TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I try to make it a point to visit the park at least once a year.

Which proves my point below:

SFA is my home park, I've been a season pass holder since 2006, and go there about every week during the season, and I think I can trust myself when I say this park is improving, rather than listening to people who go there once every one or two years.

It doesn't really make your point at all. I acknowledge that the park is improving, but it still doesn't hold a candle to other parks within reasonable driving distance. You're welcome to love the park, and hope that it gets great new additions. I personally hope it gets better too. But in its current state, I can't rationalize going to the park more than once a year from my own pocket. It just doesn't make financial sense when there are three other parks within 2.5 hours that deliver far greater experiences on all fronts.

I can only really echo what coasterbill is saying.

I do not live in the DMV area but I will go to bat for SFA. The recurring arguement stating that this park is still as bad as it was pre -2007 is just not the case. That much is true! That much is proven!

A park with a rough wooden coaster doesn't make it the worst park in the world (Hurler at KD, Cyclone at SFNE, Ghost Rider Knotts, Rattler SFFT). Just because the park's hypercoaster, Superman, isn't Skyrush also doesn't mean the park sucks. In fact I recall, the Superman Clone (formerly SF Darien Lake) being featured on a roller coaster show back in the day. I enjoy it much more than say Mamba at WOF and Steel Force (personal preference) so it's not the worst. 2002-2007 were tough years for the park. No need to go in depth. Yet the park has been digging out of this. So yes it is better when you compare it to itself but it is also better in critical areas compared to its competitors.

The main area I will highlight is SFA's guest service focus/interaction. This park blew me away compared to the lackluster non-enthusiastic ride attendants, sorry excuse for a restraint check, are joking around with each other on the platform team members at Dorney Park, Kings Dominion, SFOG, Mt. Olympus. Granted, I'm not talking about every single ride at either park but all of the examples had a majority of there team members exibiting these actions. SFA was by far superior. Service was the area that SFA got COMPLETE Fs in and made me hate the park. SFA made me love it again and it says a lot. So much that it leaves something to be desired from the other parks. As for constructive criticism for the park, Guest Service/Friendly team members/ High-fives are not going to be enough by itself (It's surely no Dollywood)... Reliability of rides/ appeal of their rides is still poor.

I have heard people state things about areas of improvement and I view them as opportunties. Not as something to be blown way out of proportion into an endless rant. Areas like the capitol railways train. So likewise, there are definitely some areas that park still needs to address. However, I noticed things this year that completely shocked me in a good way. Little things from them replacing all of their story board signs near Batwing ... SFGAdv, SFGAm still has their old faded signs at Superman and the ride looks terrible and it was very dirty and littered with trash. Many do not criticize other parks fairly for various reasons but I like to look at things fairly. All of these parks have an area of opportunity. You can nit pick all day but you can't single out SFA anymore (A letter missing on batwing sign for example... but there was never a letter missing when i visited last year or this year). Those days are in the past (past years).

So critiques,

SFA should have more than one train on their coasters

Landscaping attention needed to their train route and Two Face area

Enthusiast want a New coaster not re-used coaster

Among others....

Yet,

Even with one train, the line's SFA are still shorter than most other parks you may frequent (more rides per ride)

Landscaping, the definitely made noticable paint touch ups to some flats and signage as well as landscape it's in park paths

SFA got a used coaster but SFNE used coaster and SFGAdv used coaster got more praise, even when SFNE's had way more down time and also has one train.

People complain about walking from Superman to Batwing, yet you heard complain about the people who walk from Dominator to Volcano/Avalanche or from the entrance of White water canyon to the actual station.

Enough pretending that SFA is the epitome of the worst park (Mt. Olympus).

I try to make it a point to visit the park at least once a year.

Which proves my point below:

SFA is my home park, I've been a season pass holder since 2006, and go there about every week during the season, and I think I can trust myself when I say this park is improving, rather than listening to people who go there once every one or two years.

It doesn't really make your point at all. I acknowledge that the park is improving, but it still doesn't hold a candle to other parks within reasonable driving distance. You're welcome to love the park, and hope that it gets great new additions. I personally hope it gets better too. But in its current state, I can't rationalize going to the park more than once a year from my own pocket. It just doesn't make financial sense when there are three other parks within 2.5 hours that deliver far greater experiences on all fronts.

I can only really echo what coasterbill is saying.

