TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I am pumped for this year's Fright Fest! I'm attending this Friday and I haven't been since 2010 so I'm ready to experience all the new attractions!

I have been through Bridge of Terror before so I know what to expect, but Blood Factory, Terror Twister and Toxic Fallout seem like they are gonna be awesome too.

It's also clever how they will be having the Carn-Evil near Joker's Jinx, because of the evil clown similarities!

The description for Ghost Town on the Fright Fest website gives a little backstory about Coyote Creek!

As night settles over Coyote Creek, the eerie cries of the coyote echo and haunt the area. Locals say they often hear what sounds like a gun fight, with screams of pain from wounded men. When the moon is hidden the ghosts of fallen cowboys and gun slingers from the Wild West haunt the midway and turn Coyote Creek into a Ghost Town.

The most famous of the fallen cowboys is Wyatt van Earp. He was a simply cowboy working to earn his keep, and hoping for a better life. As often was the life of the cowboy Wyatt drifted from job to job until one day he saw the most beautiful young girl, Ms. Elsie Mae Griffith. She was young and pretty – full of life with a spark in her eye and a little wild streak.

Elsie Mae was betrothed to the town founder and mayor, Thomas Coyote – a rich and cruel man who threatened to take Elsie’s cattle ranch if she didn’t marry him. With the choice of destitution or marriage Elsie chose to marry against her better judgment. Until the day that Wyatt van Earp rode into town. Wyatt and Elsie Mae secretly courted, falling madly in love. Wyatt warned Elsie Mae not to tell anyone of their love and that he would find a way for them to be together. One night as they snuck off to be meet under the moonlight Mayor Coyote saw Elsie and followed her.

When the two lovers met and embrace Coyote became enraged and demanded a duel at sunset the next day with Wyatt. Elsie Mae was terrified but Wyatt knew it was the only way to be free from Mayor Coyote. The next day at sunset Wyatt went out to in front of the Crazy Horse Saloon ready to make his own destiny. Little did he know that Mayor Coyote had sent one of his men to the roof of the Saloon with a rifle to shot Wyatt just before the duel, ensuring that he would get Elsie Mae and her land.

Elsie Mae saw the man on the roof just as he was taking aim, screaming for Wyatt and running to protect him she threw herself in front of him just as the bullet cracked through the air and slammed into her chest, saving Wyatt but losing her life instead.

Wyatt held Elise as she lay bleeding and dying in his arms, whispering words of love and comfort until she passed. Covered in her blood and enraged with grief Wyatt pulled his six-shooters and began an epic gun fight in the street with the Mayor and his men.

By the end Wyatt was the only man standing. Grief stricken and out of his mind he painted his face with their blood and strung up their bodies at the beginning of town so the coyotes could devour at their dead flesh.

Now as the sunset the epic fun fight continues over and over again, never allowing Wyatt and his Elsie Mae to unite in the love they shared. Visitors who dare to trespass at night say they see Wyatt screaming for Elsie as he watches the coyotes eat the dead bodies of his enemies.

I know most people don't care about storylines like this, but I'm a huge fan of this kind of stuff!

Fright Fest was great! Terror Twister and Road Rage Cage had huge lines because they were simply amazing! The shows were entertaining, the scare zones were loaded with monsters, and the mazes were pretty decent! Backwoods Bloodshed has an cool "claustrophobic" effect that is very suprising!

Anyway, a couple videos of SFA's Fright Fest have already surfaced

My only grip with the haunted houses is going to be if they send a lot of people though at once. I went to Kings Dominion this past Saturday and went through all 10 haunted attractions. They were really good but I was never scared because they send about 20 people through at once so when something popped out in front of us it did not scare us when it was "our turn to walk by" because we knew it was there and if we were in front of a large group all the stupid people behind us ruined it by yelling stupid things. I like when a haunted attraction sends you through with just your group like Halloween Park and The Haunted Mill - this way it makes it a lot scarier. At least for me it does. And I understand the sheer amount of people that come to these things but I just feel like they do not need to send so many people through at once.

The haunt zones never scare me because there are always too many people walking through so you can clearly see where all the haunts are - at least this is my experience at Kings Dominion and the few times I have been to SFA's Fright Fest in the past.

