TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Hopefully this is true (I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but I think it's worth posting). From Screamscape:

2012 - New Attraction - Rumor - (5/24/11) I’m not sure how solid this rumor is, but I’ve heard it said that B&M may be in talks with Six Flags America about a future project. Earlier this year we did hear that the park was on the short-list of parks for consideration for a new coaster as early as 2012. Stay tuned.

Thanks. Just when I had hopes that this thread would die out again......

Hopefully this is true (I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but I think it's worth posting). From Screamscape:

2012 - New Attraction - Rumor - (5/24/11) I’m not sure how solid this rumor is, but I’ve heard it said that B&M may be in talks with Six Flags America about a future project. Earlier this year we did hear that the park was on the short-list of parks for consideration for a new coaster as early as 2012. Stay tuned.

Sorry...

It'll die out soon enough cuz,trust me they're NOT getting a B&M...SFI gave up on this place long ago.

Does anyone know what I should expect the lines to be like at this park on a sunday in June or July? I know this park is known for not being very crowded, but I went a few years ago on a weekday and most rides were walk-on, but a few rides had hour lines due to horrible operations. I'm considering a trip, but I'm not sure if a weekend visit is the best idea.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

This just in from Six Flags America....

Six Flags America prepares final voyage for Skull Mountain

Good morning Robb,

Six Flags America announces the retirement of Skull Mountain, a unique hybrid coaster/ water flume. The ride’s last day of operation will be Sunday, July 10. The park is planning to use the space for a new project in 2012 and I’ll be announcing more information on that in the coming months.

Skull Mountain is an incredibly unique ride. I think your audience might be interested in hearing that it’s scheduled to “Walk the Plank” next month. Would you kindly share the news?

Thanks very much for your consideration.

I'm a bit sad to see this, as I always thought Skull Mountain looked pretty interesting and had some nice theming. At least the park straight out confirmed that something would go there, and while it might not be a new coaster or ride of any type, something is better than nothing.

Wow. I am pretty bummed. It seems that I have good luck with SFA and always had a great visit. Skull mountain was always open for me. I loved the ride, and so did my friends who came with. I am sad to see it go, especially because there is a ton of open fields out by superman and batwing that new attractions could be put into.

I always enjoyed skull mountain, and it's sad to see it go. However: Extended down times, mechanical failures to the extreme, elements that didn't work and generally slow capacity (I won't fault Intamin for that one) just don't make for a good ride.

However, I'm also wondering why they'd install a new attraction that close to other existing attractions, too- as that doesn't quite make too much sense; the plot of ground it's on is land-locked (Or is it Ride-Locked) on all sides, so I'm already ruling out something big/large-scale.

R.D.

^Perhaps a compact coaster? I am voting for a Gerstlauer spinner, a Zac Spin, or a Starflyer. I highly doubt SFA will invest more than $10 million into anything. It is quite odd how between 1995 and 2000, tens of millions were spent on rides. Yet, virtually nothing has been added since.

However, I'm also wondering why they'd install a new attraction that close to other existing attractions, too- as that doesn't quite make too much sense; the plot of ground it's on is land-locked (Or is it Ride-Locked) on all sides, so I'm already ruling out something big/large-scale.

What's taking its place should be fairly significant to this park.......and unfortunately liven up the fanboys a bit.

1. The subtraction must have A LOT more to do with needing to get rid of this thing than needing the space for something else, because SFA is maybe the one park in the country with the most room to expand. Or it could be a case of not upsetting those pesky neighbors again with further expansion.

2. Boo, I missed this ride last year due to needing to hit every credit on a Saturday in August.

3. Park will be improved if they add a pathway around the backside of Wild one from Roar to (not)Thomas Town. They'd be foolish not to add that option for the future.

4. DID THEY SAY SFA IS ACTUALLY ADDING SOMETHING IN 2012?????

^Perhaps a compact coaster? I am voting for a Gerstlauer spinner, a Zac Spin, or a Starflyer. I highly doubt SFA will invest more than $10 million into anything. It is quite odd how between 1995 and 2000, tens of millions were spent on rides. Yet, virtually nothing has been added since.

Yeah,2001 marked the last season of big investments being made to the park...the ride side of the park hsan't seen any new "major" rides(the new kiddieland doesn't count) since 2003 when PBR was installed,after that the focus became soley on the waterpark simply because it was cost effective & wouldn't rob the big 3 parks of any major coasters.

I'm thinking:might they be making plans to install UT on that spot? Premier rides can refurbish it & rebuild the cars so that it can fit in that landlocked space between WO & Roar.

I'd never heard of Skull Mountain but after checking it out on Youtube this is a shame, it's a pretty original ride that I wouldn't have expected at this park given it's reputation.

I rode it once a few years ago, after waiting some time for the park to get it operating. I have to give the crew and technicians credit that day: They worked their butts off to get Skull Mountain up and running (it was having all sorts of sensor problems).