TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

So I went to the park for the first time in 12 years yesterday, and I had a pretty good time there. Finally got my Superman and Batwing credits!

I had forgot how confusing the park layout is, especially trying to get to Southwest Territory. Crowds were heavy, but there was no more than a 2 train wait a most until after the waterpark closed. Then the lines got pretty long in places. The waterpark was insanely crowded, and the wavepool was really nasty, which is sad, because it's only been open a few days. It was cloudy water, lots of stuff floating throughout, and I was stepping on stuff that I could tell I didn't want to know what it was. Walking around, you could hardly move, and it seemed people would go out of their way just to get in front of you and stand there. Me and my friend started calling kids squirrels because of how they run in front of you and zig zag back in forth to get out of the way, only to end up being run into anyway. I can definitely see the complaints about the guests at the park. Lots of people with their phones out on coasters, and no one telling them to stop doing it. It was happening all day long.

They did have stacking problems on all the coasters, but from what I could see, it was more guest problems than ride operator problems. They'd say into the intercom to buckle the belt first and THEN lower your lap bar, and yet people would still bring down the lap bar first, and then refuse help from the attendant while they try to get the belt buckled with the lap bar in the way, so the attendant has to just stand there until the guest is ready. It was pretty common all day long as well.

The rides were running great though. Was pleasantly surprised with Roar. I remembered liking it, but I've seen a bit of badmouthing it lately. It wasn't rough to me, either in the very back or the very front. Airtime in the front, forceful laterals in the back. Wild One was okay. Less airtime than I remembered. Rode in the front, which was good, and near the back, which was simply okay. Love the forceful helix. Superman was very good. I don't get why there's all those straight sections though. Rode twice near the back. Batwing was... Batwing. Slow loading, but a very forceful intense ride just like the other two clones in KI and Carowinds. Mind Eraser was actually not that bad. Bumpy, yes, but not headache inducing. Rode once near the back. Is it considered one of the smoother SLCs? Joker's Jinx was okay. Seemed sluggish, though. Rode once in the back.

Also, their pirate stunt show was really good, though there was none of the audience participation they had asked for. (I think there was an issue of about half the audience not being able to speak English.) Was hoping to catch the special effects show set to music, but we went out of the park to eat at Golden Corral at that time.

Also got one ride on Tower of Doom, Tea Cups, and Riddle Me This. There were no lines for the flat rides even after the waterpark closed.

Pros= Pretty good coaster collection, nice employees, and not really any waits.

Cons= Other guests, stacking coasters, nasty wavepool.

^That commercial is awesome!!! and APOCALYPSE LOOKS GREAT I AM SO EXCITED AND HAPPY FOR SFA! Still wondering where the fire will shoot from and wondering if the ride will have a pre-show like SFMM's.

^^I know with JJ the ride will always stack because it has to. You can't launch the ride until the other train has come to the block breaks near the exit. Same with Wild One, mind eraser, and roar. Batwing and Superman is possible but Batwing is difficult to get a train checked before the other comes to the brakes. Superman is possible as well but they have the guest to deal with like seal belts ect.. Which on your visit you said that seemed to be alot of people who didn't understand english so maybe they didn't heed the seatbelt advice When I visited the park they were good to the point that the train in the brakes never sat more than 5 seconds or so before we were moving into the station. With the fact that the lines weren't terrible I had no complaints. None of their coasters have mid course brake runs so I can understand that they may want to wait to the train comes to a full stop before dispatching the next one because if there would be a fault of some sort when a train gets to the brake run and the other train has already left the station its probably going to stop somewhere high on the lift rather than lower.

Glad you had a decent experience at the park. Told you the lines in the dry park would get long once the water park closed... Usually I will leave by then but sometimes I stay for the sake of getting a Night Ride on Superman. S:ROS in the dark is AMAZING Because there are no lights what so ever! I don't frequent the water park there because its always crowded. Its sooooo popular but its so small... So hopefully if 2013 predicitions are correct they get some kind of decent expansion like SFGam got. I think SFA could use a second pool like SFGam has as well as a signficant sized slide complex. They definitely need to expand the water park. Also keep in mind you did visit during Memorial Weekend.

