TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Luck has nothing to do with it. In 2005 (before they sold DL, EG, closed AW, etc.) Six Flags said SFGAm, SFGAdv, SFOT, and SFMM brought in 25% of all their revenues. That's huge when you consider they were running nearly 30 properties at the time!

Putting their capital in those parks wasn't what put Six Flags in bankruptcy. Buying parks like SFA (and overpaying for many of them), and then turning around and dumping 5 coasters in a 3 year span is what ran up their debt.

No,the problem was that Premier parks(the original owners of SFA,DL,KK,EG,GL etc). made the mistake of buying six flags from time warner.At the time Premier parks' specialty was buying under financed smaller amusement parks & reinvesting in them to turn them around....they did just that with the former wild world(now SFA) when they bought the place in 92 by adding the rides & attractions that the previous owner couldn't afford to install,heck the park had already been closed for a whole year & was facing demolition when Premier stepped in to save it.

Six flags didn't wait long enough to see an ROI on the newly flagged parks...DL got treated worse than we did as all they got of major significance was their ROS coaster while parks like SFA & SFWOA recieved only two years more worth of investments than they did but after that the investments stopped & the attendance fell as a result I mean why do you think I stopped going after the 07 season when a boring waterslide was announced for 08?Had premier NEVER aqquired six flags & kept SFA as Adventure world the park would probably be way better than it is now but of course that didn't happen.

Okay guys. We have talked about Six Flags America's past ad nauseam on here. We even had to lock the thread previously because it got out of hand. Now, that there is a new coaster being built at the park next year, there is plenty that you can discuss instead of whining about the past.

The past is the past. There is nothing you can do to change it. Please, move on.

Okay guys. We have talked about Six Flags America's past ad nauseam on here. We even had to lock the thread previously because it got out of hand. Now, that there is a new coaster being built at the park next year, there is plenty that you can discuss instead of whining about the past.

The past is the past. There is nothing you can do to change it. Please, move on.

Agreed.

Let's talk about Fright Fest. How many of you think the park could pull off a huge outdoor maze using the water park area? I was thinking something along the lines of Captain Black Beard at Kings Dominion. An opened aired haunted maze with a pirate theme with tones of creatures lurking around. Given the fact it would cover a huge section of the water park, it would probably take the average person at least 12 minutes or longer to get threw.

Good or bad idea?

^^he has a point, it's the exact same people on the train. The only difference I can tell is the bottom portion of the pic has a yellow support in front of the track where as the GL promo doesn't have anything there. Could be IW is getting modern trains and SF recycles the left portion of the promo and photoshops colors into it.

EDIT: Nevermind what I said, just noticed the GL promo is cropped a little bit. jumped the gun on that one haha.

Edited by harper83087

^^he has a point, it's the exact same people on the train. The only difference I can tell is the bottom portion of the pic has a yellow support in front of the track where as the GL promo doesn't have anything there. Could be IW is getting modern trains and SF recycles the left portion of the promo and photoshops colors into it.

EDIT: Nevermind what I said, just noticed the GL promo is cropped a little bit. jumped the gun on that one haha.

Yeah, it is the exact same photo, just with different colors. (I was about to type exactly what you said in your edit )

The promotional image serves its purpose. It is a stand-up coaster and the general public will never know that it is actually Green Lantern.

Edited by ernierocker

Actually it's Mantis. Mantis and Green Lantern are (almost) mirror images of each other. Mantis curves from the right from the lift, and GL turns to the left. Fun fact. Except everything is kinda smooshed in there, different elements could be from different coasters. XD

Actually it's Mantis. Mantis and Green Lantern are (almost) mirror images of each other. Mantis curves from the right from the lift, and GL turns to the left. Fun fact. Except everything is kinda smooshed in there, different elements could be from different coasters. XD

The flatspin on the left is clearly from the GL promotional artwork but the sections on the right that we can see so far are different from the GL artwork as there appears to be a black line of sorts near the track.

Edit:After looking closely at both images the "black line" that I mentioned above is the curve coming off of the lift so they are in fact both 100% identical images just with the colors changed.

^^The entirety of their second halves are completely different. The first half is similar, sure. But they aren't close to mirrors.

Actually they are. Except for height and the fact that Green Lantern's first half is the slightest bit longer (and possibly the lil turn after exiting Mantis' station), the first half of Green Lantern and Mantis are mirror images of each other.

Actually the image is of Chang. It's just mirrored and edited (Clear evidence is that the track threads the dive loop on Chang, not Mantis). And the layout up to the MCBR is only similar to Chang with the same basic mirrored layout. Lengths, heights, angles, and many other factors are different. Just sayin...

Actually the image is of Chang. It's just mirrored and edited (Clear evidence is that the track threads the dive loop on Chang, not Mantis). And the layout up to the MCBR is only similar to Chang with the same basic mirrored layout. Lengths, heights, angles, and many other factors are different. Just sayin...

Ahh wasn't looking at it right. And that's basically considered a mirror image. If you were to shrink GL down 9 feet you'd basically have a Dueling Standup coaster.

Yes, it would have to be Chang if it was the promotional image for Green Lantern.

And why would a Six Flags park use a promotional image of a Cedar Point coaster. That is just silly talk.

CP would never know.

^^The entirety of their second halves are completely different. The first half is similar, sure. But they aren't close to mirrors.

Actually they are. Except for height and the fact that Green Lantern's first half is the slightest bit longer (and possibly the lil turn after exiting Mantis' station), the first half of Green Lantern and Mantis are mirror images of each other.

And then the second half is completely different. I'm aware of both of their layouts - they aren't mirrors. The S:ROS twins are mirrors. These aren't.

The first half of the layouts except for heights and lengths are mirror images. The FIRST half. Not the second. The first. Have you ridden both of them? Tell me that. Have you ridden both of them?

Yes sir, quite a few times apiece. And I know their layouts perfectly. My point was that they aren't mirrors of each other - which, now that you've changed to say that only the first halves are mirrors, you're correct. But the rides aren't. They're completely different after the MCBRs - and one is very much better.

But this is completely irrelevant to Six Flags America.

I screwed up the first time, got it right the second time. Yeesh.

But anyways...looks like the park is closed for the weekend due to Irene.

On Six Flags America's Facebook: "Oh and even though the park is closed, the envelope clues will keep coming each night as we get closer to the big 2012 announcement on September 1ST! IRENE isn't going to stop our Facebook fun!"

Great. Yay.