TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

A rumor that has begun circulating the last couple days is that Iron Wolf will cease operation at SFGAM on 9/5/11, despite the response a few weeks back that it isn't going anywhere. No official statement or sources, but interesting nonetheless.

Same thing with SFMM's Deja Vu going to SFNE.....I wonder where people get these rumors.

That's certainly not gonna happen as they could've sent SFOG or SFGRAM's DV to SFNE instead of selling them to other parks outside the chain....the only reason SFMM keeps theirs is for their stupid count.

With SFGRADV relocating chang could it be possible that the standup proposed back in 99 is now back on the table? this is a new management team/ownership from what the park had in the premiere parks days after all.

If y'all recall, Great Adventure vehemently denied GASM's closing weeks before when the originally rumored early-July date by posting a picture with the caption "Look what I took a picture of today... and it's RUNNING! Guess that rumored date was wrong huh?"

Here

Anyhow, it wouldn't surprise me but at the same time there are more sensical things to do with that rather large area.

I think this is a bit more likely...[attachment=0]Skull Island-Option 3.JPG[/attachment]

The scale of your ride is off in that picture; it's out of frame by about 20%... and it would be squeezing the site WAAAY too much to fit nicely.

As much as I'd like to see a more 'classic' B&M Standup at SFA, I don't see it- Georgia Scorcher would be the only design that could fit the plot nicely, and that too would be a tight squeeze to say the least.

The reason I say the B&M Floorless Compact model is this:

1.) Not as expensive as a 'full-size (Medusa, Bizarro, etc.) coaster

2.) Has a two-train capacity, ensuring a single-train at all times capacity at SFA

3.) would look good on the site without drowning out the other rides around it (As much as I liked TS/SM there, it DID distract from Wild One).

And that's even guessing it's a new coaster, too.

I think this is a bit more likely...[attachment=0]Skull Island-Option 3.JPG[/attachment]

The scale of your ride is off in that picture; it's out of frame by about 20%... and it would be squeezing the site WAAAY too much to fit nicely.

As much as I'd like to see a more 'classic' B&M Standup at SFA, I don't see it- Georgia Scorcher would be the only design that could fit the plot nicely, and that too would be a tight squeeze to say the least.

The reason I say the B&M Floorless Compact model is this:

1.) Not as expensive as a 'full-size (Medusa, Bizarro, etc.) coaster

2.) Has a two-train capacity, ensuring a single-train at all times capacity at SFA

3.) would look good on the site without drowning out the other rides around it (As much as I liked TS/SM there, it DID distract from Wild One).

And that's even guessing it's a new coaster, too.

They won't be getting a floorless as the park had said something in the past I recall about the county ot approving of the open train design as it relates to emergency evacuations even though B&M provide the platforms that fit between each row for just such a purpose....besides SFA has long been the red-headed stepchild of the chain over the past decade & were deemed long ago to be "unworthy" of a B&M calibur coaster,otherwise they would've gotten one long ago.

My guess would be yet another water ride of somse sort but regardless of whatever they get it will take a LOT of work in all areas of the park,from rides & maintenance to operations & management improvements before my friends & I even think of setting foot in this park again.

^I know you rant on this same crap all.the.time. But seriously, getting a GCI and an Intamin hyper isn't too bad. And getting a Vekoma flyer honestly isn't that bad, either, considering there are very few of them in the world and they were pretty cutting edge at the time. And even Joker's Jinx is a nice ride for them, as well. The park has underperformed for years, and that's why they aren't getting anything. They've started to clean their image up, and whaddaya know! they're getting a new ride. I'm no lover of Six Flags, but they don't exactly have the greatest park in the world to work with at SFA.

While a compact B&M floorless makes sense, my chips are on a Zac Spin. Insane only cost $7 million, wheras Daemonen, the world's smallest floorless, cost around $12 million. A Zac Spin is like nothing in the area, and would fit much more comfortably in that area than anything else. Plus, the Maximum capacity of a Zac Spin is 800 riders per hour, while that of Daemonen train B&M floorless is 1200 riders per hour, so a Zac Spin would better fit SFA. Cheap, unique, low capacity, and something new. Perfect for SFA.

My vote is also on the Zacspin. They're fun, unique and compact. Also at that price, I'd guess Six Flags bought more than one, and decided for marketing purposes to open up the SFMM version first.

I'd say these things could be the new B:TR or Vertical Velocity.

To add to the Zac Spin..no clue if this is true or not, but I had heard that originally SFA and SFNE were to recieve Zac-Spins, but when the managment changed it went to SFMM instead, and one was cancelled, so perhaps if the one at MM is viewed as a succsess they'll send to its originally planned destination?