In response ot the earlier comment about Batwing, they have 3 trains still.. One train is rehabed extensively each year from what I understood. Like on a rotation. So one of the trains, likely the one that is running currently is the one that was rehabbed all last season and the one that was seen being worked on is the one that was running last year (just finishing up its short off season rehab likely to be the next one to go on a full extensive rehab next year).

^ Yeah, I knew why it was crowded. I was fully expecting the water park to be. It was the most crowded thing in the park back when I went in 1999-2000 too. As for the stacking, it wasn't too bad on any of the rides except Mind Eraser and Wild One. They stacked for about 2 minutes on those. I was also surprised at how many people didn't know to push down and THEN pull on their restraints. And these were people that did speak English. I had to help two different people that were in the seats I was about to get into with that.

I don't blame the park for any of the few issues that day. I knew what I was getting into, and as I said, I had a great time. Got almost everything in that I wanted to do, and I plan to go back in August or September on a Sunday as well. My only main gripe is that the waterpark needs better crowd control. I agree, another wave pool would do wonders, as would a new slide complex.

Just got back from the park, got on Apocalypse 4 times, three of which were in the front row. The themeing is nice and they had the fireball effect working, which surprised me. The ride was smoother than I anticipated, but still bumped my head a few times. One time, the train in front of me got stuck on the brake run, do we were stopped on the lift for a few minutes. Roar was running the best that I've ever seen, and I actually put my hands up for the first time on that particular ride. For the first time ever, I actually kind of enjoyed Mind Eraser, and even went back for a reride. Overall a good day, and I liked Apocalypse. It fits in well with the rest of the park. It's definitely a step in the right direction for SFA.

Oryp

The ride was smoother than I anticipated, but still bumped my head a few times. One time, the train in front of me got stuck on the brake run, do we were stopped on the lift for a few minutes. Roar was running the best that I've ever seen, and I actually put my hands up for the first time on that particular ride.,

Hahaha, I was on that train! It was my first ride, then what do you know? Technical difficulties. Oh well, it's to be expected.

I agree completely about both Apocalypse and Roar.

Apocalypse was a fun ride! It was definitely smoother than I anticipated too. In the front row, the first half of the ride (up until the "flat bit") is silky smooth and from my neck down, the entire ride rode smoothly. It was mainly just a few head bumps here and there, as Oryp said (exit of the upward spiral through the loop, entrance to the corkscrew, some other places near the end). The back row had a little more head banging, but the "defensive riding position" did the trick.

And yes, Roar is running the best I've ever seen. I thoroughly enjoyed it on all 4 of my rides today. To me, the bumpiness was at a level where it actually added character to the ride.

One minor note - I'm usually a big fan of S:ROS, but today the blue train had a good case of the "rattles." Still great speed and air time though.

Edited by CoasterRollin

Six Flags America Fans: OPEN CASTING CALL for Video/Photo Shoot! If you would like to be considered for our APOCALYPSE video shoot on Monday, June 4 from 7 am – noon email keymessagepoint@gmail.com, subject line: FACEBOOK. Include your name, age, address and phone number PLUS a photo of yourself by 9 pm TONIGHT! If under 18, you must be accompanied by parent or guardian. Must be 54” + tall and READY TO RIDE. Details will be provided following your email.

Six Flags FaceBook. They only posted it about 5 minutes ago, so I imagine they mean 9pm CST or PST.

EDIT: Six Flags has deleted the post.

Here's my quick review of Apocalypse...

Was there yesterday for opening day on Apocalypse (yes we survived the Last Stand!) Big crowd at the entrance to the ride as everyone wanted to try it out but only the season pass holders were allowed admittance. Amazing how the site was transformed. The track, trains, queuing areas and station look really great. Apocalypse will clearly be a highlight draw for the park in years to come. Here's my quick grades...

