TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Six Flags Great America Dark Knight Media Day

It's smarter what they did with the preshow to not have it right before riding the ride. Why, you ask? First, people might be stuck in the preshow area because you are saying that they should go on the ride right after it. So, you can't get the next group of people to go in the preshow.

Secondly, you have the space factor. That preshow is in the old theatre. After the preshow, and a little bit of line, you go in this new walkway indoors that connects the two things which is the theatre, and the coaster building. So, where are you going to put the preshow at?

Thirdly, Hard Rock Park became controversial in what they did to that one B&M coaster. You board the train right after the preshow. What happens if the train is ready to take off right away, or what happens if the train is ready to take off, but the people have to watch the video, and they can't get to the ride.

The preshow video is about 4 minutes. The preshow kind of sets the mood, but it also is used as a stall tactic so the guests feel like they are doing something else now. It's funny to see the people leave the preshow area, and think they are going to get on the line right away. Some people even left the show right away thinking that.

How did they do that? They opened the door even though they weren't supposed to, and went through. The only way that there is no people is when the ride first opens, but you aren't supposed to go through the door.

I'm thinking that the mouse coaster isn't going to exist like it is pretty soon as in the trims. It keeps on breaking down. A supervisor told me yesterday that they had to take a car off because it was having problems. I'm thinking that means because it doesn't have many trims, or brakes during the ride, that they might add some which would make much sense if you want higher capacity. That was with 6 cars, so I imagine they ran 5 very late yesterday (almost at closing time).

Putting a trim or brake on a very unimportant part to me, is not a big deal.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Opinion Dark Knight=More Hoopla Than Thrill

You're missing the point. It's not a thrill ride. It's geared for the family.

Yep, its a great coaster for a family with kids 6-12. Kids will love this ride, in fact, mine do. The only thing that should change is the sign that says "High Thrills" or something like that....because the GP goes in thinking its Raging Bull in a box, when its Ragin Cajun (minus the spin) in a box.

On a side note, I can't stand Cajun, due to all the spinning, but really have enjoyed TDK so far.

Final Opinion Dark Knight=More Hoopla Than Thrill

You're missing the point. It's not a thrill ride. It's geared for the family.

I agree, and those that have been complaining about it seem to be teenagers. When I rode it, families enjoyed it while teenagers thought it wasn't that good. Sure it may be short, but almost all indoor coasters are. It seems that almost all indoor coasters are disliked by teenagers and enthusiasts while enjoyed by families.

Even though it isn't a large Intamin or B&M, it is still a fun family coaster, and those that are complaining have been spoiled with the large coaster collections at the parks where these went.

All in all, I think Six Flags has hit nail on the head in their quest for a more family oriented coaster.

I just went back to my first post to make sure I stated this. I did. Phew!

^ It's exactly what I was thinking when I went through it. Families will love it, younger kids will love, and the "I hate everything" teenagers will hate it.

How many kids are going to come off saying I'm scared from it? That's what I'm really wondering, or have nightmares at night.

Some kids may, but those are the little ones that are probably wouldn't go on it anyway. For the record, my girls range from 5-10 and have all been on multiple times over the past week. They really enjoy it.

Many of thee teenagers that I overheard thought that this was a shooting dark ride, (especially after the preshow)and they were surprised when it was a coaster. Many of the complaints I heard in line was that the didn't want to have to "work" when riding a ride, (how lazy can you get?) and after they were upset about the ride not being larger.

I loved the ride for what it is. Sure it isn't big, but it is a lot of fun with decent theming. Sure it stops halfway through, but by this point, the car is going so fast that it would be impossible to understand the theming. Most of the theming is on the top section willed with the directional changes, and many of these are lighting effects with a few sets. While still somewhat fast, (the turns are taken fast) it is still possible to understand what is going on. it might take a few rides to see everything, but even if ridden multiple times, Dark Knight will still be fun.

Just remember to use a flash pass.

I appreciate the feedback from my opinion, but my opinion is just that- it's mine and it's my Opinion. I am not discounting those of you who like the ride or do not like the ride. I think that this ride IS geared towards the Family-Ride concept, but that's just not my cup of tea. Not everyone thinks like I do and that's okay.

I think that the younger crowds would probably appreciate this ride more than I did and that's great. . .

Dark Knight is a peppy little ride but for me personally, it just doesn't offer enough thrills or consistent theming to make me want to ride again unless it has a short wait, or unless I am with someone who hasn't ridden it.

I DO however like this ride more than the jarring (and looks like it should be more fun than it is) Rajun' Cajun.

I AM however waiting for the next Thrill-Coaster at SFGA. It's been a long time since Superman! A long, long time.....

I like the placement of the ride a lot better than it's brother at Gadv. It's kind of tucked back in the trees, while at GADv it is just sitting right there. GADv's is an eyesore IMO.

One other thing I like alot more about this one than GADv's is the indoor que. It's much nicer on a hot day than the out door que. Also the theming is nice.

I appreciate the feedback from my opinion, but my opinion is just that- it's mine and it's my Opinion. I am not discounting those of you who like the ride or do not like the ride. I think that this ride IS geared towards the Family-Ride concept, but that's just not my cup of tea. Not everyone thinks like I do and that's okay.

I don't think anyone was discounting your opinion. It came across as you didn't understand that it wasn't supposed to be a "thrill ride."

I'll be honest, it's not my cup of tea either, but it is what I think SF was aiming for. A family oriented coaster that is themed beyond anything they've ever done.

Without opinions the world, and this forum, would be pretty boring!

I believe Six Flags was aiming for a ride that would trick the tweens/teens to hop on this thing, and really like the ride. Thus, put the mouse coaster in the dark, and no one would know what the ride is. Also, being at Great America, you have to hide the fact that it's a little like Ragin Cajun, so the box conceals what it is.

Now, they took it off, but going to Six Flags website before, you would see an introduction that says psychopath, and other words which is really family orientated. I thought so. The movie is PG-13 which means it's suggested for people 13, and over. The thrilling factor at Six Flags Great America website tells me Max, and not moderate. If you go in line at Great America, the sign says High Thrill.

The commercial doesn't say that this is a family friendly ride whatsoever. The only key to smaller people going on it is that the lower height requirement. That's it. Everything else to me suggests it's going to be as exciting as Raging Bull, or Superman without actually riding it.

At Great Adventure, the president said that if you like El Toro, or Kingda Ka, you are going to like this ride too. On the website, it's in the thrill section instead of the family section.

Finally, from the Six Flags Great America website, read this description. It's doesn't sound family friendly at all: "The Dark Knight Coaster transforms guests into citizens of Gotham City — caught in the middle of a city under seige and torn apart by The Joker.

With The Dark Knight Coaster, guests experience the ride of their lives. Venturing through demented hallways of twists, turns and hallucinatory images, they are tormented by The Joker himself. Then as they set foot onto a distressed, vandalized train platform, they can only guess at what awaits them as they speed through six 180-degree hairpin turns, climb unseen hills, plunge into pitch darkness and dip into unforeseen danger. As they attempt to escape the terror, their only hope is that Gotham's Silent Guardian — Batman — can save them"

^You're right... it didn't bug me, and I probably was waiting in there for 30 minutes. Too bad the ride is way too fast to notice anything. The theming is so inconsistent that riders' minds can't figure out what they're seeing. There are so many areas of the ride where nothing happens for a few seconds. It's really odd. Also, because the ride goes by so quickly, I can't even pull out any kind of story from the theming. As far as I could tell, I was just driving around a dark box with things popping out at me.