^I know you rant on this same crap all.the.time. But seriously, getting a GCI and an Intamin hyper isn't too bad. And getting a Vekoma flyer honestly isn't that bad, either, considering there are very few of them in the world and they were pretty cutting edge at the time. And even Joker's Jinx is a nice ride for them, as well. The park has underperformed for years, and that's why they aren't getting anything. They've started to clean their image up, and whaddaya know! they're getting a new ride. I'm no lover of Six Flags, but they don't exactly have the greatest park in the world to work with at SFA.

I'm well aware of the history of the park & it's struggles & part of that has a great deal to do with the owners not having the cashflow needed to fincance large expansions....keep in mind that prior to Premier purchasing the park in 92 it had gone out of business as the previous owners went bankrupt & couldn't even generate the cash needed for maintenance & operations let alone adding new rides.

When premiere "flagged" the park as a result of the SFI purchase/takeover they were finally starting to turn things around by adding new rides,thus bringing in more crowds but after 01 that stopped & they abandoned the detailed site plans filed in 99 that included at least 8 to 10 rides to be built in the future...PBR was the last ride from that list that actually got built but the 120ft wheel & dark ride/coaster for instance never got built because,starting in 02 SFI got it in their heads that only the larger parks(SFMM & SFGRADV in particular were t he only parks they care about.GL/SFWOA,DL,EG,SFAW & the European parks all suffered as a result of that strategy & were either sold off or closed as a result.

I’ve heard a new rumor claiming that when Iron Wolf comes to Six Flags America, it will likely feature new modern style B&M Stand-Up trains and be renamed / rethemed to have some kind of Apocalypse theme. Could they possibly reuse the same basic theme that was used on the former Terminator Salvation wooden coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain earlier this year?

http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_america.htm

Screamscape is pretty dead set on this happening. I know SFA people probably wont be too happy to get a 22 year old B&M, but if it were to get new trains, I think it could be pretty good. I'm still hoping it'll stay at GRAm and you'll get yourselfs a nice Zac-Spin or Euro-Fighter.

While I'd like to see Iron Wolf stay, especially if it got new trains, it makes sense to remove it, although, like has been said, SFA people won't be happy to be getting a used coaster. The coaster has such a poor reputation, that getting new trains while at SFGAM won't help it. Except during Fright Fest, Iron Wolf never has a line, even when all the other coasters have full queues. So while it might have a poor reputation, if it does indeed receive new trains, it could end up being a great ride. It might not be that big, but it has an intense layout. So while enthusiasts might not like it, the GP at SFA will if it does receive new trains. If it doesn't receive new trains...sorry, and good luck when riding.

While I'd like to see Iron Wolf stay, especially if it got new trains, it makes sense to remove it, although, like has been said, SFA people won't be happy to be getting a used coaster. The coaster has such a poor reputation, that getting new trains while at SFGAM won't help it. Except during Fright Fest, Iron Wolf never has a line, even when all the other coasters have full queues. So while it might have a poor reputation, if it does indeed receive new trains, it could end up being a great ride. It might not be that big, but it has an intense layout. So while enthusiasts might not like it, the GP at SFA will if it does receive new trains. If it doesn't receive new trains...sorry, and good luck when riding.

I think they'll get something new & not another used coaster that'll end up sitting in the boneyard rusting away for years since,unlike with UT they're removing a ride & making space for it.

Not sure if the archives go back far enough(it has been over a decade) but the pg county planning board site might have the info pertaining to the 99 site plan filings.I know screamscape had them for a while but since removed them.

Maybe they could just fix up Roar a little and add MF trains to it. That would be a substantial improvement! To be honest, any kind of large scale coaster in that spot where SM was is just gonna look tacky. It is right in the middle of everything else. A small footprint ride is what needs to go there. Save the next biggie for out back around Superman and Batwing.

Maybe they could just fix up Roar a little and add MF trains to it. That would be a substantial improvement! To be honest, any kind of large scale coaster in that spot where SM was is just gonna look tacky. It is right in the middle of everything else. A small footprint ride is what needs to go there. Save the next biggie for out back around Superman and Batwing.

Agreed, but god forbid the park doesn't get some insane hypercoaster that does loops, while giving you a foot rub and massage, the locals will bitch about how neglected the park is.

ROAR! really does need an overhaul. It has the potential, it just hurts.

I really don't want Iron Wolf at SFAm cause I know that it won't be appreciated. Cause the park goers hate the park to begin with.

If they put new trains on it as rumored, you might be surprised. For years, IW was a good, enjoyable coaster. I have ridden it since it opened, and it wasn't always rough on the head.