TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

I think it'll have the rumored Apocalypse theme..kinda makes sense with all the fire and the skull that could be hinting or death, or just that it'll be in Skull Island. And with IW's layout an apoco theme could work great in the second half with the ride flying through debris and burned burned buildings, cars, etc.

True. But here is why I made the above post. Six Flags America has been known for being misleading. For example, you would have thought Two-Face was in Gotham, but for some reason he was situated over in Southwest Territory. Now when Two-Face was removed, they put a sign up in front of it, that said under construction, which made people think that something new was coming. Guess what, nothing ever came and the spot is still empty. Then Thomas the Tank Engine was confirmed to be installed in SFA, and everyone was almost certain that it would go in Two-Face's old spot, but for some reason Thomas & Friends took a detour and ended up in Gotham City with Batman, Superman, Joker and Penguin. Now how did that happen???

The same thing could happen with this new attraction for 2012. Now here is a FUN, assumption I had. If they gave it a DC Comic theme, they could call it FIRE FLY, based off the DC Comic villain. They indicated burning the envelope in the picture, but that doesn't mean Scorcher. Of course this is a wishful assumption.

What would be nice is to have a brand new coaster at this park, since we haven't gotten one since Batwing was installed in 04'. I don't always mind relocations but only if it is a good coaster. I haven't ridden Iron Wolf so I can't personally comment on that but from what I gather it was pretty rough and was a head banger. I found Vortex at CGA to be like that and I didn't care for that one at all. If this new ride is indeed IW, I would hope that they can recondition it well enough to make it good.

I realize that SFA has height restrictions but still there are plenty of things they can do within those confines and have a great ride.

What would be nice is to have a brand new coaster at this park, since we haven't gotten one since Batwing was installed in 04'. I don't always mind relocations but only if it is a good coaster. I haven't ridden Iron Wolf so I can't personally comment on that but from what I gather it was pretty rough and was a head banger. I found Vortex at CGA to be like that and I didn't care for that one at all. If this new ride is indeed IW, I would hope that they can recondition it well enough to make it good.

I realize that SFA has height restrictions but still there are plenty of things they can do within those confines and have a great ride.

Pretty much all standups are like this.

Batwing was installed in 2001.

Batwing was installed in 01 & replaced a 140 ft tall,3,000 ft long B&M standup that had previously been approved by PG county as part of a multi-ride package that the park ultimately never recieved when SFI started playing favorites with SFMM,SFGRADV & SFGRAM for the past ten years.

The last "adult" ride the park recieved on the dry side was PBR in 03. & since then they've lost more rides than they've added.

Batwing was installed in 01 & replaced a 140 ft tall,3,000 ft long B&M standup that had previously been approved by PG county as part of a multi-ride package that the park ultimately never recieved when SFI started playing favorites with SFMM,SFGRADV & SFGRAM for the past ten years.

The last "adult" ride the park recieved on the dry side was PBR in 03. & since then they've lost more rides than they've added.

A little bit of the favoritism were things that Burke had line up for the future. I believe El Tora at Great Adventure was approved by Burke. But all the other things like Buccaneer Battle at Great America, Goliath at Over Georgia and a few others were approved by Shapiro because they came much later after Burke was left. Either that or he just had a huge line up. But even with ride renovations, Shapiro could have showed us some love and never did.

As far as it being Bizarro, I doubt it. Six Flags still has the licensing agreement with Warner Bros/DC Comics, but don't you think Bizarro left with Shapiro?

I think what's more telling is nothing else has gotten the "Bizarro" since the first makeovers.

Very true. Only Bizarro ride are at SFGADV and SFNE. Both those two renovations happened in 2009. So it's been two seasons and no more Bizarro has been added. As far as themes go with Six Flags rides, they will probably stick to the DC Comic theme and creative naming thing, with their future rides. Green Lantern was the last thing approved by Shapiro. With him being gone now, I believe the ride relocation thing will die down and parks will start receiving more newer rides.

Other than rides, I want to see Six Flags really return back to their teenager/adult theme for Fright Fest. Which brings me to another question? SFA use to have Hall Manor and it was free. But when we had Brutal Planet, you had to pay $5.50 for a ticket. Do you think all Six Flags haunted houses should be free?

Decided to drop in here to try to maybe cheer some of you guys up.

First... let me vent so you guys know where I sit as a SFGAM coaster fan.

I don't know why you guys seem to imply SFGAM is spoiled... YES we have had a lot of things installed in the last ten years, but enthusiasts really don't (for the most part) enjoy the majority of what they've done in the last ten years. Let me put it this way... if you guys has HH, riptide bay, buccaneer battle, TWO wild mouse coasters, and a few flats added... would you really be happy? Yes we have superman ultimate flight... but really that was the only REAL coaster we got (I'm a coaster fan, I don't ride flats, and there are much cheaper, better, closer water parks). So would you be happy if you lost your most extreme coaster, replaced it with an equal or lesser coaster, and then added TWO wild mouse coasters, a splash battle... and waterpark? Would you then consider your park "spoiled"? They also removed another coaster to place that silly splash battle $8 million dollars... thats half a B&M! Plus the fortune they spent building the water park, removing the motion simulator, moving the go-carts, etc.

