (if you have a season pass).

• 1 month later...
I really hope they get rid of that crap station. It's in the perfect spot to be used for Rajun Cajun's station as well, but I really hope they replace it with something at least a little nicer. I imagine they will, it's probably pretty rusty by now.

And they also ripped the air gates out of it 3 years ago^. My guess is it's going to be used as a switchback queue for Ragin Cajun.

I am just glad they are finally doing something with that spot. That whole area looks terrible. I wish their "behind the scenes" area behind where Two Face was had a big wall so you could not see all the crap back there.

The 'family coaster' category is needed for this park so its good they are finally getting one. Even though i'd rather see something custom this is better than nothing.

I looked at Google Maps, and where Two Face used to sit looks so dirty and unkept. I think Ragun Cajun over there will be a great improvement, and maybe in a couple of years SF Corp will give SFA a nice new Coaster? You never know.

• 3 weeks later...

And they are gladly re-theming the "Southwest Territory" though there was almost never anything there to make you think that; Plus in addition to 2 new rides, all the rides except for Wild One are getting renamed.

Falling Star- Zydeco Zinger

Sonora Speedway- Big Easy Speedway

Tower of Doom- Voodoo Drop

http://www.screamscape.com/html/sfa-2014_0.htm

I'm more concerned with whether or not they're going to repaint those rides as part of rebranding and follow through on the addition of "delicious food, exciting games, yummy beverages, and fun retail shops". New additions are wonderful, but that area of the park looks like a junk yard (and the rusted/chipped painted look of Sonora Speedway and that section of Wild One is certainly not giving that area life). It would be awesome if they could make that area look like the final section of the Thunderbolt@Kennywood, light package and all :wishfulthinking:.