TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Stopped by the park today and snapped a few pics of the demolition work going on at Skull Mountain. Looks like they're tearing it down pretty quickly now that the park is only open on weekends.

069.jpg.713de6350802f3f6812c413fcefb03ac.jpg

Notice that most of the final lift hill is gone!

070.jpg.cb0cef39fea79c84f7d25a0e960bb7e9.jpg

All of the first lift and first drop are gone too!

071.jpg.2950b9a1546849588aeead23ba3ec338.jpg

Lots of the lower trough is missing now.

072.jpg.6ec76133f6eeba0a373ce01699e7b9ab.jpg

Something is missing here...

073.jpg.48d08665d7ff4e138dec0e57878d3518.jpg

Still a lot of the trough left after the final drop and on the final turnaround.

074.jpg.3caf881106e7b2e591c801d0b1664398.jpg

Breaking up the concrete!

075.jpg.7b9b2f5a4a3f008ef9140e35e42c8220.jpg

The old ancient Skull Mountain ruins!

076.jpg.26f918bf2b717998fcb41a2ebed2cfeb.jpg

More ruins.

081.jpg.2aaa358ee0fd9646a58c4904d5088fe0.jpg

Interestingly, they have not started demolition on the station. Might they be considering using the station for a haunt this year?

084.jpg.fadcb182eaacf5de8ae3fe1b3fc6fe88.jpg

Crumble!

There was a lot more demolition work that I could not photograph since I could not get to those areas from any publicly accessible area within the park. A ride on Roar, however, allowed me to see that they have completely demolished the enclosed turn around after the first drop. There are huge piles of rubble waiting to be hauled away from the site. They are really destroying Skull Mountain very quickly! At the rate that they are currently progressing with the demolition, the whole ride could easily be gone by the end of September.

All pics were taken from public areas of the park. No park rules were violated during the taking of these pictures.

SAVE TEH SKULL M...oh wait, too late.

I know' the Skull looks so cool. Are they destroying the mountain or the Skull's face itself? The YouTube video of Apocalypse features a Skull Face, so why not keep it and find some nice way to incorporate with the ride? Or for theme keep some of the boats, put skeletons in them and position them at various points near the ride, to match the Apocalypse theme. It would look great while riding.

SAVE TEH SKULL M...oh wait, too late.

I know' the Skull looks so cool. Are they destroying the mountain or the Skull's face itself? The YouTube video of Apocalypse features a Skull Face, so why not keep it and find some nice way to incorporate with the ride? Or for theme keep some of the boats, put skeletons in them and position them at various points near the ride, to match the Apocalypse theme. It would look great while riding.

I think they'll just keep it as it means less work & WO won't have to be shut down during the demolition.

TO THE LATE SKULL MOUNTAIN

We are gather here today on this special occasion to say good-bye to the dearly departed. The ride was dear and departed, thus that is why we call it the dearly depart. In other words, the lousy ride is gone!

As you can see, the demolition of this ride came as a complete surprise to this ride.

I bet you were never gonna get demolish, didja you lousy ride? I told ya what was gonna happen if you keep downtiming the way you was doing.

However, this ride faced the ultimate test, as each and every ride must face the ultimate test: whether or not this ride could survive. That's the ultimate test for your . We know that some rides have face the ulitmate test and survived, but this ride wasn't worthy as toast, so it got toasted (or something like that, it makes sense somehow).

Now that this ride is being demolished, let's hope that its replacement can be worthy of high standards and top thrills (If and only if Six Flags America can find it first, then put it in with this coaster).

Can I get an "Amen" with that?

"Amem, now please come to bed."

Throughout this thread, I've probably been SFA's biggest cheerleader. Well, that's about to change.

Because we knew our summer schedules would be hectic this year, because of the new "your parking surcharge covers only the park at which your pass is purchased" policy and because SFA season passes weren't discounted quite as much this year as they have been in the past, we were on the fence about renewing for 2011. But we figured that the "Bring a Friend Free" days, which we enjoyed last year, would make up the difference. It literally was our deciding factor.

