TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I am weird and I actually really like Mind Eraser. I love the newer colors on it and I feel like they fit that western theme a lot better than the teal and red did. To me the front row is not that rough. The roughest SLC I have ridden is the one at Canada's Wonderland.

Just stopped by SFA for a quick visit. Here is the quick run down of what I did:

Mind Eraser (1 lap, walk on, 1 train operation)

Welp, I got my one lap for the year. Until 2014, Mind Eraser! And it's still the same orange and yellow except for the blue Kia advertisement wrapping on one of its trains.

Apocalypse (1 lap, ~15 min., 1 train operation)

I can see how on a busy day 1 train operation would be a problem; the staff was just doing "okay" with dispatches. Overall, I still think it's decently fun except for the exit of the corkscrew---major head bang-age.

Joker's Jinx (1 lap, ~10 min., 1 train operation)

A great ride as always.

Batwing (1 lap, ~10 min., 1 train operation)

Thank God they repainted Batwing's supports; they're now a very nice, dark charcoal color as opposed to rusting, faded purple. And I think I grow smidge more fond of this coaster every time I ride it.

Superman (2 laps, ~10-15 min., 1 train operation)

Maintenance was still working on the red train while the blue train seemed to me to be running well. Objectively, it was still kind of shaky. Personally, it didn't bother me and I had a blast as always; full train and hauling ass!

Wild One (1 lap, ~15 min., 1 train operation)

Sadly, I would have to agree that Wild One is running rougher than last year. However, it was running fast and still gave good air over most of the hills and nice laterals in the helix.

One thing that has not changed, however, is ride down time. In the 3.5 hours I was there Superman, Batwing, and Wild One all had breakdowns. They all got back up and running in relatively short time, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

Meanwhile, over in "I've been running with PTC's for the past decade plus change" land:

062013113621.thumb.jpg.cb884d4e3513e5eb2b45f3bbb02bb4ae.jpg

I think something is missing...

^That's a pretty massive section of track missing, especially for mid-season. The optimist in me would love for this to be the start of Rocky Mountain's next project, the realist in me says that this is just bad maintenance by the park to the point that a mid-year massive fix is necessary. If it was a Rocky Mountain overhaul, you'd have thought they would have said SOMETHING before shutting it down, which makes me HIGHLY doubtful that that is the plan... though, if it was, at least they might have it ready by opening day 2014 (meanwhile, we still wait for the park to open their 2013 addition)...

Hi everybody!

Next week, my family and I are heading down to Baltimore next week. We are going to stop at Six Flags America on the way home. How do you think the crowds will be on a Wednesday? I have never been to this park and I've heard mixed reactions. I've heard that it's improving a lot and I've heard it still sucks. I just want some advice for when I go. I'm really not going in with very high expectations. Thanks in advance!

^ What do you mean by most coasters? Like Superman and Joker's Jinx. I'm kind of expecting Apocalypse to have a longer line since it's the newest coaster there. Also, should I get the Flash Pass based on the crowds?

Roar will be a walk on (assuming they have repaired the track). Wild One should also be a walk on. Jinx, Mind Eraser, and Superman might be a two or three train wait worst case scenario, longer if you want the front (especially for Superman). Apocalypse might be SLIGHTLY longer, but still, 10-15 min wait at worst. Batwing generally pulls the longest line (up to about 30 mins on a weekday). Lines may look short but will probably move slow (both because of one train operations and slower operations). Riding all of the coasters within 90 minutes is not difficult on a weekday. Head to Batwing first thing in the morning and work your way back up through Gotham City and you shouldn't have any issues.

I went to the park on a Wednesday last summer. I had almost no lines at all. Batwing and Apocalypse were a one cycle wait and then all of the other coasters were walk-ons. Superman was closed all day unfortunately, which was a major letdown.

I highly recommend several rides on Wild One, Batwing, and the Joker's Jinx.

Roar will be a walk on (assuming they have repaired the track). Wild One should also be a walk on. Jinx, Mind Eraser, and Superman might be a two or three train wait worst case scenario, longer if you want the front (especially for Superman). Apocalypse might be SLIGHTLY longer, but still, 10-15 min wait at worst. Batwing generally pulls the longest line (up to about 30 mins on a weekday). Lines may look short but will probably move slow (both because of one train operations and slower operations). Riding all of the coasters within 90 minutes is not difficult on a weekday. Head to Batwing first thing in the morning and work your way back up through Gotham City and you shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks! I'll try that when I go. But, on Six Flags America's website, it said Roar is temporarily closed. I don't think they can repair track, and test the ride enough in 1 week to ensure it's safe. I could be wrong though.