My point was proven actually. I said that I'd rather trust myself, a season pass holder to the park for over 6 years now, rather than someone who just goes there once a year, and decide the park "lacks improvement." Most of the people who write the critical posts about SFA are the people who "try to visit once year." The ones who are give SFA a chance, and visit it frequently and know and see the improvements. Even some of the one time visitor's seen improvements. Also, coasters don't make a park, and I believe that's the only reason people seem to hate SFA. You can't just plop an amazing coaster in a park, it's not RCT, and it's not that easy. First of all, you need land, and SFA only has 131 acres for the dry-side, which is rather small compared to 380 acres KD uses for park operations. Also, I know someone from the state or something has to approve of it most of the time. Also I highly disagree with you saying SFA's coasters aren't worth it. SFA has a lot of neat coasters, that have a neat history, for instance:

Mind Eraser: One of the world's first Vekoma SLC's

Two-Face: One of the only Invertigo coasters

Wild One: A very historic coaster

Batwing: One of the first flying coasters in the world,and one of the only Vekoma flying coasters in the world.

Superman: was once the tallest coaster on the east coast

Apocalypse: B&M's first coaster.

Like I said, KI has a lot of the same coasters SFA has, and that's one of the most top-rated parks in the country. Also , like I always continuously saying, even though SFA may not be the best park ever, it's still an awesome place to go to, and I do think some improvements can be made. I never leave SFA without a smile on my face, and love it so much.

I've noticed that a lot of the people defending this park live in the DC, Maryland area. I think the reason may be that if you've been going to the park for the last few years it sounds like it's improved and you're judging it against itself 5-10 years ago.

We defended it probably because we have more knowledge on it than the people who don't live around the area. I have been to many parks, and have a season pass for KD also, and still think the park has improved greatly since 2007-2009. Ever since 2010, SFA has been receiving new rides every season so far, Bonzai Pipelines going to be the fourth new ride in a row, and the park got an expansion/ a newly area in 2010. How is the park dying?, This is the list of the new rides we got since 1999:

1999: Two-Face, and Jokers Jinx get built.

2000: Superman gets built

2001: Batwing gets built

2003: The Penguin's Blizzard Blast gets built

2005: Paradise Island becomes Hurricane harbor, and adds Bahama Blast, and Tornado

2006: Wave Pool gets expanded and becomes one of the largest wave pools in the world

2008: Halfpipe comes to SFA

2010: Thomas Town comes.

2011: Hurricane Mountain transformed to "ZoomAzon Falls."

2012: Apocalypse gets built.

2013: Bonzai Pipelines coming.

As you can see, the park's been adding new rides very often.

The last two posters have suggested that we are arguing that the park has not improved. Nobody said that at all... I acknowledged that it probably is improving as did Yamez. Actually my entire post centered around the fact that it probably was improving but as a first time visitor I had no way of judging it's improvement. Sorry but I'm not really sure where you get that from.

How is the park dying?

I never even suggested that it was.

The last two posters have suggested that we are arguing that the park has not improved. Nobody said that at all... I acknowledged that it probably is improving as did Yamez. Actually my entire post centered around the fact that it probably was improving but as a first time visitor I had no way of judging it's improvement. Sorry but I'm not really sure where you get that from.

How is the park dying?

I never even suggested that it was.

^ You sort of made it seem like it is in your earlier posts. Those posts made it seem like SFA isn't a good place. In your posts , you guys were talking about how SFA doesn't have many great coasters, and that their only gem is Wild One. KD isn't even that much better than SFA is. Like I said earlier, it's not RCT, where you can just plop a coaster anywhere. SFA only uses 131 acres of land, which is not very large compared to the 300+ acres KD and CP use. SFA is actually a great park, and It doesn't mean KD is better because they have more coasters. Like I said, coasters don't make a park. That seems to be the only reason most enthusiasts don't like SFA. SFA can make improvement's, and so can every other park.

When you compare the park to it's own terrible reputation it's probably not all that bad, but when you compare it to other parks (especially the ones within a few hours... Great Adventure, Kings Dominion, BGW, Hershey) it's inferior in pretty much every way possible.

According to your posts, you've only been to the park once, yet you seem to have so much to say over the few hours you were there. Also, SFA is not inferior, and tbh, just because KD has Dominator, and I305, does not make them better. The rest of their coasters are about as equal as SFA's coasters.

I would much rather take my money down to Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens where the park isn't filled where the park isn't filled with litter, rides are operated much more efficiently

This is news to me. I almost never see any litter at SFA. Also, most of the rides at SFA are usually reliable, the only ride that has problems with maintenance is Batwing.

^ You sort of made it seem like it is in your earlier posts. Those posts made it seem like SFA isn't a good place

We can agree to disagree. You think Six Flags America is a good park, I think it sucks. But I never said anything about it not improving. I think it's probably improving but it still sucks.