And now this... why I hope you guys really realize that we're right there with you... frustrated, tired, and really doubting the management.... But you guys gain something we lose (to again be replaced by NOTHING). Iron wolf is a great coaster... yes it needs new trains, but they'll give it new trains when you guys get it and you'll LOVE it. I'm actually really sad they're taking out wolf. Yes I know its not popular because the restraints suck, but its a B&M that I have been saying needed TLC since 2004, and because it got a bad rap because of the restraints, we're losing a classic ride that was one of our few loopers. Great america will now have a grand total of 11 inversions total on all its coasters (3 loopers). In 2002 great america had 21 inversions.

Yes, I know you're assuming we're getting something grand and awesome.... but with no height clearance from the village of Gurnee, it will be under 125 feet tall, and will likely not have many inversions.... PLUS this is our last PRIME coaster spot. Wolf's footprint is so small that a big coaster will never fit in that spot.

So why should this cheer you guys up? Because I know how you guys feel, and at least you KNOW you are getting a good B&M stand up coaster. You know it will get the TLC it needs, and it will be a very enjoyable ride. Heck, maybe this will be the ride that really gets the ball rolling for your park... if you guys show that you're happy to get a coaster (even if it isn't exactly what you want) the management will realize that this is what SFA needs... and maybe they'll be more willing to add coasters and thrill rides in the future. I think you all need to have an open mind, and just go and enjoy a new ride experience for you. You guys are gaining a VERY intense coaster that doesn't eat a ton of real estate, adds two inversions, and really is enjoyable. I'm a coaster guy only, and I love forces (gforces rock) you guys already have more inversions than us... PLUS you're gaining two more, and we're losing two. Please look on the bright side, enjoy an AWESOME ride that really does deserve some positive fan appreciation.

^Both current (X-Raptor and to-be The Swarm) B&M wing-coasters are under 125 feet tall and have three or four inversions. That's more than Iron Wolf has, and I imagine that the new ride should be quite a bit better. There's plenty of fantastic rides that fall below 125 feet - that doesn't mean much at all, if the designer does a good job.

^Both current (X-Raptor and to-be The Swarm) B&M wing-coasters are under 125 feet tall and have three or four inversions. That's more than Iron Wolf has, and I imagine that the new ride should be quite a bit better. There's plenty of fantastic rides that fall below 125 feet - that doesn't mean much at all, if the designer does a good job.

You miss the point... Since 2002 We've lost 12 inversions, and we're gaining three, maybe four... with no more room left in the park. You could put a zacspin where wolf is, but that is zero inversions (technically). So... I guess my point is that while I still see good things in store for SFGAM... they will now come at a very high price. The next big coaster they add will have to be at the price of losing Demon/whizzer. After that point there is NOTHING expendable that would fit a big coaster. The park will almost certainly never remove American Eagle, Raging bull, superman, batman, or viper. There is no other place in the park for a coaster. On the other hand... you guys are getting a coaster at the cost of skull mountain... but you have lots of room to expand! Even if SFGAM does get a wingrider (still unsure) I'm picturing that as being another (as one poster put it) "superman ultimate fluff" with few forces and short ride time. For a G-forces fan... that isn't very exciting.

A little bit of the favoritism were things that Burke had line up for the future. I believe El Tora at Great Adventure was approved by Burke. But all the other things like Buccaneer Battle at Great America, Goliath at Over Georgia and a few others were approved by Shapiro because they came much later after Burke was left. Either that or he just had a huge line up. But even with ride renovations, Shapiro could have showed us some love and never did.

As far as it being Bizarro, I doubt it. Six Flags still has the licensing agreement with Warner Bros/DC Comics, but don't you think Bizarro left with Shapiro?

SFOG's goliath,along with La Ronde's was signed off on by Burke & Co. for 06 as it wasn't until the start of the 06 season that Snyder & Shapiro took control...remember Shaprio's :no more goliaths" speech? he gave that in response to wanting to make the chain consist of all the cost effective wiggles world/thomas town kiddie sections which of course didn't go over well in the end so they went back to the thrill ride stuff that Burke had already been doing for years.

I was hoping Snyder & Shapiro would've turned SFA around but they made the place worse by adding the stupid prefered parking & loker crap that turned most rides into pay per ride attractions but what caused me to stop going after the 07 season was the stupid addition of yet another cheapo waterslide that we didn't need when flats or a new coaster were what the park really needed.

^
And now, a Public Service Announcement...

NO PARK IS OUT OF ROOM, ESPECIALLY SFMM. Whenever you're about to post something about 'fitting in', or 'out of room', just don't.

