TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

If a whole lot of trackwork is done when the upgrade happens, then yes it does make a big difference. Wildcat at Hershey is better now, five years later, than it was before, and the first year or two were even better. It definitely hasn't deteriorated to where it was before, and it shouldn't with them running.

Everyone complains about Gwazi being just as bad as before, but I rode it multiple times in January because I actually enjoyed it so I'm not so sure what they're all talking about. I definitely found it to be improved over the last time I rode, a few years back. Trackwork would've certainly helped, though, for sure.

Gotham City definitely needs some shade--and something other than concrete and asphalt to add a little color.

It is ironic (and sad) given that SF America is immediately next to Belt Woods, a very special ecological preserve that includes some old growth forest (which was saved from becoming ugly tract homes).

Apocalypse seemed even rougher than it did as Iron Wolf. The only re-ridable coaster there is Superman, not the best Intamin but a pretty good one.

I rode Giant Coaster near Boston as a teenager and remember it being better than Wild One is now. You can see how the turnaround for Wild One has been tamed (some original bents are under the current track).

Was at the park yesterday. Wild One was running rougher than I remember. Kind of unfortunate, but still my favorite ride in the park I think.

Not much progress on the new slides, which was disappointing. The tower is up and half of the stairs are too, but there's only one piece of slide in the air right now. It's June, you'd think we'd have a new water slide open by now...

^Unfortunately, that is the norm with Six Flags America whenever it comes to new rides or slides: they always open later in the season - Not unlike other parks that will try to open their newest attractions by opening day or Memorial Day.

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!

I was wondering how SFA's new slides were doing since SFNE's seem to have had their opening delayed until next week. If they can get one tower operating correctly, SFA should be able to avoid whatever problems SFNE is having.

Visited for a few hours this afternoon - the park was not as terrible as I'd heard but still very average. Everything was just running one train so despite small crowds the lines were long on Superman and Joker's Jinx. Chronic line cutting didn't make it any better.

Roar was riding very rough, going to have some bruised thighs from that one! Wild One was OK but is definitely kind of rickety at the moment - perhaps at some point it can be repurposed as theming for Apocalypse.

Compared to the other B&M standups I thought Apocalypse seemed a bit slow, but the park has done a good job theming it, fire effects always make things better! Batwing was shut, and properly shut too since they had benches blocking the path. Mind Eraser reminded me of Arkham Asylum's days as Lethal Weapon...

Not all complaints though - I thought the park has done a good job theming and landscaping certain areas, hopefully they will continue this into the less developed parts in the future. The entrance plaza in particular is very well done. As far as a coaster trip goes Superman was the only real thrill, although I like the Flying Dutchman coasters so if Batwing was open that might have been different.

I'm glad to have gone but the park definitely needs something more to round out the ride collection - an El Loco maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the park for about two and a half hours yesterday. I got quite a few pictures of the park, so I'll try and have some of those up tonight. But honestly, I was impressed with the park. Every coaster except Wild One and Batwing were running two trains, and the ones that were running two were doing it very well. What would have been around a half-hour wait with one train was around ten minutes with two on Superman. Even Joker was running two today! But there have been a lot more trees and vegetation added all around the park since I last went. Also, since Train 1 of Superman is back from refurbishment, it's an even better ride now. Airtime on every hill, and it doesn't seem to lose its speed at all. I even started to grey out in the back helix both times I rode it. In the two and a half hours I was there, I rode Mind Eraser once, Superman twice, Joker three times, Apocalypse twice, and Tower of Doom four times. The park is really starting to shape up this season.

^It was a little rougher a few weekends ago than I remember it being last year. It wasn't nearly as bad as people said it was as Iron Wolf when they first moved it though, or at least in my opinion it wasn't. Granted, I don't usually complain too much about a few kinks, especially for a ride that was a company's first foray into coaster design.

I was at the park for about two and a half hours yesterday. I got quite a few pictures of the park, so I'll try and have some of those up tonight. But honestly, I was impressed with the park. Every coaster except Wild One and Batwing were running two trains, and the ones that were running two were doing it very well. What would have been around a half-hour wait with one train was around ten minutes with two on Superman. Even Joker was running two today! But there have been a lot more trees and vegetation added all around the park since I last went. Also, since Train 1 of Superman is back from refurbishment, it's an even better ride now. Airtime on every hill, and it doesn't seem to lose its speed at all. I even started to grey out in the back helix both times I rode it. In the two and a half hours I was there, I rode Mind Eraser once, Superman twice, Joker three times, Apocalypse twice, and Tower of Doom four times. The park is really starting to shape up this season.

Can you be sure to include pics of the repainted Batwing, of the new trees that have been added to the park, and of the construction?