^ just because KD has Dominator, and I305, does not make them better. The rest of their coasters are about as equal as SFA's coasters.

^ No offense but I305 and Dominator seem to beat all the coasters at SFA IMO, besides doesn't I305 count as 37 credits!

and still think the park has improved greatly since 2007-2009

I would say that SFA has improved lately and Six Flags overall has improved IMO. Just read (and laugh) at some of these past experiences.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1090

I actually agree with many of the critiques many have offered. I also agree that I305 slaughters the competition on the east coast. If Kingda ka really does mean King of Coasters then I305 dethroned it. However coasters are not all that win me over in a park. Thus is why Knobles is a winner, thus is why Dollywood is a winner... with such places its never the quantity but the quality of their service that I love.

Unfortunately the rest of us don't always have that "luxury" so we're just comparing it to every other park in the world. When you compare the park to it's own terrible reputation it's probably not all that bad, but when you compare it to other parks (especially the ones within a few hours... Great Adventure, Kings Dominion, BGW, Hershey) it's inferior in pretty much every way possible. Even if you like this park, you have to admit that all of those parks are significantly better (though I understand that Great Adventure and BGW don't have waterparks included with theme park admission).

That was the only part of your statement I was debating and my post was the show that park actually surpases the others in some critical ways while in others it falls short. Like you, I compared SFA to other parks as well, namely the ones you mentioned to show that SFA is not inferior in every aspect. I used counter examples (tons of trash at Great Adventure, faded signs, long paths from Dominator to Volcano, long walk from White water canyon entrace to the station) to show that if you're going to slam a park for something be sure to make sure the other examples you use actually are doing better. I just choose not to nit pick but rather look at it as a whole (guest service/maitenance/throughput).

Again, I looking at everything positively and see the critiques some mention as areas for further improvement. The list is getting smaller every year.

Arundelhigh, you have to understand that people derserve to think SFA sucks. There are things about SFA just makes people angry. They are the guest at the park and they pay and expect to get their money's worth. Expectations are set due to varying factors offered as theme parks arcross the world. People want that same kind of satifisfaction that they get when they depart from Dollywood and likewise every park should give that. SFA has to get the point where its consistent whereas when someone first for their first time or just that one time out of the year they are pleasantly surprised. So yes some are going to think they park is not great others will see the park as a heading in the right direction and just not there. It happens!

When I read back the last 20 or so pages... I see improvement but not consistency (thus the mixture of good and bad TRs). The park has to be great everday not just at the beginning of the season.

I've noticed that a lot of the people defending this park live in the DC, Maryland area. I think the reason may be that if you've been going to the park for the last few years it sounds like it's improved and you're judging it against itself 5-10 years ago.

Unfortunately the rest of us don't always have that "luxury" so we're just comparing it to every other park in the world. When you compare the park to it's own terrible reputation it's probably not all that bad, but when you compare it to other parks (especially the ones within a few hours... Great Adventure, Kings Dominion, BGW, Hershey) it's inferior in pretty much every way possible. Even if you like this park, you have to admit that all of those parks are significantly better (though I understand that Great Adventure and BGW don't have waterparks included with theme park admission).

I do agree with you here. Is it as good as Hershey, Great Adventure, or KD? No, but to me it is still fun. I will not even compare it to BG because I do not like that park. Yes, its BEAUTIFUL but not worth it with only a few coasters - but that is my opinion. My thing is if you do not like a park then simply do not go or even worry about it. That is how I feel about BGW. Also if I based how I liked a park on a visit I had YEARS ago I would never go back to Kings Dominion. I used to HATE that park but now that Cedar Fair owns it I like it a lot.

That was the only part of your statement I was debating and my post was the show that park actually surpases the others in some critical ways while in others it falls short. Like you, I compared SFA to other parks as well, namely the ones you mentioned to show that SFA is not inferior in every aspect. I used counter examples (tons of trash at Great Adventure, faded signs, long paths from Dominator to Volcano, long walk from White water canyon entrace to the station) to show that if you're going to slam a park for something be sure to make sure the other examples you use actually are doing better. I just choose not to nit pick but rather look at it as a whole (guest service/maitenance/throughput).

Again, I looking at everything positively and see the critiques some mention as areas for further improvement. The list is getting smaller every year.

Believe me, I never said those parks were perfect. Great Adventure has a world class coaster lineup but sometimes (mainly during Fright Fest) the paths can get a little dirty (I actually found SFA to be clean, it's just inherently ugly). Still, the coaster lineup (which includes El Toro, the best coaster on the East Coast IMO... sorry I305), Nitro (tons of air for a B&M hyper), Batman, Bizarro and Kingda Ka combined with cool family rides like the Skyway, Skyscreamer and Houdini puts this park way ahead of SFA .