Thanks!

Haven't seen that post before, lol.... And I didn't say out of room.... I should explain that on other sites I often post about how I LOVE when custom designed coasters are squeezed in places you didn't think a big ride would fit. Look at how all three coasters at Mt. Olympus are entangled... its REALLY cool. I would love for some ride to tangle with another coaster, but I don't see that happening due to fear of flying objects (idiots cameras). That plus SF opting for cheaper rides that are often pre-fab or cookie cutter rides means they won't have this option. That's why I said they would have to remove something (ie: classics).

You miss the point... Since 2002 We've lost 12 inversions, and we're gaining three, maybe four... with no more room left in the park. You could put a zacspin where wolf is, but that is zero inversions (technically). So... I guess my point is that while I still see good things in store for SFGAM... they will now come at a very high price. The next big coaster they add will have to be at the price of losing Demon/whizzer. After that point there is NOTHING expendable that would fit a big coaster. The park will almost certainly never remove American Eagle, Raging bull, superman, batman, or viper. There is no other place in the park for a coaster. On the other hand... you guys are getting a coaster at the cost of skull mountain... but you have lots of room to expand! Even if SFGAM does get a wingrider (still unsure) I'm picturing that as being another (as one poster put it) "superman ultimate fluff" with few forces and short ride time. For a G-forces fan... that isn't very exciting.

Well with that in mind perhaps SFI would take a break from dumping all the cap ex into that park & focus on the smaller parks for the next few years?That's what they really need to do as the previous strategy of adding major rides to SFMM,SFGRADV & SFGRAM while leaving no money to work with for the remaining parks is what really hurt them & in part led to the bankruptcy problem they faced.

SFMM in particular is the biggest culprit here because SFI foolishly believes that they need to turn the park into a stricly coasters only facility & are loosing the family market by not providing attractions geared towards them in the form of flat rides & or moderate thrill rides.They seem to forget that the parks are regional attractions,not national ones & that as a result they shouldn't care a hill of beans about what CP adds....SFI had their chance in Ohio ten years ago & they ran the park into the ground by choosing to dump all their capital into SFMM year after year & now SFWOA/GL is history as a result.

Decided to drop in here to try to maybe cheer some of you guys up.

First... let me vent so you guys know where I sit as a SFGAM coaster fan.

I don't know why you guys seem to imply SFGAM is spoiled... YES we have had a lot of things installed in the last ten years, but enthusiasts really don't (for the most part) enjoy the majority of what they've done in the last ten years. Let me put it this way... if you guys has HH, riptide bay, buccaneer battle, TWO wild mouse coasters, and a few flats added... would you really be happy? Yes we have superman ultimate flight... but really that was the only REAL coaster we got (I'm a coaster fan, I don't ride flats, and there are much cheaper, better, closer water parks). So would you be happy if you lost your most extreme coaster, replaced it with an equal or lesser coaster, and then added TWO wild mouse coasters, a splash battle... and waterpark? Would you then consider your park "spoiled"? They also removed another coaster to place that silly splash battle $8 million dollars... thats half a B&M! Plus the fortune they spent building the water park, removing the motion simulator, moving the go-carts, etc.

What you said is really based off of a "Coasters only person" point of view. I think SFGAM is REALLY lucky to get what they got in the past ten years. An awesome splash battle, a REALLY awesome water park, SUF, and lots of stuff in between. But even if they haven't added a new thrilling coaster in the a while, they still have Raging bull, Batman, Eagle, SUF, and the amazing woody that is Viper!! I think you guys over in Gurnee are really lucky to have a park like SFGAM!

Luck has nothing to do with it. In 2005 (before they sold DL, EG, closed AW, etc.) Six Flags said SFGAm, SFGAdv, SFOT, and SFMM brought in 25% of all their revenues. That's huge when you consider they were running nearly 30 properties at the time!

Putting their capital in those parks wasn't what put Six Flags in bankruptcy. Buying parks like SFA (and overpaying for many of them), and then turning around and dumping 5 coasters in a 3 year span is what ran up their debt.

KDCOASTERFAN,

I guess Shapiro thought it was cheaper at the time to invest in SFA's water park and leave the dry side alone. Back when I was ranting against his decisions, I got slashed for it because people thought it was the best thing to do, given the shape the company was in. But I wasn't a fan of him removing rides and replacing them with nothing in return. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but was it Shapiro's decision to remove Iron Eagle and replace it with a stage? Was it Shapiro's decision to remove Two-Face and replace it with nothing? Was it not Shapiro that toured our park and decided to retire Brutal Planet? Maybe it was Terry Prather, but all these things are factors that began to declined the park. Not just that, but why did he fire our old park GM, Janet Porter? She had been there since the Wild World days, if I'm correct.

The only thing I may have agreed with was cutting park hours in order to save money.