This year, Six Flags pushed all its "Bring a Friend Free" days for season passholders to weekends in September. Initially, we didn't think it was a big deal, and it kind of solved our summer scheduling issues. Originally, we had planned to take some friends on September 10. Except, in checking the park's operating schedule, that was the only weekend date in September that was blocked out due to a private event. OK, we could work with that. We moved our planned trip to September 18. Well, guess what. As of today, SFA is closed on September 18 for... another private event!

These are literally the only two dates in September that work for us. I contacted Guest Relations and was told that even if that hadn't been the case, they can't guarantee that there won't be more private event closings in September. I'm sure there's some fine print that prohibits the advertising of a promotion on certain days and then reducing those days when someone wants to rent out the park--but it's horrible public relations, even if it makes good business sense.

Three years ago, I bought my first Six Flags season pass. Last year, I bought them for my whole family. This year, not only did we buy season passes, but we also paid extra to attend a special "SFA Preview Day" event hosted by a local enthusiast group. Next year, I get to save $300.

On the plus side, that puts me one-sixth of the way toward paying for the TPR Italy trip already!

/rant

Based on a POV I saw of this ride, it seems like it is very fun and for Six Flags, pretty well themed. It's too bad they couldn't have more rides like this in the Six Flags chain, I actually really liked how it had a drop and hill portion, as well as a table top.

I would guess maintenance and running costs were the nail in this rides coffin. It's unfortunate an entire water area will be demo'd for a concrete slab.

Three years ago, I bought my first Six Flags season pass. Last year, I bought them for my whole family. This year, not only did we buy season passes, but we also paid extra to attend a special "SFA Preview Day" event hosted by a local enthusiast group. Next year, I get to save $300.

On the plus side, that puts me one-sixth of the way toward paying for the TPR Italy trip already!

/rant

I understand your frustration regarding the September buy-out issue, but it is not as if the park scheduled these just to personally mess with the days you had free. And not to beat a dead horse, but when will people stop complaining about the cost of Six Flags season passes? IMO, they have been vastly underpriced forever and continue to offer one of the greatest values in the entertainment industry. Is SFA not allowed to raise the price of their season pass? Should they just continue to drop the price? Does that make sense for a company emerging from financial reorganization?

And regarding the parking, let's compare to CF- in order to get chainwide parking, one must spend about twice what a SFA season pass with parking costs. Even if parking is $15-$20 at each SF park, that still means you need to make at least 4-5 visits to other SF parks to match the value of a CF platinum pass.

I've always been more a fan of the Busch Gardens model- one that does not offer much in the way of gate discounts and in doing so keeps the riff-raff out and invites people who are more likely to have a longer length of stay and spend more towards Food/Beverage, Games, etc.

Even if SFA's product doesn't change much, I just don't understand how $100 for an entire season is not an amazing deal. Many towns/villages charge that much for a local leisure pass.

Pretty sure this was already covered. Iron Wolf's station is much higher off the ground. Also, if you look in the video, there's a brand new station there. So while I suppose the old station could stay as part of the line, they aren't using it for the ride. (And I doubt it's staying at all.)

That & SM's boats were only two abreast while IW's trains are 4 abreast so the old SM station wouldn't be wide enough.

It was also a very wide station and, if the coaster were to start from ground level, could easily be retrofitted to hold the wider trains.

While the station was wide the distance between the entry & exit platforms was not & certainly wouldn't accomodate a four abreast coaster train since the boats were only two abreast,which isn't that wide.

According to Six Flag's new site for their Fright Fest events, SFA's will be revealed tomorrow.

I must say, as horribly cheesy as the site is, if SFA's event is even a fourth of what SFGADV or SFNE's is, it will be much improved over last year. Hell, anything would be an improvement over last year.

^http://frightfest.sixflags.com/america/attractions/

It's not very detailed as far as locations go, and one scarezone/haunt is yet to be given a name, but there's a list! Looks like more than any other year as far as I can tell.

Also, I noticed this season that the old Brutal Planet had its cover taken down - any chance we'll be seeing that reopen this year?