The KD path you mentioned doesn't bother me because it's really more of a shortcut than anything. Most people walk through the kiddy area. The ONLY way to Batwing and Superman at SFA is on that horrible path. There is no alternative. I think KD is a beautiful park, and they have a coaster lineup that's much better than SFA's (I love I305 even though El Toro is better), a lot of flats and some great water rides too.

BGW and Hershey are beautiful parks with great coasters too. They both have their faults (Hershey's coasters tend to be pretty short and BGW only has a few coasters) but they more than make up for it in theming and quality of the rides they do have. I don't think SFA belongs in the conversation with any of these parks. Maybe it will one day, but it doesn't now.

I never said people can't not like SFA, I just think that when someone says SFA "sucks in every way," it's not true. Everyone can have their opinions, and I don't judge them for that. I just think that the park does not "suck in every way," and they make the park really underrated. Also, SFGAdv. is one of SFI's flaghsip park, so of course their coaster line-up is better than SFA. I also think that SFA is still better than some other parks out there. I do think that SFA needs to Improve in these area's:

-Put a restroom near Superman and Batwing

-Re-paint Batwing

- Fill the old Two-Face hole, or at least tear down the station, and clean it up.

- Add a (newly) built coaster

I think that SFA is great in some areas, like the guest service. The only reason they do one-train operation's sometimes is because they don't have too many guests, and the lines are still way shorter than what I've seen at SFGAdv., and BGW.

Even though they only have 8 coasters, the mix is pretty good, and they are maintained well.

Edited by ArundelHigh Coasters

I've had both good and bad visits to this park, but I think it's the worst of the Six Flags chain; then again, I have yet to visit La Ronde. Plus, it's been a few years since I last visited SFA. There's been no compelling reason for me to fight the DC traffic to get to the place.

SFA has improved over the past 5 years, but that still doesn't make it a good park.

SFA used to be my least favorite park in the chain. In 5 years it has moved up one notch as LaRonde is less enjoyable to me. With that said, both SFA and LaRonde lag FAR behind the other parks in the chain.

Caveat: I haven't been to Six Flags Mexico yet.

Like I said, SFA is definitely not the best park I've been too , although it's still fun though. I would like to see a new coaster at the park too, but on the dry side it seems there is very limited room. I think the most important thing they need to do right now is take care of the rides they already have first. For example, Batwing is in desperate need of a paint job, and they also need to need to get the rest of Two-Face out of there. After everything else in the park is fixed, I think they can focus on a new coaster and/or expansion.

I've had both good and bad visits to this park, but I think it's the worst of the Six Flags chain; then again, I have yet to visit La Ronde. Plus, it's been a few years since I last visited SFA. There's been no compelling reason for me to fight the DC traffic to get to the place.

La Ronde makes SFA seem like one of the best! I do not ever want to go back until they get new coasters.

Russian Roulette used to be my favorite game show on Game Show Network back when I was a young teenager. Bonzai Pipelines totally reminds me of this...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/237237/158/Investigators-Looking-For-Cause-Of-Fire-At-Six-Flags

Fire investigators in Prince George's County are looking for the cause of a small fire that broke out at Six Flags America Tuesday evening.

Mark Brady, spokesman for Prince George's County Fire and Rescue, says a small fire broke out at the amusement park in Largo just after 8:00 p.m.

According to Brady, firefighters quickly extinguished the flames in a 100' X 50' building that is used to house electrical components for bumper cars.

Six Flags is currently closed for the winter, with plans to re-open in March.

As hated as this park is I will admit I am glad to have something as my home park. I would hate to be one of the people that have no parks by them. I know Hershey is kinda close but with gas prices the way they are and the government taking more taxes I am gonna love my little 45-50 min ride to SFA.

A few more feet and it could've taken care of the Vekoma SLC. So close...

It may be just an SLC, but that would be huge loss to the park. I love the Mind Eraser because it's fun, and NEVER has a long line.

As hated as this park is I will admit I am glad to have something as my home park. I would hate to be one of the people that have no parks by them. I know Hershey is kinda close but with gas prices the way they are and the government taking more taxes I am gonna love my little 45-50 min ride to SFA.

IKR!!!, I was just thinking that the other day. It must really suck to live in Nebraska . We are lucky to have a big amusement park near us. KD is a two-hour drive from me, and I can only make it a few times a year. I can go to SFA almost every week.