^ From past experiences and what I know about Six Flags America, when something is broke down, it usually takes a long time before they can fix it and get it running again. And if a ride is a constant maintenance nightmare ( such as Two Face, The Octopus, and Iron Eagle), then the park would get rid of it and won't replace it with something else.

Hopefully, this won't be the case with Roar, but this is Six Flags America . . .

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!"

I visited the park last Saturday for the first time. My expectations weren't high based off the park's reputation in the enthusiast community. However, my group had a great time. The lines were rather short, the ride ops were cheerful and efficient, and everything was operating (except Roar). The entire park was much more beautiful than I had imagined. Superman was my first Intamin hyper, and needless to say I was blown away. They're so different than the B&M hypers that I'm accustomed to.

I hope this park continues to grow--the have plenty of room to do so.

^ I am glad you liked the park. Yes, it has a bad rep but it has come along way in just the past 2 seasons. Do they have the biggest baddest rides? No, but what they do have is still fun.

And it could still be Wild World.........I am actually a fan of this park and have always had a good time there. I usually try to visit when the Ravens and Redskins have home games. Traffic is a bitch, but the park is dead!

^yes it has. When the ride was dismantled at AstroWorld is was damaged and unable to be re-assembled (I assume they found out after it arrived at the park and they started assessing the parts). I guess it wasn't worth pouring the money into fixing whatever the damage was. Cost was probably much more than the ride was worth.

According to this video, the county has voted unanimously to lift the park's 200' height limit. According to what I had read previously, the park was previously banned from building ANYTHING above 200' (without exception). The new regulation allows the park to build above 200', however, they need to get special permission for anything that exceeds 200' (though there is no upper limit). When they asked for this change in regulation, the example ride they used for a possible reason to want to go above 200' was a Sky Screamer, so I'd imagine one of those could be coming in the next few years, though the question is if they would build something conservative in the 250'-300' range to be similar to WindSeeker at Kings Dominion or if they would go a little crazier and build something 400'+ along the lines of what SFNE and SFOT are building. Personally, I don't see them building a coaster over 200' any time soon because 1) I don't think they really need to and 2) I don't think Six Flags would invest that sort of capital in the park, however, I could see a Sky Screamer, observation tower, and/or free fall type tower all over 200' (the park's current free fall tower is a measly 150' tall and is riddled with mechanical issues) in the next 5-10 years...

The county also voted to allow the park to have more fireworks and stay open later (which will GREATLY help around Fright Fest), both positive changes!

http://www.nbcwashington.com/video/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DCBrand#!/news/local/Higher-Coasters-Possible-at-Six-Flags/214315621

^O.M.G! I never thought I would see the day... The county is finally allowing the park to be competitive... Albeit, I don't necesarily think that height is necessary to be competitive... but I think this will help the park keep up with KD. I think a 400ft sky screamer is possible.

Roar has been closed since I went on the 16th. The train was still on the lift the last time I went there two weeks later. And yeah, SFA is almost ready to go "higher." http://www.nbcwashington.com/video/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DCBrand#!/news/local/Higher-Coasters-Possible-at-Six-Flags/214315621

^ That's the link to the story explaining SFA's new announcement .

I was at the park on the 3rd and Roar was open and running. Forgot that SFA's doesn't have the Millenium Flyer trains like its West Coast cousin. Have to say it seemed to be slower and less fun than than SFDK's.

This was my 3rd visit to SFA and we spent a total of 2 hours in the park doing a lap of most the rides. Everything was a walk on and running 1 train. The staff seemed lack luster and just kind of there, though most were trying to get some enthusiasm going from guests by doing high fives when people were exiting a ride. The park it's self was basically how I recalled it, every thing is just there, nothing really amazes or disappoints. Have to say it seemed Superman had more of a shake/shuffle than my last ride on it. And it was odd having really fun and decent ride on Batwing. Apocalypse was a new credit for me but was nothing memorable as far as stand ups go, but I did like the effort they attempted in doing some theming. All in all I was content with my visit and will probably not visit again this season.