10-12 is a lot of people in my opinion. To me that is too many. With that many people when something pops out in the front of the group the rest are going to see it and know when things are going to pop out. I will see how it goes when I go on the 27th.

10-12 is a lot of people in my opinion. To me that is too many. With that many people when something pops out in the front of the group the rest are going to see it and know when things are going to pop out. I will see how it goes when I go on the 27th.

But the Bridge of Terror is very tight, and there are alot of turns and walls blocking your view. Because of the limited sight, the large groups really didn't take much away in my opinion.

^Knott's has a paid maze this year, and the big Halloween events down in Florida (MNSSHP, HHN) as well as Howl-o-Scream at both Busch parks are upcharges over a normal-day ticket. Six Flags isn't the only place who charges extra for a maze - and if they charged more to get in this time of year, they wouldn't be the only ones to do that either.

Any who - Are the haunted houses actually scary this year?

Well, maybe I'm too jaded by Haunted Houses to really get scared anymore, but they did have a good amount of startle scares that made me jump.

IMO, the scariest was Backwoods Bloodshed mainly because of the wooded forest enviorment, the startle scares, and a few effects that I won't give away.

Any who - Are the haunted houses actually scary this year?

Well, maybe I'm too jaded by Haunted Houses to really get scared anymore, but they did have a good amount of startle scares that made me jump.

IMO, the scariest was Backwoods Bloodshed mainly because of the wooded forest enviorment, the startle scares, and a few effects that I won't give away.

Thank you for the information. I went to Frightland Friday night in Delaware and all I kept thinking was I hope Six Flags America is like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the park, and now I've done all the mazes. Blood Factory surprised me with how well-done it was. The sets were pretty amazing, and the actors weren't too bad either. It was much better than some of the ones at BGW (specifically Catacombs). One problem our group had (other than the e-stop that happened while we were in there) was that there was so much fog, it was nearly impossible to see where to go. We ended up walking into a corner where a scareactor was hanging out.

Toxic Fallout was a big disappointment, with no fog and only about 5 actors in the whole maze. Also, it was really easy to see where everybody was hiding. It's definitely not worth $3.

Backwoods Bloodshed was the highlight of the night. The woods setting really makes this maze incredible! There were some good scares and cool effects, as DarkRideNick said. This was one of the best mazes I've ever gone through, although there were one or two spots that would've benefited from one or two more actors.

I hate the extra charges for mazes, but Blood Factory and Backwoods Bloodshed are right up there with some of the big boys of Halloween events like KD and BGW (those are the only other two I've done... )

I've heard Blood Factor is amazing as well as Backwoods.

Apocalypse when I rode earlier this month was fairly smooth compared to what I remember Iron Wolf. Just that one spot where you get a slight head back after the corkscrew but that's it. Overall I love the what they did with the ride it looks great!

Going to the park for Fright Fest this Saturday. This is my first FF in about 5 years. I notice on the website they are saying something about "Spine Chilling Adventures" and just list rides. My question is do they actually do something different to Wild One, Cyclone, Ride of Steel, Carousel, Mind Eraser, Tower of Doom, Joker's Jinx, Roar, bumper cars, etc.? I want to know if I should definitely make sure I go to these or not? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you

As far as the coasters are concerned no... not really. I think on Joker Jinx they may have the lights turned off in the spaghetti bowl portion but don't quote me. I know on tower of Doom they turned the lights off that usually shine down from the top of the tower. Bumper Cars is now Road Rage Cage and they put in the lighting effects and fog and turned off the lights (pretty cool!). Tea Cups is now Terror Twister where they enclosed the ride and its also filled with fog and lighting effects synched to a master mix of Party Rock Anthem (Love It!). Superman is awesome at night regardless of fright fest or not... becuase the ride ventures way out of the park and there are no lights... its pitch black! Aside from that , it's pretty much the same. So coaster wise, definitely get your night ride in on Superman once it's absolutely dark and maybe JJ. Make it a must to check out Tea Cups, Bumper Cars, and maybe Tower since they actually enchance those rides at night.

Now Backwoods and Blood Factory..... there's just no way I can do them.... im too scared of Backwoods Bloodshed from last year lol! But the effects that people are talking about in Blood Factory are just to die for!! lol.... But seriously.. I would literally die lol. People are saying that one maze is better than BGW's and KD's. SFA really outdid themselves.

Also don't miss the Awakening.