TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

If this is Ragin' Cajun from SFGAm at least that means I don't have to go to SFA to get the credit.

This, lol!

Hopefully this is a sign the park is going on the right track. I remember that particular one spun a lot.

I'm happy SFA is getting these rides. I agree with anyone that said SFa should be focused of family. It's the perfect size for it! I visited SFA in July and I liked the park. It could use some work but the park isn't bad at all. These rides are going to fit perfectly.

I like both rides as I've both been on them, and I've never been at SFA, but I agree with the peoples who say it looks more of a family park than a thrillseeker's paradise (of what I've seen and heard of it). This is why I think it's a good addition to the park, and if Six Flags also takes the occasion to improve a whole area of the park, that's even better !

I think it's good that SFA is adding a flat ride (and a decent one at that), since they have always been rather poor in that aspect. Not sure what happened to the starflyer.....especially since they have requested and gotten a variance to build over 200ft. That might have made me want to pay a visit to SFA next year...but, oh well, I guess I'll just have to continue to plan on hitting KD (which I consider to be my home park for the foreseeable future), HP, BGE and SF Great Adventure for my local jaunts in 2014. Guess this is just going to be an ongoing work in progress that will take ages, rather like restoring an old building, so I'm not holding my breath for a quick "finish" date. So when/if the restoration shows signs of completion a few years from now, I will probably want to come back and check out the site.

As much as I wanted to see a brand new coaster I am happy they are getting something. If they are putting this new section in the middle of the park as speculated that would be neat because there is nothing in that old middle section now. The flyers I can do without. Kings Domion, Knoebels, and Hersheypark all have them around here. I like seeing all the "investment" into the park but I would like to see some new custom coasters.

Will this be good for the park... yes. The general public that come here eat up this park. So many people obsess over Mind Eraser likes its the best coaster they have ever ridden.

Also it took them till the middle of the summer to build and open their new water slides this summer. I guess we can expect these new rides to open 4th of July weekend next year

This announcement is not about Six Flags America getting 10 new roller coasters including a mega-lite; therefore, this announcement sucks!!!11!!!!1!!

Come on, people! I think this is great news! I served on a focus group at SFA a couple years ago. The two things everyone in the group agreed on was that the park needed a family coaster to bridge the gap between The Great Chase and Wild One, and it needed an annual holiday event. Now, half of those needs are being met. Plus I like flyers, so that's a bonus!

Now, if only they would add a shooting dark ride....

I know I'm setting myself up for another round of flames, but as I seem to say in this thread at least once a year, SFA really took great strides to reinvent itself as a family-friendly park a few years ago, and the fruits of that labor have ripened. A spinning mouse and a new flat ride are excellent fits for the "new" SFA.

How is the Mardi Gras section of SFGAm anyway? Didn't they get a whole Six Flags makeover when they added in Ragin Cajun in '04? It sounds like Six Flags is gutting that section (or what there is to gut) of the park at SFGAm and transplanting it to SFA, no?

^Only Ragin Cajun is leaving SFGAm. I believe that section of the SFGAm will still have three Mardi Gras themed rides.

Correct. There's the Big Easy Balloons, Jester's Wild Ride, and King Chaos. They also have the Roaring Rapids but that isn't themed to Mardi Gras.

Is it possible that this isn't a relocation from SFGAM but instead a new Zamperla spinning mouse coaster from all together? Seems kind of odd that Great America would remove the only centerpiece attraction of their Mardi Gras section and not some of the other flats as well.

main_WASHRaginCajun.jpg.262371b2e08e19cb5d5e74df2416ad3b.jpg

It’s official. Coming in 2014, Six Flags America will introduce a new Mardi Gras section of the park along with the addition of two exhilarating new rides. Ragin’ Cajun, a spinning, fast-track roller coaster, will be the theme park’s 9th roller coaster. Ragin’ Cajun will be joined by a new family-friendly, flying ride dubbed French Quarter Flyers. Both attractions will be located in the festive new Mardi Gras section of the park.

The new Mardi Gras area is a celebration of culture and entertainment. The festive new section is themed after the energy and liveliness of New Orleans. You can expect the snappy jazz, blues, and zydeco music as it pours into streets. Plus delicious food, exciting games, yummy beverages, and fun retail shops will help bring the spirit of the South to Six Flags America.

Ragin’ Cajun will be the park’s ninth roller coaster. This fast-track roller coaster twists, turns, tilts, and rotatesaround a 1,378-foot-long zigzagging track. The unique four-passenger train spins 360° and zips through breathtaking turns, which are sure to thrill even the most extreme coaster riders. This roller coaster is sure to be as wild as its name and will add a new and adrenaline-charged ride experience to the existing coaster collection.

The young and fun at heart will love French Quarter Flyers, you’ll glide through the air in one of eight flying cars. Each vehicle has a stationary rear wing and a moveable front wing and can travel at speeds up to 40 miles-per-hour. You can be the pilot and control your own riding destiny as you pump up the thrill for a more intense wild flight or simply sit back, take it easy and enjoy the ride.

The new Cajun-themed attractions at the park are set to debut in 2014. Are ya’ll ready to take on this all-new Mardi Gras party?

Laissez les bons temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!)

MM71209-a.jpg.b0bb6e5ed8c6ceea0527430cfaa2cb08.jpg

MM71209-b.jpg.126148439589746166c43d9419999c0d.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

This is great... I heard on the radio on WTOP the announcement of Mardis Gras and I was so excited. They said the two new rides would be placed in the Southwest Territory section of the park and the area will be re-themed to Mardis Gras. Can't wait to hear the jazz music playing and the lights and food that they will improve the area with. I'm very pleased!

Glad to see the park is finally getting some love. 2 coasters in 3 years, even used is still a great thing.

I never understood why Six Flags ignored the park for the most part, being in such a huge market.

I totally agree. I don't understand people complaining about used coasters. It allows the park to market "new" rides to the GP at a low cost, while sprucing up the coaster collection (which, if you think about it, is very diverse for the park's size: inverted, stand-up, flyer, launched, 2 woodies, spinning mouse). Hopefully they're saving up to spend a relatively large chunk of change on a new coaster (perhaps custom) in the future. A solid sit-down or new woodie would be great for the park. More water park expansions are always welcome as well .

EDIT: I may take a day and just park myself on French Quarter Flyers. Good choice for a new flat, SFA. My favorite.

Moving this ride from SFGAm to SFA is a good idea (it's a much better fit) and Flyers rule. I can't help but think though that without a massive commitment to customer service and guest safety, combined with a massive PR campaign letting area residents know that this park isn't the "old" SFA, that they're going to continue to struggle in this market. Like it or not, this park has a poor reputation, especially when compared to other parks in a 3 or so hour drive. They really need to convince most of MD that it's worth visiting and spending your money there.

dt