Thrill B- - was comparing it to Georgia Scorcher a much more recent B&M standup down in Six Flags Atlanta - Scorcher just has steeper drops, more speed, variation and thrill factor. Apocalypse is a fun coaster...but doesn't have a HUGE lasting ride impression. Front row is clearly best I think as time passes...Superman, Batwing and Jokers Jinx will still be the top ride coasters in the park.

Theming A - for a Six Flags park...this is a home run. The 'Terminator' type post-war apocalyptic theme is done very well considering the size/layout of the site. Best part after speaking with a technician there was that quote 'there is alot more to come.' (with regards to theming and this could rise to an A+)

Effects - Had some 'Terminator' type music blaring all around the ride. Fireball just a great effect with the bass audio. Nice audio, lighting (sirens/wail on police truck, rotating lights on entrance columns.) This is a ride that draws all passerbyers in and makes you pay attention (sight and sound.)

Comfort B- better than expected...but still a stand up coaster. The barrel rolls are somewhat hard on shoulders.

Overall B+ - For a 'hand me down' coaster....SFA has done an amazing job. It's a lot of fun and the presentation/theming of the ride make this a must attraction at SFA.

See my pics at bottom of this thread page - http://www.sfafans.com/showthread.php/6587-Six-Flags-America-adds-Apocalypse-Coaster-for-2012/page35

Apocalypse was a fun ride! It was definitely smoother than I anticipated too. In the front row, the first half of the ride (up until the "flat bit") is silky smooth and from my neck down, the entire ride rode smoothly. It was mainly just a few head bumps here and there, as Oryp said (exit of the upward spiral through the loop, entrance to the corkscrew, some other places near the end). The back row had a little more head banging, but the "defensive riding position" did the trick.

I'll keep writing this until I'm blue in the face (blue on my fingertips?)- It was nowhere near as awful as you would be led to believe if you sampled posts about Iron Wolf. If the ride beat you up, it's more than likely that you're completely relaxing your neck muscles and letting the ride's forces decide where your head goes. Fly a kite or take up gardening instead.

I'll keep writing this until I'm blue in the face (blue on my fingertips?)- It was nowhere near as awful as you would be led to believe if you sampled posts about Iron Wolf. If the ride beat you up, it's more than likely that you're completely relaxing your neck muscles and letting the ride's forces decide where your head goes. Fly a kite or take up gardening instead.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. I was trying to point out which parts of the ride had a tendency to be rough, which usually takes on the form of headbanging on this kind of coaster (in my experience, at least). As a first-time rider, you never really know what to expect.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. I was trying to point out which parts of the ride had a tendency to be rough, which usually takes on the form of headbanging on this kind of coaster (in my experience, at least). As a first-time rider, you never really know what to expect.

You're misunderstanding me- I'm agreeing with you. The reputation this ride has was laughably over-exaggerated. I'm pointing to your positive experience on it as support for that.

^ Ahhhh, so I didn't understand what you meant, haha. I'm sorry, I got confused in your usage of "you" and therefore took the "fly a kite or take up gardening" comment as directed torwards me. It's all good.

Maybe I just need to work on interpreting inflection in text.

Edited by CoasterRollin

Check out my Apocalypse queue walk through video! The vid also includes some footage of the coaster in action. All footage was shot from public areas of the park. No rules were broken during the filming of this footage.

I have to admit that I was extremely skeptical at first, but I now truly believe that Apocalypse will be an excellent addition to the park. They did an excellent job with this one, and the general public will love it! I cannot wait to see what the future holds for SFA.

-Jason

^I must say that,judging by the video it looks like they did a good job designing the queue layout by not just using a generic SF style series of switchbacks as done on previous rides.I'll wait a few years to see what further improvements may be made to the park before making a decision on wether or not to return so I can check the ride out.

Hopefully by then I'll be able to drive so I'd need to do less convincing of friends to go back as they've decided that the park jusst isn't worth it right now.